HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Underrated BC players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:58 pm

lovethegame321415 wrote:
okanaganbball wrote:
lovethegame321415 wrote:
lovethegame321415 wrote:
VicFan wrote:
Interesting topic because most discussions are all about LM players, so anyone outside of LM could be part of discussion.

On the South Island a few of the the elite players are Collumbin, Stinson, Jordache (Claremont - all Gr 12's), Neufeld (Lambrick - Gr 12), Matt Gray (Oak Bay-Gr 11) & of course Josh Charles (Cowichan - Gr 11). Below is a list of a few players that might well be more well-known by Tourney time.

Jaamel Slack - Claremont  (Gr 12)
Ashton McKinnon - Mt Doug (Gr 12)
Adam Benrabah - Mt Doug (Gr 12)
Graham Hyde-Lay - SMUS (Gr 11)
Timo Weimer - Oak Bay (Gr 12)
Atlas St Paul Butler - Oak Bay (Gr 11)

I know there's a few other kids from Edward Milne & Gulf Island Sec, just don't know them as well. Be interesting to hear what others think.

A little on two players I personally know from Edward Milne and Gulf Islands.
Eric Weatherby from Gulf Islands is a 6'2 all-around player offensively and defensively. He has a natural ability for driving, taking contact and finishing with ease. Great team leader and passer. I saw Gulf Islands play Cowichan last weekend and he handily defended Josh Charles, even though they didn't win I think Josh only had about 6 points.
Quinn Yates is a very big 6'6 center, tenacious rebounder who has amazing footwork around the basket. He has a motor like no other along with good passing ability out of the post.
Quinn and Eric both played on the Eli Pasquale club team this past summer.

Adding on about Eric Weatherby,
Last night he was flirting with a QUAD double with 20 pts, 8 reb, 12 STLS, and 9 blocks.

Who did they play?

Gulf Islands played Brentwood College, up early in the game, then the brentwood coach started to figure out the Gulf Islands zone, lost by 8. Lots of coaching mistakes.

To be fair, Blake is a great and smart coach who gets the most out of his players and makes fantastic adjustments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Got a chance to watch the Queen Charlotte (Haida Gwaii) team play at the Churchill Bulldogs Classic Tourney, and they have a few players who I had not seen and do not get very much recognition. Although they were both on the U16 and U17 Basketball BC teams, Nathan Vogstad and Jesse Barnes are two players us on the Mainland do not get to see play and both are outstanding on the court. Vogstad is great guard, I hear he played very well for the BBC U17s and from what I saw he has vision, speed, good handles and a good looking jumper. Barnes was a real surprsie, did not hear about him during his BBC U16 run in the summer, but seeing him in person, he is an explosive athlete, has very good size, and has three point range, another year to develop his overall basketball skills and he could be a real force. The Haida Gwaii coaches seem to have done a great job with these boys, as the whole QCSS team seemed to be skilled, hard-working with high basketball IQs.

We will all get to see them play in Langley at the 4A provincials as they have an automatic berth from the NorthWest Region, and they should be competitive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lovethegame321415

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:30 am

@jesusshuttlesworth I wasn't talking about blake I know he is a amazing coach and the reason they won that game is because of his adjustments and smart coaching. In my opinion the Gulf Islands coaches should have changed things up a bit, meaning they ran the same play on offense every possesion and ran the same zone defense, blake and brentwood tore it apart after one quarter of play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JK

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Grade 10 phenom HARRY ($$$) LIU puts up 30 points and about 12 rebounds as Churchill edges Queen Charlotte 112 - 52. Almost as impressive as his 30+ point performance 2 summers ago to beat Seattle's FOH BLUE, one of the best Club teams on the West Coast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Neal Randhawa (#5) on Golden Secondary is a good player. He is about 6'3" and an absolute workhorse. He also plays an intelligent game, can post inside with a variety of hooks and moves, shoots and handles very effectively on the perimeter, makes smart passes and plays with a lot of authority and power. Could be a good CCAA player next year if he is grade 12 (and if any college coach takes a look at him), but if he's only grade 11…wow.

EDIT: he's only grade 11! Golden's entire team is basically grade 11's and then one 12 and one 10. He's a good player, and has another year to develop. CCAA coaches should be looking at this kid.

Also, Golden is good this year, but will be an absolute force next year in AA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pmhs

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:36 am

Just watched Kits last two games and Alec Bayne put up 20 and a bunch of steals vs Walnut Grove then 25 on Van College.But Kits team overall did not look very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Heres a list of players that I’ve seen play in the past month or so who should get some more recognition. Just my opinion.

