HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3A Boys First Rankings Predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:42 pm

1. W.R. Myers
2. Chestermere
3. Canmore Collegiate
4. Edmonton Christian
5. Sturgeon Composite
6. Ponoka
7. Wetaskiwin Composite
8. George McDougall
9. Winston Churchill
10. Holy Trinity Academy (Okotoks)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:47 am

WR Myers just lost to McCoy. That throws a hitch into everything even though the loss should really apply to the semester break ranking. Myers beats Chestermere, Chestermere beats Canmore, Myers loses to McCoy. Edmonton Christian hasn't played anyone in 3A and have lost a few more games against 4A teams that they haven't entered into exnet. Very little to compare but Sturgeon is clearly behind Edmonton Christian. WC just beat Magrath 89-85 in a close game and have to jump up if the scores last night count and McCoy would then have to be in there but below George McDougall. That's a mess. Rankers have some interesting decisions to make.

As a side note, Mike Pierzchala just signed with UofL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:58 pm

What about St Albert and St Peter the Apostle? No mention for either of these teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Neither of those teams have played anyone of significance. St Alberta has only played 2A teams other than Salisbury who are winnless on the year and St Peter has bad losses from the Lillian Osborne Tournament that aren't entered and wins by weaker opponents. Both teams should have to play someone to get a spot, even as an honorable mention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:48 pm

Surprises in the 3A rankings:

Basketball Provincial Rankings - 3A Boys

2013-14 First Ranking
Team - Zone
1 Edmonton Christian - Edmonton
2 Sturgeon Composite - Edmonton
3 W.R. Myers High - South
4 Chestermere High - South Central
5 St. Peter the Apostle - Edmonton
6 St. Albert Catholic High - Edmonton
7 Ponoka Secondary Campus - Central
8 Canmore Collegiate - South Central
9 Winston Churchill High - South
10 Wetaskiwin Composite - Central

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Fort McMurray Composite - North East
George McDougall High - South Central
Holy Trinity Academy - South Central
Monsignor McCoy - South
West Central High - Central

WR Myers obviously took a hit on the loss to McCoy but I understand the game was gift wrapped present by the hat hospitality team. McCoy lost by 30 to both Canmore and George MacDougall and won by 9 over Sylvan Lake who lost by 60 to Wetaskiwin. Yet they're all very close in the ranking despite not being close on the court. I think the top is clear but consider this. Both Edmonton Christian and Sturgeon lose by 12 to Bev Facey ranked 9 in 4A and WC beats Magrath ranked as an HM in 4A yet they're ranked 1 and 9. I suspect this top 10 will change dramatically over the course of the year as more games are played against common opponents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:28 am

Thoughts on the rankings coming up next week?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Teams need to submit scores before I want to put in a guess but I have some insight on what I've seen and heard about so far this ranking period. There are also 3 teams who didn't submit multiple losses in the last ranking period (Edmonton Christian, Sturgeon, St Peter the Apostle) and that has to be considered.

Winston Churchill should move way up with a 25 pt win over St Albert (#6), who was probably over ranked last time, and an overtime loss to Chestermere (#4) who has a nice team but aren't deep and will have a hard time if they gets refs that don't reward the pg for constantly dropping to the floor. Mike was huge in both games going for 27pts and 13rbs and 27 and 9. From what I've seen so far I think WC has a reasonable chance of both hosting and winning 3A this year.

Edmonton Christian should move down with losses in Airdrie and at home to Holy Trinity Ed who has lost to other 3A teams. They did have a very close game with Centennial who beat Holy Trinity OK easily. I'm not sure they'll hold on to that #1 though. Sturgeon lost 3 out of 4 since the last ranking and have to drop. Chestermere won on the weekend but had a loss in Airdrie to Foothills. The win this weekend should keep them where they are or even move them up.

