HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tsumara Invitational

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:09 am

Saturday Nov.30 Results

Final Score:
Findlay Prep 117 TBI Selects1 75

Findlay Prep Stats
Horace Spencer 7pts 3reb 5blk 2stl
Rashad Vaughn 16pts 9reb 3ast 1stl
Derryck Thornton Jr 22pts 8teb 5ast 3stl
Justin Jackson 10pts 7reb 2ast 1stl
Jonah Bolden 11pts 8reb 4ast 3blk 1stl
Renathan Ona Embo 2pts 3reb 1stl
Dillon Brooks 10pts 4reb 2ast 1stl
O'Shae Brissett 4pts 1reb
Chidozie Nnamene 2pts 1reb
Kelly Oubre 20pts 5reb 2ast 1blk
Craig Victor 13pts 5reb 3ast

TBI Selects1 Stats
Martin Bogajev 9pts 3reb 1stl
Tristan Etienne 8pts 3reb 1ast 1blk 1stl
Corey Hauck 6pts 3ast 1stl
Sukhjot Bains 10pts 4reb 2ast
Jermaine Haley 6pts 2reb 1ast
Taylor Smith 2reb 1ast
Denver Sparks-Guest 15pts 1reb 1ast
Tarik Scott 4pts 2reb 3ast 1stl
Mindy Minhas 6pts 2reb 1ast 1stl
Grant Galbraith 11pts 7reb
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:21 am

Etienne and Bains looked like they were good enough to play with these guys. These two have the length and athleticism.
Back to top Go down
insider

PostSubject: findlay prep game   Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:53 am

Although it was merely a scrimmage, I found the line shifts made the game a complete waste of time. It was like throwing in the towel before the game even started. Anyone could have coached that game or played in it. There was no real showcase of our best vs their best. How many players can get into a groove playing line shifts. If I had known that was going to be the strategy/format, I probably would not have gone to watch. Definitely not going to watch tonight's game,  no disrespect to the players or coaches intended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 am

Sunday Dec.1 Final Score
Findlay Prep 131 TBI Selects2 56

Leading scorers:
Findlay Prep -
Rashad Vaughn 26
Kelly Oubre 23
Justin Jackson 17
Craig Victor 17
TBI Selects2 -
Jadon Cohee 15
Taylor Browne 9
Ryan Cowley 9
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:25 am

While I can appreciate that the TBI usually brings one of the premier American HS teams to BC, I think it's pointless to have them play a high school team or a "select" team b/c if I'm not mistaken, the US team has always blown out the BC team. And it's not a matter of the American team actually trying to blow out, it's just these guys get to the hoop at will and nobody can stay with them.

I think the TBI should showcase the top 6 teams in the province - doesn't have to be a tournament, it can just be a series of exhibitions. As a fan, I'd appreciate that more than seeing the top players in the province get handled by a bunch of "kids" who have the physique of grown men. A number of the BC kids looked like they didn't even want to be out there, totally intimidated by the height/length of the players on Findlay..but for those that had the confidence to at the Pilots, I applaud them.

I was only there for last night's game so I'm going off of that but a shoutout to Jadon Cohee who was matched up with Kelly Oubre and Justin Jackson but kept going at them - he got the home crowd cheering for the team a few times.

Off-topic: Toronto, ON's Justin Jackson's the equivalent of a Jr in BC and this kid's physique is light years beyond what we see in BC. Shows why there's a big gap in players between the East and West in Canada...however, for Canada Basketball this is a really good thing going forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
BasketballJones13

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:09 pm

Although I thought the games were a great a great experience for everyone who got to play/watch I think next year should have a dunk comp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Coach Yash wrote:
While I can appreciate that the TBI usually brings one of the premier American HS teams to BC, I think it's pointless to have them play a high school team or a "select" team b/c if I'm not mistaken, the US team has always blown out the BC team. And it's not a matter of the American team actually trying to blow out, it's just these guys get to the hoop at will and nobody can stay with them.

