HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tsumara Invitational

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lovinglifeandball

PostSubject: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:55 am

Looks like this year there will be two all star teams that will come together to play Findley Prep from Las Vegas for the Tsumara Invitational tourney. It is being held on November 30 and December 1.

I wonder who the selection committee will be and whether they will have underclassmen on the two teams. Interesting that they have decided not to have highschool teams compete like last year but have chosen to field all star teams instead. I wonder how these players will come together considering their won't be a lot of practice time as the highschool season will have just begun.

If you have anymore info please share.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:49 pm

lovinglifeandball wrote:
Looks like this year there will be two all star teams that will come together to play Findley Prep from Las Vegas for the Tsumara Invitational tourney. It is being held on November 30 and December 1.

I wonder who the selection committee will be and whether they will have underclassmen on the two teams. Interesting that they have decided not to have highschool teams compete like last year but have chosen to field all star teams instead. I wonder how these players will come together considering their won't be a lot of practice time as the highschool season will have just begun.

If you have anymore info please share.
Thanks for the update, I was wondering when the Tsumura Invitational would be announced. But I did hear this weekend from some coaches about having these all-star teams put together, not sure if they will be Grade 12's only or not, but should be interesting.
Just spit-balling here, but I've compiled a list of two teams of 10 (trying to find at least 1 player for each tier) split up based on prior playing experience with one another, thereby the players would already have some sort of chemistry with one another.
I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on who might be put together to put up the best game and on this idea of basically "All-Star" teams playing Findley Prep as opposed to regular high school teams.

TEAM 1
Jermaine Haley, Burnaby South
Jadon Cohee, Walnut Grove
Mindy Minhas, Sir Winston Churchill
Sukhjot Bains, Tamanawis
Tristan Etienne, WJ Mouat
Taylor Browne, Holy Cross
Ethan Scott, St. Georges
Jon Kongbo, Holy Cross
Kosia Zack, BC Christian
Graham Smith, Pitt Meadows

TEAM 2
Jalen Jana, STM
Martin Bogajev, Burnaby South
Denver Sparks-Guest, Gleneagle
Hayden Lejeune, Sardis
Matt Neufeld, Lambrick Park
Corey Hauck, WJ Mouat
Buzz Truss, Kelowna
Josh Charles, Cowichan
Ryan Cowley, Delta
Grant Gailbraith, Gleneagle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sim

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:37 am

That starting 5 would be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Sim wrote:
2 Div.1 commits (Cohee-Seattle U, Ettiene-Washington), 1 CIS commit (Minhas-UBC) and 2 possible future D1 commits (Haley, Bains)

Not too shabby for a potential starting 5.

Here's a quick comparison between my projected Team 1 and the current Findlay Prep roster.

Team 1-Potential Roster
NAME    POS.    YR.  HT.  WT.  SCOUT*(PLAYER RANK-via NPH)
Tristan Etienne   PF    Sr.  6-10 215   3*(#4-2014)  Washington commit
Jadon Cohee      PG    Sr.  6-4  180   2*(#14-2014) Seattle U commit
Jermaine Haley  SG    Jr.   6-6  160   2* (#4-2015)
Sukhjot Bains    SF     Sr.  6-6  185   _*(#24-2014)
Mindy Minhas     SF    Sr.  6-4  180   _*(#48-2014) UBC commit
Jon Kongbo        SF    Sr.  6-6  240   _*(#58-2014)
Taylor Browne    PG    Jr.   6-2  155   _*(#39-2015)
Ethan Scott       SG    Jr.   6-2  170   _*(#53-2015)
Kosia Cauw       PF    Sr.   6-7  185
Graham Smith    PF    Jr.   6-4  185

Findlay Prep Roster
NAME    POS.    YR.  HT.  WT.  SCOUT*(PLAYER RANK-SCOUT.com)
Kelly Oubre       SF  Sr.  6-7  205  5*(#9-2014)  Kansas commit
Rashad Vaughn   SG  Sr.  6-6  210  5*(#12-2014)
Justin Jackson   SF  So.  6-8  215  5*(#6-2016)
Craig Victor       PF  Sr.  6-7  220  4*(#23-2014) Arizona commit
Jonah Bolden     PF  Sr.  6-9  210  4*(#52-2014)
Horace Spencer   PF  Jr.  6-8  210  4*(#54-2015)
Derryck Thornton Jr. PG  So.  6-1  170  4*(#18-2016)
Dillon Brooks     SF  Jr.  6-6  215  3*(#90-2015)
Renathan Ona Embo PG  So.  6-2  170
O'Shae Brissett   SF  Fr.  6-6  175
Chidozie Nnamene   PF  Fr.  6-9  175

