HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
CISVA

PostSubject: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:32 am

I've been following this kid for a while ever since he dropped 30 points on us as a tenth grader at the varsity basketball level. Three years later, and I can honestly say he's a top five guard in British Columbia. Aldrich has been playing on the varsity team since grade nine and the only thing holding him back from D1 or even CIS status is the school he attends. Notre Dame Regional Secondary School is not necessarily a basketball school. The school excels at football, but the basketball program hasn't been on top of the provincial world since the mid 80s. With the reference of football, it would be a good time to mention that Aldrich was a provincial all-star in AAA football.
The intensity, athleticism, stength, quickness, and brains needed for immense success of the field translated well into his game on the court.

youtube.com /watch?v=Cog1i400WKA
Here's an exert of his junior year mix. Although it only consists of five or so games, one can easily see the elite caliber this player plays at. With that said, Aldrich has had the greatest improvement out of any player in British Columbia as far as I've seen, and I've seen a lot of players. First thing that pops to mind is the amazing display of shooting, and defense. As impresive as one may make it look to be, you must witness one of his games this season to see how amazing the six footer is. The only thing he's missing is an opportunity and a chance to make this possible.

To begin his senior campaign, he dropped forty-two points on AAAA honorable mention Delta on November 29th. Continuing the trend, he routinely drops thirty or more points. What's more impressive is the fact that he's a triple double machine. . I can not name a single guard in the province who is a better rebounder than Aldrich. Considering the length and size the province possess, this really speaks for itself. The aspect that I personally see in Aldrich that separates him over the rest is his court vision and ball-handling. After seeing his play multiple times, I could see that being a provincial all-star safety really had the same affect on the court. On the ball handling side, it just looks like it's natural talent.

Recently, Saint Thomas Aquinas knocked off the AAA #1 ranked (or former, they were #1 at the time) Mark Isfeld Ice. In the very next game they had to go up against the Notre Dame Jugglers. Nothing happened outside of the usual. The six foot guard dropped twenty-eight points with ten rebounds and four assists, with a few Kobe-esque shots to knock off STA in overtime, but it was a whole new story the next time they played STA one week later (at the Catholics).

The reason why I post this thread now is because of his recent play at the BC Catholics. To begin the Catholics, he had 18 points and 8 assists over the fifth A ranked Saint Patrick Celtics. With the victory here, they played the 13th best ranked team in the country in Holy Cross (as stated by North Pole Hoops). Playing against arguably the best guards in the province with Taylor Browne and  Jauquin Bennett Boire, both were taken out of the games completely. Taylor was held to under four points I believe. The SFU commit Jauquin had a few easy baskets in the first quarter, but when Aldrich had the duties to shut him down, he was out of it the rest of the game, registering no points the rest of the way. The small team from east Vancouver came out to play, and lost by a margin of sixteen points. It actually would've been a ball game but Holy Cross exploded in the second quarter capped off with a 9-0 run near the end of the quarter. Regardless, Mr. Berrios finished with 19 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 steals. Despite how dynamic his statistics were, it was an off-day for him and his standards, I would say. Today, in the third place game, Aldrich had statistics of 19 points and 13 rebounds over STA in an easy fifteen point victory over STA, again. After the tournament during the award ceremony, the man received the honors of all tournament first team, in addition to a $500 scholarship. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who witnessed this prestigious tournament and saw Aldrich explode on the scenes with exquisite fashion.

The team currently stands with a record of 12-6. This is outstanding considering that most of the players on his team play at junior type levels. The amount of character and leadership shown by Berrios on the court is definitely at a division one, or at least CIS level. I understand that he hasn't been at any showcases or anything, but I can say that his talent level is on par with those of Jadon Cohee, Jermaine Haley, Ethan Scott, and any other elite guard in the province. The only difference is that these players attend the likes of the top AAAA schools in the province, with a productive supporting cast to surround them. The man can literally play all five positions, demonstrating the best versatility in the province.

If you haven't been around to see this guy play, he is definitely worth watching. Notre Dame plays in some sort of Delta tournament this week and goes up against the second placed BC Catholics Saint Thomas Moore (#3 AAA), as well as a game with the 15th ranked Canadian high-school basketball team, Tamanawis (#2 AAAA). With reference to other coaches, Aldrich matched up fairly well with the lengthy leader of Tammy in Sukhjot Bains in a summer league game, and I expect nothing less this time around.

