HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

here's a topic for u.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Froglaker

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 am

Single A ball has some great support on here. My observations is that the NBIAA should leave well enough alone. The best teams all end up at Harbor Station.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:19 am

@bball0303. How can you talk about the Cantebury coaches being so God like and the GM coaches being from the pit of hell.......give me a break! Maybe the 2 teams tanked, maybe they didn't . Maybe the players did it on their own, maybe they didn't. I know the GM boys team has a very short bench and had a very tough game against Caldwell and a ridiculously tough game against Hartland the night before. They possibly could have been wiped out. Who knows. I do know I personally heard 2 Cantebury girls pleading with their coach "please don't make us go back to John Caldwell. There's no way we are going back to John Caldwell". That is a fact!

It's a flawed system and every year teams play the system, that's just the way it is, can't really blame them. But I don't think anybody from GM or Cantebury should be pointing fingers at anybody. Time to move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:49 am

As in stated last year at this time this is an issue that nbiaa needs to deal with. Simple fix in my mind (as I stated last year). And by the way, I am hearing stories that there were some "suspicious" results at not just the single a tourneys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime

PostSubject: 3/4   Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:20 am

Leave it alone. The issue of Canterbury and/or GM and or any other team using their bench I personally think is great. They secured a position in the following weekends play and gave most if not everyone of their players a chance to be a part of it. By the sounds of the score the players had the experience of playing in a tight contest. (I was not there so do not know for sure). An expereice that may pay dividends for the program in the future.
As for letting the winner of 3/4 decide what place they want--How is that fair to the teams on the other side who may not be thinking of Harbour Station but dreaming of getting one step closer by making a sectional final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:31 am

When is the last time a 3-4 seed team out of the first round made it to Harbour Station?

Any time u have a round robin or seeding style tournament, you will have coaches looking at strategic angles to improve their probability to make it Harbour Station. In that process, they educate their kids about brackets, strategy and game theory...this is not necessarily a bad thing. Next weekend they have to lay it all on the line. These kids have practised/played every day for 3 months. Their bodies are tired and banged up.

The system NBIAA set up is what it is. Play smart this weekend and get your team to next weekend healthy and rested.

If you really want to make the system fair, lets not worry about the 3-4 seeding game. Let's talk about how most of the Northeast teams get to rest this weekend and how some of the losers of the first round games in the Southwest are better than the 3 and 4 seeds getting in automatically from the Northeast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball0303

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am

Exactly! Thank you! Canterbury sr girls secured their spot in sectionals after they're tough battle Friday night! So why not let the whole team enjoy it? Playing their bench is not a bad thing especially when their bench is just as good as their starters!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:19 am

Good point south by southwest but what is your workable solution ?
Also chances are if you lost your opening game in the regionals yes you may be better then 3 or 4 team on the other side but guessing you are only looking at playing one more game .
I agree resting banged up players is fine in a situation that is not a must win. That is not tanking . Tanking is losing on purpose with the team you have on the floor. That is not a strategy that should happen. Not saying this happened. But I agree the 3/4 game at Regionals would be more meaningful and less controversial if it was winners choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 am

Choosing where to go if you won the 3/4 game is all well and good but if both 3's decided to stay on the same side...who would be 4 and play number 1. Would the four be bumped out and x-over. Then would that 4 be a 3...could be confusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

We spend too much time in our small province worrying about size and age class during the regular season. Let's get the best 10 teams playing together in Tier 1. For instance a girls Tier 1 may look like this. T

Tier 1
Sussex
KV
Fredericton
Leo Hayes
Riverview
Bernice McNaughton
Habourview JV
Sussex JV
Woodstock
Rothesay

The girls are playing 18 tough games and are becoming better basketball players because of the level of competition. Yes, that is Harbourview JV and Sussex JV on the list and wow ...AA teams also. No more 50-60 point blow outs in league play. These games do nothing for either team. I sat in the gym and watched a bunch of them this year. Teams getting blown out are getting disheartened and the team doing the blowing out is forced to slow down their game to avoid being accused of blowing the doors of another team.

The teams get ranked based on their standings at the end of the year. There are six AAA varsity teams in tier 1. Then take the best two AAA teams from Tier II and you have your elite 8 who play down to Harbour Station. Woodstock and Rothesay would get seeded top 2 in AA and then work down the tiers and come up with your next 8. You would need a couple small ranking tournaments at the start of the year. The teams that play a higher tier, get a better rank when you fall back to the traditional school size/age class for provincial championships. This would encourage teams to not tank in the early season tier tournaments.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm

bball0303 wrote:
Exactly!  Thank you! Canterbury sr girls secured their spot in sectionals after they're tough battle Friday night! So why not let the whole team enjoy it? Playing their bench is not a bad thing especially when their bench is just as good as their starters!
Just a couple quick questions as I was not there. 1 by hard fought contest do you mean a 20 something win in the first game. 2 did the allstar play against Harvey and did they play the whole bench that game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball4life23

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Canterburys Allstar played against Harvey because she decided she was okay to play. Her playing this game made her injury even worse. CHS had a hard game against Harvey and the team seemed tired and sore. No the bench was not played that game but they were needed for the GM game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball0303

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Canterbury made sectionals Friday night, those girls played there hearts out and were exhausted Saturday and sore, some repeatedly asked for subs, when you have a strong bench like they do then there is no reason to not use it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:43 pm

Just because you paint stripes on an elephant doesn't make it a zebra......but people will still try to justify it to you....lets leave the arguing of tanking to the karma gods because they usually have a way of working things out.

