HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top High School Teams 2013/14

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Truballa

PostSubject: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Any ideas who will be the top teams in Ottawa this year? A, AA,AAA, AAAA??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Should be some very competitive games this year. AA will be interesting with Immaculata returning their key players from last year, SRB returning most of their core as well, St. Matt's and St. Pauls are always competitive, and Merivale returns their top players. Look to these teams to battle it out for top spot. With last year being a year where many public schools not having teams, there may be a team or two that get added to this list.

The triple and quad A division will be even tighter. St. Pats, Louis Riel, Glebe, West Carleton, Mother Teresa and Sacred Heart are all looking to battle for #1. I am not sure what Pius is returning to their team and I know that Lisgar looks to continue to improve and intend to compete at the ofsaa division again.

Other question marks for me that often enter the mix are Woodroffe, St. Peter, St FX, and All Saints. I simply do not know who they have and what their intentions are in terms of which division they want to compete in. How will Earl of March be this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Truballa wrote:
Any ideas who will be the top teams in Ottawa this year? A, AA,AAA, AAAA??
Coach C did a good job and has his finger on the pulse of the HS hoop scene. As in many years there is no real clear cut favourite. I do definitely like Immaculata's big 3 in Jacques, Max and Amir for AA but sounds like SRB, St. Paul, Merivale and St. FX will challenge them. As for AAA/AAAA division there are a number of teams that will battle. West Carleton, Mother Teresa, Louis Riel, St. Pats and Glebe should be solid and top, I think Sacred Heart is next group down and we should compete with everyone this year. We're playing Bell and Nepean in exhibition games early Nov, both could be in the mix this year. First tournament is Referee's Nov 14-16 I'll take a shot at a pre-season Top 10 in the city but only based on total conjecture and where top players are playing at this point:

1) Immaculata
2) West Carleton
3) Mother Teresa
4) Glebe
5) Louis Riel
6) St. Pat's
7) SRB
Merivale
9) St. FX
10) St. Paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:54 pm

Lisgar isn't Top 10, but they have picked up transfers from Bell and a Transfer from Sudbury. With a developed Junior lot adding some size and athleticism, look for Lisgar as an underdog that could cause some trouble. With no clear cut top team in AAA/AAAA, it's going to be exciting this year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Jamie, who will be the floor general for lisgar this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach McLean

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 am

baller29 wrote:
Jamie, who will be the floor general for lisgar this year?
Not sure who it will be, that's up to the senior coach, but there are definite strong options!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anyone know the schedule and the divisons for this years regular season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Gotta have Merivale on top right now considering that they won the tip off tourny. Here is my list entering the season:

1. Merivale
2. St. Pats
3. Immaculata
4. Glebe
5. West Carleton

Even though I no longer coach there, I wont include SRB in a list as I am clearly biased (though I do think they belong in the conversation with the better teams in the city). Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CBBasketball

PostSubject: What about Tier 1?   Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the Tier 1 level? It seems like a real unknown with some new teams in the division.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:21 pm

coachc wrote:
Gotta have Merivale on top right now considering that they won the tip off tourny.  Here is my list entering the season:

1. Merivale
2. St. Pats
3. Immaculata
4. Glebe
5. West Carleton

Even though I no longer coach there, I wont include SRB in a list as I am clearly biased (though I do think they belong in the conversation with the better teams in the city).   Smile
Merivale is going to be a tough team to beat, experienced, athletic and they work hard at both ends of the floor. They dominated the final from start to finish, appears to be a team on a mission. I've scheduled exhibition games with Woodroffe and Merivale so want to see where we're at? Very good opening week-end of basketball, with Perth upsetting West Carleton in the first round it shook up some brackets but they came back and ran the table to the finals. The rankings look ok except West Carleton did beat Immaculata in semi's and haven't seen Glebe at all. St. Pat's gave Merivale all they could handle in the 1/4's. Based on the week-end results:

1. Merivale
2. West Carleton
3. Immaculata
4. St. Pat's
5. Woodroffe
6. St. FX
7. Louis Riel
8. Mother Teresa
9. Glebe - they will be solid just need to see some tourney results
10. SRB - will take your word for it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Why did they change the host city for AA basketball from ottawa to perth? This would of been a special year for Ottawa teams to play at home especially the depth on the ottawa teams like Immaculata ameer, jacques, maxim. as we seen in the past tournaments and how basketball has grown in ottawa this year. It might even be jacques last year in ottawa from what ive heard. This is such a disappointment for ottawa basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm

