HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Final 12 Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
observer

PostSubject: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:01 am

Ranking the games from best to worst:

1) AA boys - I am assuming that this is Carleton North vs Woodstock. If it is another mathcup it would probably drop down the list

2) A boys - Watching Pothier when he is on is quite a sight to see and the Pothier/Orser matchup will be fun to watch

3) AAA boys - FHS should be 40 points better than everyone, but Leo Hayes always seems to raise their level of play against FHS. If Leo Hayes is making shots it will be tight, if not it could get out of hand

4) AAA girls - KV should be the favourite. Haven't seen much of BMHS

5) AA girls - Woodstock should win this easily

6) A girls - This should be the year for JCS. They ahve depth and shooters that no other A team can match. Caledonia has a couple of great players, but can't much up across the board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
normalfan

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 pm

AAA boys should be a fun game to watch with the rivarly they have. Leo will need to control The boards for them to have any chance to win and not give up easy points off of turnovers. Both teams love to run so whoever can win the halfcourt side of the game will win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 am

I have seen shooters have real issues at Harbour Station. Playing in the bigger venue, it is a little more challenging to find the range in such a short period of practice time. Teams like KV and John Caldwell girls who rely on the outside shot heavily may have some challenges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:57 am

Bigger challenge might be cancellation of schools for the last two days and potentially tomorrow if people aren't allowed to travel.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballfreak

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:22 pm

hartland by 15
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Any idea what happens to Friday games if school is potentially cancelled?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisLife6

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Macnaughton girls and FHS boys come out on top in tonights games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:28 pm

Two great games. McNaughton game plan executed to perfection. KVHS just can't get rolling after 1st quarter loss of Macdonald was a game changer for them. McNaughton with a title no one called earlier this year.

FHS vs LEO was the most intense and well paced boys game I've seen in a long time in NB. Had everything Lions gave them a chance to win it right down to the buzzer. Great game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Breakerball

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Scores?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:36 pm

FHS by one over Leo Hayes. Leo Hayes had the winner on the rim with 1 or two seconds to go and it rolled out. THink is was around 72-71.

KV and BMHS was a snoozer. Low scoring . BMHS won by around 7 or so. KV had a bit of a rally at the end to make the final score reflect a closer game than it was. No transition offence. Half court defence and tons of jump balls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:41 am

Breakerball wrote:
Scores?

BMHS 52 - KV 44

FHS 71 - LHHS 70
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Girls A -- John Caldwell over Caledonia 69-42

Boys A -- Hartland over Grand Manan 75-49

Girls AA -- Woodstock over Rothesay 82-67

Boys AA -- Woodstock over Carleton North 58-50

Looks like the North-West comes away owning the AA and A divisions this year. Congrats to all teams in all divisions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:45 pm

observer wrote:
Ranking the games from best to worst:

1) AA boys - I am assuming that this is Carleton North vs Woodstock.  If it is another mathcup it would probably drop down the list

2) A boys - Watching Pothier when he is on is quite a sight to see and the Pothier/Orser matchup will be fun to watch

3) AAA boys - FHS should be 40 points better than everyone, but Leo Hayes always seems to raise their level of play against FHS.  If Leo Hayes is making shots it will be tight, if not it could get out of hand

4) AAA girls - KV should be the favourite.  Haven't seen much of BMHS

5) AA girls - Woodstock should win this easily

6) A girls - This should be the year for JCS.  They ahve depth and shooters that no other A team can match.  Caledonia has a couple of great players, but can't much up across the board.

Games from best to worst in reality.

1) AAA boys. Instant classic.

2) AA boys. Most energy and intensity HS has seen on a Sat. night. Both teams got after it.

3) AAA girls - Game was gritty and little sloppy but competitive the whole way through.

4) AA Girls - Game felt like it was a blowout and WHS was never not in control but RHS made enough shots to hang around.

5) A Boys - This failed to live up to the hype. GM couldn't make shots, couldn't defensively contain HCS actions. This one went from GM has to make shots at some point right? to yikes.