Ball on!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Warrior4ever

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:08 pm

I agree. Let it go people. It is what it is. It will all sort it self out at sectionals. The best teams will prevail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:52 pm

So the all-star played in the game that would assure if they won they wouldn't play john Caldwell and the bench didn't. Then in the game that would assure that if they lost they wouldn't play john Caldwell the all-star sat and the bench played. Yeah sounds perfectly normal but luckily the basketball gods are pointing you right where you need to go , to the defending champs home court
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boas 98-02

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:00 pm

I think the best solution is to eliminate regionals weekend altogether and go right to provincials. Top 4 from each conference go directly to crossovers. The season becomes much more meaningful and there is no chance of games being tanked or players being injured.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:14 pm

I agree that the 3-4 game needs to be looked at, but the solution is not as eady as giving the winner a choice of where to go. Let's use A girls as an example since it seems to be the issue of debate here. For the purpose of this argument let's say that both teams played hard and GM won, indicating that they are the better team. If they were given the choice GM would probably choose to go to Caledonia to play Caledonia in the first sectionals game, sending Canterbury to Grand Falls to play Petitcodiac in the first round. If we assume the winner of the 3/4 gqme is the better team that means that top seeded Caldonia is getting a tougher game than 2 seeded Petitcodiac. That is not fair yo the other side.

I would like to propose a solution, but unfortunately can't think of one without a complete overhaul of the system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaterBoy

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Lets clear this up, Taylor, the all star, played in the game that would secure them in sectionals, played with an injury.. then the next game that would decide if they played in seed 1 game or seed 3 game she attempted to play! Canterbury obviously played their 2nd game to their full ability. If they placed 2nd seed their sectional road would be easier.. then on Saturday the reality came in, if they have to play #1 seeds John Caldwell or Caledonia, they are going to want Taylor healthy! That is simply why she didn't play..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:55 pm

No really. I think we already figured that out. They bailed to take the easier route we get it. One more game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Geez, I go away for a few days and all h%ll breaks lose! I can remember a certain Viking team from an island, shooting shots from just over half in a 3-4 game in an effort to go to NSER instead of Grand Manan. They got their arses handed to them in that game and then NSER did the same to them the next weekend. Karma!
I don't think anyone can debate this any further without the sage words of CoachDJR(aka James Naismith)...(S)He must know what to do...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Realllllly?

PostSubject: OH MY GOSH!!   Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:55 pm

ok YOU PEOPLE THIS IS HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL NOT THE DARN NBA!!! These are high school children and I would really like the adults here to act at least as mature as the kids playing ball if that is at all possible. Good gracious....You people are really too much!!!! Grow up and quit running down the poor kids that are there to play the game and really that is all it is A GAME! At the end of the day it isn't gonna matter where any team plays!!! It matters if they have a great time doing what they love!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Realllllly? wrote:
ok YOU PEOPLE THIS IS HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL NOT THE DARN NBA!!!  These are high school children and I would really like the adults here to act at least as mature as the kids playing ball if that is at all possible.  Good gracious....You people are really too much!!!!  Grow up and quit running down the poor kids that are there to play the game and really that is all it is A GAME!  At the end of the day it isn't gonna matter where any team plays!!! It matters if they have a great time doing what they love!!

Nice fit, Really?
And watch your language... "darn". Really?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Realllllly?

PostSubject: Grow up!   Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Lefty wrote:
Warrior4ever wrote:
Not sure about that Canterbury GM girls game.  Harvey and GM were evenly matched all season. GM was emotionally tired in a tough win against Harvey right before they played CHS the first time. Canterbury played without one of their best players in Taylor today. She was on the bench in street clothes.
Canterbury tanked, Most blatant I have ever seen. Fake an injury, play bench players most of the game that had never seen the light of the day before this game. Most telling, 3 minutes left and somehow they get it to within 6 and pull the rest of the starters. Note to Cantebury coach: when you plan a tank, do not tell your players. Direct quote from one of your players before the game" coach says no Blanken way we are going to Grand falls next weekend".
On the other hand, Grand Manan , playing with integrity came out with guns blazing, leaving no doubt they were out to win.we all have our opinion, but I know which coach I would want my kid to play for.
We need to change the 3/4 format, give the winner the choice.

Poor you I find it appalling that you would have the nerve to say that any players on a team are not "good enough" to play and your comment about the light of day?? really bone head...get a grip HIGH SCHOOL MUCH??? I find your comment sickening i am sure that The young lady that was off the floor was off because of an Injury and that This is a school sport and not professional sports and the young lady does not need to make her injury worse. ALL players should be praised and appreciated the poor kids that are reading this I am sure are feeling very hurt. This is absolutely sickening!! I can not believe that parents are talking in this manner. Or allowing their children too tsk tsk....I am so embarrassed for you!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Realllllly?

PostSubject: ooooops   Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:35 pm

my bad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Realllllly?

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:50 pm

bball0303 wrote:
Exactly!  Thank you! Canterbury sr girls secured their spot in sectionals after they're tough battle Friday night! So why not let the whole team enjoy it? Playing their bench is not a bad thing especially when their bench is just as good as their starters!

well said bball0303 Smile The players would not be where they are if they could not play Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: here's a topic for u.   Today at 1:05 am

Back to top Go down

here's a topic for u.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next