HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:56 pm

Friday December 13th
GM1 3:30pm Tamanawis vs Vancouver College
GM2 6:30pm Oak Bay vs Kitsilano
GM3 5:00pm Terry Fox vs West Van
GM4 8:00pm RC Palmer vs Kelowna

Saturday December 14th
GM5 9:00am Loser G1 vs Loser G2
GM6 10:30am Loser G3 vs Loser G4
GM7 12:00pm Winner G3 vs Winner G4
GM8 1:30pm Winner G1 vs Winner G2

7th/8th 3:00pm Loser G5 vs Loser G6
4th/6th 4:30pm Winner G5 vs Winner G6
3rd/5th 6:00pm Loser G7 vs Loser G8
1st/2nd 7:30pm Winner G7 vs Winner G8
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hookedonhoops

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:38 am

GM1 3:30pm Tamanawis vs Vancouver College (58-38 for Tamanawis)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Friday December 13th
GM1 Tamanawis 58 vs Vancouver College 38
GM2 Oak Bay 49 vs Kitsilano 42
GM3 Terry Fox 37 vs West Van 31
GM4 RC Palmer 56 vs Kelowna 72

Saturday December 14th
GM5 Van College 65 vs Kitsilano 46
GM6 West Van 33 vs RC Palmer 32
GM7 Terry Fox 31 vs Kelowna 64
GM8 Tamanawis 59 vs Oak Bay 43

7th/8th Kits 50 vs RC Palmer 58
4th/6th Van College over West Van
3rd/5th Terry Fox 47 vs Oak Bay 37
1st/2nd Kelowna 62 vs Tamanawis 61

Final Standings
1. Kelowna
2. Tamanawis
3. Terry Fox
4. Van College
5. Oak Bay
6. West Van
7. RC Palmer
8. Kitsilano
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Great final game between who are likely the top two Jr boys teams in BC. Tamanawis and Kelowna battled back and forth all night, exchanged leads from start to finish. Tamanawis used there big forwards to get many easy buckets in the paint and got excellent guard play from young Grade 8 standout Miguel Tomley who showed an advanced game and great vision at the guard spot. Kelowna used a great outside game, with many great shooters especially guards McGrath and Lafontaine who used their smooth stroke and seemingly effortless game to keep Kelowna in the game. The last few minutes was madness, as Tamanawis was up 7 with a few minutes left, but increased ball pressure from Kelowna forced turnovers and easy transition baskets for Kelowna. With 5 seconds left and Tammy in bounding with a 1 pt lead Kelowna would steal the inbound and go the length of the floor for a Lay-in as time expired to take the game and the tournament championship. Great game from all the boys and a big win from the boys from the Okanagan. (Side-note: Tamanwis starting big man was injured in the 1st half on a freak play, Derrick Rose like injury, hope he makes a full recovery)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fair-Bball

PostSubject: TERRY FOX TOURNEY - CHAMPIONSHIP GAME   Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:14 pm

First... want to congratulate Terry Fox for running this tournament at very high standards. Just one suggestion, should add recongnitions for top performers as all stars (1st and 2nd), top defensive and offensive players for the tournament.

The FINAL GAME was an awesome championship game but it may not have been a close game have Tammy's top defensive player and best playmaker/shooter were available for whole the game. Big Man (Dhami #21) got seriously hurt  in first half  and Dulay #15 got in foul trouble in first 5 mins of the game and sat out til the 3rd quarter. Both were averaging double / double in this tournament and their pick-n-roll play in this and the last tournament at Kwantlen College was unstoppable.  Tammy  #8 Sahota was hitting some big shots in first half and got in foul trouble early as well and I believe mostly played in second half.

At the  time #21 Dhami  got hurt, he was playing well and dominating defensively.  Dulay #15 did his best and  played well in second half had bunch of steals and hit some critical shots to keep Tammy in the game. Toward  end the game for Tammy’s  guard play became way too much one on one battle in result few critical  turn overs in last 3 minutes which Kelowna capitalized on, stuck to their game plan and played as a team = victory.

I hope both of these teams meet again somewhere before the provincial if not I am hoping…they meet in final for provincial title. This is going to be BIGTIME rivalry from here on to Srs Ball. Last night’s game felt that way. Congratulations to Owls for winning this tournament.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fox941

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 am

Well… Tamanawis controlled the tempo and the score for much of the game….
They were ahead by 9 with 2 mins left, but had trouble in the end because of their inability to run any type of offensive structure…
Kelowna had similar trouble through much of the game.. they are very much a drive and dish team and run virtually no offensive sets as well.