6) A Girls - Never want to crown anyone in the Offseason but this one was seen coming a ways off. Caledonia made a good push early while JCS was finding the Harbour legs, but there wasn't much to talk about after the 2nd period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:35 pm

One of the things I was happy to see this year at the Final 12 was the defensive consistency between teams and the prevalnce of m2m defense. I went there the last couple of years and you were seeing probalby 50-75% zone in a lot of the games.

A girls - JC mixed in some zone looks but played primarily m2m or at least matched up out of what they were doing. Caledonia was m2m until fouls started mounting up and they got overmatched so to keep their best kids in the game went to some zone.

A boys - Both teams went straight m2m the entire way.

AA girls - Woodstock played mostly m2m throwing some pressure and changing angles now and then depending on what group was in the game. Rothesay playde m2m but like Caledonia when overmatched and needing to keep certain kids in the game went to some zone.

AA boys - Woodstock mixed up some m2m and 2-3 but matched up pretty well out of their zone. CNHS did a bunch of different things defensively which inevitably lead back to them pressuing and scrambling in the quarter court whether they started in zone or m2m.

AAA girls - KV played m2m and then threw in some jump trap pressure when they had legs. BMHS was almost exclusively 1-3-1 changing angles and pick up points.

AAA boys - Freddy played almost entirely m2m. LHHS would run and jump or scramble in the front two thirds of the court then matchup in the last quarter.

I can also say that I saw a lot more m2m in A exh and league games this year where I would normally see a lot of m2m. We probably saw more zone in the AA girls league then we did in exhibition play against A and AAA schools.

Nothing wrong with zone, but its great to see kids winning and succeeding because they can play m2m and needing to read m2m defenses not just sets vs zones. More about the kids making plays at both ends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:14 pm

CoachDJR wrote:

Nothing wrong with zone, but its great to see kids winning and succeeding because they can play m2m and needing to read m2m defenses not just sets vs zones. More about the kids making plays at both ends.

There's nothing quite as ugly as watching a team play a stand around zone with someone screaming "hands up" while just hoping the other team won't move the ball or make shots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BumptheCutter

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Does anyone know if the Final "12" commitee has ever considered or discussed a blackout of the live broadcast of games???? Wouldn't they get a much larger crowd at Harbour Station???? It's a great venue but man it seems empty. Broadcast the games the following weekend....I would bet the farm that more people would make the trip to St.John to watch the games live.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:01 am

BumptheCutter wrote:
Does anyone know if the Final "12" commitee has ever considered or discussed a blackout of the live broadcast of games???? Wouldn't they get a much larger crowd at Harbour Station???? It's a great venue but man it seems empty. Broadcast the games the following weekend....I would bet the farm that more people would make the trip to St.John to watch the games live.

I would hope that they would not do that as there are many people who are unable to attend for various reason but still want to watch and cheer on their family .......I dont think many people would watch the superbowl a week later Smile

But you are right it seemed to be pretty empty this year , not sure why because there were some good rivalries there.

On another note I am wondering if they would ever consider moving the NBIAA all-star game to the UNB Currie Center?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:05 pm

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
BumptheCutter wrote:

I would hope that they would not do that as there are many people who are unable to attend for various reason but still want to watch and cheer on their family .......I dont think many people would watch the superbowl a week later Smile

But you are right it seemed to be pretty empty this year , not sure why because there were some good rivalries there.

On another note I am wondering if they would ever consider moving the NBIAA all-star game to the UNB Currie Center?

IF the Currie Center wants to host the NBIAA all-star game they can submit a proposal to host. Sussex has willingly acted as the default host the last few years as no other proposals have come forward.

In terms of fans I think Saint John is a great venue. In descending order of importanace I think the issues this year might have been:

1) MIddle School provincials being on that weekend eliminates a bunch of fans, parents, officials and young players who might attend from going.

2) Changes to the schedule but the AAA schools on Friday night and being more central can probably travel quicker or easier so not needing to make an entire weekend out of the trip either an up and back or just an overnight and then home. Coing to the city or SJ just isn't as big "trip" or deal as it might be to teams and families from more rural areas. Where as when the A games were Friday night a lof of A schools fans and parents would make a weekend of it Finals/Shopping Friday Sat, maybe even All star game on Saundy.

