HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

re:letter of intent

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
deathstar11

PostSubject: re:letter of intent   Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:07 am

What happens once a player has signed a letter of intent with ACAC school? Our son has been approached, yet we have not heard anything about scholarships or other forms of assistance. Anyone out there have experience dealing with this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Contact the ACAC through their website and ask them for their rules regarding the LOI.

Only sign an LOI once you are sure the school is right for you son and the terms of the scholarship are acceptable.

In the CIS, a player that signs an LOI can still walk away from the commitment but cannot accept any financial assistance from another school for that year. There is provision for the the school and the student to have the LOI cancelled.

Best to get the rules from the ACAC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:25 pm

ACAC doesn't have the same set up as CIS. I'm not sure a LOI policy even exists in the ACAC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:57 pm

I am in a similar situation this coming year and I did some research you might find helpful.

CCAA has no letter of intent or scholarship guidelines and leaves that to the ACAC. ACAC has no letter of intent policy and leaves that to the individual school. ACAC LOI signees are entering an agreement between themselves and the school (or coach or athletic director as the case may be) and it isn't binding from one school to another within the ACAC. These LOI forms can include inducements of scholarship money. This athletic award is generally the Jimmie Condon and its worth $900 per semester. Only permanent Alberta residents are eligible for the Jimmie Condon and this amount can also be topped up to the full tuition and required enrolment fees. ACAC member schools can only provide financial aid, specifically athletic scholarships, to student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics in a financial form, and can not exceed the student-athletes’ tuition and required enrolment fees. This does not include other scholarship funds like the Rutherford or school specific academic awards.

Ask your high school or club coach if they are familiar with the program you're considering and if they know the coach, his history and how he runs his program. That might be your best bet in determining what they're telling you can be trusted. They could entice you with promises they have no intention of keeping if it doesn't work out for them. Many athletes sign LOIs and feel like they are committed to the school and the school to them. That is not reality. They still have to make the team as a regular and only 12 Jimmie Condon scholarships are available per member institution. Many ACAC programs go into the year with open tryouts and bring in more recruits than spots, as an insurance, which means you could sign an LOI, register at the school, move to the furthest most remote areas of the province only to not make the team and be stuck at a small school in northern alberta or worse. There are no iron clad guarantees of making a team or receiving a scholarship until it actually happens. Do your research and tread carefully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:36 am

That is great research.

One coach I spoke with about playing at any college or university gave me the most valuable information a student athlete should consider before making his/her decision.

Choose your school based on academics and the programs they offer. Then consider playing basketball there. Just in case the scenario "for three" describes happens, at least your at the school you want and in the courses you need to be.

Aside from the coaches decisions the basketball season is a grind. Add in off season training and a lot of players get tired of it all well before their eligibility runs out. Especially if they are not getting the time on the floor.

Best to be happy going to that school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Good advice.

Ideally coaches want to get the best 30 players available to commit to their program and then let them battle it out for the 12 spots. They don't want to make any commitments to the players if they don't have to and they will literally say almost anything to get them. Once you're there you're stuck in a lot of ways so education should be the primary objective.

I'd like hear some specific information about certain coaches and programs as we get ready to go through this process. PM me if you're uncomfortable posting. All confidential of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathstar11

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:59 pm

ForThree, maybe you and i should exchange info............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Perhaps, but I'm positive you're better off talking to high school or club coaches who are very familiar with promoting their players to ACAC schools. I've got a great connection to one of the best coaches in the province who does both high school and club and has some experience coaching with basketball alberta. These are the kinds of people you want to talk to before committing to any program as they'll be familiar with players who have gone through various systems.

If you only talk to parents, you'll probably only hear about the negative and these experiences are probably connected to playing time. At least thats what my search has revealed so far. What you really want to know is about programs who are honest with their players, that tell their student-athletes exactly how it is and what they have to do to be successful with both basketball and school and then work with the player to get better at both. A smart coach who thinks long term will want talented and gifted recruits who are good students and intelligent players. Then they commit to making them better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: re:letter of intent   Today at 1:13 pm

Back to top Go down

re:letter of intent
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1