As you can see, Findlay Prep is as loaded as ever,  with 3 5* college prospects and potential NBA Lottery picks in Oubre, Vaughn and Toronto, ON's Jackson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:39 pm

I've heard from a couple of coaches the two most improved players in the Province they have seen are the Tamanawis big kid and the big kid from Holy Cross. I like the list but noway I'd have Graham Smith on there. I saw the big from Tammy in the summer time and IMO he is the second or third best big in the Province and would def be on there ahead of Kosia, Cowley or Smith. The fact that the team will get thrown together and not practice together will make it still pretty non competitive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:26 pm

Sim wrote:
Is this the actual list? I do know most players have all ready been told they have been selected.

Got to think Adam Karmarli has to be included.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:43 pm

fraservalley wrote:
I've heard from a couple of coaches the two most improved players in the Province they have seen are the Tamanawis big kid and the big kid from Holy Cross. I like the list but noway I'd have Graham Smith on there. I saw the big from Tammy in the summer time and IMO he is the second or third best big in the Province and would def be on there ahead of Kosia, Cowley or Smith. The fact that the team will get thrown together and not practice together will make it still pretty non competitive.
Sukhman Sandhu from Tammy, very skilled big, has improved a lot over the summer, becoming more of a low post force instead of settling for outside shots, has added some weight to his base. Holy Cross big Bright Dododza, also has shown big strides in all aspects of his game, better footwork, explosiveness, and touch around the basket.

BB fanatic wrote:
Is this the actual list? I do know most players have all ready been told they have been selected.

Got to think Adam Karmarli has to be included.
No this is not the actual list, just a hypothetical, spit-balling who I think collectively could give Findlay the most competitive game. I have not seen the final list of players, but you are right Karmali is another great Sr. PG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:44 pm

fraservalley wrote:
Definitely other very worthy choices (like some mentioned in posts )besides those listed in the two teams above but none of the players mentioned by Jesus would be out of place IMO, (including btw Graham Smith who was a monster in junior provincial tourney last year and I hear was one of the standouts on U16 BBC team who played some good competition in seattle, Portland and Vegas).

Although these teams are impressive, no doubt they will have tough time.  It would be nice for whoever is on team to have a few practices at least.  At least many of the players on list have played together at some point whether it be school, club, BBC, CP - this will at least help.

Anybody know who actually will select team and who will coach?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 pm

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/11/07/b-c-high-school-basketball-all-stars-set-to-greet-findlay-prep-at-second-annual-tsumura-invite/

B.C. rosters are not 100 per cent confirmed, but will largely be as follows as per Howards article linked above:

Nov. 30 game —
Sukh Bains (Tamanawis),
Sukhman Sandhu (Tamanawis),
Tristan Etienne (W.J. Mouat),
Corey Hauck (W.J. Mouat),
Denver Sparks-Guest (Gleneagle),
Tarik Scott (Gleneagle),
Grant Galbraith (Gleneagle),
Mindy Minhas (Sir Winston Churchill),
Jermaine Haley (Burnaby South),
Martin Bogajev (Burnaby South),
Taylor Smith (Burnaby South).
Coaches — Rich Ralston (W.J. Mouat), Mike McKay (Tamanawis).

Dec. 1 game —
Jadon Cohee (Walnut Grove),
Tyler Anderson (Walnut Grove),
Hayden Lejeune (Sardis),
Eric Rogers (Sardis),
Ryan Cowley (Delta),
Elijah Campbell-Axson (Vancouver College),
Dean Johnston (B.C. Christian Academy),
Kosia Cauw (B.C. Christian Academy),
Adam Karmali (Handsworth),
Graham Smith (Pitt Meadows),
Taylor Brown (Holy Cross),
Jomari Reyes (Terry Fox).
Coaches — George Bergen (Walnut Grove), Lloyd Scrubb (Vancouver College).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:43 am

Team 1 looks stacked when compared to Team 2.