3)SJ is not really as centralized as it seems. While closer to Moncton and Eastern points than Fredericton was,  it is dramatically further from the North and the western areas teams obviously have to travel further then the did when it was in Fredericton. The nearest basketball hot beds GM?/Moncton?/Fredericton are all more than an hour away by travel. So basically any teams/fans not from Saint John  it becomes an overnight or multiple overnight experience that just the average high school kid or group of friends can't swing. High School kids from Fredericton/Woodstock/Carleton North/Harvey etc. might be able to drive 30- 45 min to a game at night/home again or a day trip in their own car in a group but most are not going to be allowed to take a group of friends and overnight. With the A games in the middle of the day on Sat that weren't all that competitive and having the least knowledge or interest outside of their own communities and two late night sessions,  you will get the community fans and die hards but casual fans are probably not going to show up in the same numbers.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BumptheCutter

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:07 pm

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
BumptheCutter wrote:

It's a no brainer that it should go to the Currie Centre....that place is the perfect venue. I believe it holds around 1500 people. People would have to get there early to get a good seat. That's what the Final "12" needs a venue bursting at the seams.
Harbour Station has it for the next 2 years, so it won't be moving for awhile. The St.John commitee does a great job of hosting but maybe they should promote it more. Wouldn't be nice to see the attendance numbers for last weekend's games and the previous years. I remember a few games at the Aitken Centre where it was hard to find a decent seat....maybe the crowds were the same size as Harbour Station gets now but it sure doesn't feel that way.
Would the Superbowl seem as exciting if Giant Stadium (80,000 capacity) only had 10,000 fans at the game......NOT. Smaller venue creates more excitement!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:19 pm

I hear that Stj committe only applicant to host and hats off to them for doing it, lot of work and they produced nice setting. I like Currie Centre, but don't think there is sufficient bodies interested in doing the work after the way they were treated by Nbiaa. Moncton would be great site as well, it really should be rotated say every 3 yrs with each venue helping the next with the handoff and knowing that it is coming back to them. Doubt that cooperation exists In NB.
Anyone think it should be decentralized to high schools and maybe return to tournament setting? I think some hs could could do a great job and the gyms would be packed, heaven help team that has to play Wdsk at home final game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 pm

I was hoping to attend the AAA boys game but wasn't going to drive home (Riverview) at 11:00PM or stay over night because of one game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BumptheCutter

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Good points brady12.... the games do need to stay at a neutral site for sure. Thanks for the info. on the Fredericton situation as well. The people in St.John run a first class tourney and it's a great experience for kids that get to play there. I just wish more NB basketball fans would show up and support it. They should try and sell advance tickets and if they don't reach a number they need, a week before the Final 12....blackout the TV broadcast.
I agree with you As well DJR . It is hard for those fans from up North to make the trip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:19 pm

It is once a year....once. It's no secret where the Finals are being played...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsmkbm

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:05 am

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

There's no harm in having an open discussion about other location options... Is that not what these forums are for? I think it would be great to see the finals moved around a bit. Maybe bring more, new spectators to it and larger crowds. Sorry if it costs you GM BREAKER an extra $10 in gas to drive to Fredericton, you don't have to be quite so "one-sided" about it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 am

dsmkbm wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:

There's no harm in having an open discussion about other location options... Is that not what these forums are for?   I think it would be great to see the finals moved around a bit. Maybe bring more, new spectators to it and larger crowds.   Sorry if it costs you GM BREAKER an extra $10 in gas to drive to Fredericton, you don't have to be quite so "one-sided" about it...

It would probably cost GM Breaker a little more than $10 considering he is in Alberta.....but point taken. As has been said above anyone can put in a bid to host the "Final Twelve" and SJ is a great location with the hotel being connected via the pedway....my mention earlier was that maybe UNB could host the "NBIAA All-star Game" to kind of test the waters before it put in a bid to host the entire tournament. Don't get me wrong Sussex has always done a great job of hosting but it seems sillt not to take advantage of such a venue as the Currie Center.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final 12 Discussion   Today at 1:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Final 12 Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1