HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JrCoachS

PostSubject: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:53 pm

After alleged incident during the Edmonton trip 10 days ago...

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/7-players-from-top-ranked-b-c-basketball-team-suspended-1.1599848
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVBasketballFan

PostSubject: wow   Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:43 pm

Just heard about this. Just unbelievable. Rumours circulating on social media, but I'd prefer not to feed speculation on this forum. Shocking to hear this news.

Not that it has any significance compared to this, but I wonder if Mouat's annual Hawkball tournament will be cancelled this weekend, as I believe it's supposed to start tomorrow? I'm not sure if they have enough athletes to field a team currently, and have never heard of a host team forfeiting.

Thanks for sharing the link
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:30 am

-

Last edited by whaaat on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fraservalley

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:02 am

I had heard about this last week, as the Mouat players were all suspended for the Yale game at Abby Police tourney. I also would not like to spread rumors, but have heard some disturbing and disappointing things. The players were suspended the last 5 days, which any teachers, or school staff know, 5 day and over 5 day it sounds like in 4 cases aren't handed out lightly. As far as I know the Hawkball is on as they played in Abby police with gr 11's. I hope the allegations aren't true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just a fan

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:09 am

Yikes! That's all I can say! Very serious situation!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldbulldog

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:17 pm

coaches quote from the Abby News

“By the time we’re back in school in January, things will be more clear,” Ralston said.

“I think that there will be some guys that come back, but some guys won’t. It’s just the nature of the incident. Very poor decision-making . . . the consequences can be dire if you’re not being smart.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FraserVersaceBall

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Any word on what has happened to the 7 players?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just a fan

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:11 pm

I believe it's still under investigation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:40 am

FraserVersaceBall wrote:
Any word on what has happened to the 7 players?

It's my understanding that four will go to district review and three will go to school review. January 7 is a date I've heard thrown around, but I've also heard January 15.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
outlawpete

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:35 pm

It looks like the players may be back as I saw a post by Jesus listing stats for some of them. Anybody know wats up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just a fan

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:43 pm

No idea, but if the allegations are accurate than I must say that I'm shocked they are back playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Just a fan wrote:
No idea, but if the allegations are accurate than I must say that I'm shocked they are back playing.

Innocent until proven guilty.
Back to top Go down
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Just a fan wrote:

Exactly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just a fan

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:55 pm

I respect that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:04 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Just a fan wrote:

I agree and just hope that the investigation is very thorough and objective for sake of all parties.  It also needs to be done as quickly as possible.  The allegations are obviously very serious given quotes from coach and fact they were suspended prior to investigation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 am

PressThis wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Just a fan wrote:

I agree and just hope that the investigation is very thorough and objective for sake of all parties.  It also needs to be done as quickly as possible.  The allegations are obviously very serious given quotes from coach and fact they were suspended prior to investigation.

I still can't believe ANYTHING happened. I coach senior for 20 years - hazing was one of the first conversations we had with the players - ZERO tolerance on hazing. No hazing in any form OTHER than the juniors had to carry the seniors bags one the first trip of the year. Nothing beyond the carrying of the bag and then nothing at all after the first trip.

Penalty was simple - off the team... to start.
Back to top Go down
BestHoop

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:34 am

I think hazing is much more harsh in the college level because alcohol is a factor but that is another story. As for HS usually the younger kids mop the floor, hold the door, carry bags, fill up water bottles etc...but nothing as serious as what happened at Mouat. But I'm sure investigating was done properly and so whoever isn't suspended probably didn't play a huge part in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:52 am

BestHoop wrote:
I think hazing is much more harsh in the college level because alcohol is a factor but that is another story. As for HS usually the younger kids mop the floor, hold the door, carry bags, fill up water bottles etc...but nothing as serious as what happened at Mouat. But I'm sure investigating was done properly and so whoever isn't suspended probably didn't play a huge part in it.

Hazing has been illegal at a lot of US universities since some of the deaths in the 80's and 90's.

I pretty sure there was a directive from the NCAA in the early 90's with zero tolerance on hazing after their was several serious incidents in a short period of time. The council of school presidents moved quickly to end hazing - criminal charges and expulsion being some of the penalties.

Several US universities ended fraternities over the hazing and rampant underage drinking that often went with it.
Back to top Go down
ebe

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:17 am

Article on the Sardis vs Mouatt game.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/239305651.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:02 am

I'm certain there are only a very few who know what actually transpired. The allegations and matter was obviously serious enought for Mouat and the Abbotsford School District to take immediate action. The situation garnered much media attention, which incited a police investigation. What we have to do is believe in the process that the various stakeholders undertook which involved their own investigations and penalties. It is a dangerous enterprise for us to speculate on the allegations and ramifications of the investigations, but we should feel that the investigations were handled professionally. This matter lies with Mouat Secondary, Mouat players and coaches and the Abbotsford School District and we should leave it there. The bottom line is that I'm certain if any of the allegations were substantiated that these young boys have grown a lot as individuals and student-athletes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:12 pm

Well said Aristotle.
Leave it be.
We have no idea what went on, but we do know it was investigated with the full knowledge it was taking place in the public eye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....   Today at 5:11 am

Back to top Go down

WJ Mouat suspends 7 players.....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1