HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Boys Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GT3

PostSubject: 4A Boys Rankings   Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:01 pm

So the 1st Rankings come out on Thursday, any predictions for the Rankings that will be posted? Which teams are looking good so far? Any teams surprisingly better than initially anticipated? Who and Why? Or worse that initially expected? Who are the top dogs? And who gets the #1 spot?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:44 pm

I'll give it a go. The biggest problem is that teams aren't putting their scores in. It either means they don't care about the rankings so they don't enter their wins or they have a lot of losses to teams who don't care to enter their wins and they don't want to look bad so they don't enter their losses. Its easy to tell which teams they are. If I had it my way, teams that don't enter their scores, wins or losses, they shouldn't be ranked at all. It would be incentive. ASAA should think about it.

With the data that is there, this is what I came up with.

1. Archbishop OLeary (ahead of HA based on an impressive SOS in December - already at 16 games played and a 14-2 record with no losses to Alberta teams)
2. Harry Ainlay
3. Cardston High
4. Ross Sheppard
5. Lethbridge Collegiate Institute
6. Father Lacombe
7. Bishop McNally
8. Jasper Place
9. Medicine Hat High
10. Bev Facey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Who are the teams that don't put their scores in?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Look at some of the tournaments that have been played that have websites. ASAA teams play against non-ASAA opponents and don't enter their score. Obviously everyone that follows the tournament knows the scores but those teams don't post their scores either because they feel they have no shot at a top 10 ranking or they don't want to look bad. So their records show only their wins, not their losses unless they lose to a team that wants to be in the top 10 and enters the score.

I think its a misunderstanding among coaches. Its required to enter every score, not just the games you win. If the winning team doesn't enter the score, the losing team should.

Worst offenders so far this year are Ernest Manning and Notre Dame in 4A and George MacDougall and Edmonton Christian in 3A. Both school have many more games than their exnet scores would indicate. George Macdougall and Notre Dame just don't enter any scores in. Ernest Manning and Edmonton Christian just don't enter in their losses. Their losses are against teams that don't care to be, or aren't going to be, ranked so the winning teams don't enter them. I think rankers should assume those teams have significant losses and should rank accordingly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: rankings    Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 pm

I personaly would have put shepp ahead of cardston based off how close the game in cardston was compared to the one in edmonton
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:33 pm

So close.

2013-14 First Ranking
Team - Zone
1 Archbishop O'Leary - Edmonton
2 Harry Ainlay High School - Edmonton
3 Cardston High - South
4 Ross Sheppard - Edmonton
5 Father Lacombe - Calgary
6 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute - South
7 Jasper Place - Edmonton
8 Bishop McNally - Calgary
9 Bev Facey Community - Edmonton
10 Medicine Hat High - South

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Bishop O'Byrne Calgary
Ernest Manning Calgary
Magrath School South
Sir Winston Churchill Calgary
Western Canada Calgary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Responsing to 12321

So close.

2013-14 First Ranking
Team - Zone
1 Archbishop O'Leary - Edmonton - have looked really strong in all of their tournaments and league so far - veteran team but have blue chip grade 10's as well
- so much size - but have the guards to back it up too

2 Harry Ainlay High School - Edmonton - very similar to oleary - veteran components - stud grade 10's - blazing team quickness and deadly fast break - have 10 guys that can knock down the 3 ball VERY consistently

3 Cardston High - South - always so organized - well built machine - dont make mistakes most make

4 Ross Sheppard - Edmonton - very good overall team game - have the flare to play a skilled game - but can also play halfcourt

5 Father Lacombe - Calgary - super athletic - quick, will drive at will on you if you arent ready to defend - better proctect the ball when u play them

6 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute - South - well built team that will get better as year progresses - will go as far as Saren leads them and depends how much Gibb imporoves - if he gets to the level of his brother ---- look out

7 Jasper Place - Edmonton - very well coached - play a variety of styles and temps that keep the other team guessing - very godo leader in #7

8 Bishop McNally - Calgary - best player in province that can take over a game at any time - they are in any game with him

9 Bev Facey Community - Edmonton- big team that slows it down - shoots very well also - better be ready for a physical game

10 Medicine Hat High - South - very godo 2 guard tandem with a dominant post - if their bench develops watch out for them in March

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Bishop O'Byrne Calgary
Ernest Manning Calgary
Magrath School South
Sir Winston Churchill Calgary
Western Canada Calgary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Cardston is ranked too high. Yes, they won their own tournament but if you have watched any tournaments in Alberta this year, you would know that the draw was weak. Lacombe and McNally should move up-under ranked. I agree with Oleary and Ainley at #1 and #2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Cardstons tournament wasn't weak! Having 3 teams that are in the top 5 and magrath who is honourable mention doesn't sound like a weak tournament to me! Yes cardston lost in the final in magrath against bev facey but they were missing one of their top scorers and top defender rylan quinton. I do think Ross shep should be ahead of them though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old & Grey

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Ranked teams vs ranked teams since the first rankings came out:
#1 O'Leary
#2 Ainlay-lost to #6 LCI
#3 Cardston-lost to #9 Facey, lost to #4 Shep, lost to HM Magrath
#4 Shep-beat #3 Cardston, beat #6 LCI
#5 Father Lacombe
#6 LCI-beat #2 Ainlay, lost to #4 Shep
#7 Jasper Place
#8 Bishop McNally
#9 Facey-beat #1 3A Edm Christian, beat HM Magrath, beat #3 Cardston
#10 Med Hat
HM Magrath-lost to #9 Facey, beat #3 Cardston
HM O'Byrne-lost to Scarlett

