HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Underrated BC players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BasedGod

PostSubject: Underrated BC players   Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Besides Cohee, Ettiene, Bennett-Boire and other big names in BC. Who do you think deserves more credit? Some names I quickly came up with would be:

Liam Hancock (Terry Fox)
Tamam Gasmalla (Heritage Woods)
Antonio Jhuty (RC Palmer)
Graham Smith (Pitt Meadows)
Graham Miller (Charles Best)
Eric Rogers (Sardis)
Cordell Parker (Gleneagle)
Adam Karmali (Handsworth)

Agree or Disagree? Have more names in mind? Post your thoughts

Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:50 pm

Joe Davis (grade 12 at Westsyde, Kamloops) 6'6" F - great basketball IQ, great post footwork and a workhorse
Evan Helgason (grade 12 at NorKam, Kamloops) 6'3" G - one of the most explosive athletes I have ever seen at that age

Both are quite good CIS prospects.

EDIT: added more info

Last edited by okanaganbball on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VicFan

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Interesting topic because most discussions are all about LM players, so anyone outside of LM could be part of discussion.

On the South Island a few of the the elite players are Collumbin, Stinson, Jordache (Claremont - all Gr 12's), Neufeld (Lambrick - Gr 12), Matt Gray (Oak Bay-Gr 11) & of course Josh Charles (Cowichan - Gr 11). Below is a list of a few players that might well be more well-known by Tourney time.

Jaamel Slack - Claremont (Gr 12)
Ashton McKinnon - Mt Doug (Gr 12)
Adam Benrabah - Mt Doug (Gr 12)
Graham Hyde-Lay - SMUS (Gr 11)
Timo Weimer - Oak Bay (Gr 12)
Atlas St Paul Butler - Oak Bay (Gr 11)

I know there's a few other kids from Edward Milne & Gulf Island Sec, just don't know them as well. Be interesting to hear what others think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:46 pm

Well done Basedgod! Great to hear about other good players in the Province. I liked the way Ryan Cowley competed at Canadian Nationals and against Findlay Prep and Grant Gailbrath has a nice low-post game. Adam Karmali is very underrated. Great lead guard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BestHoop

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:46 pm

The PG for Lord Tweedsmuir is a great player. love his game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JK

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Jomari Reyes is amongst the best point guards in BC. Very high basketball IQ and one of the best passers and most consistent 3 point shooters. Strong leader and very dedicated to the game. He knows how to make others around him better and at the next level I think some lucky college coach will be very happy they signed him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachStone21

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:20 pm

arnold macalipay is one of the best smartest pg in the game and only gr 11.... Plays in richmond at mcroberts so i see arnold play a lot..

also Umar Tung a great shooter but 5'10 but very good player getting open and as had three 30+ games this yr already

Palmer
Antonio J.
Gurjit P

McNair
Royce Sargerant

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:28 pm

There are tonnes of players who work their back off but do not have any one to promote them in this forum. I am seeing all kind of names are being reeled out by few here. Nothing wrong in self promotion but be modest in hyping up your wards. Many will find out it is not true when they see them playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BasedGod

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:01 pm

No self promotion, we're just trying to give to the people who we think deserve more recognition. Just putting them out on the lookout when you might seem them play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Lord Tweedsmuir's PG I believe is Brett Norris, BBC Boys U16 member, he is a wiry guard, who is quick, and can to the basket with ease, also ultra competitive and has grown in height and his game immensely from his Jr. years.

Good list of players compiled, but it's hard to call them underrated, mostly all the names listed aside from a few are kids who played for Basketball BC, so just by that fact they have been recognized as top players in the province already, just by making the team.

But I would like to know of names of players to look out for who have not gotten the rub from playing for any of the high-profile clubs or BBC, any kids who are truly under the radar?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:38 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
But I would like to know of names of players to look out for who have not gotten the rub from playing for any of the high-profile clubs or BBC, any kids who are truly under the radar?