Why did they change the host city for AA basketball from ottawa to perth? This would of been a special year for Ottawa teams to play at home especially the depth on the ottawa teams like Immaculata ameer, jacques, maxim. as we seen in the past tournaments and how basketball has grown in ottawa this year. It might even be jacques last year in ottawa from what ive heard. This is such a disappointment for ottawa basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:04 am

baller29 wrote:
From all accounts Ottawa was supposed to host this year but they basically swapped years so Ottawa will host it next year. I do agree it would have been nice for this year because we have a couple solid teams in Merivale and Immaculata. Now with only one entry coming out of Ottawa will not be easy - also add Woodroffe and St. FX to the conversation.

I realize you and scoutsfocus have a love-in for Jacques and Immaculata and they are a good team. Based on what I saw last week-end Merivale is the top team in the city and are a AA school. It's early, I didn't see the semi-final where West Carleton beat Immaculata in a close game but anyone watching sees there's some issues? Don't disagree that the talent is there but definitely takes more than that. Hopefully Jacques will play in the here and now and help Immaculata win another AA Championship. Hear rumors about possible prep school next year but he needs to focus on being the best player on the floor, every minute of every game at both ends of the floor! He's the straw that stirs the drink - as he goes so does Immaculata. Hopefully he dedicates himself to becoming the leader and PG he can be on and off the court, making his teammates better players as well as work on some weaknesses. There's no doubt he has the tools but at the higher levels any weakness will be exposed by both great players and great coaches. I will say this the fact that he's even acknowledging fans in the crowd during games even talking to them is not good. Let your play and the scoreboard do all the talking for you!

Anyways, he's a special player but Ottawa is loaded with some great talent - Max and Ameer are solid as well as Cory and Glenn (West Carleton), Eddie (Mother T), Shymar (Merivale), Yasiin (Glebe) - other players will no doubt emerge as the season progresses. Going to be a great year at all levels - good luck to all!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Each year, Ottawa produces some good teams that can compete with the best of the province particularly at the AAA, AA, and A levels so swapping years for ofsaa will not necessarily hurt Ottawa's chances at doing well when we do host again in 2015. If I am not mistaken most of Immaculata will be back then as well (except Jacques) and those guys will be another year bigger, better, and stronger. I am sure that there will be other solid teams added to the mix by then as well that no one is really talking about yet. Lester B Pearson is a AA school that did well in junior last year. By the time the 2014/2015 season rolls around, I am sure people will be talking about them as contenders. That is just one team, but there will be others. Don't worry, Ottawa will have two solid teams representing them when we host in two years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:56 am

Why don't you think that Jacques Is a special player he's been putting Ottawa on the map in this generation of Ottawa basketball he was a final cut for team Canada and Jacques has brought a lot of media into Ottawa. I am not going to point out specific media. But without him Ottawa would not get the love that we get right now. I think Jacques at the high school level and Phil scrubb in the cis is what Makes people drive up the 417 to come see Ottawa basketball. With a ofsaa in Perth how would Jacques get the love that he would get if it was in Ottawa at the ravens nest where he develop his game and where he will leave as a champion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:52 pm

baller29 wrote:
Why don't you think that Jacques Is a special player he's been putting Ottawa on the map in this generation of Ottawa basketball he was a final cut for team Canada and Jacques has brought a lot of media into Ottawa. I am not going to point out specific media. But without him Ottawa would not get the love that we get right now. I think Jacques at the high school level and Phil scrubb in the cis is what Makes people drive up the 417 to come see Ottawa basketball. With a ofsaa in Perth how would Jacques get the love that he would get if it was in Ottawa at the ravens nest where he develop his game and where he will leave as a champion.
I'm not sure who you're asking because in the last paragraph of my post I concur, "Anyways, he's a special player but Ottawa is loaded with some great talent". He's one of many players who are putting Ottawa basketball on the map...please don't also forget the many great players before him who had a hand in making Ottawa a "basketball hot-bed" long before he came on the scene. He's not a pioneer by any stretch Ottawa has long been a pretty good talent pool for many years. The internet and social media has definitely helped in the awareness and overall coverage of a player/sport. I'm not really sure Jacques is a reason people drive to Ottawa, he's one of a few top prospects. He was a last cut for the cadet team and will hopefully use that as ammunition and motivation to get better and be the best player he can be. There are a number of great PG's in his age group as well as above him? Not fair to compare but I just don't see him anywhere near or close to Tyler Ennis, Olivier Hanlan, Kevin Pangos...he could get there, only time will tell?

