HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Stories of the Year for NB Basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bev Sinclair

PostSubject: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:58 am

Let's get a change of topic over the holidays, augmented perhaps by some Christmas cheer to get tongues wagging.
Stories of the year in New Brunswick basketball?
There's plenty from rule modifications to coaching changes to success stories from individuals to teams.
I've been able to get out to see a lot of NBIAA play and a lot of minor BNB play this fall/winter. There's some talent on the horizon.
However, the highlight for this old geezer was the Canada Summer Games men's team in Quebec. No medals, but they put on quite a display.
Your turn.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Bev Sinclair
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:44 pm

I think the story of the year is the little town of Sussex NB U14 girls losing by 5 to Blessed Sacrament out of Hamilton by 5 in the Eastern Canadian U14 girls final. Blessed Sacrament routinely churns out Ontario championship teams and provincial team players as well as girls who go on to play at the CIS and NCAA level. The U14 girls in the province are a strong group and should show well at next summer's U15 national championship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:05 pm

story of the year is the incredible talent that plays on various NB high school teams boys and girls, if we could harness what we have throughout the year I believe NB could compete with ON, AB, SK etc.
Get out and watch for yourself, HNY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:42 pm

If were talking about Basketball in New Brunswick in its entirety. I think the UNB Varsity Reds are quite a story. A team that has a been a bottom dweller of the AUS for the past few years is now #1 in the AUS and #9 in the country. Only imagine if the city of Fredericton supported them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:20 am

UNB M are fun to watch, good size crowd at last game vs SMU; people will come after Xmas vs DAL Jan 11, they are NB's only AUS bball team come support them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Since the BNB teams this summer were already mentioned I'll throw out the new position of the Technical Director. Not just attending/co-ordinating events and making policy, but actually getting hands on. Setting up clinics and curriculum for minor programs to implement with their youth programs, going to nationals and supporting coaching staffs on the floor as a bench a staff and off the floor with scouting reports. While co-ordinating and supporting technical development in the province is still coaching and contributing to both provincial programs and minor associations. Bringing in high level coach development personelle from CB to make more coaching evaluators and coach instructors available.

Whether you agree with all the changes or decisions being made at a provincial level, it is definitely more intense, more directed and more hands on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Agree completely with work being done by Tech Director, it was a shame and the results significant when this position was eliminated due to budget mess!  Nice to see position located in Mctn gives some spread to BNB resources. keep up good work
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:51 pm

I thnk BNB is headed in the right direction with the TD position. As far as the success of the CG teams this past summer I believe it is directly related to the person calling the shots on the sideline. The boys team had an individual who motivated his kids and they would have ran through a brick wall for him, the girls team not so much. Maybe a little basic but I think that pretty well sums it up. BNB needs to put a little more effort into selecting the right people for the job, at least on the girls side, when it comes to who coaches the top kids in the province(U 17)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 pm

nice older thread. good topic. but if you are going to look at the unb men, and I think you should, don't miss out on the stu teams. both rolling now. women's esppecially
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stories of the Year for NB Basketball   Today at 7:14 am

Back to top Go down

Stories of the Year for NB Basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1