Aldrich Berrios is the truth and definitely the most underrated player in British Columbia, maybe even Canda itself. Berrios would definitely be a twenty point scorer on a AAAA team. If you have not seen the kid play, he is definitely worth watching. It's stunning to see him tear apart defense's with the spectacular run and gun game, and torture the offense with his amazing usage of the body, erasing passes and shots will taking it the length of the court for tow points of his own. This will not be the last time we hear from him either. If the small football school in Notre Dame can match up to the likes of the elite AAAA teams, I see an easy path to the AA championship, and Aldrich ending his senior year with a bang. Watch out and beware. If you think guys like Ethan Scott, Elijah Campbell-Axson, and Gary Minhas, Jaquin Bennett-Boire are good, then you'll think this guy is an NBA player. Also, Kudos to Jamie Boreham for developing this boy into the man he's become over a four year varsity basketball span.

Has anyone else seen this guy play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:04 pm

It is nice that you've profiled and brought attention to Berrios. You have intimate insight on his game. As you paint him as equal or better than most of the elite guards in the Province then I'm wondering why he hasn't been more highly considered or known. Here are my thoughts on the matter that if you're real talented to play at the next level then the coaches will find you especially at the CIS level if Aldrich does not play football. Many a CIS player has come from obscure programs or small areas. Given the coaching fraternity and networking and Berrios' abilities that you describe then I expect him to be heavily recruited. I don't see Hanson, Clarke, Allen etc letting a local gem slip under their grasp. It isn't about trying to rate him against other elite players it is you and his supporters contacting D1 and CIS coaches or forwarding game film to them to raise their awareness and potential recruitment of Aldrich. Good luck to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Aristotle wrote:
It is nice that you've profiled and brought attention to Berrios. You have intimate insight on his game. As you paint him as equal or better than most of the elite guards in the Province then I'm wondering why he hasn't been more highly considered or known. Here are my thoughts on the matter that if you're real talented to play at the next level then the coaches will find you especially at the CIS level if Aldrich does not play football. Many a CIS player has come from obscure programs or small areas. Given the coaching fraternity and networking and Berrios' abilities that you describe then I expect him to be heavily recruited. I don't see Hanson, Clarke, Allen etc letting a local gem slip under their grasp. It isn't about trying to rate him against other elite players it is you and his supporters contacting D1 and CIS coaches or forwarding game film to them to raise their awareness and potential recruitment of Aldrich. Good luck to him.    

I wouldn't necessarily say I brought attention to him. He brought attention to himself and I'll be the one to publicize that.

On your point of lack of his name, it all goes back to the school. Aldrich Berrios puts the team on his back day by day, week by week, month by month, season by season. His team literally consists of junior type players, and that would be an understatement. The whole Holy Cross gang has elite type players surrounding each other. Ethan has Mark Jacobs. Jermaine has Tyus and Trinic. Aldrich literally has nobody. Being on a AA team doesn't serve much justice either. If you don't believe me on the words I speak, I highly suggest you pay a visit to Delta Secondary on Friday and watch the next Notre Dame game against McMath, and on Saturday you'll be able to see Aldrich vs. Bains. Coming from a small east Vancouver school like, Aldrich does not have many supporters besides the school itself, and that doesn't do much unless its on the football field. Notre Dame is a football school and always will be. I don't want to knock the school itself but if Aldrich went to any other school in AAAA or AAA, he would be known as a superstar, without question. This is the start to raise awareness, and I appreciate the sharing of your tactics, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:42 pm

"Aldrich Berrios is the truth and definitely the most underrated player in British Columbia, maybe even Canda itself"

"Over the top" and blatantly biased posts tend to reduce credibility.  Prank?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:45 pm

PressThis wrote:
"Aldrich Berrios is the truth and definitely the most underrated player in British Columbia, maybe even Canda itself"

No. I wouldn't write paragraphs on paragraphs on someone like this. I've watched and witnessed Aldrich long enough to see his talents and his ability to take over games. If you have any concerns over any claims I made, you can come by and watch the man himself. He is definitely not a 'joke', and can surely compete with the best this province has to offer.

EDTIT: I never once claimed that he was the best in British Columbia, I'm just implying he's substantially underrated and on par with certain talents. If you had seen him competing with the Holy Cross guards two days ago, we would be on the same page.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Never said I didn't believe you, but regardless of the level he plays at and the quality of his team if he is an elite player with the ability to play at the next level then refer him to CIS/Div 1 programs. He wouldn't be the first player to make it to the CIS from AA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Aristotle wrote:
Never said I didn't believe you, but regardless of the level he plays at and the quality of his team if he is an elite player with the ability to play at the next level then refer him to CIS/Div 1 programs. He wouldn't be the first player to make it to the CIS from AA.  

I suggest you come to the Delta tournament this Friday and check him out for yourself. He should open some eyes after the Tammy game. Regardless, thank you for your input, it'll certainly be taken into account as the year progresses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:45 pm

CISVA wrote:
PressThis wrote:

No. I wouldn't write paragraphs on paragraphs on someone like this. I've watched and witnessed Aldrich long enough to see his talents and his ability to take over games. If you have any concerns over any claims I made, you can come by and watch the man himself. He is definitely not a 'joke', and can surely compete with the best this province has to offer.

EDTIT: I never once claimed that he was the best in British Columbia, I'm just implying he's substantially underrated and on par with certain talents. If you had seen him competing with the Holy Cross guards two days ago, we would be on the same page.

Well...you actually were making that claim as per your quote "If you think guys like Ethan Scott, Elijah Campbell-Axson, and Gary Minhas, Jaquin Bennett-Boire are good, then you'll think this guy is an NBA player".

It's been fun. Over and out on this thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:50 pm

PressThis wrote:

Well...you actually were making that claim as per your quote "If you think guys like Ethan Scott, Elijah Campbell-Axson, and Gary Minhas, Jaquin Bennett-Boire are good, then you'll think this guy is an NBA player".  

It's been fun.  Over and out on this thread.

I'm not trying to imply anything of those likes, but Aldrich is definitely on par with the likes of those players. He'll be guarding then in 1v1 matchups throughout the season as they are all independent schools (excluding Churchill). He's already bested out Bennett-Boire.

You aren't giving him a fair shot. Don't use word of mouth if you don't want to, but watch a game or two and you'll see what I see in this guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:10 pm

CISVA wrote:
I've been following this kid for a while ever since he dropped 30 points on us as a tenth grader at the varsity basketball level. Three years later, and I can honestly say he's a top five guard in British Columbia. Aldrich has been playing on the varsity team since grade nine and the only thing holding him back from D1 or even CIS status is the school he attends. Notre Dame Regional Secondary School is not necessarily a basketball school. The school excels at football, but the basketball program hasn't been on top of the provincial world since the mid 80s.

You're quick to hack down Notre Dame and their program... maybe in your mind he'll get missed because he does not play in an elite program... but I can tell you for sure... that won't happen.

When is the last time ANY quality player got missed? With email... youtube... videos... phone calls... players don`t get missed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:

You're quick to hack down Notre Dame and their program... maybe in your mind he'll get missed because he does not play in an elite program... but I can tell you for sure... that won't happen.

When is the last time ANY quality player got missed? With email... youtube... videos... phone calls... players don`t get missed.

Notre Dame has a fairly good program. But the fact of the matter is, this is a football school. Half the players on the team are football players. It serves well with physicality, but they aren't natural basketball players. I sincerely hope Aldrich does not get missed, but if he does, I would say its because of the schools culture. Playing in AA doesn't help the cause much either.

Have you seen AB play or have any relation to him, or the Notre Dame program?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 pm

CISVA wrote:

Playing in AA doesn't help the cause much either.

Now you're hacking on 2A?
Back to top Go down
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:54 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
CISVA wrote:

Playing in AA doesn't help the cause much either.

Now you're hacking on 2A?
Mr. Sportsvictoria, no disrespect to you or anyone else. I've been following AA more than the others but lets be honest here. AAAA and AAA get far more exposure on the provincial scale over AA, that's all I'm trying to say. I don't believe it's fair at all, but that's just how it works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JrCoachS

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:47 am

He can't be any good, @Drivebasketball hasn't tweeted about him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:28 am

great insight on the kid JrCoachS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:06 am

JrCoachS wrote:
He can't be any good, @Drivebasketball hasn't tweeted about him.

I understand the argument that you're making. Drive produces the best players in the province. I understand that. Aldrich has nor tried out for DRIVE thus not being on the team. There are cases however, where Drive has no influence over a player and his game. Let's throw a few bigger names in there. Steve Nash and Robert Sacre played Basketball BC, not Drive, and I'd say their careers shaped up very nicely. I understand that you may not value my opinion too highly, but @JesusShuttlesworth has been watching Aldrich play as much as I have, he can add a testimony to this as well. Back to the argument though, let's compare a few current Drive players to Aldrich. Most recently, as in 2 days ago, Notre Dame went up against Holy Cross. Drive elite's Taylor Browne and Jaquin Bennett-Boire both had shots against Aldrich. Taylor finished the game with under 4 points and seemed out of rythtm and Bennett-Boire had a Bennett type first quarter, but as the quarter ended, he was locked down the rest of the way. Don't get me wrong, I believe Taylor and Bennett-Boire are both premier players for the province and will represent British Columbia and Canada for many years to come, but Drive isn't the entire argument, there are more pieces to the puzzle. If you may, I can offer you a Notre Dame schedule if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:11 am

I saw Notre Dame vs Holy Cross and I wouldn't go as far to say Berrios stopped Browne and JBB from scoring, the HC guards take what the defense gives them, they can both score when needed which wasn't the case as the mismatch was in the front court and the guards looked to the bigs to be the primary scorers vs ND. But aside from that, the Berrios kid can certainly play, saw him at this years and last years Catholic Championships, and some during last summer while he was playing with the Van City AAU team. He has high end skill, strong, plays with confidence, can get to basket and finish in trafic with a variety of moves, has a solid jumper, with range upto to the 3 pt line. Berrios is a scorer, who can get buckets in many ways, able to knock down open spot up shots or get his own basket by breaking defenders down off the dribble. I've seen a team box+1 the kid and he went off for close to 20 in a qtr. He is definitely a CCAA/CIS prospect who should get solid looks from college coaches, Notre Dame vs Tamanawis should be interesting to see if Berrios can get off vs. a top team who will surely game plan defensively to stop him. Everytime I see Berrios play I always come away impressed a hard worker with quiet confidence on the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:20 am

I have said this many times before and I will continue to say it: If you can play you will be noticed. I am sick and tired of people claiming that kids who play at small or supposed non-top level teams do not get a look. This is simply not true and there are numerous examples of this. I also find it humorous how much coaches and others feel the need to 'hype' players on twitter and other social media. We are actually doing a tremendous disservice to players with this constant hype machine. I could probably post hundreds of examples of people who talk about all of these D1 offers kids are supposedly getting yet they never seem to develop in to anything. Do people not understand that we are lucky in BC if 2 or 3 kids in an entire year get a D1 offer and more than 50% of the time if they do get an offer they end up coming back home. I am not trying to be negative but these are the facts. Aldrich can play there is no question about it I have seen him play and have coached him before but he, like almost every other player in BC, is not very likely going to play D1. There are approximately 2,000 grade 12's a year playing sr boys basketball in BC with an average of less than 2 going D1 a year that means the chances of a kid going D1 are about 0.1%. I have seen kids who have been promised by adults who claim they will get them to a D1 school and these kids end up washed out after a few years completely disillusioned. We need to teach our athletes to set high goals and do everything they can to try and achieve them but we have to be realistic with these players and sadly many are not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:51 am

ebe wrote:
I have said this many times before and I will continue to say it: If you can play you will be noticed. I am sick and tired of people claiming that kids who play at small or supposed non-top level teams do not get a look. This is simply not true and there are numerous examples of this. I also find it humorous how much coaches and others feel the need to 'hype' players on twitter and other social media. We are actually doing a tremendous disservice to players with this constant hype machine. I could probably post hundreds of examples of people who talk about all of these D1 offers kids are supposedly getting yet they never seem to develop in to anything. Do people not understand that we are lucky in BC if 2 or 3 kids in an entire year get a D1 offer and more than 50% of the time if they do get an offer they end up coming back home. I am not trying to be negative but these are the facts. Aldrich can play there is no question about it I have seen him play and have coached him before but he, like almost every other player in BC, is not very likely going to play D1. There are approximately 2,000 grade 12's a year playing sr boys basketball in BC with an average of less than 2 going D1 a year that means the chances of a kid going D1 are about 0.1%. I have seen kids who have been promised by adults who claim they will get them to a D1 school and these kids end up washed out after a few years completely disillusioned. We need to teach our athletes to set high goals and do everything they can to try and achieve them but we have to be realistic with these players and sadly many are not.

This is an unfortunate truth.

There are a lot of people out there that are praying on kids' desire to get the D1 deal and thus are promising them the world to get them into their programs.

I have noticed that there are some club programs (where the kids are paying big money) that are the worst offenders here. With that being said, there are some school programs shouldn't be overlooked either.