They scored in the final 2 mins to come back only in transition off Tammy mistakes and ultimately scored the final basket to win….
Back to top Go down
View user profile
surreybasketball

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:42 pm

I agree with you but if tammy #21 (Dhami) would have not got hurt it would have been an entirely different end to this game. Hope that kid will not be out for rest of the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wiseowl

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:12 am

Cudos to Kelowna and their head coach for their win at the Terry Fox Tournament this weekend.I find this to be an example of coaching excellence, cornsidering that the jr owls lost 2 starters (Nav Sandhu, and Parker Simson) and their sharpshooting 6th man to the Sr Owls this year. The owls went into the weekend without their starting big man Jae Rudrum-Steinhauer who was apparently on vacation and still managed to beat the 1st, 2nd and 3rd preseason ranked teams in the province. There was never a better time to for Tamanawis to justify the hype of being ranked #1. Omly to fall yet again to another Okanagan team: Dr. Knox last season. Oliver the season before. Apparently KSS this year. KSS went into the tourney ranked #4 which was low considering it was essentially the same team that beat down Kits 3x last season and won the boys9 provincial title in Kits own gym in record setting fashion. It seems to me that the Okanagan valley is slowly becoming a basketball powerhouse. Tournament organisers must know the strength of the Okanagan teams, which would explain why they always get such a bad draw at every tournament. Its so much harder to win on the road.From what I have seen so far this season KSS and Tamanawis are the only 2 teams in the race for the title this year and with Tamanawis' inability to put away an Okanagan team that leaves KSS at the top. I have also noticed that the 2 coaches with the best teams have a non condescending style of motivating their players. No screaming or chair slamming. No players hanging their heads. No parents shaking their heads in anger as to how the coaches are treating their kids. It was a joy to watch the the high class play of players and coaches in the KSS Tam final. An honorable mention to Oak Bay as well. Very well run program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:29 pm

I don't follow jr basketball all that much, especially if my schools team isn't involved, but from what I read in the other topic Parker Simpson? indeed did play for Kelowna this past weekend and the one Kelowna kid is grade 11 age. I saw the Tamanawis grade 8 play this past summer and he is very very good. When you think about it, you had a grade 11 going against a grade 8, who should win that battle? Also, Wiseowl you make it sound like it was a blow-out, from what I read Tamanawis was up and their forward got hurt and they still were up until a minute left. In the past few years I would say Kelowna, being the 3rd or 4th biggest school in the Province and having a NCAA big and a good CIS guard coming out of there is the one Okanagan school under-achieving compared to the other Okanagan schools. The level of play in the Okanagan at A and AA has been great, but for the most part, if you're in the Mainland, Island or Valley and you are competitive you have played AAA until this year. Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wiseowl

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Not that it mattets Fraservalley but Parker Simson was indeed playing the same weekend but he IS on the Kelowna Sr. Team and was at a different tournament. Not sure why you compare a 16 year old jr. To a senior players age as all jr. Players are 15 or 16 by this point in the season. As far as Tamanawis' Miguel Tomley goes; talent is talent regardless of his age. He's big, strong, has good handles and sees the floor well. His age doesnt seem to keep him from being one of 2 dominant players on the team. I heard the other Tamanawis standout, Dhami, has torn his ACL. This will be a big blow to Tamanawis. Too bad, hes a talented kid and it would have been fun to waych him match up against KSS big man, Jae Rudrum. As far as KSS underacheiving.... I will have to agree with you Fraservalley. But only at the Sr. level. Coach Parmar has not been able to seal the deal even with a 7' center 2 yrs ago. Regardless of who is on the team Parmar hasent shown that he can make a winner. Coach Lafontaine ( jr. Boys coach) on the other hand has proven time and again that he can make a winning team. He did it last year with Provincial winners Dr. Knox and is well on his way to doing it again with the Jr. Owls, even with the addition of 5 new playersand the loss of 3 of his best.I hope the KSS athletic director sees the benefit of moving Lafontaine up to the Sr. Coaching position so he stays with the team he has created. It would be a wise move if KSS wants to win a Sr. Boys championship. It would be a shame to see another great team fall prey to weak coaching yet again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Without getting into the opinion debate, I want to set the record straight for FraserValley to get the facts straight. I have it on good authority(his mom and AAAA coach) that Parker S did not play for the Jr Owls at the Terry Fox tourney. He was playing along side his brother vs Churchill (fri) and Sardis(sat) with the Sr Owls. Just the facts please. Makes your argument more believable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:05 am

