HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2014 National Championships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: 2014 National Championships   Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:59 pm

There was an uproar on twitter from Club coaches across Canada yesterday when news hit, that Canada Basketball would be moving up the dates for the National Championships to coincide with the NCAA Live period. My twitter feed was filled with discouraged and disappointed Club coaches from East to West. Apparently there has been zero communication between both the Clubs and Canada basketball on trying to get the top players to play at Nationals, and by moving the dates to the coveted NCAA Live period, it is basically giving the top players a choice between playing in Vegas with their club or playing in Alberta with their Province. I guess Canada Basketball has finally drawn a line in the sand with this current decision, as Clubs will likely not want their top players to lose the oppurtunity to play in the one of the biggest tournaments of the NCAA Live period.

Personally I don't know how I feel about this. But I do believe the Nationals are becoming a watered down product that has recently put out a second tier level of competition and will stay that way as Clubs gain more and more popularity across the nation. Some common ground has to be found between Clubs and Canada Basketball which now seems farther apart than ever. The top-elite players in BC, I know for a fact would love to represent their Province and play against the best competition available to them, but if given the option between Vegas and Alberta the elite talent will always choose to play against the very best and that is in Vegas. On the opposing side I do think it gives the oppurtunity for more kids to get exposure than would before, but it is clearly drawing a line, Canada Basketball is not about having the best play the best but as has been shown by us here in BC, it is more about 'wide participation' rather than 'elite competition.'

The Official Press Release from Basketball Alberta.

Basketball Alberta to Host 2014 Canada Basketball U15 and U17 Boys and Girls National Championships!
2013-10-30

Basketball Alberta is proud to announce that it will be hosting the national championships in Edmonton from July 24th – 31st at the Saville Community Sports Centre. This unprecedented event is the first time that all 4 will be hosted in one location.

The national championships will be sanctioned by the NCAA and will allow U.S. coaches to attend for the first time. CIS and CCAA coaches will also be invited. This provides an unprecedented opportunity for our Canadian athletes to play in front of coaches and scouts from both sides of the border.

Basketball Alberta’s Executive Director Paul Sir is looking forward to the opportunity. ‘The Saville Community Sports Centre provides a unique world class environment. BA is grateful that our Canadian provincial partners and Canada Basketball see the advantages this creates to host a truly special event. Our organizing committee, along with our partners at the City of Edmonton, look forward to putting a spectacular program together that the participants and spectators will remember for a long time!’
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: 2014 National Championships   Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:27 pm

I'm not sure this changes much as elite club team players were choosing their club over BBC anyways. I suppose this is discouraging for those who were hoping some kind of deal could be arranged that would allow club players to also play for their province. This does help improve exposure to those choosing to play for province.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: The Decision   Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:13 pm

I have been trying to understand what Canada Basketball was thinking with this schedule change. I am having a hard time coming up with a good reason. They say it is because:

The national championships will be sanctioned by the NCAA and will allow U.S. coaches to attend for the first time. CIS and CCAA coaches will also be invited. This provides an unprecedented opportunity for our Canadian athletes to play in front of coaches and scouts from both sides of the border.

It's true that it will allow NCAA coaches to attend. But will they? There are a series of elite tournaments taking place across the US during that same week. It is a critical "live period" where NCAA coaches can watch players in person. Las Vegas is only one of these events. There are thousands of players and hundreds of teams in one city. The best players from across the US and Canada all in one place. Many gyms with concurrent games. Coaches rushing to see hundreds of players on their list. The best players want to be there - and are.

Or coaches could go to Edmonton to see a couple good teams in a eleven-team tournament with few D1 players, if any. Most games are blow-outs. Hardly any CIS coaches even attend. It is simply not an important recruiting event.

Each NCAA D1 team is allowed three coaches to recruit at the same time. If you were a coach and must see lots of elite players, where would you go?

So this is either a miscalculation about the importance of the National Championships to NCAA coaches or it is an admission that Provincial Teams and the National Championships are now a tier-three event. Is that what it should be? I don't think so.

The Canadian National Championships should not be about recruiting, it should be about representing your province. Schedule it outside the live period during August when the best players from every province can play. Work with the clubs to make it happen.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: 2014 National Championships   Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:44 pm

I expect that BBC teams will continue to participate in US tourneys for better competition and exposure. I understand BBC boys U16s were quite competitive last year. These tourneys include those in Seattle, Portland and Vegas. 2014 Vegas Live tourney is week before nationals in Edmonton which I assume BBC teams will attend (Vegas classic is same week as nationals). One thing I do like about announcement is having boys and girls for both age groups at same venue / time.

No doubt basketball landscape is changing and it would be best if all could sit down to look at options. There is a need to re-think model and objectives of each organization and how they can best interact for betterment of players and basketball in Canada There are different objectives at play, of course egos and increasingly $. It seems it make take a few more years before there is enough impetus to try to work things out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 National Championships   Today at 1:03 am

Back to top Go down

2014 National Championships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1