Surprised to see Cohee not on Team 1. Any word why the twins from Holy Cross aren't on the teams? Their athleticism is what is needed against Findlay Prep. It will be interesting to see how our best do against a power house prep school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachinainteasy

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Teams look pretty even to me.

Glad to see Taylor Smith from B. South get recognized... he's been making players better for a while now but goes unnoticed by most.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Game Schedule

Saturday Nov.30
7:30pm  Senior Boys, Findlay Prep vs Select Team 1

Sunday Dec.1
12:30pm  Senior Girls, Argyle vs WJ Mouat
2:00pm  Senior Girls, South Kamloops vs Holy Cross
3:30pm  Senior Girls, Brookswood vs Oak Bay
5:00pm  Senior Boys, Findlay Prep vs Select Team 2
6:30pm  Senior Boys, WJ Moaut vs. Tamanawis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBCfan1

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:26 am

Team #2 is awful compared to #1

Cohee's Walnut team has a game same night as team 1 so he cannot be on that team. In my opinion there were a lot of snubs made.

Mark Jacobs - Saint Georges
Cordell Parker - Gleneagle
Josh Charles - Island
Buzz Truss - Kelowna
Drew Urquarth - if hes back
Stan and Henry Madu - Holy Cross

These kids are much better then some of the kids on the list. I wish more coaches around the WHOLE Province were involved in selecting the team.

On a side note no offense but who picked these coaches??

Mckay?? this is not the representation we need vs such a top school.

Hanson, Blake, Clarke and Gaurachi should all have been involved these are not high school teams so we should not have high school coaches with biases picking the team.

We add high profile coaches we increase the exposure for these kids, dont we want our local talent staying home and playing CIS? What better way then see the kids match up vs some of Americas best.

Love the all-star idea and there will always be snubs but we need to limit it, I understand Single A representation is important but in a game like this is that what we are worried about?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:01 am

BBCfan1 what is wrong with Coach Mckay?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:03 am

And Jesusshuttlesworth just because you are related to Taylor Browne it does not mean you have to hype up holy cross up all the time..

Last edited by baller10000 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BBCfan1

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:11 am

Very simple- His team did not even make the provincials last year, Bill Disbrow most BC highschool championships was not asked.
Rick Lopez last years coach of the year was not asked
Rich Goulet legend in the game also went thru a health scare not sure how much longer he will be coaching would have been an honor for him
Coach friesen at yale another long serving BC coach not included

The list goes on and on but he is new and has not won anything ever, the track record of his brother even bouncing around school to school comes into question. Nothing against Mr. Mckay but he also has a club affiliation does he not with Athelite? Were no other Club coaches invited because it sure looks like a club team format for these games why the special treatment, this is the second season he is even the head coach at the highshool. Why not even and Pacwest coaches this is an all star game not a highschool game give these kids more opportunity to get noticed even UFV's head coach or assistant would be better.

Please Baller10000- attack Jesus based on his relationship, Ask any coach in BC and they will say Taylor Browne is a top 10 player in the province and is on the short list of potential players who has a chance to win AAAA MVP this season
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:38 am

You seem to be a little to interested in Mckays life.. you know every detail about him from what club hes affiliated with to what his brother is doing...sounds like a hater to me.. who cares who the coach is anyways its a game that doesn't mean anything
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:44 am

baller10000 wrote:
And Jesusshuttlesworth just because you are related to Taylor Browne it does not mean you have to hype up holy cross up all the time..
?? When exactly did I "hype up" holy cross? I give my opinion on a lot of teams holy cross included, if you've read any of my 400 + posts you'd know I always try to come across as unbiased as possible. I try to keep the local BC hoop community as informed as possible about a myriad of basketball related topics, and give my personal opinions on on a variety of matters. I love the back and forth and dialogue on the board, 90% of the times it is smart intelligent discussion on trying to positively grow and enhance people's knowledge and understanding of the machinations of BC HS hoops but the other 10% seems to negatively derail conversations with nonsensical posts which do nothing to further the game but antagonize and disenfranchise readers of this board. Comments are always appreciated by anyone as this is an open forum, but again as I've stated in the past, be an example, this forum is read by not only adult BC hoop heads but a lot of the BC HS players themselves, with your posts be mindful and constructive, criticism is unavoidable but the way one goes about criticizing should be backed up with facts and knowledge, your allegation against me as a so-called 'holy cross homer' for my relation to a player which I have never denied and in fact embrace, is as unintelligent a retort as I've seen. I would like you to reference to me more than one post where I have "over-hyped" holy cross, if anything I under-hype the team because of my close relation, watch holy cross play for urself and if your a knowledgeable basketball fan you'll see that they are a top ten team in BC, and Taylor Browne is one of the top guards in BC, through hard work and determination Taylor and his teammates deserve any recognition given if by me or others. FYI Holy Cross was ranked in the top 25 of all high schools across the country by Canada's leading recruiting service NPH, that one fact wasn't me hyping them up but me reporting a relevant news story, get your facts straight before coming at me personally or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Biased   Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Jesus, I love what you bring to this forum, keep it up. We all bring some form of bias/paradigm to this forum. I find that your posts are objective, informative and based on your passion for the sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BB fanatic

