HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Girls 4A Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bambamballer

PostSubject: Girls 4A Rankings   Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Wondering what folks out there are thinking about the latest rankings. Top four seem pretty solid, all be it beatable. 5-10 and HM's have a few interesting placements.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Rankings   Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 am

Wondering which teams you're uncomfortable with at their various ranking locations? Other than the top 2 who have truly separated themselves (Chinook especially), #3-15 can beat each other on any given night. In some cases teams have jumped due to impressive wins and teams being at full health - Sir Winston Churchill comes to mind. They lost a close game to Centennial and beat Spruce Grove - they also got their provincial team guard back from ACL injury. In my opinion, the back and forth/guess work is often a result of poor mismatches between various teams (We will struggle against quality bigs - Jenna from Med Hat or Beth from SWC) - a team like Chinook is big, athletic, have the best player in the province (Kacie Bosch)and play all 2-3 zone. Raymond plays up tempo, have Sunder West (#1a player in the prov) have outstanding athletes and want to out-score you. I can hardly wait to see how their game plays out in late Feb. All I know is that for those teams qualifying for 4a provincials, there will be a lot of 50/50 games with no clear-cut winner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Rankings   Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:14 pm

I just wanted to reply to your observation that Chinook, as the #1 4A team in the province, plays zone exclusively on defense. With their athleticism and offensive capabilities, you would think that they would NOT be resorting to zone defense to help win games. Man defense is certainly tougher to teach and play, but players in the long run develop a better understanding of the game. When teams win playing a combination of zone and man or solely man defense, I think it is speaks more to the strength of the team vs competition. Chinook is certainly very good this year, but would they have the same success not playing zone? Throwing it out there for debate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT3

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Rankings   Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Mark Your Calendars for Friday the 21st @ 7:45pm. It is the battle for provincial supremacy and the coveted #1 seed. The Fast paced, high scoring #2 Raymond Comets vs The Slower paced but Very Good Offensive team #1 Chinook Coyotes.

Raymond is led by 3rd year starting Varsity player Sunder West. Averages 19.3 pts per game in League. But can explode when she wants to on any given night. Like she did at Tri-Prov a couple weeks ago and hit 8 3's and score 40+ points. And Last Year in the Semi Final game against Chinook she scored 48 or so points. She is lightning quick, and fills up the stat sheet in every category, she gets 10+ assists every game and a lot of steals. Raymond as a team has improved leaps and bounds from last season. They were a young team with only 2 seniors that didn't really contribute to the team. Besides Sunder they were all a little ball shy and were scared to shoot and handle the ball, which would lead to the ball being pass back and forth between Sunder and another player until Sunder shot it. However this year they are all more confident and all five starters are an offensive threat all average 10+ points in league. Another thing that Raymond lacked last year was height and at the very beginning of the season a 6'1 centre from Stirling transferred to Raymond because Stirling is a 1A school and she wanted to be noticed by schools better. So now Raymond is Very Fast, they have height, they have good chemistry, and any of the five starters can score when left open. Which makes for a very good.

However, Chinook is Ranked #1 for a reason. And they are very much like Raymond. They also are led by 3rd year Varsity player Kacie Bosch. She Averages 21.5 points per game in league. And is a very very Smart player and is also really fundamental. I've heard some say she plays like a boy and would be one of the better players in the boys league. She is that good. I don't know if her long, curly, ginger hair that makes her look like the girl off Brave gives her that power or what, but she is Extremely Talented. She played for team Alberta and has Verbally Agreed to Sign with Gonzaga. Chinook as a team is also really talented, they may not have the speed and scoring ability that Raymond does, but they make it up with their solid defence and strength to push their opponent around. As fundamental and as smart of a team as them makes it hard for teams to beat them.

The Rivalry

This "Rivalry" goes back to junior high school, especially for the Kacie vs Sunder Rivalry. Both girls always dominated and because of their effort their teams would also be the best. In grade nine things got a little more heated when people would compare the two players and argue over who was better. The more part of the people said Kacie was just a little bit better because she had better fundamentals and was more of a team player. Others said Sunders quickness gave her the edge. However you look at it they are both gifted for sports. Oh and as I recall I do remember them playing on the same soccer team together throughout Junior High where they were good friends but now, they are no longer friends for some reason…..
Both girls Started in Grade 10 and played big roles in their Teams success. In Grade 11 They split league games and In the Provincial Semi Final vs the #2 Chinook and #6 Raymond The underdogs came out firing, or should I say Sunder came out firing Raymond took the 20 point league early in the game and never looked back. For a lot of the game Sunder had more points than the entire Chinook team combined. She ended up with 48 points and a birth to the Prov Final where they lost to Cardston.
Now almost 11 months in waiting the two powerhouses will finally play again. Chinook is Thirsty for revenge and Raymond is Furiously after that #1 seed into Zones and in the Province. Both teams have pounded their competition thus far and this will make both teams have to battle to come up on top. Expect some Blood, expect some Elbows thrown, expect some High Tempers, expect some angry fans, bad calls, and Technicals. Expect a good show from the two most dominant players in the Province, expect a fast paced, intense game, Expect both teams to fight to the death and leave everything on the line, Expect Nothing but the Best.
An Instant Classic 18 years in the making.

