HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

here's a topic for u.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
trojan8

PostSubject: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Today in Hartland. Suddenly this great GM team, lost by 20+ points to a average CHS boys team. Was it that CHS played the best game of season. Or did GM just loss to dodge another strong team, hoping for a easier path to Harbor station. All I'm saying that when this stuff happens, what is it teaching the player's on that team. And the player's on the other team that is playing hard. And is the only one on the floor doing it. I guess, good luck to GM, hope your plan works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Froglaker

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Wow! This is certainly not a new topic.

It teaches your kids that in sectional qualifying it matters where you place.
The procedure is very well known: 1. Win your first game. 2. Figure out the best path to the final. 3. Work hard to stay on the right path.

Congratulations to all the teams still left. (go Lakers!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:52 pm

Canterbury girls pulled the exact same trick today against the GM girls. A clear thrown game. We've talked about this on here for years. Faulty system but nobody that matters seems to want to fix it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pg7

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Tanking isn't just for NBA teams apparently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Solution   Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Simple fix. Allow the winner of the 3/4 game to decide where they want to go. Completely solves the problem and rewards the team that chooses to be honest to the game.

Problem is the NBIAA is run by a group of people who don't seem to give a crap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah that would be such a simple fix but the powers that be obviously don't give a sh%t. It really is a shame that coaches and teams pull this crap. I mean if you truly are that scared of a team what are the odds of you beating them a couple weeks later. Oh well maybe for teams like that its all about second place. Hopefully there is such a thing as karma and hopefully it is a b*&CH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:36 pm

On another note why did the NBIAA put in JV. wouldn't it make for more competitive leagues and allow more people to compete for the final 12 under the old system where if you were a AAA school you could also have an AA team and A team. AA schools could have a AA and A team. To me this would be much more beneficial to all of basketball in New Brunswick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:43 pm

We could "fix" the system and still we would have some coaching genius  who would find a way to "NOT PLAY FAIR"  What are we trying to teach our young players, How to "prepare to compete, fairly and honestly" or how to work the system.  I really do not believe coaches at a high school level, would actually set out to throw a game, unless of course some are making their living based upon whether they make Harbour Station or not. Last I checked the refs were the only ones making money at these events.
Maybe  we need to help these coaches, whose ethics we are questioning, in how to better prepare their team.

Further to this why punish the higher seeds by letting a 3rd place team decide where they go.  If we really want to be fir let let the 1st place team decide who they want to play, after all they did win the regional.

Last edited by pastprimetime on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:48 pm

pastprimetime wrote:
We could "fix" the system and still we would have some coaching genius  who would find a way to "NOT PLAY FAIR"  What are we trying to teach our young players, How to "prepare to compete, fairly and honestly" or how to work the system.  I really do not believe coaches at a high school level, would actually set out to throw a game, unless of course some are making their living based upon whether they make Harbour Station or not. Last I checked the refs were the only ones making money at these events.
Maybe  we need to help these coaches, whose ethics we are questioning, in how to better prepare their team.

I agree primetime. The thing is for many teams who rarely have a chance at final 12 a coach will do anything to give his team that opportunity, and is that wrong??? So as I said before let the winner of the 3/4 game decide where they want to go for sectional. This is rewarding the team that is true to the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Froglaker

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Some emotion over this practice. Should Canterbury be upset that they won?. I suppose they started the game hoping to win and in the end they did win. GM started the season hoping to go Harbor Station and they are still on that road. What is the possible harm and to who? GM still needs to beat Harvey, the best team in the South. GM lead Hartland most of the semi-final game. Bottom line is teams still need to win next weekend to advance. Btw. Go Harvey!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:15 pm

The harm is throwing games lack integrity and makes the sport look tainted. It is not what student athletics should be about. Sure getting to Harbour Station is tough, but there is a right way to do things and a wrong way. Just to clarify I'm not accusing anyone in particular just stating that practice is wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:16 pm

The harm is throwing games lack integrity and makes the sport look tainted. It is not what student athletics should be about. Sure getting to Harbour Station is tough, but there is a right way to do things and a wrong way. Just to clarify I'm not accusing anyone in particular just stating that practice is wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Froglaker

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:22 pm

Interesting perspectives. I'm not sure any teams have deliberately lost a game either. I just enjoy the sport and remain a fan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dug Sea

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:24 pm

If three weeks ago, you were told that Harvey and GM boys were in a tournament which would decide who got to play the winner of the tournament that Hartland was in, and, likewise CHS and Cal. girls were on the opposite side of the draw from Grand Falls, most would of said, perfect, the system is working.
And for those of you who think the first place team should get to choose who they play, there are two teams who finished first.
The only fix is a playoff system that eliminates the loser.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:40 pm

Dug Sea wrote:
If three weeks ago, you were told that Harvey and GM boys were in a tournament which would decide who got to play the winner of the tournament that Hartland was in,  and, likewise CHS and Cal. girls were on the opposite side of the draw from  Grand Falls, most would of said, perfect, the system is working.
And for those of you who think the first place team should get to choose who they play, there are two teams who finished first.
The only fix is a playoff system that eliminates the loser.  

