HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Edmonton vs. Calgary Allstar game....thoughts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JRock88

PostSubject: Edmonton vs. Calgary Allstar game....thoughts?   Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Hey guys,

I am brand new to this forum but have played basketball for the last 10 years in Alberta. Recently my brother moved down to Edmonton and started playing for one of the Edmonton schools. To go along with the traditional Alberta rivalry, I always thought it would be cool to host a Edmonton and area vs. Calgary and area allstar game at the conclusion of the high school season.

The allstars would be selected by a panel of the areas' coaches and I would ask the city champion team's coach to coach.  

With my new job, I have a bit more time (I'm an accountant by trade) and would definitely be interested in trying to organize something like this but wasn't sure if it already exists or has been tried before. A couple questions:

Has it been tried before / does it already exist?
Do you think there would be an interest from players/coaches/recruiters?
What roadblocks would you potentially see?

Would love to hear your feedback on this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2guard14

PostSubject: Re: Edmonton vs. Calgary Allstar game....thoughts?   Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:45 pm

I no longer live in Alberta Crying or Very sad but when I was there a few years ago I watched a tournament consisting of Alberta's north and south Alst's and B.C.'s Lower ML and Central AS. Very entertaining with a number of College/University coaches and scouts, even some form the states.
I think an Ed/Cal AS game would be great but would leave out a ton of talented players. Why not make it a showcase tournament with Ed, Cal, North and South AS teams. THis could be done with 4A and 3A (incl.1 &2A players) teams. A lot of planning but a good way to generate interest in the CIS, CCAA and even the NCAA, if marketed well. This is the kind of thing needed to bring alberta ball to the next level and into the spotlight. So yeah, I would personally love to see such an event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: Edmonton vs. Calgary Allstar game....thoughts?   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:43 pm

I went to men's and women's All-star games between Edmonton and Calgary at least 10 years ago. They were held at SAIT and were great games to watch. I would love to see an All-star tournament put together just after provincials.

But All-star does not mean just Really-Good. If Edmonton, Calgary, Southern Alberta, Northern Alberta and Central Alberta each put a team together, that would showcase the bulk of the great players in the province. That means that between 50 and 60 (100 to 120 men and women) players would be showcased. Not that many new graduates make college teams every year.

They should all be seniors and eligible for college or university. Have the coaches from the area teams place their choices and take the players voted for the most. Something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edmonton vs. Calgary Allstar game....thoughts?   Today at 7:18 am

Back to top Go down

Edmonton vs. Calgary Allstar game....thoughts?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1