HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 5 A Schools

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Nballer25

PostSubject: Top 5 A Schools   Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 am

To me the previous predictions are unaccurate. I thought I should put a new post up and see if anyone agrees that some teams in this devision have improved a bit and see if they can take over some positions in the previous top 5.

So what are you new top 5 for the new year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:48 pm

It is hard to place the top 5 in "A" boys and girls because of the inconsistent play of team. Other than Caldwell for the girls, there is not a clear cut seed anywhere in this. Individual matchups and "hot hands" play such a huge roll at this level. How else do you explain the girls results....Caledonia over Harvey and GM, Harvey over Peti, Peti over Caledonia and GM, GM over Harvey? Any given day as far as I can see. As far as the boys go, It would appear it is a 3 horse race with Hartland, GM and Harvey. Harvey has the only win over Hartland (in double OT if I remember correctly), but GM has 2 convincing wins over Harvey. Is GM that much better than Hartland? Only time will tell. Here is my rankings just for something to do.

Girls
1.John Caldwell (not sure what would have to happen for them to lose but then again, I have heard that about teams before)
2.Caledonia (only loss of concern was a league game to Peti which is huge, but I will give them #2 as defending champs)
3. Cantebury (a "close" loss to Caldwell by 15 was an impressive showing. They beat an exhausted GM at Harvey minutes after a very emotional game between Harvey and GM, not sure how they really stack up against each other. The rest of Cantebury's wins are all against teams they should beat. Wins are wins so for now, they deserve this placement)
4.Peti ( a loss to Harvey is the only reason they are higher than this, but they presently have the edge on #1 seed in the East which could be huge come playoff time. Their other league game with Cal at Peti could be the deal breaker)
5. Grand Manan (probably the easiest seed to place, with losses to the higher seeds and a league win at Harvey puts them at #4)
6. Have to mention Harvey(gets the 6 seed solely for the win over Peti. Had they won at home vs GM, there could have been an argument for them to be as high as #4)

Not really sure if there are any other girls team that could make any noise at all come playoff time. Going to stab at teams making the final 8 (weekend before Harbour Station) Southwest -JC, Cantebury, GM and Harvey. NE - Cal, Peti, Stanley and Dalhousie.

Boys
1. Hartland(defending Champs, can't put Harvey over them because of losses to GM)
2. Grand Manan (scores could indicate that they are ahead of Hartland but until they beat the Huskies, can't put them at #1)
3. Harvey (had them at #1 even after the 1st loss to GM on the island, but the huge loss to the Breakers at the DP tournament was just too big. Gotta wonder if there is something going on internally there)
4.Caledonia (some close losses to Harvey and GM puts them in here)
5. McAdam(very quietly playing well. a close win over Campo seems odd, nobody saying much about them which is just how they like it)
If I had to pick the 8 for sectional weekend for the boys, it might be something like this. SW- Hartland, GM, Harvey and McAdam. NE - Cal, Belleisles, Stanley and Dal.

There is my insight. I love this game!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nballer25

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 pm

But you can't forget John Caldwell boys who had a very close encounter with GM with only a 5 point difference. They can be a contender also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Nballer25 wrote:
But you can't forget John Caldwell boys who had a very close encounter with GM with only a 5 point difference. They can be a contender also.

Caldwell has no significant wins... hard to place them in top 5.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nballer25

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 pm

In their defence neither does McAdam, Caldwell 27-6 from what I've heard against all competition. Not all easy either. Considering they are an extremely young squad, they can most likely make a nice appearance in a year or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buckets

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Are you trying to say they are 27 wins 6 losses?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:11 am

If Caldwell is 27-6 and games remaining their season could be over as they are in violation of the NBIAA game limit. Maybe more research is needed or be careful what is posted. I believe the game limit is 32, not sure? But no higher than 36 and they probably have league games left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 am

Nballer25 wrote:
In their defence neither does McAdam, Caldwell 27-6 from what I've heard against all competition. Not all easy either. Considering they are an extremely young squad, they can most likely make a nice appearance in a year or so.

