HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JK

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:44 pm

ebe wrote:
JK wrote:
CISVA We should make comparisons to kids in Seattle if anything.  As of January 4th there are at least 24 Washington high school basketball players that are committed to or have offers from D1 schools(Seattle Times Player Rankings).  Why should the same not be true for BC?
To begin with Washington Sate has a population about twice the size as BC. Washington State spends millions of dollars on their athletic programs and they have a significant number more top level athletes than we have in BC. It is simply not a realistic comparison

Washington Population approximately 6.9M
BC Population approximately 4.5M

New York State Population 19.6M
Ontario Population 12.8M

These are almost the exact same differentials and everything I read online Ontario is talking about how they're producing more bball prospects than NY. I'm sure that the BC minor hockey association doesn't agree that Washington have more top level athletes than BC. We have great facilities and coaches locally and I'm sure that in the future we won't limit ourselves. The elementary programs that have formed competitive leagues with Washington are a great start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karnsharda12

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Mr.Sport Victoria

This is a very new one can you please enlighten us on which kids from BC have gone D1 in the states and have come back to not play well at the CIS level. Just a couple examples as i could name guys who have came back to do outstanding off the top of my head.

"Kids and their parents are promised the world (chance to get D1 offers). Some of the kids end up going south and most end up sitting on the bench for a year or two getting almost no playing time and as a result not developing. Then they come back and end up as nothing as the kids that were below them in high school have been playing all the way along and have gone way past them. These kids often ending up as busts - first south of the boarder... then north of it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:03 pm

karnsharda12 wrote:
Mr.Sport Victoria

This is a very new one can you please enlighten us on which kids from BC have gone D1 in the states and have come back to not play well at the CIS level. Just a couple examples as i could name guys who have came back to do outstanding off the top of my head.

"Kids and their parents are promised the world (chance to get D1 offers). Some of the kids end up going south and most end up sitting on the bench for a year or two getting almost no playing time and as a result not developing. Then they come back and end up as nothing as the kids that were below them in high school have been playing all the way along and have gone way past them. These kids often ending up as busts - first south of the boarder... then north of it."

I think it was pretty obvious that I WASN'T going to name names of players or programs they way the piece was written.

Coach Ebe was nail on the head that a realistic approach is more beneficial for players and to the game itself.

JK - go down to Seattle and watch Rainier Beach, Mercer Island, Garfield... watch those teams play and see the level and athletic ability those kids have. It will blow your mind how good they are. As far as the Ontario fluff piece but them producing more than NY... it's purely fiction and has no basis in reality. If I wrote a piece like that about how California was producing more hockey talent than all of Canada - you'd disregard it in an instant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Regarding Ebe, Sportsvictoria, JrCoachS, karnsharda12, and anyone else who was intrigued by this topic, I'm sure you've seen the recent Bill Kushnir Memorial Tournament schedule where Notre Dame has a high percentage chance to play Tamanawis and Saint Thomas Moore. If the tournament has a few unlikely outcomes we may even see Churchill playing Notre Dame. Nonetheless, this is four days of basketball where Aldrich Berrios will play against British Columbia's finest. Any and all doubters of Berrios and his game are invited to come watch the kid play, I'd say there's a small chance of disappointment.

Also, I don't have any idea how the Division One debate debate came into play. I may have worded it oddly implying that Aldrich was a surefire player but my intentions remained with saying that he can play at an immensely high level, and is able to compete with the best of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:41 pm

I've been following this kid for a while ever since he dropped 30 points on us as a tenth grader at the varsity basketball level. Three years later, and I can honestly say he's a top five guard in British Columbia. Aldrich has been playing on the varsity team since grade nine and the only thing holding him back from D1 or even CIS status is the school he attends. Notre Dame Regional Secondary School is not necessarily a basketball school. The school excels at football, but the basketball program hasn't been on top of the provincial world since the mid 80s. With the reference of football, it would be a good time to mention that Aldrich was a provincial all-star in AAA football.

This is in response to your earlier reply, I had no discussion/interest regarding D1. It's clear you have had an agenda with your prospect player and gel the need to push the issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:03 pm

sunnyok wrote:
I've been following this kid for a while ever since he dropped 30 points on us as a tenth grader at the varsity basketball level. Three years later, and I can honestly say he's a top five guard in British Columbia. Aldrich has been playing on the varsity team since grade nine and the only thing holding him back from D1 or even CIS status is the school he attends. Notre Dame Regional Secondary School is not necessarily a basketball school. The school excels at football, but the basketball program hasn't been on top of the provincial world since the mid 80s. With the reference of football, it would be a good time to mention that Aldrich was a provincial all-star in AAA football.