You have to start talking about Eddie Ekiyor who has the most potential from this area. He's an absolute "beast" (in a good way) athletically - size, wing span, hops and if he progresses could be a legitimate NBA talent. Doesn't mean he will get there, he also has a lot of work to do but physically has all the tools to be a force on the basketball scene in years to come.

My point has never been to argue that Jacques isn't a great player, just don't think he deserves legendary status just quite yet. I know Jacques and I like him - he's working hard on his game and if he takes care of the classroom and works on his weaknesses (he has some) we should hear big things from him in years to come. You can question me but based on what I saw last week-end I would probably take Shymar from Merivale if I had the option of taking any player from another team. My real point is we have some other great talent around just don't want him to be the only player we hype. This is only my opinion and that's why we have forums - in the end I think we're all about promoting Ottawa hoops!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scoutsfocus

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:53 pm

I guess that's the type of love top players in the country like jacques gets
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:14 pm

There is no doubt that Jacques is a good talent but there are other players in the city (like Eddie and others) who are just as worthy to be in the discussion of top player in the city. However, this thread is about top teams (see the title of the thread) so you may want to start a different thread to debate where Jacques fits in as a member of the city's elite.

As for the team discussion, some of this discussion will depend on how the teams performed at the Bill Wren this past weekend. Who has results of the tourny?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:52 pm

coachc wrote:
As for the team discussion, some of this discussion will depend on how the teams performed at the Bill Wren this past weekend.  Who has results of the tourny?
Results can be found at this site: http://www.tourneymachine.com/Public/Results/Tournament.aspx?IDTournament=h20131119044600487d66f0bae02834d

Click on Junior or Senior for that side of the tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
IrishCK

PostSubject: As of the Christmas Break   Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:45 am

Based on results this is what my top ten look like, keeping in mind things could change drastically in a minute with the St. Joe's Jaguar Classic coming up which has been a war of attrition in the past and usually throws teams for a loop:

1. Merivale - undefeated in league play, won three local tournaments and only taken a loss to Immaculata in overtime at the Referees/St. Pat's tourney back in November
2. St. Patrick's - undefeated in league play, only losses in Ottawa coming three times to Merivale
3. West Carleton - one loss to St. Pat's in league in play, has defeated Immaculata in tournament play
4. Immaculata - undefeated in league play, and could make a strong argument for the 3 or even 2 spot, but did lose to West Carleton in the Referees/St. Pat's tourney
5. Mother Teresa - only loss in league play was to St. Pat's, has lost to West Carleton twice
6. Lester B. Pearson - one loss in league play in a close one to Immaculata, game against St. Pat's in the Colonel By tourney came down to the last shot, and lost in the championship game of the Bill Wren to Merivale
7. Woodroffe - only loss in league play was to Merivale, made the semi-finals of the Referees/St. Pat's tournament
8. Louis Riel - athletic, big and deep as always, lost to St. Pat's in league, and Merivale at the Referees/St. Pat's tournament
9. Sacred Heart - battling injuries, only lost to teams ahead of them, has the potential to make a strong playoff run if healthy
10. St. Peter's - 2-2 in league, defeated Glebe at Glebe, lost to Louis and West, hasn't played in tournaments
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:56 am

Nice list IrishCK, but I must say I am a little surprised to see Glebe and SRB not in the top ten. Not sure who I would bump out of that list (SH is 1-3 in league play though) in order to include them. I admit that I am a bit out of the loop this year having changed schools and now coaching junior, but I would have thought that they would be in the mix for sure. You could probably shuffle the deck and put the top four teams in any order you wish, but Merivale has undoubtedly had the best start to the season still I am sure the other teams you mention feel like they can beat them on any given night too. The St. Joes tourny will go a long way in either restructuring or solidifying this list. Are all of these teams in the tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Xavier Rimrocker

