HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top High School Teams 2013/14

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
IrishCK

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:01 pm

To be honest you could very well be correct about SRB or St. Joe's. I have only seen one quarter of St. Joe's and have not seen SRB once and try to take in what I've seen in around the city when considering that list, keeping in mind that my list is by no means definitive, its just one person's opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inthehouse

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:53 am

IrishCK wrote:
1. Merivale - undefeated in league play, won all four local tournaments they've entered and only taken a loss to Immaculata in overtime at the Referees/St. Pat's tourney back in November
2. West Carleton - lost to Merivale in Jaguar finals, one loss to St. Pat's in league in play, has defeated Immaculata in tournament play twice
3. Immaculata - undefeated in league play, has lost to West Carleton twice in tournament play (Referees/St. Pat's tourney and Jaguar Classic)
4. St. Patrick's - undefeated in league play, lost three times to Merivale and now once to Immaculata at Jaguar Classic
5. Mother Teresa - only loss in league play was to St. Pat's, has lost to West Carleton twice and Merivale once.
6. Lester B. Pearson - one loss in league play in a close one to Immaculata, game against St. Pat's in the Colonel By tourney came down to the last shot, lost in the championship game of the Bill Wren to Merivale, lost again to Merivale in Jaguar Classic
7. Woodroffe - only loss in league play was to Merivale, made the semi-finals of the Referees/St. Pat's tournament
8. Louis Riel - athletic, big and deep as always, lost to St. Pat's in league, and Merivale at the Referees/St. Pat's tournament, beat Glebe at Jaguar Classic and then lost to Crescent
9. Glebe - beat Sacred in league play but has lost to Louis Riel in first elimination round of Jaguar Classic, lost to Mother Teresa at Ashbury tournament, and has also lost to St. Peter's in league
10. Sacred Heart - has only lost to teams ahead of them, has the potential to make a strong playoff run if healthy, lost in the first round of elimination to LaSalle at Jaguar Classic

I think there are 5 teams that have cemented themselves into top 5 in the city then another 10 teams in the next tier - I think IrishCK has identified the top teams and other than Merivale interchangeable:

1) Merivale - no question with tournament wins, one local losses to date - very experienced, athletic, they play hard at both ends, great shooting team have depth, going to have to play close to perfect, or catch them on a bad day to beat them. Shymar was MVP of Jag Classic and is the catalyst offensively but even more defensively
2) West Carleton - finalist in Jag Classic some good wins over Lasalle best team from Kingston, Immaculata and good showing against Merivale - good team play but simply as Cory goes so does WC - Glenn is trump card needs to play more consistently offensively and stay out of foul trouble. Loss to MT not to take anything away from MT but just finished playing 6 games on the week-end so fatigue maybe a factor?
3) Immaculata - good starting five, Jacques starting to play at both ends of the floor, their best player of course but Max is the key gives them inside presence and he's a tough match-up defensively - depth may be an issue especially if Jacques or Max get into foul trouble
4) St. Pat's - young but talented and deep - definitely a top team in the city tough loss to Immaculata in Jag classic round of 16 but still undefeated in league
5) Mother Teresa - lost to Merivale in 1/4's of Jag Classic without a couple starters and good win over WC last night in regular season. Eddie is an elite player and has some good pieces around him, he's also tough to defend and of course reeks havoc in the paint on D with shot blocking/altering ability

I still think Merivale is the cream of the crop the other four teams are definitely interchangeable and can beat each other any night. As for the rest of the teams you have Louis Riel and Glebe in the AAA/AAAA and I don't know much about the A/AA but Woodroffe, Pearson and St. Joes I've seen to date are good and have yet to see SRB so can't comment. Lots of big games to be played, stay healthy!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Truballa

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 pm

OFSAA is right around the corner! Any predictions or heavy favourites to come out of NCSSAA?
A? AA? AAA? AAAA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:21 pm

A - between OIS and Deslauriers. OIS beat Des in league play so give them the edge now, but who knows.
AA - Favourites are clearly Merivale and Immaculata. I believe that they have played each other twice and split. In my opinion, Immaculata has the most talented starting 5 in the city, but Merivale plays a better team game. It will be a good game if they meet in the finals, but give the edge to Immaculata
AAA/AAAA - gets most difficult here. I see this as a five horse race with St. Pats, Glebe, Louis Riel, West Carleton, and Mother Teresa (not in any particular order). Matchups will be key here. I have seen each team play and can't give any particular team the clear edge even though St. Pats is undefeated in league play. I see Glebe beating SH in the quarters, though SH will not go down easily, and West beating LR in the other quarter. This would set up a St. Pats vs West semi and MT vs Glebe semi. Take you pick in either of these two games for the rights to go to ofsaa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:55 am

Why did merivale not choose aaaa this year. I don't think the results this year was a fluke winning 4 tournaments in Ottawa beating henry Carr and coming 3rd at silver fox.did they not expect to see these results in the beginning of the season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:25 pm

I would guess that most of the players that came back for a fifth year did so to make a run at ofsaa. If they entered AAA/AAAA they would have had to get past West Carleton, Glebe, Mother Theresa, St. Pats, and Louis Riel for two spots at ofsaa. In AA they likely thought their main competition was Immmaculata for the one ofsaa spot and the two teams are quite evenly matched that it really is a 50/50 chance this way. What is so wrong with playing at the ofsaa level that your school is designated to play? I was a little surprised, but mostly impressed with the Silver Fox showing especially beating Carr, but good on them. Nonetheless, there are no guarantees in basketball. They could medal at AA ofsaa or not even make it there as there is strong competition just to get there. That is what makes ofsaa such an amazing accomplishment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm

what will the playoff matchups be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:48 pm

For AA it is looking like this (assuming top four from each division advance)

De La Salle @ Merivale
St. Francis Xavier @ SRB
St. Joes @ LBP
Woodroffe @ Immaculata

For AAA it is looking like this (assuming top 6 make it)

St. Pats and MT get a bye

Canterbury @ Glebe
LR @ West Carleton

Winner of Can v Glebe plays @ MT
Winner of LR v WC plays @ St. Pats

Back to top Go down
View user profile
b-ball

PostSubject: Playoff Results   Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 am

Does anyone know who won the championship from the three games yesterday as they are not on fatdog
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BJH

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:24 am

b-ball wrote:
Does anyone know who won the championship from the three games yesterday as they are not on fatdog

Ottawa Islamic beat Deslauriers
Merivale beat Immaculata 50-44
Glebe beat St. Pat's 57-53 in overtime
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hoopstarscanada.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top High School Teams 2013/14   Today at 9:04 am

Back to top Go down

Top High School Teams 2013/14
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2