WR Myers still has to put scores up from the weekend. They have 1 score up but are missing 2. Same with St. Peter who is missing a score but they did have 2 recorded wins over very weak teams. I guessing all of these missing scores are losses but we'll see Tuesday when those scores have to be in.

Canmore lost 2 out of 3 including 1 to Catholic Central who have lost to most teams this year and who comparatively lost badly to Chinook right before Christmas. WC lost a very close game to Chinook as well but beat Magrath who beat Chinook. A good connection of games.

St Albert lost to Holy Trinity OK and badly to WC. Ponoka lost to Edmonton Christian and still have scores from the weekend to enter. Wetaskiwin lost to Archbishop MacDonald but that says almost nothing.

In the HMs, Fort McMurray has no new scores up and little to compare to. Holy Trinity OK lost to Chestermere and Foothills but beat St Albert. McCoy has only played a very bad Brooks team since the last ranking. I have no idea how West Central was anywhere close to being an honourable mention in the first place and won't even bother with what they did. We have some friends on the west side at Chinook who saw George MacDougall and Cochrane play last weekend in Calgary. They say George MacDougall has a real game changer in a 6'9" guard who I believe is Ryan Mork. George MacDougall still has scores still to post from this weekend but had close games against tough teams the previous weekend. They also saw Cochrane who have players back from injury but are still missing a couple, one who evidently is a team alberta player. They pulled out the win when Cochrane had a last second 3 to win it rim out. Cochrane also beat Leduc who beat Ernest Manning by double digits in the same tournament. Comparatively Leduc has beaten Ponoka and lost to Wetaskiwin in close games. Cochrane also have 3 wins posted this weekend including Centennial that compares well with Edmonton Christian and Holy Trinity OK. I suspect they'll make a big jump into the mid-top 10 and could be a real contender by February.

There aren't a whole lot of other scores that look that interesting. Ardrossan and Louis St. Laurent haven't made any kind of real move and no other teams appear to be making any statements. Perhaps we'll see more by Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 pm

My thoughts on upcoming 3A rankings for what its worth;
1. Edmonton Christian
2. WR Myers
3. Chestermere
4. Winston Churchill
5. Sturgeon
6. St. Peter the Apostle
7. St. Albert Catholic
8.George McDougall
9. Cochrane
10. Canmore
HM's to St. Joseph's, Ponoka, McCoy, Holy Trinity Academy, and Fort McMurray
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: 3A Boys Exam Break Ranking Predictions   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 am

All scores are supposed to be in so here is my best guess and my rationale. I don't think there is going to be a huge change in the teams, just where they place. I think hoopfan123 picked up the teams that should be added but we'll disagree on who should drop. These are only the direct and indirect comparative games.

1. Chestermere has a 6 pt win over Canmore, a 5 pt loss to WR Myers early, a 48 pt win over McCoy, a 21 pt win over George MacDougall, a 4 pt loss to Foothills, a 25 pt win over Holy Trinity OK and a big 4 pt OT win over Winston Churchill. Their schedule has been at a top 3A level.

2. Winston Churchill has a 4 pt loss to Chinook at Chinook, a 4 pt win over Magrath, a 4 pt loss to Medicine Hat High, a 29 pt win over George MacDougall, a 25 pt win over St Albert, and a 4 pt loss to Chestmere. A tough schedule in a tough league.

3. Edmonton Christian - games include an 8 pt loss to Ernest Manning, a 7 pt win over Centennial, a 25 pt win over Ponoka, a 15 pt win over Sturgeon and a 2 pt loss over Holy Trinity Edmonton. A fairly tough schedule against 4A teams that have resulted in losses that show well. They had a loss in Edmonton and a bad loss to Foothills in Airdrie (I heard by 30) they haven't entered. I think the impact of that loss in Airdrie drops them below Chestermere and WC. But again, not entered. Maybe the rankers show some teeth and don't rank them at all.

