HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2013-14 Top 10 Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
HisAirness

PostSubject: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:21 pm

Ok again this year it looks like we are going to have a tone of topic going on about this but let be real and try to look at the top ten boys teams across the province regardless of class or even more ridiculous zone. It is very early so a lot of the big match ups have not been played and other scores not being reported here is my first crack .....let the games begin

1) KVHS  Based on a second place finish at the Lions Den this past weekend. Didn’t run into the other big two but just got farther
2) LHHS Huge win over FHS probable puts them in first but they ran into a strong Auburn this weekend and did not see KV in the Final
3) FHS Played close to Woodstock and lost to LHHS (this is why we play the games)preseason favorite get dethroned  by the first week
4) SJHS Great guard play very good bigs they just need to win a few games should be a good battle in the south between them and KV
5) Riverview Strong showing at the Simonds tip off. Should be the team to beat in the north east but needs to win some big games like SJHS
6) Carton North Big Strong team not a bad weekend at the lions Den have a great schedule this year will only get better
7) Moncton High won the Miramichi Hoop Classic Very young squad had a come from behind win over Rothesay to get in the final
8 ) Woodstock Well coached hard working group of players they will always be up for the big games good showing against FHS this weekend
9) Rothesay High had an ok weekend in Miramichi let a 19 point lead slip away to Moncton but beat Bernice MacNaughton for a third place finish
10) Bernice MacNaughton shakey start to the season without Tatlock they will not be at the bottom of the list for long will fight for top team in the NE later in the season

Other teams in contention Hartland very good squad with Orser and Foster they will slip on the list with a few big wins. Harvey solid young squad will be a force in A this season. Mathiue Martin should be a good group just need to see some scores.  Sussex well coached and some tenacious young talent. We could also see Miramichi Valley surprise some of the Moncton squads  
Im sure I have missed someone here but lets start the debate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: MVHS   Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:10 pm

I say that MVHS is going to surprise alot of schools and should be around number 7 .   Beat Moncton High tonight by 13
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Looking like KV is the front runner in AAA men...they defeated FHS by 2 pts in Cobequid tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 am

1. KVHS - until someone in NB knocks them off
2. Leo Hayes
3. FHS - Totally different team without Nelson...and he might not be back
4. Carleton North - by far best team in AA; excellent weekend in Cobequid
5. Riverview - interchangeable with SJHS
6. Saint John High - interchangeable with RHS
7. Moncton High - young and well-coached
8. MacNaughton - will be a different team with full squad
9. Miramichi Valley - most underrated team in the province
10. Rothesay High - tough schedule so far; well-coached; favourite to meet CN at HS
10a. Woodstock High - unfortunately, team on the outside looking in at CN and Rothesay
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:13 am

Not to take anything away from Saint John High or Rothesay but would Hartland have a case to replace one of them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm

Metta Peace wrote:
Not to take anything away from Saint John High or Rothesay but would Hartland have a case to replace one of them?
It would be very rare for an A school to be able to compete with top AAA teams. They typically just don't have the depth. There are always examples (Grand Manan beating FHS at the Dairytown) but it's not common. I think they need to beat a top AA first before breaking into the top 10.

BTW...I think a couple of results are not being factored into the latest rankings...
- Harrison Trimble beat Riverview by 20+
- Rothesay beat McNaughton by 4 & MVHS by 15
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
retro baller

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:52 pm

Common Sense wrote:
1.  KVHS - until someone in NB knocks them off
2.  Leo Hayes
3.  FHS - Totally different team without Nelson...and he might not be back
4.  Carleton North - by far best team in AA; excellent weekend in Cobequid
5.  Riverview - interchangeable with SJHS
6.  Saint John High - interchangeable with RHS
7.  Moncton High - young and well-coached
8.  MacNaughton - will be a different team with full squad
9.  Miramichi Valley - most underrated team in the province
10. Rothesay High - tough schedule so far; well-coached; favourite to meet CN at HS
10a.  Woodstock High - unfortunately, team on the outside looking in at CN and Rothesay
How is it possible that Woodstock is "on the outside looking in at CN and Rothesay" when they only lost to FHS by 20 early in the season and more recently played Leo Hayes within 6 points? Has Rothesay played the second best team in the province under 10 points yet??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Making a case for a team to have an higher rank by highlighting losses is an interesting approach.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
retro baller

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Red Auerbach wrote:
Making a case for a team to have an higher rank by highlighting losses is an interesting approach.  
I believe that it's a pretty good case when a AA team that is said to not be a legit contender in their league battles very closely with the second best AAA team province wide and only comes up 6 points short. I could highlight wins against some mediocre A and AA teams but Woodstock has played, and played well, against mainly AAA teams so far. If I recall correctly they were brushed off early last season as well and ended up knocking off the #1 AA team to get to HS. An interesting season ahead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Leo Hayes is definitely not the "second" best team in the province. To be ranked that high, you need to be consistent and put out the same level of intensity and effort against each and every opponent. They haven't proven that they can do that, with 40 and 50 point + losses to teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:05 am