Kids and their parents are promised the world (chance to get D1 offers). Some of the kids end up going south and most end up sitting on the bench for a year or two getting almost no playing time and as a result not developing. Then they come back and end up as nothing as the kids that were below them in high school have been playing all the way along and have gone way past them. These kids often ending up as busts - first south of the boarder... then north of it.

Do the programs care they've sold these kids snake oil? No... they get to claim that they made these kids into D1 players... and brag about it to future recruits, and their parent's cheque books, to keep the cycle going.
Back to top Go down
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 am

ebe wrote:

Aldrich has been competing at this level for years and hasn't gotten the exposure he deserves. Teams that play him and teams that have heard about him are the only exposure he receives outside of the school itself. I understand where you're coming from but regardless, if you actually have coached Aldrich, you know what level he stands at. I didn't intent to hype him, but its been four years on the varsity stage and he's gotten no exposure at all. With five to seven weeks left in his high-school basketball career, he's taking it to a whole new level, and he definitely deserves some eyes looking at him for that. On the whole D1 thing, yes I made a claim that should not have been there, but you understand what I'm saying, he can compete at a very very high level, D1 may be a reach but why not? CIS seems a little more realistic, and I believe he can excel against Canada's finest. As stated several times, all he needs is a chance; an opportunity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:14 am

Coaches are aware of him trust me I am the head coach for Langara College and I know who he is as do many of my colleagues. You have to understand that it is really about finding the right fit and schools will be looking for different types of players depending on what their needs are. I have passed on many top players in the past because I had an overubandance of players at that position.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JK

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:39 am

CISVA I think its great that you're bringing attention to the ability of Aldrich Berrios. I haven't seen him play but who says he can't play Div 1? There's no need to say that he's better than other top guards in the province but he should get a chance just like anybody else who has the talent. We should make comparisons to kids in Seattle if anything. As of January 4th there are at least 24 Washington high school basketball players that are committed to or have offers from D1 schools(Seattle Times Player Rankings). Why should the same not be true for BC? Rainier Beach has set a standard for themselves to be the best team in the nation this year and are already top 5 and undefeated. This is an incredible accomplishment from a team less than 3 hours away. Why can't guys like Aldrich Berrios determine what he needs to do to get to D1 and get there? There are likely just as many kids from American states that head to a D1 school and end up sitting or coming home afterwards as there are from BC. Imagine if Steve Nash listened to all the people telling him that no 6'2 point guard from Victoria could play Div 1? Playing College/University ball locally is also a great opportunity but if a kid has the dream to play D1 why not encourage them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 am

ebe wrote:
Coaches are aware of him trust me I am the head coach for Langara College and I know who he is as do many of my colleagues. You have to understand that it is really about finding the right fit and schools will be looking for different types of players depending on what their needs are. I have passed on many top players in the past because I had an overubandance of players at that position.
That's a continuing trend I've noticed over the people I've approached. People will look at Berrios and watch him but nobody seems to acknowledge him. He's a matchup nightmare from all over the floor as given from testimonies from myself and other credible users. From a coaching standpoint on post secondary, I understand where you're coming from but I think were missing a piece of the puzzle when little or no schools come up to him considering his talents, thus leading to this topic. I'm not demanding for him to go to Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, or Kansas. I'm just looking for a little exposure towards Berrios and what he does on the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:46 pm

JK wrote:
CISVA We should make comparisons to kids in Seattle if anything.  As of January 4th there are at least 24 Washington high school basketball players that are committed to or have offers from D1 schools(Seattle Times Player Rankings).  Why should the same not be true for BC?
To begin with Washington Sate has a population about twice the size as BC. Washington State spends millions of dollars on their athletic programs and they have a significant number more top level athletes than we have in BC. It is simply not a realistic comparison
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:56 pm

JK wrote:
 Imagine if Steve Nash listened to all the people telling him that no 6'2 point guard from Victoria could play Div 1?  Playing College/University ball locally is also a great opportunity but if a kid has the dream to play D1 why not encourage them?  
There is nothing wrong with encouraging players to pursue their dream but you must also be realistic at the same time. The numbers don't lie we simply do not have very many players in this province who are capable of playing at that level. By the way Steve Nash was one of the most highly recruited players across Canada but he recieved very little interest from the States. He received a D1 offer from Santa Clara and he took it which was a good decision for him. He had the necessary talent, athleticism, and ability to play at that level and he made the most of it, very few players in BC are at that level when they graduate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Today at 9:04 am

Back to top Go down

Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next