Andy Seo (Terry Fox)
Nic Hughes (Terry Fox)
Austin Penrose (Sentinel)
Alec Bayne (Kitsilano)
Bryce Derton (Walnut Grove)
Lucas Hodgson (Walnut Grove)
Harry Liu (Churchill) Grade 10
Adam Karmali (Handsworth)
Parker Simson (Kelowna) Grade 10
Umar Tung (A.R. Macneil)
Jassi Gill (Yale)
Patrick Vandervelden (Yale)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com
Islandview2

PostSubject: Island kids   Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Here are a few talented kids from the Island who may or may not still be flying under the radar. Lots of talent on the Island this year with Claremont at 4A No. 6, SMUS at 2A No. 1 and Lambrick at 2A No. 2 (Some of these players have been named already on this thread, heights approximate):

Claremont
G Jamaal Slack (6-3)
G Taylor Montgomery-Stinson (6-2)
G-F Alex Jordache (6-3)
G-F Luke Columbine (6-3)

Oak Bay
F Teemo Weimer (sp?) (6-6)
G Matt Gray (5-11)

SMUS
G-F Jason Scully (6-4)
G-F Matt Rud (6-4)
G Graham Hyde-Lay (6-1)

Mt. Douglas
F-Ashton McKinnon (6-7)
G-Adam Benraba (6-2)

Lambrick Park
F Matt Neufeld (6-10, getting Div. 1 interest)
G-Ismail Abdhlala (sp?) (6-0)

Gulf Islands
G-F Eric Weatherby (6-3)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
basedgod1984

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:30 am

Enver Creek has a very good point guard in Parmeet Matharu. Team seems to struggle but watched the kid play at the Drive tournament and a few local AAU tournaments under Coach Hanson at 3D where he dropped 30 PPG. Hard worker on both ends of the court.

Maple Ridge- Their big brown post (Name forgoes me) is a disciplined hard working fella. Haven't seen that good of a defender in the post and a anchor defensively. Very strong interior post game with a great ability to seal and score. Unselfish and team first kid.

Lord Tweedsmuir- Their guard the younger Norris kid always makes the right play. Never turns the ball over and unselfish shooter. Needs to add some muscle however but makes up for it with quickness. Btw anyone know what happened to their stud grade 10 from last year- something Mason?

Fleetwood- Their point guard Armaan Khangura is a joy to watch. There were times last year during juniors he took over with scoring but the kid is a high IQ player who runs the pick and roll smoothly. Seeing him start at senior and have his team top 5 in AAA is no surprise. Stud.

Tamanawis- Parm Bains doesn't receive enough credit solely because Sukhjot is a scoring machine at times. He's a bomber from 3pt land- good for 3-5 a game from downtown and scores in the 16-20pt range nearly every game. The disappointment from last year seems to have him being more efficient scoring the ball too. Not as many poor off balanced shots.

Sutherland- Graddy Zubaidi. Kid has some swagger and a great pump fake. Tough guard for big men and to strong for the little guys. They play a small lineup. 6'2 with the ability to take his defender to the hoop take the harm and score. Draws alot of fouls. Roughly 5-6 trips to the line, doesn't force his jumpshot really more a paint scorer. Pure scorer, his defense could use work as he gets buried in the post often.

I mainly watch Fraser Valley and the occasional Vancouver games.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:40 pm

The PG for St. John's, #5, is quite a good player. Only grade 11, too. Saw him at a tourney recently, and came away impressed. He is lightning quick with a good handle and was able to get his shot off when and where he wanted it. Solid shooter with good mechanics, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theTICKET

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:15 am

PG for the Delview Raiders (cant remember his name) is very good. Has a very quick first step, with amazing pass accuracy, and nice handles. Saw him at the St. Johns tournament over the weekend, and from what I know he is still in grade 11.

Another guard was the starting PG for BC Christian (again cant remember his name). He is lights out from the three point line and has a very deceptive floater that is not easy to guard. As with the kid from Delview, he too is in grade 11.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 am

theTICKET wrote:
PG for the Delview Raiders (cant remember his name) is very good. Has a very quick first step, with amazing pass accuracy, and nice handles. Saw him at the St. Johns tournament over the weekend, and from what I know he is still in grade 11.

Another guard was the starting PG for BC Christian (again cant remember his name). He is lights out from the three point line and has a very deceptive floater that is not easy to guard. As with the kid from Delview, he too is in grade 11.

Starting Delview PG is Gr.11 Wowie Untalan

Starting BC Christian PG is Gr.10 Keenan Dowell

Only caught the final between Delview and BCAA, and it was a great back and forth game, best game of the week I saw in person (and I was at the Emerald and Kushnir Tourneys) but here are some impressions of the top two players I saw in the final.

Kosia Cauw (BCCA) A non-stop motor, got to the paint and was able to finish with a runner, pull-up or at the rim. Fought hard for position in the post, good passer from the high post. Defended the basket with aggression, good leaper who swatted more than a few lay-ins into the stands with ferver. Can get lost in his intensity and be out of control at times, needs to find a good median between intense and composed, fun player to watch, always goes hard on the floor.

Wowie Untalan (Delview) Showed great handles and ballspeed, attacked the basket at will, good body control finishing at the basket with contact in a variety of ways. Ability to knock down spot up 3's or create shots for others or himself off his dribble. Can tend to settle for the outside jumper, as opposed to attacking the paint, but overall a confident and exciting player to watch.

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am

Myself, Jesus & Luka took in various tournament action this week but I was really glad we went out for the last two games of the SJS Jam.