I think the TBI should showcase the top 6 teams in the province - doesn't have to be a tournament, it can just be a series of exhibitions. As a fan, I'd appreciate that more than seeing the top players in the province get handled by a bunch of "kids" who have the physique of grown men. A number of the BC kids looked like they didn't even want to be out there, totally intimidated by the height/length of the players on Findlay..but for those that had the confidence to at the Pilots, I applaud them.

I was only there for last night's game so I'm going off of that but a shoutout to Jadon Cohee who was matched up with Kelly Oubre and Justin Jackson but kept going at them - he got the home crowd cheering for the team a few times.

Off-topic: Toronto, ON's Justin Jackson's the equivalent of a Jr in BC and this kid's physique is light years beyond what we see in BC. Shows why there's a big gap in players between the East and West in Canada...however, for Canada Basketball this is a really good thing going forward.
Unfortunately my specialty seems to be adjudicating age and eligibility issues.... To clarify the point about Justin Jackson being a junior in BC (I assume you mean gr 9 or 10), in fact he would be in grade 11 in BC and is only three months away from being in grade 12. Of course that doesn't take away from your point about his physical maturity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BestHoop

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:00 pm

It's pointless since the Findlay Prep team can probably beat any CIS team and it's no fun to watch once the score is out of control. Bring the #1 and #2 high school teams up front he states and now we're talking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:09 am

Interesting event with good intentions in terms of raising profile of game. Must agree that a dunk contest would have been very entertaining. I also agree that Findlay would likely beat any BC CIS schools so I'm not too sure it makes a lot of sense that they play some good high school players who have just been thrown together. Scary thing is that it looked to me that Findlay still had another gear or two as well and they could have pushed a lot harder if they chose to. Good time to evaluate and consider options for future events.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JK

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:19 am

I thought the local Select teams played well offensively vs. Findlay Prep and should be proud they were able to put up as many points as they did.  Future games would be more competitive if they considered having a U19 Select team featuring the top high school players with the top first year university/college players.  Maybe they'd be able to schedule this next year at a time that Tristan, Jadon, Mindy, Denver, Grant, Sukhjot, Martin... could play again?

When you look at their schedule its not uncommon for Findlay Prep to win by 40+ points.  Howard Tsumara put on a great event and I think its valuable to show local kids at a young age what it takes to be competitive at the next level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:24 pm

"Aristotle wrote:

Saw some of the Tsumura Basketball Invitational last week and thought it was a great event. I was very disappointed in the effort level of some players of the Select team on Sunday. They lacked effort and competitive drive. Some looked like they did not event want to be there. I think one team should be selected of the best players who really want to compete and they should practice beforehand. As good as Findlay Prep is I believe that BC's best this year could have competed and made it a lot closer game especially if the fair play was not in play. Some players like Etienne, Cohee, Bains and Sparks-Guest competed nicely and represented themselves well, but given their athleticism, size, length and skill, can easily play at that level and to me have very bright futures ahead of them in university.

Here's to a great weekend of hoops."

Your summary pretty much sums up what was wrong with this showcase. All the players you mentioned all played on Saturday except for Cohee who definitely would have played on Saturday but had a game with his HS team. The Sunday line up was lacking in scoring, size and athleticism. Not to mention they had 12 players and were rotating every 4 minutes. Hard to get into any kind of groove especially when some players got a total of three shifts.

Hopefully next year we have a showcase of the top teams in BC competing against each other. Not sure if we as a basketball community want to adopt the same values as our counterparts in the states. Do a quick google search for "Findlay prep" and read some of the articles. This will never be the norm for Canadian kids and it really shouldn't. Focus should be on academics and if you are good enough you will be found.

Just look at this years group of players that are already signed on to play at the next level. Names that come to mind are:

M Manhas
J Cohee
T Etienne
D Sparks-Guest
G Gailbraith

And I'm sure there will be many more from this group that will be heading off to play at the next level. Prep school was not required for any of these players. Hard work, passion and a desire to succeed is what these guys to the next level.

