HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Does BNB make a difference for A schools?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dungarvon hooper

PostSubject: Does BNB make a difference for A schools?   Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Just wondering what the opinion is regarding A players making it to BNB teams. This summer Orser and Foster went to the Canada Summer games, Hambrook and Henry (both from John Caldwell) made it to the U15 and U15 development teams respectively. I think these are great accomplishments for boys coming out of the A schools and speaks highly to them putting in the time to go to BNB development camps, etc. Not to mention their home coaches! AA and AAA schools have the opportunity to play all summer in their larger centers but not so for some of the A schools who close the gym for the summer. Obviously these boys bring their knowledge back to their team as seen with JCS beating DPCS by over 25 in their first match-up this season. Are there other teams who have shown improvement in one year due to players making BNB teams? Is Hartland's success in part because 2 players consistently play with BNB teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
f4xi

PostSubject: Re: Does BNB make a difference for A schools?   Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:25 pm

I would say it helps make the team stronger. Single A players being on BNB teams is not anything new. Harvey has I believe 4 BNB players (Drummond, Drummond, Curtis, Gillespie), Grand Manan has Pothier, Hartland has Orser and Foster, McAdam had Moffitt and McGillicuddy from a couple years back, and Devon Park had Harrington and Meikle. These schools also have solid coaching which results in them consistently being the upper level teams of "A". John Caldwell is going through this now with their young core group and strong coaching staff and will be consistently strong for the forseeable future.

dungarvon hooper wrote:
Just wondering what the opinion is regarding A players making it to BNB teams. This summer Orser and Foster went to the Canada Summer games, Hambrook and Henry (both from John Caldwell) made it to the U15 and U15 development teams respectively. I think these are great accomplishments for boys coming out of the A schools and speaks highly to them putting in the time to go to BNB development camps, etc. Not to mention their home coaches! AA and AAA schools have the opportunity to play all summer in their larger centers but not so for some of the A schools who close the gym for the summer. Obviously these boys bring their knowledge back to their team as seen with JCS beating DPCS by over 25 in their first match-up this season. Are there other teams who have shown improvement in one year due to players making BNB teams? Is Hartland's success in part because 2 players consistently play with BNB teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Does BNB make a difference for A schools?   Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:30 pm

I agree they were all good ballplayers before bnb or they wouldn't have been chosen for bnb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Does BNB make a difference for A schools?   Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I would say that the BNB experience helps any team or program. Getting your kids playing/practicing/training at a high level  surronded by movtivated athletes and coaches can only help players. In programs where it is the norm and numerous players do it/ the pool of talent is relatively stronger you may not always see the advantage as dramatically or as often.

For most of the kids who play "A" basketball ( but really any division where they are not from a top 5-10 program in the province) the expectations, experiences and learning they have when they go back to their program makes a distinct difference in their game and exposes the other players on their team to a different level. If the teammates can then elevate their practice and playing habits to become closer to that new level then that would put them at a significant advantage to schools that don't practice that way, don't have those experiences to draw on, don't have those sorts of players.

On a practical level, if your practices intensity and energy level are being dictated by your leaders and best players then having your leaders and best players having played at the highest level possible can only help. If a kid only ever practices being defended by the kids on their team and their the best player/athlete that only gets them so far. IF a kid has been guarded regularly by the best in the province or in other provinces they have a different level of composure adn understanding. In a big game/ moment if their is a situation or defensive stunt that has to be overcome I think everyone would rather have the more seasoned and exposed player having to make the adjustments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does BNB make a difference for A schools?   Today at 9:05 am

Back to top Go down

Does BNB make a difference for A schools?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1