HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2013-14 Top 10 Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:06 pm

SJHS made a major statement tonight beating KV in the valley. They trailed the entire game until they took the lead at crunch time and held on to win it at the line. The Greyhounds showed good composure and mental toughness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:57 am

wow Huge win for SJ! as for the WHS and CNHS Game tonight I'm saying CNHS by 15+. Woodstock does have one of the best players in the province in Keagan Gray and it will be interesting to see if he gets the supporting cast to help him tonight in a rival game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NBHoops7

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Woodstock doesn't have anyone to help Keegan at all. Their bigs are the softest i've seen from a Woodstock team in a long time.

CN by 25.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm

NBHoops7 wrote:
Woodstock doesn't have anyone to help Keegan at all. Their bigs are the softest i've seen from a Woodstock team in a long time.

CN by 25.

Carleton North by single digits
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sg9

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Commen Sense and NBHoops7 were a tad off.

Woodstock 70 - CNHS 60 final score in CN's gym

30-35 point difference, looks as though CN isn't as good as they hyped up to be.

Lawrence and Cheney easily handled them inside on both ends, not a weak pair. The Grays lead the offensive charge from the point and forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sg9

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Commen Sense and NBHoops7 were a tad off.

Woodstock 70 - CNHS 60 final score in CN's gym

30-35 point difference, looks as though CN isn't as good as they hyped up to be.

Lawrence and Cheney easily handled them inside on both ends, not a weak pair. The Grays lead the offensive charge from the point and forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:24 am

NBHoops7 wrote:

CN by 25.

How did Keegan score 70 points all by himself and get all the defensive stops? That must be a NB record!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:41 am

Great win for woodstock last night! they just wanted it more then CN. I havent seen emails from Gail yet but Keegan had about 30 im guessing. Ben and Colby played very well and Jamin gave them good minutes.

CN struggled from the gate never leading at any point in the game, Keegan Owned Ebbett, only player on CN that impressed me last night was the broad kid. I do not think this CN team is good at all and Woodstock will beat them. the big kid for CN is very weak and gets in foul trouble. I have seen Rothesay a few times and I think Cn is #3 in AA

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: WHS vs CNHS   Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:40 am

As for Woodstocks bigs being soft that may be true sometimes for Lawrence but not Chaney. Last night Lawrence was dominant at both ends. With efforts like that college coaches should be taking a look. 6ft6 and strong with a soft touch. Keegan dominated every aspect of the game, CN was unable to contain him. CNHS has more depth than WHS but WHS out worked and out coached CNHS last night hands down. Only one game but it appears WHS is on the right track.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dewey_NB

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Great Win Woody, I guess I should of made the trip up, but we all know its only 1 game, I think Scott doesn't mind being the under dog this year, Might surprise a few, I predict a CN vs Thunder Finals at Harbour station
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:08 pm

coachnb6 wrote:
Great win for woodstock last night! they just wanted it more then CN. I havent seen emails from Gail yet but Keegan had about 30 im guessing. Ben and Colby played very well and Jamin gave them good minutes.

CN struggled from the gate never leading at any point in the game, Keegan Owned Ebbett, only player on CN that impressed me last night was the broad kid. I do not think this CN team is good at all and Woodstock will beat them. the big kid for CN is very weak and gets in foul trouble. I have seen Rothesay a few times and I think Cn is #3 in AA

As a completely neutral observer who picked CN by 25, I will say this -

1.  Woodstock was better last night, no question.
2.  Keegan was excellent, Lawrence was much better than advertised but he can disappear, and Cheney was very good.
3.  Carleton North simply played bad; Broad was their best player for sure last night although Ebbett does a lot of things and is their best player
4.  Kinney is the cockiest player I have ever seen for being the 4th best player on his team
5. CN would wipe the floor with Rothesay for a joke and is still the best team in AA in my opinion
6. Woodstock better remember that they won the first one last year too and then lost three straight to CN
Prediction:  CN is the best team in AA, had an off night, and will still win it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:36 pm

Sad part is both WHS and CNHS should be AAA not enough competition in league for them. AAA would be better with them in it and AA would be more interesting with them gone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warrior98

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:49 pm

Dewey couldn't have said it better...Woodstock right back in harbour again! The Warriors should be able to handle Rothesay in the finals this year easily! Always have been a big fan of solid post play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Powerball wrote:
Sad part is both WHS and CNHS should be AAA not enough competition in league for them. AAA would be better with them in it and AA would be more interesting with them gone.

No offence, but CN won for the first time in like 20 years last year so why should they be moved to AAA? If that's the case, Tantramar should have been moved a few years ago, St. Stephen should be gone...where would you like to stop?

Saying that, there is a 0% chance that CN will not be at Harbour Station....lock it in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:35 am

CN looked very good on the weekend! Does the Thunder Valley change the top 10 ratings any?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sg9

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:00 pm

Thunder take the win at the Potato Barrel AGAIN. It was a close game at the end, only because 3 of Woodstock's starters (Ben Gray, Cheney and Lawrence) fouled out in large part to pour officiating. They were up by 17 before those 3 had to sit, then Anderson and Hunter Gray came off the bench and finished them off with a key basket and made free throws.