I would love to know if anyone can list some BC players that went to prep school and where they are now in their basketball careers.

Last edited by basketballfan1 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:37 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:
"Aristotle wrote:

Saw some of the Tsumura Basketball Invitational last week and thought it was a great event. I was very disappointed in the effort level of some players of the Select team on Sunday. They lacked effort and competitive drive. Some looked like they did not event want to be there. I think one team should be selected of the best players who really want to compete and they should practice beforehand. As good as Findlay Prep is I believe that BC's best this year could have competed and made it a lot closer game especially if the fair play was not in play. Some players like Etienne, Cohee, Bains and Sparks-Guest competed nicely and represented themselves well, but given their athleticism, size, length and skill, can easily play at that level and to me have very bright futures ahead of them in university.

Here's to a great weekend of hoops."

Your summary pretty much sums up what was wrong with this showcase. All the players you mentioned all played on Saturday except for Cohee who definitely would have played on Saturday but had a game with his HS team. The Sunday line up was lacking in scoring, size and athleticism. Not to mention they had 12 players and were rotating every 4 minutes. Hard to get into any kind of groove especially when some players got a total of three shifts.

Hopefully next year we have a showcase of the top teams in BC competing against each other. Not sure if we as a basketball community want to adopt the same values as our counterparts in the states. Do a quick google search for "Findlay prep" and read some of the articles. This will never be the norm for Canadian kids and it really shouldn't be. There are already too many kids going the prep school route for this dream. Focus should be on academics and if you are good enough you will be found.

Just look at this years group of players that are already signed on to play at the next level. Names that come to mind are:

M Manhas
J Cohee
T Etienne
D Sparks-Guest
G Gailbraith

And I'm sure there will be many more from this group that will be heading off to play at the next level. Prep school was not required for any of these players. Hard work, passion and a desire to succeed is what these guys to the next level.

I would love to know if anyone can list some BC players that went to prep school and where they are now in their basketball careers.
Players referenced above are extremely talented and should have good university careers but to say they "can easily play at that level" (ie Findlay prep. level) is a stretch based on what I saw. Findlay prep didn't keep their foot on the gas for either game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:14 pm

basketballfan1 wrote:

I grew up with Ty Nurse who went to Kits..he went to Toronto to play for a year or so then went to Decatur Christian in Illinois - he's currently a Jr at Texas Tech.

I'm sure someone else would have pointed out Manroop Clair going to Huntington Prep then Hawaii and now at Seattle U.

One of my childhood friends went to a camp at Syrcause University in grade 11 and his game had significantly changed. I strongly believe even just a year at the prep level in the states will do wonders for players' games as many players cannot deal with the physicality of American ball.

All told, it was nice to see a few BC players actually go at the Findlay team.
Back to top Go down
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Coach Yash wrote:
basketballfan1 wrote:

I grew up with Ty Nurse who went to Kits..he went to Toronto to play for a year or so then went to Decatur Christian in Illinois - he's currently a Jr at Texas Tech.

I'm sure someone else would have pointed out Manroop Clair going to Huntington Prep then Hawaii and now at Seattle U.

One of my childhood friends went to a camp at Syrcause University in grade 11 and his game had significantly changed. I strongly believe even just a year at the prep level in the states will do wonders for players' games as many players cannot deal with the physicality of American ball.

All told, it was nice to see a few BC players actually go at the Findlay team.
Ty Nurse is not currently a junior at Texas Tech. He finished his years there after the 2012-13 season. His senior season he averaged 2.5 ppg, 0.8 apg and 14.4 mpg.

Didn't Cameron Smythe do a year of prep at Cushing and then committed to Carleton? I cannot quite remember…

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:44 pm

There are several types of prep schools. There are low-end take-anyone who-can-play schools, which are often just club programs affiliated with a local school, which is usually an average, or worse, academic school.

There are preps like Huntington and Findlay that recruit some of the best players in the country and are affiliated with independent schools. These are not high school programs in the traditional sense. All players  have D1 potential and it is really all about the basketball.