Final game between BCCA & Delview was essentially Kosia Cauw vs. Wowie Untalan and neither of them disappointed as they both finished in the 30s and it was a great game despsite the fact there must have been about 40 fouls called (1st Q was 30 minutes in length, about 12 fouls called in that Q alone).  Dean Johnston & Cauw work the hi-lo really well & Johnston stepped up despite playing with foul trouble.

3rd place game was West Point Grey Academy vs. RC Palmer - Antonio Jhuty (Palmer) took over in the second half. First time seeing Alex Coote (WPGA) play and he made some beautiful passes and has a nice jumper. Saw him get on his teammates and the refs a bit much but at the same time he was encouraging them to keep playing.

Saw Claremont play @ the Kushnir tournament and second Islandview2's names. Really impressed with Luke Collombin (aside from Mindy, I don't think I've seen another wing work so hard to get the ball in the post) and Taylor Montgomery-Stinson (is it me or is this kid naturally ambidextrous?). All the kids on that team look really competitive, so that was nice to see. Not trying to get into making NCAA comparisons, but Alex Jordache's game resembles UK's Julius Randle. Jamaal Slack made some big plays for his team to get the W.

SMUS - didn't see them at their best against Walnut Grove but Jason Scully looks like he can play. Graham Hyde-Lay looked really confident out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
JK

PostSubject: Ravi Basra   Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 am

Coach Yash wrote:
JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Lord Tweedsmuir's PG I believe is Brett Norris, BBC Boys U16 member, he is a wiry guard, who is quick, and can to the basket with ease, also ultra competitive and has grown in height and his game immensely from his Jr. years.

Good list of players compiled, but it's hard to call them underrated, mostly all the names listed aside from a few are kids who played for Basketball BC, so just by that fact they have been recognized as top players in the province already, just by making the team.

But I would like to know of names of players to look out for who have not gotten the rub from playing for any of the high-profile clubs or BBC, any kids who are truly under the radar?

I know Jesus will appreciate me saying this but Wowie Untalan (Gr 11, G, Delview) has the potential to be a real nice scorer. According to BCHSBBA site & the stats submitted by his team, he's at 27ppg over 6 games.  Nice shooting stroke and he can get his shot off with ease, just needs to learn different ways to score + use his left hand.

Ravi Basra (Gr 11, PG, Winderemere) played allBall and is a very nice and crafty PG for the East Van team. I've seen him play since he was in grade 9 and he has a ton of confidence despite being on the slender side. He's improved his shot significantly over the last year and does a bit of everything on both sides of the ball.

David Ta (Gr 12, G, Killarney) to me has really been "under the radar" although I'm sure a few people on this board know of him. He has some off-court issues that have prevented him from being as effective as he can be. Disclsoure: I coached him at Killarney last year and this kid could single handedly take over games (e.g. we were down 20 to Port Moody in one game and we ended up winning by 8-10 points b/c he really turned it on). Has an amazing shot (I'd put it up there as among the best in the province) and he's really athletic for a short guard. Had a few 40-50 pt games last year and ended with something like 25 a game. Not over hyping this kid as he's tried out/jumped around club programs and due to academic issues he may not get a ton of PT this year, but if he wasn't his own worst enemy, he'd be one people would notice.

I don't know if Nic Trinic (Gr 11, F, Burnaby South) gets enough love as he should?  Saw him in the VC & SWC Telus Classic games and he was huge for his team. Nice stretch 4 type player but doesn't mind getting the ball in the post. I know he was a significant part of South's win over SWC in the Jr prov's, ditto with the game this past Sat.

Ravi Basra is outstanding! Some college coach is going to be very happy when he raises the championship trophy for their team!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:27 am

JK wrote:

Ravi Basra is outstanding!  Some college coach is going to be very happy when he raises the championship trophy for their team!

Very glad to see him get some recognition - he can flat out play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
arcticmonkeys

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:13 pm

basedgod1984 wrote:

Maple Ridge- Their big brown post (Name forgoes me) is a disciplined hard working fella. Haven't seen that good of a defender in the post and a anchor defensively. Very strong interior post game with a great ability to seal and score. Unselfish and team first kid.

Ravjot Rakhra, scrappy kid plays very hard on the defensive end.
Speaking of Maple Ridge, how about Ethan Coumont 6'2 guard? averaged something like 19ppg, 10rpg and 5apg during the Provies and 32ppg or so during FV's, 2nd Team 3A All-Star.

I believe North Peace has a very raw 6'9/6'10 big man going into his senior year, lots of potential there I feel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Yeah I believe that was #30 on maple ridge he basically carried them in all there games. A really good all around player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arcticmonkeys

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:32 pm

bchoopfan wrote:
Yeah I believe that was #30 on maple ridge he basically carried them in all there games. A really good all around player.
That would be him yes. I know we're not supposed to promote our own players (I am from Maple Ridge.) But I've lurked this site for many months and have never seen recognition for such a hardworker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underrated BC players   Today at 5:26 am

Back to top Go down

Underrated BC players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2