Good initiative J.  We all know only a handful will go to D1 and few to CIS and many to colleges. Everyone deserved a pat on their back for balancing school work and basketball.  I want to see a list of student athletes who excel on both - like above 90's in school and strong in basketball. These are kids who we should be more proud of.  I don't have any names and would like everyone to chip in if you know any student-athletes .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Evan Helgason at NorKam fits the "under the radar" bill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BasedGod

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:36 am

Matt Cooley from Terry Fox is the most versatile big man in the league standing at a solid 6'7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BestHoop

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:43 am

Not to build up my own players. But we have a gr 11 Zach Allan about 6'3. Like many juniors jumping to seniors if he ever grasp the speed and physical play at the senior level he will be a very solid player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BestHoop

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:46 am

As for Graham I think playing up last season really helped him start this season focus. He is scoring at will so far this season but his weakness is just that he's too nice. He needs to be a lil tougher and meaner. Not counting the last game where he injured his shooting hand and barely played, he's averaging 26pts 9rbs and 3 assists per game thru 5 games so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 am

Lord Tweedsmuir's PG I believe is Brett Norris, BBC Boys U16 member, he is a wiry guard, who is quick, and can to the basket with ease, also ultra competitive and has grown in height and his game immensely from his Jr. years.

Good list of players compiled, but it's hard to call them underrated, mostly all the names listed aside from a few are kids who played for Basketball BC, so just by that fact they have been recognized as top players in the province already, just by making the team.

I know Jesus will appreciate me saying this but Wowie Untalan (Gr 11, G, Delview) has the potential to be a real nice scorer. According to BCHSBBA site & the stats submitted by his team, he's at 27ppg over 6 games.  Nice shooting stroke and he can get his shot off with ease, just needs to learn different ways to score + use his left hand.

Ravi Basra (Gr 11, PG, Winderemere) played allBall and is a very nice and crafty PG for the East Van team. I've seen him play since he was in grade 9 and he has a ton of confidence despite being on the slender side. He's improved his shot significantly over the last year and does a bit of everything on both sides of the ball.

David Ta (Gr 12, G, Killarney) to me has really been "under the radar" although I'm sure a few people on this board know of him. He has some off-court issues that have prevented him from being as effective as he can be. Disclsoure: I coached him at Killarney last year and this kid could single handedly take over games (e.g. we were down 20 to Port Moody in one game and we ended up winning by 8-10 points b/c he really turned it on). Has an amazing shot (I'd put it up there as among the best in the province) and he's really athletic for a short guard. Had a few 40-50 pt games last year and ended with something like 25 a game. Not over hyping this kid as he's tried out/jumped around club programs and due to academic issues he may not get a ton of PT this year, but if he wasn't his own worst enemy, he'd be one people would notice.

I don't know if Nic Trinic (Gr 11, F, Burnaby South) gets enough love as he should?  Saw him in the VC & SWC Telus Classic games and he was huge for his team. Nice stretch 4 type player but doesn't mind getting the ball in the post. I know he was a significant part of South's win over SWC in the Jr prov's, ditto with the game this past Sat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Tyus Batiste (Gr.11, G, Burnaby South) is another underrated player from South, coming off the bench for the Rebels, is a spark plug, maybe the best 6th man in BC, can provide points in bunches, speed and flair to spare, was a big part of the South's Gr.9 and Jr Prov. championship teams.

Matt Cooley (Gr.12, F, 6'7", 210 lb, Terry Fox) skilled big man who has improved steadily, good footwork down low, can pass out of the block, good positioning in the post for rebounds and put backs, has sprouted in height over last year and can be a weapon for the Ravens if he continues to improve.

Ian Alcoreza (Gr.12, G, 5'10", 160 lb, Panorama Ridge) good guard who combines with Nimrit Plaha to provide PR with an excellent back court combination, great handles, can breakdown his defender off the dribble, and finish at the hoop. Good outside shot, with quick hands defensively.

