HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

EDP WrapUp

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CommonSense

PostSubject: EDP WrapUp   Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:22 pm

I see that the EDP Fall session wraps up in Moncton on Sunday -
Wonder how it will go. Anyone attending?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Jr is in Moncton, Sr is in Saint John.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CommonSense

PostSubject: Debrief   Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 pm

So how did the sessions go? Good turnouts? Lots of potential players?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:11 pm

I was at Frye for a bit today for the Junior division. There was a huge turnout and things seemed to move along smoothly and the event looked to be well organized. Lots of coaches in attendance but as in past competition days I was disappointed to see that most seemed to be fixated only on a selected few players.

Most divisions had good representation, others like Riverview/Moncton and Saint John looked to be over represented.

East jr girls (Moncton area) had a total of 31 players and the South (Sussex-St Steven) had 43. It was obvious that there were not cuts made in those divisions for the program as the teams seemed very unbalanced and not nearly as competitive as the other divisions in attendance. The other 3 divisions had a combined total 29 kids. In my opinion numbers should not have surpassed 20 in any single division to keep things at the highest level of competitiveness. With those high numbers it gave the impression of more of a money grab than a development program.

I talked to some of the local parents that were around and they had made the same observation.

The Jr Boys numbers seemed to more in line with 45 participating boys.

Looking at on line(as I wasn't in attendance), the Senior numbers also looked to be more in line with what an EDP program should be with 60 participants for the girls and 56 for the boys with a lot of those names I'd expected to see involved.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:18 am

There wasn't any mention of players at the SR Competition Day, other than the occasional "nice pass" or "nice finish".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CommonSense

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Interesting observation, rivhoops -
- from the BNB website
"Tryout Procedure: Each RTC will hold a regional ID session. The number of athletes selected will vary by region. "
Those areas must have had an abundance of potential.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trailblazer

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:53 pm

I think that is part of the problem BNB has
They won't decide on a criteria for players to participate
Now all these kids will expect to have a fair look when it comes to provincial teams being made the numbers alone make that difficult along with all the other good players who did not participate who will come out of the woodwork and compete for roster spots
Glad I'm not involved
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CommonSense

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm

good point TrailBlazer - wondering if maybe BNB should have more than one developmental team at each level - to accommodate the large number of kids - be a good way to enhance the development of the lower players. Maybe BNB should post the 'Provincial Depth Chart' - (maybe just name, age and area) to let the kids know where they stand overall?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bev Sinclair

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 am

There was some skill in Moncton at junior EDP, but a lot of teams, so it was hard to make a lot of observations. The Fredericton region had four teams and placed all four in top seven so something's going right up there. I was there watching my niece from the Fredericton area and circled some numbers, but there weren't roster so I don't know many names. Most zones have two or three legitimate prospects. Thing is at that age, a kid can go from 5-4 to 5-9 by next fall. All in all it was fun to watch the players. I get to her games when her team comes in the Southern region so will try and follow this year a bit more and see who the next wave is. If there's someone to follow both genders, it's all good. BSinclair
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Trailblazer wrote:
I think that is part of the problem BNB has
They won't decide on a criteria for players to participate
Now all these kids will expect to have a fair look when it comes to provincial teams  being made the numbers alone make that difficult along with all the other good players who did not participate who will come out of the woodwork and compete for roster spots
Glad I'm not involved
I don't think this is a new issue and I'm not sure its something that needs fixing.

For the Southern Sr Boys EDP we ended up not cutting anyone. We took all 17 players that attended tryouts. I'm sure some people could argue not all these players are potential provincial team players but it was obvious to us during the tryouts that all of them wanted to get to that level and none of them were out-of-place.

If by including more players in EDP makes the selection of the provincials teams more difficult, then that's a fair prince to pay. Whether it's because we'll have more interested players or more qualified players, both are good "problems" to have. If we end up with 130 players at the U15 tryouts like we did 8-10 years ago then we'll just have to use larger facilities, get more coaches involved and have multiple tryouts so everyone is evaluated fairly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 pm

I can't imagine anything more challenging then identifying potential elite level athletes particularly in a region (province) where genetic diversity and advantages are often so difficult to come by. Often times elite here is not going to be determined by early success as often at is it by time and practice invested over time. That being said while there may have been room for cuts in some areas and not others (lots of regions couldn't muster 10-12 kids (overall I think the numbers balanced), I think training as many athletes as we can in high level concepts can only be helpful. No telling who's a green banana and who's just a hard working chucker this early in their careers. Its easy to tell who the yellow bananas are but often the get so overworked and demanded on in programs and by multiple sports we have difficulty retaining them for burnout reasons or just because of pressures from other sports.

We had a number of kids in one division that I worked with who on the first day I wouldn't have pegged as provincial players or even great high school players. These kids however did come every week and work at the things they were asked too. At the competitive sessions while being younger/out athleted in a lot of ways they were disciplined and executed the concepts and fundamentals we'd focused on. As a result the weaker kids made more better decisions their the weaker kids on teams they faced, and their spacing and extra points from executing well managed to balance out the points scored by teams who were more athletic. Two balanced teams had very high results when on paper they lacked some of the high end fire power of teams they faced.

I thought the Senior Division was really well. The format and timing didn't allow for much evaluation but coaches were giving feed back and kids were playing hard. Thought this went really well. I think we should be creating a depth chart though if athletes aren't willing to be charted or go to sessions/competitions to be evaluated in a level playing field and more controlled context I'm not sure what you do? I think the EDP program is doing great things and can only grow. Our biggiest challenge going forward is ensuring we retain the athletes we develop and not let/drive them to play other sports through burnout or negative experiences.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trailblazer

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 pm

By no means did I ever mean to say that having kids working with a good curriculum and good coaching and improving is a bad thing. We see kids improve from year to year everywhere I think thats one of the coolest things in sport when a kid comes out of nowhere and surprises people. All I mean to say is that my opinion is we didnt get all of our best and I hate to see kids have a false sense of where they are. A kid might have "won" games at the competition day. Does that mean they are the best player or one of in the province no not for sure. The idea of a depth chart or something like that.... good luck I wouldnt know where to begin you would have to have a travelling committee go all over the province watching games and practices. Now could you do a depth chart of the EDP participants maybe. My fear in that is that when tryouts for U15 U16 u17 come around and all of a sudden a kid in the top ten of said depth chart is now player 20 because of the talent of others who now come out, how do kids parents BNB react. Again a great problem to have but I dont know how one would deal with it.
Great conversation..we need to have more face to face opportunities to have these discussions as coaches in this province instead of ranting on here
Love the differing opinions and love the opportunity to hear from others
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EDP WrapUp   Today at 8:05 pm

Back to top Go down

EDP WrapUp
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: New Brunswick-
Jump to: