HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Predictions for new top 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Pooch wrote:
Van College is pushing for some recognition too.
Over the past two weeks they lost by 2 to Burnaby South who were at a rare full strength, beat Mouat by 40, beat St. George's, Pitt and Walnut Grove.  Lost a close one to Fox.  

Agreed. Well coached team. Many of their wins (if not all) came from home games. Just want to see them rendering the same strong performance playing away before giving them full credit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:41 pm

Pooch wrote:
Over the past two weeks they lost by 2 to Burnaby South who were at a rare full strength, beat Mouat by 40, beat St. George's, Pitt and Walnut Grove. Lost a close one to Fox.

Van College has had a great week and a half, best stretch they have had all season, but a little perspective on those wins, Mouat was without Tristan Etienne, St. George's is Unranked, Pitt is a solid win, and Walnut Grove was without both Tyler Anderson and Jadon Cohee. The wins look good on paper, and watching VC I do think they are playing their best ball right now and should get the 3rd Prov. Mainland berth (behind Churchill and South) but personally I still wouldn't have them as a top 10 team, HM sure, but just not top 10 yet.

My New Projected BC AAAA Top 10 (as of Game Results after Jan.26, 2014)
(Unofficial)

My Current Rank; Team; (Current Province Rank); Record vs. BC comp.

1. Tamanawis (2) 15-2
Key Win/Loss this season:
Win vs. Churchill(x2)
Losses vs. WJ Mouat, Gleneagle

2. Sir Winston Churchill (1) 20-3
Wins vs. Holy Cross, Bby South, Kelowna, Terry Fox, Sardis, Gleneagle, Pitt Meadows, Yale
Losses vs. Bby South, Tamanawis(x2)

3. Holy Cross (5) 17-2
Wins vs. Gleneagle, Pitt Meadows, Vancouver College, Bby South, Terry Fox
Losses vs. Churchill, Gleneagle

4. Gleneagle (4) 14-6
Wins vs. Pitt Meadows, Tamanawis, Walnut Grove, Holy Cross, Terry Fox, WJ Mouat
Loss vs. Walnut Grove(x2), Holy Cross, Sardis, Churchill, Heritage Woods

5. Walnut Grove (3) 19-3
Wins vs. Gleneagle(x2), Pitt Meadows, Claremont, Yale(x2), Terry Fox(x2), MEI, WJ Mouat
Loss vs. Gleneagle, Vancouver College, Sardis

6. Terry Fox (HM) 12-7
Wins vs. Vancouver College(x2), Bby South, Delta, Kelowna, Walnut Grove, Sardis
Loss vs. WJ Mouat, Churchill, Claremont, Walnut Grove(x2), Holy Cross, Gleneagle

7. Sardis (7) 19-3
Wins vs. Kelowna, Delta, Bby South, Gleneagle, Yale, Walnut Grove
Losses vs. Churchill, WJ Mouat, Terry Fox

8. Yale (9) 9-9
Win vs. Bby South(x2), WJ Mouat, Vancouver College, Claremont
Losses vs. Claremont, Walnut Grove, MEI, Walnut Grove, Bby South, WJ Mouat, Sardis, Churchill, Kitsilano

9. Claremont (8 ) 14-2
Wins vs. Yale, Vancouver College, Terry Fox
Loss vs. Walnut Grove, Yale

10. Bby South (10) 12-6
Win vs. Churchill, Vancouver College(x3), WJ Mouat, Yale
Losses vs. Churchill, Yale(x2), Fox, Sardis, Holy Cross

HM. MEI (HM) 14-5
Win vs. Yale, Kelowna, WJ Mouat
Losses vs. Terry Fox, Sardis, Walnut Grove, Vancouver College, Abbotsford Sr.

HM. Vancouver College (HM) 11-12
Win vs. WJ Mouat, Pitt Meadows, Walnut Grove
Losses vs. Terry Fox(x2), Bby South(x3), Oak Bay, Holy Cross, Lambrick Park, Claremont, SMU, Queen Charlotte, Yale

HM. Pitt Meadows (6) 15-7
Wins vs. WJ Mouat
Loss vs. Kelowna, Gleneagle, Walnut Grove, Holy Cross, Churchill, VC, SMU

HM. WJ Mouat (HM) 12-9
Win vs. Tamanawis, Delta, Sardis, Kelowna, Yale
Loss vs. Pitt Meadows, North Surrey, DP Todd, Bby South, Yale, Vancouver College, Walnut Grove, Gleneagle, MEI

HM. Kelowna (HM) 12-5
Win vs. -
Losses vs. Churchill, Sardis, Terry Fox, WJ Mouat, MEI
Back to top Go down
View user profile
perfectgame

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Pooch wrote:
Over the past two weeks they lost by 2 to Burnaby South who were at a rare full strength, beat Mouat by 40, beat St. George's, Pitt and Walnut Grove.  Lost a close one to Fox.  