We are talking about this year, not next, and who are their wins against that would be worth mentioning?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:03 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:23 pm

ForceHimLeft wrote:

Thats hilarious!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Perhaps it was a typo and their record is 17-6.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nballer25

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:57 am

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks metta it was a typo, haha thats funny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:43 am

Perhaps it being a typo is the easy answer...the NBIAA will decide I suspect. Basketball Basketball 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:53 am

To give a legitimate answer, if the Caldwell guys wanted be ranked a bit higher based on losses. Sure a 5 point loss to Grand Manan is great, but the very next day a 26 point loss to Harvey? Maybe I'm just being a scrooge!  santa 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:56 am

ForceHimLeft wrote:
To give a legitimate answer, if the Caldwell guys wanted be ranked a bit higher based on losses. Sure a 5 point loss to Grand Manan is great, but the very next day a 26 point loss to Harvey? Maybe I'm just being a scrooge!  santa 

A loss is a loss, is a loss. Get a win if you want in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 pm

Any impact games this weekend in "A" ball?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm

Metta Peace wrote:
Any impact games this weekend in "A" ball?

Big Games on Grand Manan. Friday night, Campobello boys and girls are in town, followed by Harvey boys and girls on Saturday. A win by the GM girls on Saturday basically locks up an Regionals tournament for them. On the boys side, this is the first league game between Harvey and Grand Manan. GM took the first 2 meeting, the first at the Grand Manan tournament and the second at Devon Park's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Sounds like some good games on the Island. Anymore impact games in the other conferences?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Harvey girls over Grand Manan by 3. Grand Manan beat Harvey boys by 10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Any updates from the McAdam/Harvey games tonight?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:21 pm

39forever wrote:
Any updates from the McAdam/Harvey games tonight?

Harvey girls won 60-30
Harvey boys up  44-39 at half...... 87-69 final for Harvey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:01 pm

observer wrote:
Harvey girls over Grand Manan by 3. Grand Manan beat Harvey boys by 10

food for thought...So looking at the regionals to be hosted in Hartland, it looks like GM should stroll through to the final quite easily with Harvey and Hartland having to play in the 2nd round<these are all assumptions that the top teams will win their 1st round and GM wins the 2nd vs a weaker team> This will put GM in a very good position going into sectional either #2 or #1 and hosting. #2 would give them an easier route on the other side leaving Harvey and Hartland to battle it out to go to Harbour. #1 would allow them to host and we all know the atmosphere at GM gym during playoffs! Winning those 2 games vs Harvey was a big boost!

Anyone have any predictions on which 2 we will see at Harbour?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 pm

If I am not mistaken Harvey and Grand Manan boys have played only one league game. The first two Grand Manan wins were in tournaments and the most recent 10 point win on the Island was a league result. While things could still turn out as you said there is a chance Harvey could beat Grand Manan by 10+ and get the #1 seed from the south.

This will be an interesting regional. What will be a bigger advantage to these three teams - winning the right to host and getting a tough sectionals final game or finishing second in the regional, going on the road, and getting what should be an easier opponent in the sectional final?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:34 pm

observer wrote:
If I am not mistaken Harvey and Grand Manan boys have played only one league game.  The first two Grand Manan wins were in tournaments and the most recent 10 point win on the Island was a league result.  While things could still turn out as you said there is a chance Harvey could beat Grand Manan by 10+ and get the #1 seed from the south.

This will be an interesting regional.  What will be a bigger advantage to these three teams - winning the right to host and getting a tough sectionals final game or finishing second in the regional, going on the road, and getting what should be an easier opponent in the sectional final?  

I stand corrected...you are right...only 1 league game has been played. If Harvey happens to win by 11, I guess what I said in the earlier post about GM will apply to Harvey..lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:23 pm

observer wrote:
If I am not mistaken Harvey and Grand Manan boys have played only one league game.  The first two Grand Manan wins were in tournaments and the most recent 10 point win on the Island was a league result.  While things could still turn out as you said there is a chance Harvey could beat Grand Manan by 10+ and get the #1 seed from the south.

This will be an interesting regional.  What will be a bigger advantage to these three teams - winning the right to host and getting a tough sectionals final game or finishing second in the regional, going on the road, and getting what should be an easier opponent in the sectional final?  

I like that your thinking presumes the third best team will attempt to win the 3rd place game and be in the first place section on their side.

I've never been a big fan of the regional format because of that game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Today at 5:42 am

Back to top Go down

Top 5 A Schools
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next