This is in response to your earlier reply,  I had no discussion/interest regarding D1. It's clear you have had an agenda with your prospect player and gel the need to push the issue.  

It's more of a fan/prospect relationship. I'm really just giving dividends where its due; just attempting to get someones name heard who I feel deserves it.. It's been a lengthy period with Aldrich's name being buried alive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 am

CISVA wrote:
Playing in AA doesn't help the cause much either.

Didn't seem to hurt Alex Hart who played "A" yet still managed to get a D1 scholarship?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:31 am

CISVA wrote:
Aldrich has been playing on the varsity team since grade nine and the only thing holding him back from D1 or even CIS status is the school he attends........

Also, I don't have any idea how the Division One debate debate came into play.

How can you have no idea how the D1 discussion began because you were the one who started it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:14 am

CISVA wrote:
Also, I don't have any idea how the Division One debate debate came into play.

You did:

CISVA wrote:
The amount of character and leadership shown by Berrios on the court is definitely at a division one, or at least CIS level. I understand that he hasn't been at any showcases or anything, but I can say that his talent level is on par with those of Jadon Cohee, Jermaine Haley, Ethan Scott, and any other elite guard in the province.

Aldrich Berrios is the truth and definitely the most underrated player in British Columbia, maybe even Canda itself.

Aldrich may or may not be very good. I have never seen him play, but to claim he is "definitely the most underrated player in British Columbia" is extremely hyperbolic. Have you seen the team from Haida Gwaii? Apparently they have two guys who can absolutely ball, one played Team BC as far as I have heard, but the other didn't. I'd say they are also pretty underrated, or at least overlooked if the words we are hearing on them are true. I myself posted about a grade 11 player named Neal Randhawa from Golden who played for Calgary's CYDC Elite team last summer, but is by far the best SF I have seen play thus far this year. Player with major talent who the rest of BC might not know about. Also, some good players in the Interior and up North who others may not know about. This claim you made is very bold.

ebe wrote:
Didn't seem to hurt Alex Hart who played "A" yet still managed to get a D1 scholarship?

I think this is more so because he played provincial team, and the size of his school didn't really factor too much into it. But I agree with your main point that players at smaller schools will get noticed if they are good; however, it is sometimes tougher for players at smaller schools in places that aren't the Lower Mainland or VI (EDIT: unless they play prov team or high-level club team) to get noticed. It's getting better with twitter and youtube and webcasts, but it could be better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:53 am

ebe wrote:
CISVA wrote:
Playing in AA doesn't help the cause much either.

You're completely disregarding the point. It's plain fact A and AA are overshadowed by AAA and AAAA. Making a claim against this is like saying Euroleague's exposure is on par to the NBA world-wide. With that said, it doesn't mean that A and AA players do not have solid basketball players who can definitely play in AAA or AAAA. Euroleague definitely has players that can play at a high level in the NBA.

Alex Hart was a 6'11 physical presence. When one sees or hears of a 6'11 Centre, it would get some initial looks just for that. Aldrich doesn't have that physical gift. Why are you so stagnant and constantly low balling Aldrich and his game? I said it numerous times that D1's a reach, and went back to what I've said saying that I intended to say he can play at a very high level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:54 pm

\"CISVA wrote:
Why are you so stagnant and constantly low balling Aldrich and his game?

CISVA I like your passion but you have contradicted yourself on numerous occasions in your posts and I was simply trying to point out a few things that you may not be aware of. However I have NEVER "low balled" Aldrich's game and for you to suggest this is once again completely false. I was dealing with much larger issues surrounding this topic, it is too bad that you have not been able to see this. Maybe we should start a new thread to talk about these important issues and you can just use this thread to talk about Aldrich.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:59 pm

ebe wrote:
\"CISVA wrote:
Why are you so stagnant and constantly low balling Aldrich and his game?

CISVA I like your passion but you have contradicted yourself on numerous occasions in your posts and I was simply trying to point out a few things that you may not be aware of. However I have NEVER "low balled" Aldrich's game and for you to suggest this is once again completely false. I was dealing with much larger issues surrounding this topic, it is too bad that you have not been able to see this. Maybe we should start a new thread to talk about these important issues and you can just use this thread to talk about Aldrich.