It only seems to be a topic from the southwest regionals as they are so dominant compared to the northeast
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:05 pm

At least one thing is clear GM must be a lot more scared of Hartland than they are of Harvey. Canterbury girls, they chose what they know is the easier route.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pg7

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:11 pm

The fact that Harvey may not have their best player (Sam Drummond), plus not facing them in their home gym is enough reason to prefer facing Harvey over Hartland. Caledonia may surprise them in the 1-4 game though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warrior4ever

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:33 pm

Not sure about that Canterbury GM girls game. Harvey and GM were evenly matched all season. GM was emotionally tired in a tough win against Harvey right before they played CHS the first time. Canterbury played without one of their best players in Taylor today. She was on the bench in street clothes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:02 pm

Warrior4ever wrote:
Not sure about that Canterbury GM girls game.  Harvey and GM were evenly matched all season. GM was emotionally tired in a tough win against Harvey right before they played CHS the first time. Canterbury played without one of their best players in Taylor today. She was on the bench in street clothes.
Canterbury tanked, Most blatant I have ever seen. Fake an injury, play bench players most of the game that had never seen the light of the day before this game. Most telling, 3 minutes left and somehow they get it to within 6 and pull the rest of the starters. Note to Cantebury coach: when you plan a tank, do not tell your players. Direct quote from one of your players before the game" coach says no Blanken way we are going to Grand falls next weekend".
On the other hand, Grand Manan , playing with integrity came out with guns blazing, leaving no doubt they were out to win.we all have our opinion, but I know which coach I would want my kid to play for.
We need to change the 3/4 format, give the winner the choice.
Back to top Go down
Warrior4ever

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:39 pm

Definitely agree with giving the 3/4 winner the choice. Hope NBIAA is reading these.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball4life23

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:17 pm

I would like to say that these messages on here are unsportsmanlike and childish. Saying that a player was faking an injury sure shows how observant you people are. Tayler got hurt during the Mcadam game, the play was stopped while she limped off the court. So don't throw out flat out lines when you can't even watch a game write. These comments are read by players of these teams and you making rude comments are taking the fun out of the sport. Stop with the criticism. They are playing a competitive sport. How they place matters to the teams and only the teams. Get over it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
casualobserver

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:29 am

I'm sorry, but I think I'm a little confused by the posts on here.  This is New Brunswick high school athletics -- not NBA basketball. I don't believe I've ever seen a NB player go on to make a career in basketball that paid the bills. However, I know there are many successful former players who have become doctors, teachers, carpenters and other worthwhile professionals.

This is interscholastic sport, not preparation for professional sport.  Shame on coaches who value winning above honesty and integrity.  I know I'd want my child to be, above all, a good human being, rather than one focused on winning and achieving goals above morals.

Please take a moment to think about the message being sent -- that sacrificing your work ethic and integrity is acceptable if it achieves a goal.  That's not a message I'd want to teach to our future generation. Again, shame on the concept of short term gain, as opposed to teaching the rewards of long term gain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball0303

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:38 am

To start this is so disrespectful to every player who plays on the chs senior girls team. Accusing a player of faking an injury is down right horrible and disrespectful. During one of the games Friday Taylor took a knee to her knee, she is an extremely talented player but her team could not ask her to play with an injury. Now accusing one of the best basketball in the league of faking an injury? No that is wrong, there are just parents of other teams on here that are mad their strategy did not turn out to be successful. Taylor would never ever fake an injury and for anybody who thinks she would is wrong. Parents bad talking a high school team just because your kid lost shows a lot of character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:08 am

This is about coaches and teams intentionally losing to get a better shot at going to harbor station and the fact that the process needs to change. It happens every year and is wrong on many levels, but in particular the message it sends kids.
I do not think you can argue that Cantebury wanted to, or tried to win that game, or that their best player played fine Friday night but sat in street cloth's Saturday. I should have chosen my words more carefully in my first post, because I understand that the player did not fake an injury and never would, in particular this kid, a real competitor and clearly One of the better players in A at a very young age. But what happens is coaches pull kids from these games using all kinds of reasons and I believe that is wrong.
There is a solution to the issue and NBIAA needs to look at it.

Last edited by Lefty on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
bball0303

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:09 am

And also I would like to add that saying the Canterbury coaches lack integrity is so wrong. Those coaches are amazing coaches who have coached these girls with everything they could possibly give! No body has any right to judge the chs sr girls this way. GM boys obviously threw the game. Chs girlsls lost by what 9? How is that a blatant tank? Its not. Nor did the chs girls slack off their game, they drove to the net, shot their foul shots to the best of there ability and stayed strong on defence, sorry GM but only winning by 9 or 10 doesn't mean the other team blatantly threw the game. And yes the chs sr girls bench did play a lot, but that's the thing they have a team where everyone of those girls can play ball. You can pull off a grade 12 and a grade 9 will do just as good of job! So playing your bench isn't a tank especially when you're bench can play ball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Today at 9:09 am

Back to top Go down

here's a topic for u.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next