Feel free to list any that I may have missed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:10 am

Lci-lost to #3 cardston
Magrath- lost to foothills
Cardston- beat #6 lci
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Ummm...those games were before the rankings were released. Cardston looked very weak at the Sugar Bowl. Should be out of the top ten by next ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:57 pm

Cardston has been without their other star point guard whose has a ankle injury. He is a game changer and takes the load off of their main guard. Seeing them with him and without him, one can tell when he gets back that they will be a contender.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 pm

Thats odd. Who is Cardstons other star point guard? Rylan Quinton? I swear I saw him playing in the sugar bowl? In fact I know I saw him playing in the Sugar Bowl. Any other excuses as to why Cardston has been losing? Cardston should drop significantly in the rankings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Ya he played one game and that being Ross shep. He didn't even play significant minutes, he mainly played the first half. When he did play you could tell he was far from 100 percent. They will drop but I think to the 7 or 8th spot. Everyone keeps forgetting about their significant wins they have had beating some of the top teams.
I also think that Harry Ainley will drop. I thought that they wee going to show more but they live and die on the three.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old & Grey

PostSubject: Changes   Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:54 am

Ainlay is still loaded with talent......just a bump in the road.....they should drop a bit, but great squad.......Cardston has to drop(injury or not)....Shep climbs BIG....Facey a bit likely....not sure who else did anything.....Calgary teams????? JP?? Med Hat?? Let the games roll!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: rankings   Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:39 am

I don't see how much shep can climb from 4 but they will go up we will find out if they can beat the other two really good teams in edmonton when they play
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Looks like
It will prob be

1 Oleary
2 shep
3 lci
4 father lacombe
5 Harry ainlay
6 bev facey
7 bishop McNally
8 Medicine Hat
9 cardston
10 jasper place

Hm
Churchill
St Mary
Ernest manning
Foothills
Magrath
Raymond
Paul Kane
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:05 pm

Looking at the BRIT Tournament results it looks like St. Marys lost all three of their games so I would drop them out of the HM altogether. Jasper Place only won once and lost to Churchill in the Quarter finals so I would flip flop those two teams. I would also question Bev Facey so deep into the top 10. Who have they beat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Bev Facey has had a pretty impressive season. I think they are 17 and 3. Finishing fourth at Mike Dea Classic, winning the Sturgeon tournament, winning the Magrath tournament and winning their own tournament. They lost to Oleary (they were winning in the 4th quarter), they lost to WJ Moaut a top 10 team in BC and they lost to Shep by 2 points in league. They beat Magrath by 30 and they beat Cardston.

So there losses are to #1 Oleary, #4 Ross Sheppard and at the time #2 WJ Mouat.

There wins are against #3 Cardston and honorable mention Magrath.

17 wins and 3 losses with 3 tournament wins is not to shabby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 am

Medicine Hat High just beat LCI 86-79 in overtime. How far do they move up based on that win. Do they have losses to lower teams or other significant victories?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:16 am

Med Hat has lost to Oleary, Jasper Place, Bishop McNally I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ramfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:53 pm

southball wrote:
Medicine Hat High just beat LCI 86-79 in overtime. How far do they move up based on that win. Do they have losses to lower teams or other significant victories?

Med Hat won't move up much from #10 with with over the Rams, and LCI shouldn't drop much. Med Hat controlled the game right from the tip, the Rams clawed their way back and hit a buzzer beater to send it to OT. Med Hat is a legit top 8 4A team, with potential to challenge the top half on any given night. LCI is in the same boat, a top 8 team with potential to win any game. I would rank Med Hat at #7, LCI #8, and Cardston drops to an HM or maybe #10 at best. Magrath might crack the top 10 as well with a #9 or #10 but we'll see.

So far Med Hat and LCI seem to be the top teams in the South. Cardston has some big W's in early December that will keep them in contention for a top 10 ranking but they have been struggling the past few weeks. The loss to Magrath might bump them to bottom of ranking or even to an HM. Med Hat's wins have been fairly convincing, especially in league play, only close one was against churchill (4 point win) but I heard churchill played the game of their season at home and Med Hat stunk it up bigtime but managed to hold on. (LCI dominated churchill by 30)

Looking forward to Monday's rankings! And also looking forward to the last 9 weeks of the hoop season! Many teams in contention...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:01 pm

No question Med Hat is going to move up.

If you look at those scores closely it becomes pretty clear. A lot clearer than 3A in my opinion as there is a lot more games between teams to compare to. My guess would be:

1. Oleary
2. Ross
3. Father Lacombe
4. Ainlay
5. Med Hat
6. LCI
7. Bev Facey
8. Magrath
9. Bishop McNally
10. Cardston

I don't think JP is as good as people say and Manning needs to post some scores. There could be some argument for SWC and BOB but I can't see them knocking Cardston out. Unless Cardston were to lose in the very near future...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
southball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:20 am

Cardston has had a tough stretch but they pulled out a big 20 or so point win at Winston Churchill. They belong in the top ten and showed it tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Rankings   

Back to top Go down

4A Boys Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next