Sunnyok, as I said I wasn't there, I don't know or particularly follow jr basketball it was mentioned in an earlier post he was playing, thus I said, I read in an earlier topic and put an ? Regardless, it sounds like Kelowna and Tamanawis are definitely the teams to beat at Christmas. Best of luck to both teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:42 am

[quote="wiseowl"] As far as KSS underacheiving.... I will have to agree with you Fraservalley. But only at the Sr. level. Coach Parmar has not been able to seal the deal even with a 7' center 2 yrs ago. Regardless of who is on the team Parmar hasent shown that he can make a winner. Coach Lafontaine ( jr. Boys coach) on the other hand has proven time and again that he can make a winning team. He did it last year with Provincial winners Dr. Knox and is well on his way to doing it again with the Jr. Owls, even with the addition of 5 new playersand the loss of 3 of his best.I hope the KSS athletic director sees the benefit of moving Lafontaine up to the Sr. Coaching position so he stays with the team he has created. It would be a wise move if KSS wants to win a Sr. Boys championship. It would be a shame to see another great team fall prey to weak coaching yet again. [/quote]

Okay, I need to step in here. I'm sorry but winning a grade 9 "provincial" tournament and coaching at the Jr level is NO comparison to coaching at the Sr level. I love how parents think. You have no idea, the competition is better, the other coaches are better, every team is good. That abomination of a final between Knox and Kits last year, doesn't happen at jr never mind sr. I would love for you to take a look back at the past ten grade 9 and Jr provincial champions. I'm willing to bet none of those teams went on to win a SR championship. It's not easy. Just ask Kelly Olynyk and Rob Sacre who were more dominate in their gr 12 years then the Kelowna big man and didn't win it all.

Coach Parmar commits hundreds of hours a year and to hear a parent of a future player bad mouthing him is pathetic. Or even worse if you are Coach Lafontaine on here pumping your own tires and throwing Harry under the bus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wiseowl

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Wow!where do I start?...What I like best about the Open Forum format is that it gives people a chance to voice opinion and have it discussed. In this instance its discussion with others who love the game of basketball. If we all had the same opinion there would be little to discuss and this would be an informational site only. In this case I have a strong opinion and received a strong opinion from JrcoachS in return. Obviously Jrcoach S loves the game and has respect for those in coaching positions.I do however find your opinion to be more than a little presumtuous with the informatiom given from my comments. To assume Im a parent would be presumptuous. To say I have no idea would be presumptuous.For all you know I could have played ball at the Jr/ Sr/ collegiate levels and still play now. To assume that I have no idea about the amoumt of hrs and hard work and planning it takes to be a winning coach would be presumtuous. To say that this could be coach Lafontaine "pumping up his tires and throwing another coach under the bus", is not only presumptuous, but asinine and a deflamation of character. My opinion is that a job isnt getting done and I would like to see it get done. You see this in collegiate and professional sports everyday. Changes in player rosters, coaching staff, coaches themselves. In ALL industries that arent family owned and operated you are hired to get a job done. If you dont get that job done then someone is brought in that will get it done. We are expected to show results in order to keep moving forwards. Complacency leads to loss. Something has to change in order for Kelowna to win a Sr. Championship. This is my opinion. I think its fantastic, yet extremely shortsighted, that you find my opinion "pathetic" and dont like how Im throwing someone under the bus. I am suggesting throwing a situation out and getting desired results by doing so. I can see that you dont agree JrcoachS, but that is afterall.....only your opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:00 pm

This is not a professional sports team or a job. It's a teacher who volunteers his own time. The 2011 KSS team was one of 6 that could have won that year, it was far from an upset losing to Van College in the Elite 8. Injuries last year to key players derailed that team.

But I guess in your opinion that means a coach who won grade 9 provincials with a couple overage players should displace Coach Parmar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wiseowl

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:24 pm

My opinion is still that something needs to change in order to win. I think coach L would be the logical choice. You obviously know your basketball and have a love for the game. I would lobby behind you if I thought it would make a change in the right direction. This isnt a personal attack. I dont think you need to take it as such. And winning the provincials with a couple of average players would be quite something dont you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14   Today at 4:47 pm

Back to top Go down

Terry Fox Tournament Dec 13/14
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1