It did get close but Woodstock's bench held off CN's starters 54-51 in CN.

Woodstock is deeper and if your not convinced that they are the top AA team in NB then there is no changing your mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dewey_NB

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:09 pm

sg9 wrote:
Thunder take the win at the Potato Barrel AGAIN. It was a close game at the end, only because 3 of Woodstock's starters (Ben Gray, Cheney and Lawrence) fouled out in large part to pour officiating. They were up by 17 before those 3 had to sit, then Anderson and Hunter Gray came off the bench and finished them off with a key basket and made free throws.

Woodstock is deeper and if your not convinced that they are the top AA team in NB then there is no changing your mind.
GOOD For the THUNDER, hard to believe you would of got BAD reffing with those 2, hahaha, never made the trip up, kinda kick myself in the A$$ now, but ohh well, the MAIN Game to win will be coming in a Few weeks in Saint John, the only one that counts in my books....THUNDER ROCKS...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:47 am

sg9 wrote:

I wasn't at the game but my understanding is 2 of the top refs did that game...both of them have been to Harbour. I find it hard to believe it was bad officiating?...but again I was not there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:03 am

celtic wrote:
sg9 wrote:

I wasn't at the game but my understanding is 2 of the top refs did that game...both of them have been to Harbour. I find it hard to believe it was bad officiating?...but again I was not there

I watched CN play all weekend( and was very impressed) (other then finals which was a very ugly game to watch for both teams) CN struggled getting anything going offensively again. They have yet to give woodstock a good game yet and credit Woodstock's team defense however I think it's just a matter of time until they figure it out. and who knows maybe they wont figure it out some teams just do not match up well with other teams and I think thats the problem for CN with Woodstock right now. I agree with SG9 and woodstock is the #1 team in AA until they are knocked off. Congrats to the thunder for winning this past weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nballer25

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:54 pm

I do agree, Thunder does have a deeper bench and more provincial players with experience..although that does not make a difference. To me these 2 teams are dead lock even in skill, coaching ect. So my final opinion they are both number one to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:44 pm

I've seen both these teams play a number of times now, haven't seen them against each other.

From what I've seen Woodstock has 2-3 guards and 2-3 big kids/ kids who play big who they can move in and out. After 7-8 deep there is a big drop off. THeir best guard is dramatically better then CN's best, and their big post while inconsistent has a very high top end compared to what I've seen from CN's big kid.

CN on the other hand has 10-11 kids who can go in and contribute in the way that they play. They run, pressure and play hard. Defensively they give you a number of looks and get after the ball hard.

I think in terms of teams CNHS is probably deeper and more athletic. WHS has a couple of higher end basketball players comparitively. Against most other good teams and the top teams in the province I would think CNHS would be the better pick simply because they are deeper and do a wider variety of things.

For me the issue is that head to head I think Woodstock creates to many matchup problems. CNHS relies on heavy pressure and forcing poor decisions and WHS has arguably the coolest and most level headed PG in the province. CNHS doesn't have a lot of size and WHS has bigs and pound the interior defense/boards very well. They also will always give each other their best shot their best kids have so relying on the bench is not normally going to be an issue and since they play each other mostly in their own region officiating wise the game is going to be physical and chances foul trouble become an issue are reduced.

I think WHS knows who they are with a very clear identity of who they are and what they want to do especially vs CNHS. CNHS has so many athletes and tries to do so many different things that they've yet to settle on a clear identity and style/plan for taking on Woodstock specifically.

I think both teams are top teams and that on paper I like CNHS better but right now WHS has their number and head to head may have the advantage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:28 pm

haven't been here in long time. but powerball hit it on the head, whs should have stayed aaa. both teams probably.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NBHoops7

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Why should they have stayed AAA? They have less than 700 students to draw from and cannot compete with the top teams in AAA. Although they still play at a higher level than most schools with their population, they should not be punished for that. They went AAA for 2 years and were in the top 2 in the province both years. They are nowhere near the level that the top two are this year, or have been for the past few years.

Also, WHS and CNHS both being AA has reignited a rivalry that has been lacking in the past few years. I know you will say they could still have the rivalry in AAA but something about the anticipation of them playing a game at Harbour Station makes it seem that much bigger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:25 pm

Two schools of thought...move up and challenge your players..or, stay back and put pressure on other programs to improve if they want to compete. I doubt the top "AAA" teams get the pressure of moving up like the good "A" and "AA" schools. Perhaps they could join the small college league instead of High School... wouldn't that be grand. Schools that move up can impact other schools with travel and interlocking schedules..conferences become weaker,etc. More to it than just moving up. I know some schools were allowed to move up to avoid travel and would not have done that well in the division they were in...not so much the case now though..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheR3alKwameBr0wn$$

PostSubject: SJHS BIGS vs RHS BIGS   Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Both SJHS and RHS seem to be strong forces in the paint in their respective conferences, however which teams post play is more dominate? Also should FHS's bigs be brought into the discussion?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2013-14 Top 10 Boys   Today at 12:43 am

Back to top Go down

2013-14 Top 10 Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next