HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:20 am

Poll #1
1) Tamanawis
2) RC Palmer
3) Terry Fox
4) Kelowna
5) Panorama Ridge
6) Kitsilano
7) McMath
8 ) Killarny
9) Delta
10) Holy Cross

Please post scores or direct message scores as it is a tough year to do junior rankings with all the movement between players and age groups. With an expanded Junior Provincial field looks like this will be a fun season with many teams having a chance to reach the LEC! Good luck to all the players and coaches
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lukester0506

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:23 am

I think King George will be fairly good this year. Lots of individual talent from I saw over the summer. A bit of lack in size.
But we will see if the coaching staff and players themselves can make it work on the court.
Would be great to see if they play more competitive teams than league games with in VSB tho.
I think they have a few exhibition games but none out in the valley from what I know, but I may be wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.lukester0506.com
Fox941

PostSubject: noteable absences from Top 10   Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:40 am

Two quality teams from Vancouver Island are Oak Bay and Cowichan...
Walnut Grove is in the mix for sure...

The Terry Fox Invitational this weekend should answer questions about the top teams....

Laza is injured right now for Fox and may not play for a month..... so Fox may drop with him out if they struggle......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38HeadCoach

PostSubject: Dec 16 Rankings   Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:43 am

Good Terry Fox tournament over the weekend and ranked teams losing games.

1) Kelowna (Matt Lafountaine and Parker Simson playing for Jr this year)
2) Tamanawis (Impressive group of guys that can give Kelowna run at their money)
3) Vancouver College (surprising team at the T Fox tournament)
4) West Van (key win over Palmer)
5) Palmer (Lost to Kelowna by 16 and West Van by 1)
6) Panorama Ridge
7) Terry Fox
8 ) Oak Bay
9) Kitsilano
10) Cowichan

Haven't seen scores for Delta/Holy Cross/Killarney but I'm sure these teams are solid provincial contending teams.
McMath dropped out of the top 10 after a tough loss to a solid team Lord Tweedsmuir over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:15 pm

1) Kelowna
2) Tamanawis
3) Panorama Ridge
4) Walnut Grove
5) Terry Fox
6) Delta
7) Van College
8 ) Holy Cross
9) Oak Bay
10) West Van

Kitsilano and Palmer looked really bad this past weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38HeadCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:14 pm

JrCoachS wrote:
1) Kelowna
2) Tamanawis
3) Panorama Ridge
4) Walnut Grove
5) Terry Fox
6) Delta
7) Van College
8 ) Holy Cross
9) Oak Bay
10) West Van

Kitsilano and Palmer looked really bad this past weekend.

I based my rankings off early season matchups and scores. Palmer had a horrible weekend but beat Terry Fox in an exhibition matchup earlier in the season. Walnut has not proven to be anywhere in top 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox941

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:33 pm

way too early to really know.....
FYI D38...
Fox /Palmer.... preseason..... 49-48 ...fox missing their coach and 2 starters including their point guard.....
they beat College earlier this year......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38HeadCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Fox941 wrote:
way too early to really know.....
FYI D38...
Fox /Palmer.... preseason..... 49-48 ...fox missing their coach and 2 starters including their point guard.....
they beat College earlier this year......

Palmer head coach said preseason they beat Fox. Not sure what to believe.
Honestly 1. Kelowna 2. Tamanawis and 3-10.. anyone can take that. The list goes on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox941

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:00 pm

yes they did... 49-48
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D38HeadCoach

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Fox941 wrote:
yes they did... 49-48

He said they ended up winning by 10. Guess he was incorrect. Thanks for the update!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm pretty sure preseason "club" tournaments don't factor into season rankings. I don't know who else Walnut have played but I think they beat Fox last week.

I'm just basing my rankings off teams I have seen first hand or from coaches I have spoke too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VanJV

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Out of curiosity, who does Killarney have on their team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:33 pm

VanJV wrote:
Out of curiosity, who does Killarney have on their team?

We don't have any of the 6'4-6'6 players we've been playing, that's for sure Smile

Furthermore I think Kerry Taylor will have compiled the first "official" rankings sometime this weekend. Teams listed are only those that opted into sending Kerry their schedules + results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:49 pm

My Updated Jr. Boys Rankings (as of Jan.05, 2014)

My Ranking; Team; (Ranking from Poll#1)
1) Kelowna (4)
2) Tamanawis (1)
3) Panorama Ridge (5)
4) Delta (9)
5) Terry Fox (3)
6) Walnut Grove (-)
7) Van College (-)
8 ) Holy Cross (10)
9) STMC (-)
10) Oak Bay (-)
HM) West Van (-)
HM) McMath (7)
HM) RC Palmer (2)
HM) Cowichan (-)
HM) Kitsilano (6)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Catsfan77

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 am

When do Kelowna and agama awaits play again? I think that could be an amazing game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theTICKET

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:18 am

Delta is very overrated. Delview beat Delta at Delta 53-50. Delview should be considered as a threat to some of the top ranked teams. Earlier in the season Delview Raiders lost to Panorama Ridge by 7 and beat Rick Hansen (which is another very underrated team) by 7.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 am

theTICKET wrote:
Delta is very overrated. Delview beat Delta at Delta 53-50. Delview should be considered as a threat to some of the top ranked teams. Earlier in the season Delview Raiders lost to Panorama Ridge by 7 and beat Rick Hansen  (which is another very underrated team) by 7.  Very Happy 

