HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 5 A Schools

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:36 pm

DJR...that 3rd place game would be difficult for 1 of those 3 teams to throw + its really no advantage as they would still have to play the 2nd place team in sectionals and those 3 are all pretty close. The bigger question is...do they play for #1 spot or #2?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HisAirness

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:56 pm

I agree with coach DJR the regional format is broken. Take the AA boys group Woodstock, CN, and Rothesay are all coming out of the same zone the second place team is going to head over to a much weaker Northeast sectional being in second place is a much better place to be. In years that there is a power house in play a fourth place finish is preferred so you can take your chances trying to upset the 2 seed. I guess this is a function of leagues being built on school size not talent
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Pretty sure you've got to play for 1. Even if you get a tougher final its at home on day two of a playoff weekend. With a regional you are at playoff game #5 with teams going as hard a possible. Injury, legs, focus depth all get magnified at that point. If you can play at home to eliminate that issue too you've got to have it.

Harvey would be the one of the three that I see having the hardest time losing the 3rd place game. I'm not saying that any of the teams should or woould try to lose it. In fact I'm always on the side of play to win.  Of the three Harvey is the deeper top to bottom and their style of play is probably the easiest for their bench kids to translate successfully. Gm/Hartland have some good bench kids too but if you get their 3 best kids on the sidelines in street clothes then those teams aren't the same. Keeping in mind the idea that the 4th place team there will try to take advantage in getting a win over one of the top teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 pm

There was a previous post around this time last year that talked about the 3/4 game issue. Never been a fan of this format.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Any team choosing to finish 4th in the SW is still taking a huge chance. The NE is Caledonia's to lose and they have played close with GM and Harvey at some point this season. Is it worth it to travel to Caledonia to play the biggest game of the season? 4th place will have to go through Caledonia and Harvey/GM (I am still think Hartland will come out on top) instead of probably Dalhousie or Belleisle in the first game of sectionals. The EASIEST road is 2nd place in the SW if Hartland/Harvey/GM are all in the top 3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Any word on the Caledonia/Peti girls game tonight?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 am

Caledonia by close to 30.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Did Grand Manan and MacAdam play this weekend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BumptheCutter

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Grand Manan 80
McAdam 68
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Situation is simple. "A" Girls, John Caldwell#1 and then a gap which includes(Caledonia) another gap and then we have (PRS, Grand Manan, Harvey). In boys, Hartland #1 and then a gap which includes ( Harvey, GM, JC, McAdam, Caledonia, Devon Park, Canterbury) anything can happen with the teams in brackets on any given day as they all have had close encounters. Play all games to the best of your ability and don't fiddle with placements. Play it out until the end. Perhaps the winner of the 3\4 game should choose where they want to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:41 am

Metta Peace wrote:
Situation is simple.  "A" Girls, John Caldwell#1 and then a gap which includes(Caledonia) another gap and then we have (PRS, Grand Manan, Harvey).  In boys, Hartland #1 and then a gap which includes ( Harvey, GM, JC, McAdam, Caledonia, Devon Park, Canterbury)  anything can happen with the teams in brackets on any given day as they all have had close encounters.  Play all games to the best of your ability and don't fiddle with placements.  Play it out until the end.  Perhaps the winner of the 3\4 game should choose where they want to go.

I do not disagree with what you are saying, but you may have overlooked the Canterbury girls....just from their results, they might be there with Caledonia. I think they host Caledonia this weekend...might be interesting.

I also agree with the 3/4 game...just play to win...you are eventually going to have to beat a really good team anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:51 am

I can't believe I am saying this but I have to agree with Breaker on this one , Canterbury can be a spoiler this year for sure.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:20 am

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
I can't believe I am saying this but I have to agree with Breaker on this one , Canterbury can be a spoiler this year for sure.......

I think Canterbury girls are 10-15 pts better than Caledonia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:33 am

You are all correct, I meant to put Canterbury girls in that cluster of teams. I know they are very capable...but still after the JC gap for sure . Congrats to the team for having such a good season, boys as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 am

Canterbury does play Caledonia this weekend. However Celtic, I would not put much on this game since Caledonia is making the road trip and playing Harvey prior to Canterbury. Could be facing a very tired group of girls especially not being on the court much this week due to exams. There are always factors so don't rely on scores. Good luck to both teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:47 am

Metta Peace wrote:
Canterbury does play Caledonia this weekend.  However Celtic,  I would not put much on this game since Caledonia is making the road trip and playing Harvey prior to Canterbury.  Could be facing a very tired group of girls especially not being on the court much this week due to exams.  There are always factors so don't rely on scores.  Good luck to both teams.

I agree totally plus its not likely either team will show it's full hand. I may have gotten ahead of myself a bit on the 10-15 pt difference. After consideration, I would change that comment to say I think these teams are fairly close and I think if they happen to meet in sectionals, it would be a good game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:46 pm

In 'A' boys southern conference league play, Harvey over Grand Manan 84-72, putting them currently in first place. Grand Manan won by ten in Grand Manan in the first league game.

Controversy at the end of the game, unfortunately.  Lakers at the line for one after a basket with 4.4 seconds left. An intentional miss did not hit the rim, but was not called by the official.  Grand Manan had one timeout remaining, and could have advanced the ball to the front court with a time out, had the call been made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rudas

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 am

I'm not sure how two quality officials could miss an obvious violation like that. It wasn't even close to the rim. I also would like to hear an explanation as to how the lakers came out of the little melee earlier in the second half with two shots and the ball. Initially the refs told coach Veysey it was going to be four shots and the ball and reduced it to two. Strange night indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:26 am

Rudas wrote:
I'm not sure how two quality officials could miss an obvious violation like that. It wasn't even close to the rim. I also would like to hear an explanation as to how the lakers came out of the little melee earlier in the second half with two shots and the ball. Initially the refs told coach Veysey it was going to be four shots and the ball and reduced it to two. Strange night indeed.
On the melee in the second half, I believe the calls were:
foul on the floor #8 Harvey.
Technical foul #7 Grand Manan
Technical Foul #50 Grand Manan
Technical foul #3 Harvey
2 techs offset, Harvey shoots for the extra tech.
Looked to me like they got it right, except #5 not #50 should have gotten the second tech
Back to top Go down
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:25 pm

Did the varsity girls game between Canterbuy and Caledonia get played this weekend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 am

I believe Cant and Cal play Tuesday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:51 pm

Did the Cant and Cal girls game get played tonight? How are the Cant boys doing? Not many results coming through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Metta Peace wrote:
Did the Cant and Cal girls game get played tonight?  How are the Cant boys doing? Not many results coming through.
Caladonia played Harvey girls tonight and won a close One , think it ended 62-58.
Back to top Go down
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Canterbury at John Caldwell tonight. I'm thinking Canterbury may surprise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:34 pm

Can't see Canterbury beating JCS. Canterbury is good, but Caldwell is at a different level than other A girls teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 A Schools   Today at 1:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 5 A Schools
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next