There are high-end athletic training academies such as IMG and Impact. IMG has very high quality training and excellent academics and has its roots in the Bollitteiri Tennis Academy. Cost is $50,000 to $80,000 per year and most kids pay full rate. Quality of players varies widely. If you can pay you can play on one of the teams.

The other kind of prep school is a traditional prep usually based in New England or Pennsylvania. These are exceptional academic schools with long histories, ivy-covered buildings, large endowments and world-class facilities. The New England prep school league is probably the best high school league in the US. They have dozens of outstanding teams and elite teams such as Brewster and New Hampton are at a similar level to Findlay with all players ending up at D1 schools. Tuition is about $50000 for boarding school and financial aid is needs-based (though some will get $$, depending on how much they need the player.....). Dustin Triano went to New Hampton. Great school and fantastic basketball program. These schools truly prepare kids for college in academics and athletics.

Some kids attend these schools as a regular part of high school (grades 9-12) and others take an extra year called a post-grad year to improve their game and chances of a scholarship. All these schools recruit kids and play in their own leagues or play exhibition games against other traditional high schools or preps.

Doing a prep year can be a great decision for a young player, but there are a lot of factors involved and not every prep works for every kid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:00 pm

Great breakdown of the prep scene Mark.
Thanks.
I think for all but the very highest end of talent it is usually a mistake to leave home to pursue the dream.  Certainly not always and less so for those who go to genuine schools down there.
Talented kids here will get the opportunities too and while staying here are a part of a team that means something to them rather than on being amongst a collection of kids not connected to their team or league.
Enjoy the experience of being with YOUR team and playing in a league and for a championship that means something to you rather than just trying to make the next step and forgetting what a great experience just being a part of a team with your friends means.  
Even those kids who get Division One scholarships might well have gotten one anyway and then a fair number that do get one come home to play after a year or so anyway.  It's not all roses in Division One.
Who do people see as the next BC player to have a shot at a Division One scholarship?
Jermaine Haley seems the only clear one I can see out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 am

Pooch wrote:
Who do people see as the next BC player to have a shot at a Division One scholarship?

If he puts on some weight and continues to grow/develop his game, I could see Izaiah Ugoalah playing D1. Not trying to start drawing NBA comparisons here, but I think he reminds you of the Michael Carter-Williams/Shaun Livingston type. I think more than anything I was really impressed with how he moves on defense and his length is going to cause problems for players.
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Pooch wrote:
Great breakdown of the prep scene Mark.
Thanks.
I think for all but the very highest end of talent it is usually a mistake to leave home to pursue the dream.  Certainly not always and less so for those who go to genuine schools down there.
Talented kids here will get the opportunities too and while staying here are a part of a team that means something to them rather than on being amongst a collection of kids not connected to their team or league.
Enjoy the experience of being with YOUR team and playing in a league and for a championship that means something to you rather than just trying to make the next step and forgetting what a great experience just being a part of a team with your friends means.  
Even those kids who get Division One scholarships might well have gotten one anyway and then a fair number that do get one come home to play after a year or so anyway.  It's not all roses in Division One.

Not sure that is all true. The New England Prep school league is filled with real teams, with players connected to the programs and fighting for a well-contested championship with more than just two teams. There are rivalries, and competition and high level basketball. There is also basketball at some of the leagues that is not much different than BC high school ball, depending of the level (AAA, AA, A, Class B, Class C, Class D). It is mostly in the context of challenging academics. It is costly if a student is not receiving financial support as a high-level prospect, and it is not for everyone (and not saying it is for my son), but it is a viable alternative and, chosen correctly, can be every bit as good an experience as it is in BC. I say all this with no disrespect to the first-rate experience my son is having at his school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 pm

On the topic of prep schools:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/ontario-program-aims-to-keep-canadas-basketball-talent-at-home/article15819820/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tsumara Invitational   Today at 9:06 am

Back to top Go down

Tsumara Invitational
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2