Hartland, an "A" school beat "AAA" St. John last year, I'd say there is definitely a case....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:19 am

1. KVHS - until someone in NB knocks them off
2. Leo Hayes
3. FHS - Totally different team without Nelson...and he might not be back
4. Carleton North - by far best team in AA; excellent weekend in Cobequid
5. Riverview - interchangeable with SJHS
6. Saint John High - interchangeable with RHS
7. Moncton High - young and well-coached
8. MacNaughton - will be a different team with full squad
9. Miramichi Valley - most underrated team in the province
10a. Woodstock High - unfortunately, team on the outside looking in at CN and Rothesay

I agree with the Top four teams. but the rest could go anyway. Harrison Trimble should be mentioned on this list, Rothesay and Woodstock meet at woodstock tmr night and should be an entertaining game. I am very impressed watching Carleton North so far in this young season, Kids play very hard and Oliver Ebbett has come from no wheres. KV seems to be the team to beat in AAA when healthy. however do not count out FHS as they are banged up right now. I have watched KV play 3 times now and am very impress with their team, very young and fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zelo7

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:01 am

Hartland also beat Mathieu Martine this weekend 75-69 and Hartland didnt play the best they could have so thats two AAA schools hartland has beaten
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:40 am

zelo7 wrote:
Hartland also beat Mathieu Martine this weekend 75-69 and Hartland didnt play the best they could have so thats two AAA schools hartland has beaten
If Hartland beats Rothesay or Woodstock in their next exhibition meeting, they deserve a top 10. They should be beating both of these teams . Until that happens...they are on the outside looking in. The Thunder Valley will also give everyone a clearer perception of where they should be ranked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 pm

1. KVHS - Currently unbeaten in NB (very young and great team to watch)
2. Leo Hayes- because they beat FHS
3. FHS - Could be 1 or 2. ( Injuries hurting them right now, Val could or could not be back)
4. CNHS - Very impressive team however outside starting 5 bench is very weak to compete against top 3.
5.Riverview
6. SJHS
7. Harrison Trimble
8. Woodstock
9. MVHS
10.Moncton High

5 - 10 can be interchangeable,
outside the top 10 - Magnaughton, Rothesay, Simonds, Sussex, Hartland
Rothesay lost to woodstock by 17 points last night in woodstock. Hartland also lost to Woodstock by six points currently so they do not deserve to be mentioned yet so stop talking about it. I could be missing another AAA team here if I am please let me know.
Don't get me wrong, Hartland has an alright team but they have to show some wins against the top 10 to get on the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:37 pm

Here's my Top 10:

1. FHS- They're still the best team in the province. They're missing their best player(may or may not be back) and have only lost games with significant injuries.

2. KVHS- Undefeated in NB and beat FHS by 2 pts...keep in mind that FHS did play the game without Nelson, Eddy, and Park (very young team)

3. LHHS- Undefeated in NB and beat FHS by 3 pts, with a 3 with 8 secs left. Not consistent enough to beat top teams on a regular basis.(very young team)

4. SJHS- Who knows where they should be ranked? They definitely have a talented group of players, but rarely play a "top notch" schedule. I think this is where they should be.

5. Carleton North- Will play some very tough AAA teams this year and should be the odds on favorite to win AA

6. Harrison Trimble- A 20+ win in a league game against Riverview should make them the favorite to win the North-East.

7. Riverview- Have some very talented players and should put together a solid season.

8. Woodstock- Have one of the best/versatile players in the province...work extremely hard and very difficult to beat at home.

9. Bernice McNaughton- Very good coaching staff who will have their team ready to play by season's end.

10. Miramichi Valley- Very underrated team...very athletic and well coached. Will be a tough out if they have time to prepare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisLife6

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Does Riverviews 2 40 point wins against trimble count for nothing? Also from what I've heard it looks like their (best player) may not be back for awhile so can you really be using him as a reason for them to be number 1, losses are losses FHS doesn't deserve the number one spot at this moment, maybe come january, but right now no.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:46 am

Top 10 has to be based on fact and not what if or with healthy. FHS cant be at the top. Riverview losing to HTHS is no reason to put trimble ahead of them but at the same time the coaching staff at riverview better figure out why a team they beat handily twice beat them by20+ that is a pretty big problem and needs to be fixed or they are in trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:10 am

Ok...we'll say it this way then. I believe that this is the proper order. Fact is, Harrison Trimble won the league game by 20+ points, which tend to be more important then the others.

I just look at the FHS win over Auburn...and how Auburn beat KV by 20 pts and LHHS by 50 pts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Why are you comparing what they did against another team when they played each other and Fredericton lost. And I have seen trimble and riverview both play and riverview had a horrible game ,period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NBHoops7

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Can anyone shed any light on results from the weekend on the boys side?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Weekend   Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:44 pm

SVHS won the Oromocto tourney.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
retro baller

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:50 pm

WHS won the Rothesay tournament
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Anyone know the Scores from the Rothesay Tournament? who did Woodstock play there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:32 pm

I believe Saint John High held a tournament as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Today at 3:48 am

Back to top Go down

2013-14 Top 10 Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next