4. WR Myers has a 12 pt win over George MacDougall, a 5 pt win over Chestermere, a 44 pt win over Wetaskiwin, a 15 pt loss to McCoy, and a 32 pt loss to Medicine Hat High. WR Myers schedule hasn't been very strong. The 32 pt loss to #10 4A Medicine Hat and the loss to McCoy don't help their case for a top ranking but big wins early keep them top 4 for now.

5. Canmore seems to be very inconsistent. a 32 pt win over McCoy, a 8 pt win over Wetaskiwin, a 38 pt win over George MacDougall, a 2 pt loss to Catholic Central who has a 9 pt loss to Magrath, a 12 pt loss to Chinook who beat WC and Cochrane by 4, and a 28 pt loss to Medicine Hat High. Their big win appears to be Percy Page by 33 who has beat Sturgeon by 18 and 11.

6. Sturgeon Composite has a 11 pt loss and a 18 pt loss to Percy Page who lost by 33 to Canmore, a 20+ pt loss to Ernest Manning now entered, a 5 pt win over Fort Mac, a 15 pt loss to Edmonton Christian. A fairly tough schedule against 4A teams that have resulted in losses that show well.

7. Cochrane is a strange one and hard to read. Their December scores show injuries and 2 losses to George MacDougall by 6 and 18. This ranking period with some injured players back, an 11 pt loss to Ernest Manning, a 4 pt loss to Chinook who beat WC by 4, a 3 pt win over Leduc who lost to foothills by 8 and beat Ponoka by 8, a 1 pt win over Centennial who beat holy Trinity OK by 7 and lost to Edmonton Christian by 7.

8. Ponoka - 6 pt loss to Leduc who lost to Cochrane by 3, a 15 pt, 8 pt and 19 pt wins over Westaskiwin whose number they seem to have and a 25 pt loss to Edmonton Christian.

9. Westaskiwin - Good top level 3a schedule. a 9 pt win over George Mac, a bad 44 pt loss to WR Myers, a 8 pt loss to Canmore, those 3 losses to Ponoka that make it tough for them, a 2 pt win over Holy Trinity OK, a 9 pt win over Leduc.

10. George MacDougall has interesting scores and a nice top 3A level schedule but appear to be very inconsistent. An 8 pt loss to WR Myers, 9 pt loss to Wetaskiwin, 31 pt win over McCoy, 21 pt loss to Chestermere, 23 pt win over McCoy, a 38 pt loss to Canmore, a 6 pt and a 18 pt win over Cochrane, a 7 pt loss to Chinook, a 11 pt loss to Ernest Manning, a 29 pt loss to Winston Churchill.

HM - Holy Trinity OK - a 7 pt loss to Centennial, a 2 pt loss to Wetaskiwin, a 21 pt loss to Foothills, a 5 pt win over St Albert, a 25 pt loss to Chestermere.

HM - St Albert has a 25 pt loss to Winston Churchill, a 5 pt loss to Holy Trinity OK and a 17 pt win over Kate Andrews. Kate Andrews lost to George Mac by 28 and WR Myers by 30.

HM - Fort Mac - a 5 pt loss to Sturgeon, a 12 pt loss to Holy Trinity ED and a 3 pt loss to ME Lazerte who lost to Edmonton Christian by 38 and Sturgeon Composite by 12. They could be better than this ranking if their schedule after the exam break has some comparable games.

HM. St Peter the Apostle has had 3 pt win over Holy Trinity Ed and a 27 pt win over a very weak Crescent Heights team who lost by 56 pts to WR Myers and 25 pts to an even weaker Eagle Butte team, as really the only comparative game. They just had a 1 pt loss to a weaker Forest Lawn team that lost by 40 to Ernest Manning and they lost at least 2 games not entered. Their schedule has been very weak. Their entire ranking is based on that 3 pt win over Holy Trinity ED. This team was way over ranked last time. HM only if rankers don't drop them off for not entering their scores.