I'm fully aware of how the transition between secondary schools to division one and CIS works, as well as the probability ratios of this happening. I also acknowledge what you were attempting to say, but it was blatantly off-topic. Just out of curiosity, will you be attending any if Aldrich's recent games, you may be a little surprised with what you see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fullcourtpress21

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 pm

I think this topic is absurd. Aldrich is definitely a skilled player, but he is not underrated. I've seen a few games of his in the 2011-2012, 2012/2013 seasons. I can see his potential but he's definitely not CIS or D1 material. He's an OUTSTANDING shooter, a top shooter in BC for sure. But his defensive presence lacks tremendously. They had a fairly decent team last year and I had seen a few games in their AA lower mainlands. I was really impressed on how coach boreham orchestrated that team. I believe they were knocked off by the KG dragons on a deciding game to provincials. There are numerous players who play at the AA & A. There are a number of players from Palmer, which is a AA school, that went on to play post secondary such as Jamie madewan, Vijay dhillon etc . Other A/AA players include Alex Hart, Colby Meier, Jordan Charles, Ryan Lintell, Andrew Morris and a number of others. So it is not where you're from like coach ebe said. But back to his defensive prowess. I can point out three games(two of which were 50+ point games)and three top players who lit Aldrich up. I had heard about two of these games, while I was at one. First being George Mija who poured in 35 on Aldrich at the AA lower mainlands. Second being a game against David Thompson where Kanwar Grewal had a 45+ game on Aldrich. Lastly, the game I witnessed, the lower mainland finals against the Palmer griffins where Jamie Madewan had 50 point performance. Mind you, these three were top players AND a year older but it shouldn't matter to someone with CIS or D1 potential. I'm not trying to attack Aldrich nor do I think he is a bad player. I just don't think he's a D1 or CIS player. To re-quote coach Ebe, it's not where you're from. If you can okay, people are going to take notice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 am

Fullcourtpress21 wrote:
I think this topic is absurd. Aldrich is definitely a skilled player, but he is not underrated. I've seen a few games of his in the 2011-2012, 2012/2013 seasons. I can see his potential but he's definitely not CIS or D1 material. He's an OUTSTANDING shooter, a top shooter in BC for sure. But his defensive presence lacks tremendously. They had a fairly decent team last year and I had seen a few games in their AA lower mainlands. I was really impressed on how coach boreham orchestrated that team. I believe they were knocked off by the KG dragons on a deciding game to provincials. There are numerous players who play at the AA & A. There are a number of players from Palmer, which is a AA school, that went on to play post secondary such as Jamie madewan, Vijay dhillon etc . Other A/AA players include Alex Hart, Colby Meier, Jordan Charles, Ryan Lintell, Andrew Morris and a number of others. So it is not where you're from like coach ebe said. But back to his defensive prowess. I can point out three games(two of which were 50+ point games)and three top players who lit Aldrich up. I had heard about two of these games, while I was at one. First being George Mija who poured in 35 on Al at the AA lower mainlands. Second being a game against David Thompson where Kanwar Grewal had a 45+ game on Al. Lastly, the game I witnessed, the lower mainland finals against the Palmer griffins where Jamie Madewan had 50 point performance. Mind you, these three were top players AND a year older but it shouldn't matter to someone with CIS or D1 potential. I'm not trying to attack Aldrich nor do I think he is a bad player. I just don't think he's a D1 or CIS player. To re-quote coach ebe, it's not where you're from. If you can okay, people are going to take notice.
How would you claim him to be rated then? If any player in the province is getting twenty points a game on a regular basis with eight to ten rebounds, added with six-seven assists, I would expect some attention, but I would say this is the only exposure Aldrich has received in his career span, this one topic. His shooting ability isn't his entire offensive arsenal. Aldrich didn't even shoot the most shots on the team last year, his control on the team was limited. Notre Dame had Mike Aranzaso last year. I'd say he took 25 shots a game. At point guard the Jugglers had Khyn Sarmiento. Aldrich wasn't even handling the ball. He was forced to take those shots because those were the majority of the looks that they were getting, and he capitalized on all of those opportunities. On the other side of the floor, the defensive side, Aldrich knew he had his work cut out for him. He dominated against those small school match-ups but playing in the more meaningful games, he was out-sized by a good four inches game by game. He and I, as well as many others are aware of that. He spent the entire summer strengthening his legs and working on lateral quickness. It's a visible physical attribute too, it takes seconds to see that added vertical, if you care to watch a game this season, it can be proven too. Aldrich can definitely hold his ground in the post, get in the passing lanes, and turn those into two points with ease at this stage. I'll mind you too, I saw the match-ups you claimed to see. George Mija did have around twenty-five points, but that was in a zone defense, Aldrich cannot be held responsible for all those miscues. You're overreacting on the Kanwar statement a lot. He had nowhere near that amount. I'll give you the Jamie Madewan one, great players have great nights, it's how basketball works. With that said, this season, on an individual perspective is much much different than last season for Aldrich. He demands the ball this year. He has full authority over the offensive and defensive schemes. If you watched him play now compared to last season, I'm sure you would be a little astonished too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just a fan