Not trying to blow my (edit: Killarney) team up but not too sure about the "threat to top ranked teams" as we beat Delview with 6 players (5 of them in grade 9) by 46 (no, that's not a typo) at the Southridge tournament. Despite their head coach not being at the game, they did have their entire team.
Back to top Go down
theTICKET

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:52 pm

Coach Yash the head coach makes a big difference. From what I know, it was after that tournament that Delview went on to beat Delta. And before the Southridge tournament Killarney Played against Panorama Ridge and lost by around 20 (don't know the exact score), while when Delview played Panorama Ridge, they lost by 7.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:02 pm

theTICKET wrote:
Coach Yash the head coach makes a big difference. From what I know, it was after that tournament that Delview went on to beat Delta. And before the Southridge tournament Killarney Played against Panorama Ridge and lost by around 20 (don't know the exact score), while when Delview played Panorama Ridge, they lost by 7.  Very Happy

Just to clarify (not trying to go back and forth with you):
a) the head coach would have made an impact, but should the talent alone not have been good enough to do better than lose to 46 by a bunch of grade 9s? Add to that Delview has what, at least three or four 6'4"-6'6" players whereas our tallest player was a rail thin 6'2" grade 9 who barely played until the last Q.

b) We lost to Panorama Ridge by 15 - however, within 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter we cut their lead to 6 before our top scorer was pulled out for straining his back. Take my word for it considering he was a big part of our 3rd Q comeback...the score would have been different had he not been injured. Not making excuses so it is what it is and I'm hoping/looking foward to playing PR down the road.

My opinion of Delview was based on seeing them at the Southridge and KPU tournaments. If they've significantly improved since then, then all the credit to the team.
Back to top Go down
TheNewGuy

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Got to see Delview play this weekend at the McMath tournament. They are a hard working team but the way the coach treats his player is down right atrocious. The things he says to his players are uncalled for and disrespectful. He kept on screaming to a handful of his players "You are a not a basketball player that kid is owning you" and would call time outs to yell in a kids face. I understand being firm with your players but this guy was breaking down his guys and they were visibly shaken from his words. They have a solid team but their coach is holding them back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theTICKET

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:32 am

You should have raised your concerns after the game. From my knowledge he is a decent coach and the way you expressed his character is not his norm. What was the situation of the game? How were the refs at the Mcmath tournament (Traditionally Mcmath refs, and Richmond in general are very bad at handling games)? A lot of factors might have played into this situation. Then again it might just be a few rough days, and come Monday, Delview beats Delta and forgets about the tournament.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
truth

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Coach Yash wrote:
theTICKET wrote:

a) the head coach would have made an impact, but should the talent alone not have been good enough to do better than lose to 46 by a bunch of grade 9s? Add to that Delview has what, at least three or four 6'4"-6'6" players whereas our tallest player was a rail thin 6'2" grade 9 who barely played until the last Q.

b) We lost to Panorama Ridge by 15 - however, within 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter we cut their lead to 6 before our top scorer was pulled out for straining his back. Take my word for it considering he was a big part of our 3rd Q comeback...the score would have been different had he not been injured. Not making excuses so it is what it is and I'm hoping/looking foward to playing PR down the road.

My opinion of Delview was based on seeing them at the Southridge and KPU tournaments. If they've significantly improved since then, then all the credit to the team.

Are you kidding? You are a high school grade 10 coach on here justifying your wins and making excuses for your losses (despite your comments to the contrary). Get a grip! It's not about you!

What a joke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:33 pm

truth wrote:
Coach Yash wrote:
theTICKET wrote:

Are you kidding? You are a high school grade 10 coach on here justifying your wins and making excuses for your losses (despite your comments to the contrary). Get a grip! It's not about you!

What a joke.

Really?, taking a shot at another poster for giving his opinion?, "What a joke", why don't you come on this forum and add something positive to the local bc high school basketball community, instead of putting down other posters for sharing their views. Read your own words... "...desperate to resort to ... personal attacks." I see your viewpoint, don't agree with it, but is your post the best way to get your point across? Coach Yash has been a coach/mentor to kids/young adults for over a decade, a positive force in the community who has made positive impressions on many people learning to become better men/women not just in sports but life. He may have worded his post in a way that made you feel he was making excuses etc. but to attack someone on an open forum while you yourself remain faceless behind a keyboard, is the type of thing young men/women may see (as many young basketball players do read this board) and find it an appropriate way to behave, and your post only encourages such negative behavior as acceptable in the social media age we live.

This forum is to debate and interact among community users, through discussions about BC high school basketball, I hope we can all just treat each other with a little respect, and have personal disputes 'taken outside' and away from the discussion boards.

truth wrote:
I know that it is difficult when ugly things like facts get in the way of lies and misinformation that some like to present here. It is then that the truly desperate resort to even more ridiculous allegations and personal attacks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1   Today at 7:18 am

Back to top Go down

Junior Boys Rankings Poll #1
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1