I don't believe that Jermaine Haley played in the game where they lost by 2 (Abbotsford Tournament).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 am

Jermaine played against VC but what has happened to Burnaby South?
They are one of the most talented teams easily.  Looked very competitive vs. Churchill in the Telus.  
I know they have had some injuries, but even with all their guys don't seem to be playing very well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
perfectgame

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:50 am

Pooch wrote:
Jermaine played against VC but what has happened to Burnaby South?
They are one of the most talented teams easily.  Looked very competitive vs. Churchill in the Telus.  
I know they have had some injuries, but even with all their guys don't seem to be playing very well.

Sorry - I've confirmed. Jermaine was at the VC game during the Abbotsford tournament but did not dress and did not play. He did play in the rest of the tournament games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Yup…I was remembering the VC vs South game at the Legal Beagle. I think South won by about 12-13. Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:25 am

JLivingston wrote:
I have been watching quietly few key games and tried to do a ranking. But unable to. I thought I would do a rather a generic ranking for the big dance. Many may dismiss this as too early.

Coming to big dance, here comes a shocker and many would consider this is an outrageous prediction and will dismiss in a second.

Who ever comes out of FV will be losing to Churchill this year. The banner goes to Vancouver this year.   Here is my reasoning, no teams have the muscle nor ability to shield the firing power of Churchill. There is lot of praise for WG defense but it is good for the regular season and that is it. There are abundance of coaching brains in BC and they will easily figure it out.  Minhas brothers and others will be raining all day. Guys who are deeply into the day to day results wont agree with me but take a step back and assess the strengths of each team which I did, to come up with Churchill.

Guys!!!!!!

Read the above my prediction who many would have thought crazy back then..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:39 am

Yeah but Tamanawis was clearly the best team in the tournament and got screwed.
Back to top Go down
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:32 am

Correction they were 3rd best and here's something Coach McKay can learn from Coach Lopez It's called humility.

Congratulations to Churchill. Well deserved. Went through some tough competition and our now reigning champs. Great job Coach Lopez.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:33 am

coach dean smith wrote:
Yeah but Tamanawis was clearly the best team in the tournament and got screwed.

No. However much tammy got screwed by that call on bains, they deserved what they got. They were a much bigger team settling for threes to the tune of 0 for 19 in the middle of the game. Had they gotten to the rim, they likely draw fouls and win
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:21 pm

The only negative aspect of this championship had to be the reffing. The talent in this province far exceeds the refs that are being thrown out for these games. I wish the refs would make far less calls and let the players decide the outcome. The refs always seem to make a call when they are clearly not seeing the play or anticipate making a call. Our south of the border refs never make a call unless they see it clearly and if you get hacked they just say sorry i missed it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 pm

baller2sk wrote:
The only negative aspect of this championship had to be the reffing. The talent in this province far exceeds the refs that are being thrown out for these games. I wish the refs would make far less calls and let the players decide the outcome. The refs always seem to make a call when they are clearly not seeing the play or anticipate making a call. Our south of the border refs never make a call unless they see it clearly and if you get hacked they just say sorry i missed it.

At the risk of taking away abit from a incredibly exciting and competitive tourney, I do think the reffing was more of an issue throughout this tourney compared to recent years.  I don't really know why this would be but do agree the quality and intensity of games may be a factor.  More players and coaches seemed to be concerned this year than recent years with perception of wildly different standards across games and more importantly within games.  At times the slightest contact on drives were called whereas big men (unless being covered by another equally big man) were getting absolutely mauled / hacked up down low with no calls.  I noted in a number of games in which certain specific officials who were well away from play were prone to consistently making calls over those who were in much better position to make call.  A few coaches commented about players getting into early foul trouble who had not been in foul trouble all year which significantly changed dynamics of game.  Inconsistent reffing will tend to reward teams with more depth and ability to adjust in-game to the way the game is being called.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
d4championships

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:28 pm

thank you, thank you it is refreshing to see finally people have the back bone to stand up and say something about the officials. I think one person said it best that the talent and the game is moving to fast for some of the officials and there is no one holding them accountable. Big men are getting mauled by smaller guards and some officials are responding when asked for a call "to get tougher". I don't think it's their place to ask kids to get tougher while smaller players are hanging off of them, it's their job to make the calls.
Just sayin  afro 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballfan1

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:02 pm

I agree that the level of reffing was not up to par this year. I didn't see a lot of familiar faces and it could be because the more qualified refs were in Squamish officiating the CCAA championships which were being held at Quest University.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Predictions for new top 10   Today at 11:01 am

Back to top Go down

Predictions for new top 10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2