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:47 am

No disrespect, but this topic has played on way too long. Folks, maybe we can just move on with life.
We are very fortunate to witness a wonderful batch of talent right now all over the province. So let's continue to enjoy it and appreciate these fine young athletes who put so much into the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:59 am

Just a fan wrote:
No disrespect, but this topic has played on way too long.  Folks, maybe we can just move on with life.  
We are very fortunate to witness a wonderful batch of talent right now all over the province.  So let's continue to enjoy it and appreciate these fine young athletes who put so much into the game.
It's just begun. If you don't want to be associated with this topic, it wasn't necessary to post in it. I've said it several times, it's time to give recognition where it's due, and I'm glad a few others who posted in here feel the same way, the others just need a few more time to be proven wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Holes   Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Holes are a strange thing. When you're digging one, you keep trying to throw the dirt out but eventually the dirt starts falling in on you so the more you dig your hole the more you're throwing dirt in on yourself.
Back to top Go down
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:28 pm

I think that it is time that the "HoopLife" Forum officially be re-named the "Aldrich Berrios" forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 pm

Didn't see the game but looks like Berrios and his Notre Dame team just lost to McMath at the Bill Kushnir Tournament, so looks like we won't get to see Aldrich Berrios match up with Sukh Bains and his Tamanawis Wildcats and Mindy Minhas and his Churchill Bulldogs. Too bad, the hype the kids got on this thread was arguably Wigginsesque, haha, no offence to the kid as I think he's a tremendous talent but the overt hype is probably a disservice to him as expectations for someone who sees this thread are for him to go off for 50 everytime he hits the court with the amount of hyperbole being thrown around.

That's it just had to have my final say on the topic, love the passion CISVA is showing and appreciate his views but I will no longer be viewing or replying to this thread. Thanks and everyone else has fun on this 'BerriosLife' thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Didn't see the game but looks like Berrios and his Notre Dame team just lost to McMath at the Bill Kushnir Tournament, so looks like we won't get to see Aldrich Berrios match up with Sukh Bains and his Tamanawis Wildcats and Mindy Minhas and his Churchill Bulldogs. Too bad, the hype the kids got on this thread was arguably Wigginsesque, haha, no offence to the kid as I think he's a tremendous talent but the overt hype is probably a disservice to him as expectations for someone who sees this thread are for him to go off for 50 everytime he hits the court with the amount of hyperbole being thrown around.

That's it just had to have my final say on the topic, love the passion CISVA is showing and appreciate his views but I will no longer be viewing or replying to this thread. Thanks and everyone else has fun on this 'BerriosLife' thread.

Don't take anything way from the fact that McMath is no pushover.
Back to top Go down
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
Holes are a strange thing.  When you're digging one, you keep trying to throw the dirt out but eventually the dirt starts falling in on you so the more you dig your hole the more you're throwing dirt in on yourself.
I don't consider it digging a hole when the guy constantly backs up everything I say with his play on the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 am

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

Sad to see that matchup come and go, but you can't put that one on Aldrich. When a guy gets 29 and 10 in a losing effort in varsity basketball, there's definitely something there that isn't clicking. Believe me and quote me on this one too, the hype is just beginning. After the game, a man came up to coach Boreham,I was told that he was apart of the opposing team but I can't be sure. I heard that he asked why Aldrich doesn't play for the provincial team or DRIVE basketball. It speaks volume for itself, stay tuned Mr. Shuttlesworth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:35 am

CISVA wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
Holes are a strange thing.  When you're digging one, you keep trying to throw the dirt out but eventually the dirt starts falling in on you so the more you dig your hole the more you're throwing dirt in on yourself.
I don't consider it digging a hole when the guy constantly backs up everything I say with his play on the court.

CISVA - you need to stop while you're behind. You are not helping your cause.
Back to top Go down
CISVA

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 am

Sportvictoria wrote:

CISVA - you need to stop while you're behind.  You are not helping your cause.

My cause was to help get exposure to a guy who deserved it. That's happened up to this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JK

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:33 am

CISVA wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:

CISVA - you need to stop while you're behind.  You are not helping your cause.

My cause was to help get exposure to a guy who deserved it. That's happened up to this point.

Touche, well said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia   Today at 1:12 pm

Back to top Go down

Aldrich Berrios: Most Underrated Player In British Columbia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next