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Three somewhat related questions:

1. Are the semi-finals still adjusted if there are two 4A and two 3A teams in the final four?
2. If 3 or more final four teams are 3A does the champion choose their level and the finalist represents the other level?
3. Does anyone know which schools are 4A this year? I only see the old list under administrative documents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:09 pm

here is what I believe the answers are to your questions"

1. Yes the semis are still adjusted. I know that this happened in the girls season as the playoffs were rejigged to have Louis Riel and Longfields play each other and Glebe played St. Peters even though the order of finish was LR, St. Peter, LDH, Glebe because Glebe and St. Peters are AAAA schools. Kind of too bad for LDHS as they would have much rather played St. Peters in the semis for the right to go to ofsaa as LR was hands down the best team this year and LDHS likely thought they had a shot at beating St. Peter.

2. Yes the Champion chooses where they want to go if the two finalists are AAA or lower (I add that as LR is technically a single A school I believe but they are competing in the AAA/AAAA division). If it is a AAA and a AAAA then it is pre-determined where teams are headed after the championship game.

3. St. Peter, Glebe, Canterbury for sure. I think South Carleton is as well, but they are not competing in the ofsaa division.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IrishCK

PostSubject: updated top 10   Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:53 pm

1. Merivale - undefeated in league play, won all four local tournaments they've entered and only taken a loss to Immaculata in overtime at the Referees/St. Pat's tourney back in November
2. West Carleton - lost to Merivale in Jaguar finals, one loss to St. Pat's in league in play, has defeated Immaculata in tournament play twice
3. Immaculata - undefeated in league play, has lost to West Carleton twice in tournament play (Referees/St. Pat's tourney and Jaguar Classic)
4. St. Patrick's - undefeated in league play, lost three times to Merivale and now once to Immaculata at Jaguar Classic
5. Mother Teresa - only loss in league play was to St. Pat's, has lost to West Carleton twice and Merivale once.
6. Lester B. Pearson - one loss in league play in a close one to Immaculata, game against St. Pat's in the Colonel By tourney came down to the last shot, lost in the championship game of the Bill Wren to Merivale, lost again to Merivale in Jaguar Classic
7. Woodroffe - only loss in league play was to Merivale, made the semi-finals of the Referees/St. Pat's tournament
8. Louis Riel - athletic, big and deep as always, lost to St. Pat's in league, and Merivale at the Referees/St. Pat's tournament, beat Glebe at Jaguar Classic and then lost to Crescent
9. Glebe - beat Sacred in league play but has lost to Louis Riel in first elimination round of Jaguar Classic, lost to Mother Teresa at Ashbury tournament, and has also lost to St. Peter's in league
10. Sacred Heart - has only lost to teams ahead of them, has the potential to make a strong playoff run if healthy, lost in the first round of elimination to LaSalle at Jaguar Classic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:18 pm

Again, good list IrishCK.  Only "exception" might be including 1-4 SH in the top ten.  I know they are a good team with excellent coaching, but the record has to come into play.  Do they still make the top ten?  I would put SRB or St. Joes ahead of them right now though not much to go on other than league record.

As for Immaculata, I saw them play Jeanne Mence this weekend and they looked solid.  I was quite surprised to see that they lost to West, but I think that speaks to how underrated West seems to be rather than how inconsistent Immaculata might be.  I am not sure that there is a better top 5 than Immaculata, but that might also hint at their losses.  Perhaps other teams are deeper?  In the one game I saw (small sample size I know) Jacques was taking charges, diving for loose balls, making gorgeous passes and doing what he normally does with the ball.  It was the best I have seen him play.  I know that I do not need to boost him on this forum, (as that seems to be covered by others here!), but he may be maturing into that well rounded player that inthehouse was saying he needed to become in order to be considered the best in the city.  With the inside presence that Max provides and the outside shooting that they have, they really can dominate.

Unquestionably, Merivale has to be the clear number one, but with the other teams so close, it will be interesting to see if they can maintain this for the final 5 weeks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Today at 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down

Top High School Teams 2013/14
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next