PostSubject: Tsumara Invitational    Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:22 pm

The Tsumara Invitational is in its second year of existence. I think the Tournament is great for both coaches and players. I also think that it will evolve into a show case for talented BC players moving forward and all should grasp the concept.
The fact that Howard has the vision to look into the future for BC basketball players and help grow/support the great sport of Basketball in BC should be applauded.

We can all pick apart decisions and formats made by him or his colleagues. This being its second year, I can see a lot of great things done already in the short life of this tournament!
There are a lot of good Basketball players left off the list and wish all could be a part of it, but we all know that’s not possible.

Coaches chosen have all put in a lot of their own time in developing players in their regions during the school year and during the off season. This is a great reward to them for their involvement with the growth of our children on and off the court. They also should be applauded.

Let us all support all people who support our future leaders/children become successful adults. Let’s begin by supporting this tournament (Tsumara Invitational) by showing up at LEC, on November 30 and December 1I know it will be a great entertainment for all that love the game of Basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Your comments are a little off base. Coach McKay has coached regional and Provincial teams in the past, coached at North Delta and Tamanawis, has been a college assistant for 4 or 5 years and puts in more work for basketball in this Province then most of us do. Mike IMO is one of the top young coaches in the Province and is very respected amongst us coaches. Also, I'm not very good with the whole forum/social media and I'd like to apologize for using a players name in a previous comment, not quite sure how to edit it. I will not be mentioning players or coaches name from this point forward. Besides, who cares who is coaching? It's a scrimmage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 pm

BB fanatic wrote:
The Tsumara Invitational is in its second year of existence. I think the Tournament is great for both coaches and players. I also think that it will evolve into a show case for talented BC players moving forward and all should grasp the concept.
The fact that Howard has the vision to look into the future for BC basketball players and help grow/support the great sport of Basketball in BC should be applauded.

We can all pick apart decisions and formats made by him or his colleagues. This being its second year, I can see a lot of great things done already in the short life of this tournament!
There are a lot of good Basketball players left off the list and wish all could be a part of it, but we all know that’s not possible.

Coaches chosen have all put in a lot of their own time in developing players in their regions during the school year and during the off season. This is a great reward to them for their involvement with the growth of our children on and off the court. They also should be applauded.

Let us all support all people who support our future leaders/children become successful adults.  Let’s begin by supporting this tournament (Tsumara Invitational) by showing up at LEC, on November 30 and December 1I know it will be a great entertainment for all that love the game of Basketball.

Well said!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Tamanawis vs. WJ Mouat   Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:00 pm

The Tamanawis vs. WJ Mouat game is the most intriguing game in this event, the Findlay games should be fun but I don't think they will be competitive, Tammy and Mouat should be a good game if both teams run their full line-ups. Tamanawis seems to be in mid-season form already notching some early victories last weekend at Pitt Meadows against Pitt and Bby South, I believe. I think Tammy is too deep for Mouat as of this moment, they have the size to contain Etienne and the guard speed to keep up with Hauck, Bains will be hard to stop by anyone on the Mouat roster. Tammy by 10+.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:56 pm

USA Today's pre-season High School rankings came out, and they had Findlay Prep as the #1 team in America, should be a great event at the LEC showcasing all the top girls teams and the top two boys teams, while also giving us here a chance to catch the highest level of talent in all of north America, I count up to 4 future NBA players on the Findlay roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:37 am

Seeing Findley Prep is great and all that but I hope next year They invite the top 4 in Howard's preseason rankings for boys/girls and have them play off. Nice way to start the season off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Today at 1:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Tsumara Invitational
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next