HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bambamballer

PostSubject: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the rankings?  Tough to generate them without Calgary running their Basketball Classic and a lot of missing scores on xnet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambamballer

PostSubject: I meant Girls 4A X-mas Break Rankings   Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:07 am

Auto Corrected X-mas to Exam??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Exam break rankings will change for sure as SACHS lost in league to Spruce Grove by 6 this past week. The difficulty was not having the Calgary tournament to confirm what their selection committee had put forth going into that tournament. Because they had ranked Centennial #1 for that tournament and not enough games had been played to dispute that ranking - it was left as is (plus Centennial has had success over the last number of years). Chinnook got off to a late start - they were supposed to be @ Mike Dea tournament in Edmonton but pulled out - it would have certainly allowed a closer look (SACHS would have played them in the semi-finals). They do return all their starters from a team that headed into provincials #2 last year - plus they got some quality 10's. Their wins have been dominant beyond belief also considering that for a few of those games, Kacie Bosch was not present as she attended a Basketball Canada camp. In my opinion, Chinnook will be the Western Canada of a couple years ago where they have immense talent and size and be the odds of favorite to win it all. The other top 6-7 teams will have to play competitive games throughout the season to fine-tune their skills/ O and D so that they are fully prepared with scouting reports to take it to Chinnook. Teams cannot have an "off-game" and hope to win. SACHS, Cardston, Centennial, Sir Winston Churchill and McCoy (3A) are some of the teams at Chinnook's tournament in early January. That should be a great indicator of how teams stack up early against #1. The overall level of basketball in the Edmonton area will be higher for sure than past years and having combined the 2 edmonton league into a Metro Tier 1, there are no more gives that can be overlooked. Hopefully this pays dividends in March.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Its so tough to come up with accurate rankings this early in the season especially with the Calgary Basketball Classic being cancelled. I think out of Calgary Centennial is the undisputed #1 at the moment but i don’t think they’re that far out in front. I think Scarlett and Aberhart are the most likely to win Cities if Centennial doesn’t (key word being "if") but for the record Centennial is the team to beat in Calgary right now…. But they are beatable. Manning, Marys, Western, SWC, and Bishop Carroll are all in the conversation and can easily beat Scarlett, Centennial, and Aberhart if none of those teams show up for that game. The rankings out of Calgary will be what they be when the city championship is crowned. It seems as though each placing out of Calgary has its place in provincial rankings. The #1 team will be in the top 3 the #2 in the top 5, #3 in the top 8 and so on.
JDeeds referring to your comments about Chinook….. doesn’t anyone in Alberta have the potential to beat them….. come march if not today?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:04 pm

Chinook certainly seems to have had a dominant start. They are the early season favourites but too much can happen between now and March to call them a lock.
The only teams who have gone wire to wire as number 1's and unbeaten in the past 10 years both had twin Plouffe's on them. If Chinook could match that feat it would be very impressive.

Another factor not talked about is that St. Albert played the first month of the season without one of their U17 Provincial team players who was hurt at volleyball provincials but will be back in January. They had a dominant run losing only one game without her. They will certainly be better with her back and I think have the best shot at giving Chinook a run at the tournament down south in January.

Calgary is the unknown right now but always have a couple of top teams. I like Centennial and Aberhart right now as the teams who will compete at the top of the province. Churchill will also return a provincial team guard from an acl injury later this year and could make a push, but lacks the depth that the other top teams have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:56 am

The Chinook tournament looks good but: 1st the Cardston tournament the weekend before features #3 Raymond,
#4 Centennial, #5 Spruce Grove (who just beat #2 St. Albert), #6 EP Scarlett, #10 Cardston, along with Catholic Central and St. Marys , who both are always tough!
The Semi Final between Raymond and Spruce Grove will be the best game! After Raymond beats Spruce Grove  and then Centennial to win the Cardston tournament , they will move into #2 until they beat Chinook.
Raymond is rolling and will roll over the rest of the province!!

Last edited by Southfan on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bambamballer

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:51 pm

I agree SouthFan, the Cardston tourney should be an interesting weekend of basketball. I think you meant #4 Centennial (not Chinook) in the final against Raymond. I also agree the potential Raymond vs. Spruce Grove will be a great game. I am interested to see how the Calgary teams fair against some of these teams from the south and Spruce Grove. Interesting first round game would be #10 Cardston vs #6 Scarlett. Tough to look too much into these results however, coming off the exam break. I'm sure there will be some periods of not so great ball as players get the rust off after x-mas break. After looking at the results before the break, Raymond definitely looks like the team to beat however, it's still early.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: cardston high school tourment   Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

so raymond won the tourment looks like had a good game with spruces grove beat cennetial pretty good it looks like
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:35 pm

Actually , Raymond beat Spruce Grove in Semi final by 1, Centennial beat Cardston in Double overtime by 5.
Spruce Grove beat Cardston by 10 in 3rd place game and Raymond beat Centennial in final by 13.
Looks like the top 4 are definately Raymond,Chinook,Spruce Grove and St. Albert with Centennial and Cardston right behind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings   Today at 11:03 pm

Back to top Go down

Girls 4A Exam Break Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1