Sirban Gill (Gr.12, F, 6'2", 180 lb, Abby Sr.) forward who has an excellent three-point shot, excellent at the pick and pop, from what I've seen more of a stationary shooter, but can spot up with the best of them. Uses his body well to rebound the ball and can score in traffic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mason2013

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Both point guards from Gleneagle, Cordell Parker and Brenden Bailey.

Both of these kids quietly lead their team....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BestHoop

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:27 am

Anyone know anything about the big man from Edward Milne?? He's a great player and need to move to the city to be developed. This kid is a next level player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:44 am

BestHoop wrote:
Anyone know anything about the big man from Edward Milne?? He's a great player and need to move to the city to be developed. This kid is a next level player.

Coach I have to call you out a little for this comment. It is a myth that players can not develop at smaller schools or at schools outside the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley. I am sure he will work hard and get great coaching where he is. I can list dozens of examples of kids who have moved on to the next level from small schools and outside areas. I could also list numerous examples of kids who did move and it didn't exactly help at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:29 am

ebe wrote:
BestHoop wrote:

Coach I have to call you out a little for this comment. It is a myth that players can not develop at smaller schools or at schools outside the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley. I am sure he will work hard and get great coaching where he is. I can list dozens of examples of kids who have moved on to the next level from small schools and outside areas. I could also list numerous examples of kids who did move and it didn't exactly help at all.

+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Gulf Islands player, and Edward Milne player.   Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:03 am

VicFan wrote:
Interesting topic because most discussions are all about LM players, so anyone outside of LM could be part of discussion.

On the South Island a few of the the elite players are Collumbin, Stinson, Jordache (Claremont - all Gr 12's), Neufeld (Lambrick - Gr 12), Matt Gray (Oak Bay-Gr 11) & of course Josh Charles (Cowichan - Gr 11). Below is a list of a few players that might well be more well-known by Tourney time.

Jaamel Slack - Claremont  (Gr 12)

I know there's a few other kids from Edward Milne & Gulf Island Sec, just don't know them as well. Be interesting to hear what others think.

A little on two players I personally know from Edward Milne and Gulf Islands.
Eric Weatherby from Gulf Islands is a 6'2 all-around player offensively and defensively. He has a natural ability for driving, taking contact and finishing with ease. Great team leader and passer. I saw Gulf Islands play Cowichan last weekend and he handily defended Josh Charles, even though they didn't win I think Josh only had about 6 points.
Quinn Yates is a very big 6'6 center, tenacious rebounder who has amazing footwork around the basket. He has a motor like no other along with good passing ability out of the post.
Quinn and Eric both played on the Eli Pasquale club team this past summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am

lovethegame321415 wrote:
VicFan wrote:

Eric Weatherby from Gulf Islands is a 6'2 all-around player offensively and defensively. He has a natural ability for driving, taking contact and finishing with ease. Great team leader and passer. I saw Gulf Islands play Cowichan last weekend and he handily defended Josh Charles, even though they didn't win I think Josh only had about 6 points.
Quinn Yates is a very big 6'6 center, tenacious rebounder who has amazing footwork around the basket. He has a motor like no other along with good passing ability out of the post.

Adding on about Eric Weatherby,
Last night he was flirting with a QUAD double with 20 pts, 8 reb, 12 STLS, and 9 blocks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:15 pm

lovethegame321415 wrote:
lovethegame321415 wrote:
VicFan wrote:

Last night he was flirting with a QUAD double with 20 pts, 8 reb, 12 STLS, and 9 blocks.

Who did they play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:57 am

okanaganbball wrote:
lovethegame321415 wrote:
lovethegame321415 wrote:
VicFan wrote:

Who did they play?

Gulf Islands played Brentwood College, up early in the game, then the brentwood coach started to figure out the Gulf Islands zone, lost by 8. Lots of coaching mistakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Today at 1:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Underrated BC players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next