Friday the 21st, @ 7:45. At Chinook High School.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Rankings   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:25 am

No doubt Friday will be exciting for all those in attendance. As far as I can guess either team could win deoending on circumstances.

If Raymond is allowd to run...look out. if Chinook plays their best, look out. The unfortunate thing here is that i heard through my volleyball circles that Cory Cheshire, Chinooks big, is out with a broken finger and may be lost for the season and . This will definitely hurt Chinook as her presence will be missed as it was when they played in last years provincials when she was playing volleyball somewhere. When she is gone, bosch plays down low as she jumps out of the gym. This leaves it wide open for Sunder, to light it up with less aggressive defensive pressure and she can light it up when the pressure is heated.

Added to Cory's absence is the possibility that Katie Keith may not be able to play.

If Chinook beats Raymond without Cheshire and keith or either, they are the real deal. If Raymond beats Chinook on Friday, they may see a different look at zones and provincials so best to keep your wits and not get too high. Either way it will be fun for those who are there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PleaseBoxOut

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Rankings   Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 pm

D-It-Up wrote:
I just wanted to reply to your observation that Chinook, as the #1 4A team in the province, plays zone exclusively on defense.  With their athleticism and offensive capabilities, you would think that they would NOT be resorting to zone defense to help win games. Man defense is certainly tougher to teach and play, but players in the long run develop a better understanding of the game.  When teams win playing a combination of zone and man or solely man defense, I think it is speaks more to the strength of the team vs competition. Chinook is certainly very good this year, but would they have the same success not playing zone?  Throwing it out there for debate.

Hi!

What do the offensiveness capabilities of a team have to do with what kind of defense a team plays? Also, what does "resorting" to zone defense even mean? Are you implying a team playing zone is kind of cheating the system? Of course man defense is tougher to teach and play; most of an offensive teams preparation is done with regards to offensive sets. How many teams spend as much time on their zone offense as they do on their man? Chinook may--or may not-- have the same success playing man. That isn't for us to decide. Chinook plays a system they are comfortable with, and until people actually learn how to break a zone, they would be foolish to change. Also, a team with athleticism can be very effective in a zone. Look at Syracuse. That length really messes up things. Another point--my last--how many teams can actually shoot the three at a high percentage at the high school level? There are probably two or three girls--at most-- on each team in the top 10 provincially who can shoot the three above 35%. Why would I instruct my athletes to cover them out there so they run their offensive sets they've ran a million times to get a layup?

Sorry if this comes off as harsh. I just hear this "zone" debate a lot and I don't understand the logic behind it. If it's cheating, then ban it. If it's not, then lets stop chastising teams who decide to play zone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: chinook raymond    Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:55 am

so chinook beat raymond 73 to 68 raymond from what I understand had the lead for a good part of the game but chinook clawed their way back and one rematch should be a great one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Rankings   Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Drove in for this one. Raymond led the whole game and was up 68-66 when Chinook scored the final 7. Both West and Bosch were remarkable. Bosch was all Chinook had in the first 3 quarters as the supporting cast was cold. West tweaked an ankle and missed a couple of minutes and then returned. The incident looked serious at first but thankfully she seemed to be fine. She may have stepped on Bosch's foot while making a beautiful pass or she may have just rolled it. Katie Keith snapped out of a funk in the fourth and began to play like she can.

On a non basketball note, the crowd was large and most of them came in from Raymond. Why do some folks have to taunt players, call every travelling call on the other team but stay silent when their team walks, cheer mistakes and on and on and on. I am not talking about kids here. The behaviour in those stands last night were an embarrassment. I do not have a rooting interest here but there is no place in the world of high school sport for the kinds of verbal outbursts displayed last night. I am also not blaming one side as there were offenders on both to be sure but some of the Raymond supporters should have been dismissed for the comments they made about their own players let alone the venom they spewed towards teenage girls playing what was probably the best game in years. When I arrived I was thrilled to see the community support for the Raymond girls...when I left I decided I will not be going to the rematch in Raymond as those folks will probably go to that game too..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Girls 4A Rankings   Today at 5:29 am

Back to top Go down

Girls 4A Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1