HM - St Joesph ED lost to Holy Trinity Ed by 16, St Albert by 6, St Peter the Apostle by 10.

OUT - McCoy - lost to George Mac by 23, Canmore by 32, Chestermere by 48, but beat WR Myers by 15 in the strangest score posted yet. Depsite that big win I'm dropping them below St Joesph Ed

OUT - West Central - 56 pt loss to Ponoka, 37 pt loss to holy trinity ed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Riseupballer

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:10 pm

I noticed that 12321 has some incorrect scores when he was ranking 3a teams. It is hard to agree with 12321's rankings when his info and scores are not correct. I have not seen Myers play but Ed Christian is the best 3a I've seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:42 pm

Accuracy of the exnet scores are paramount in ranking. None of the rankers are going to see everyone play so they have to go off scores that are submitted. What scores are incorrect?

@ Riseupballer - if you're talking about the Foothills/Edmonton Christian game score not actually being as bad as the loss I heard it was (and that seems to be the key comparison between Chestermere/WC/Edmonton Christian) maybe you or your coach should just post the score to the rankings site. I think because they lost to Foothills a lot worse than Chesteremere they were worried about losing their #1 rank. So they hide the score from rankers in High River, Wetaskiwin and St Albert who obviously weren't there and won't know about it unless its posted. I think ASAA should just not rank them at all until all of those missing EC losses are recorded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Riseupballer

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Rankings don't mean much. Teams need to make provincials through their zone play downs. I think many coaches don't care where they are ranked and that is the main reason why they don't post their scores. Most of them are not trying to hide things. All league scores are available on the net so hiding them is a waste of time. Most coaches I know have so much crap and paper work to do to coach high school sport that the exnet just become pretty low on priority list. At the end of the day I do think Edmonton teams do have an advantage in the rankings because they can play in the toughest league in the province. Which is Edmonton metro premiere division.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Funny how there is time to post the wins but there is no time to post the losses. Ranking don't matter and the toughest league? Just keep telling yourself that and all will be fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Riseupballer

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:26 am

O'leary, Ainlay, Shep, Jasper place, Bev facey. Enough said. Go back to your hole.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 pm

I agree with 12321 that ANY team that desires to be ranked must enter ALL scores no matter what. Otherwise the integrity of the rankings is thrown out the window. But I also agree with riseup that rankings don't mean a whole lot until the final ranking and teams must at least make it to Zone finals, if not win their Zone to qualify. As we see every year, only about half of the top 10 3A schools in the final ranking will make it to provincials.

From what I've seen, Edmonton Christian is the best 3A team so far. Tough to move them down unless they are not ranked due to missing scores (likely not going to happen). Chestermere has a nice team as well but are lacking depth. Myers looked strong the one game I saw them but are lacking size. Churchill is strong as well and is hosting so I wouldn't count them out. I would bet at least 3 of these 4 teams will be playing in the provincial semi-finals, if not all 4. As for the top 4, like I mentioned earlier;
1. EC - good wins, only 1 bad loss to Foothills, remain at the top
2. Myers - good wins, only 1 bad loss to McCoy, move up to #2
3. Chestermere - good wins, no real bad losses but Myers beat them in tournament
4. Churchill - no real big wins yet but are strong, lost to Chestermere in what I heard was an exciting game, and loss to Chinook was bad
5-10 - anyone's guess but Edmonton and Central seem to always be favored in the rankings so expect many teams from both those zones
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:56 pm

I agree with hoopfan123. The final ranking is what really counts. Rankings also mean wildcards. 1 zone team in the top 7 of 3A probably means all 3 wildcards go to other zones.

@ Riseupballer - No doubt the top end is there but last time I looked there are 14 teams in that division and some ugly league games. Does that become a sweeping generalization or an affirmation of the consequent?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys First Rankings Predictions   Today at 8:07 pm

Back to top Go down

3A Boys First Rankings Predictions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1