HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Start of a new season in the North

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chongo

PostSubject: Start of a new season in the North   Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:40 am

Well the Sault bball season gets underway tonite for real after the east-west game at Korah.

It looks like Basil's is still the team to beat in town but they might have a few hiccups along the way, especially as ther is only one ball on the court at one time!

It should be a tight race for second between Korah, Dunn and St. Mary's.

have the full leagues started yet in Sudbury or North bay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:47 pm

One of the northern teams that some of you seem to be forgetting is Chippewa from North Bay. I just saw them at a tournament in a 52 team tournament in Ottawa. They won the tournament beating some quality teams from Ottawa and southern Ontario along the way. This team will be in the mix for ofsaa representation out of norther ontario.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: As to Chippewa   Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:10 am

No I think they have always been in the mix because they went to the NOSSA playdowns last year. It depends on how North Bay sends their representatives.

As there is only one "AAA" school in North Bay will they be defacto sent or will another team go (second place in city play downs).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:14 am

My understanding is that they are a single A school but will be playing for a spot at AA ofsaa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 am

If they go "AA" then they will most likely have to beat St. Basils for the OFSAA spot.

I say this because as much as I would like it to be different, Basil's has a very good shot at being the city champ in the Soo and that allows them to pick either "AA" or "AAA" and history shows us that they always take the path of least resistance, leaving the "AAA" for the second place finisher.

This year it looks like St. Marys might be the other team coming out of the Soo as they have only lost to Basils in league play and did fairly well in a tournament in Cambridge this weekend that Basil's, West Ferris and LaSalle also attended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 am

Without boosting Chippewa too much, I think that they not only have a good shot at getting to AA ofsaa, but also doing well once they get there. I have seen Perth and Parkside, two AA ofsaa contenders likely, and Chippewa is as good if not better than both of them. They are also as good, if not better, than any AA school out of Ottawa this year. The only possible weakness they have is that they lack some depth, but they are big, athletic, guards are quick, they can shoot, and they play hard and disciplined. I have not seen Basils yet but I would love to see the results if they play Chippewa at some point. All of that being said, when you get top quality teams playing each other, anyone can be beaten on any given day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:00 pm

I believe that Basil's handled Timmins fairly easily at the Nickel City tournament.

Perth was at the same tournament in Cambridge this weekend. I am not sure how they did but I am going to look up the results tonight when I get home. St. Mary's did not go the Tomahawk Tournament instaed going to the Georgian College Tournament so we missed out on seeing how we measure up against the other northern teams.

I look forward to NOSSA to really get a feel for how we match up gainst the other areas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OutControl

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 am

Basils played Timmins?

On their site thats not noted, but that would be big. They have noted loses to: Holy Trinity, Pine Ridge, Caledon, LBP, St Matts, Mother Theresa and Jarvis. They have a few big tourny wins too.. they look like a big northern favourite to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:05 am

OutControl wrote:
Basils played Timmins?

On their site thats not noted, but that would be big. They have noted loses to: Holy Trinity, Pine Ridge, Caledon, LBP, St Matts, Mother Theresa and Jarvis. They have a few big tourny wins too.. they look like a big northern favourite to me.

You are correct. I was mistaken, I meant that they had lost to Caledon and St. Basil's had beaten Caledon in the Finals of the Sudbury Tournament. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:05 am

coachc wrote:
Without boosting Chippewa too much, I think that they not only have a good shot at getting to AA ofsaa, but also doing well once they get there. I have seen Perth and Parkside, two AA ofsaa contenders likely, and Chippewa is as good if not better than both of them. They are also as good, if not better, than any AA school out of Ottawa this year. The only possible weakness they have is that they lack some depth, but they are big, athletic, guards are quick, they can shoot, and they play hard and disciplined. I have not seen Basils yet but I would love to see the results if they play Chippewa at some point. All of that being said, when you get top quality teams playing each other, anyone can be beaten on any given day.

Now that St. Basil's point guard and best player went down with a season ending injury Chippewa will have a better chance of going to OFSAA than before. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthernFan2010

PostSubject: Timmins   Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:49 am

Has anyone from the north beat Timmins this year? They beat Ferris, Chippewa, and St. Mary's from what I can see and they've won three tournaments but they were thumped by a bunch of AAAA teams at the Silver Fox and Pinky Lewis. Have they played basil's this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 am

NorthernFan2010 wrote:
Has anyone from the north beat Timmins this year? They beat Ferris, Chippewa, and St. Mary's from what I can see and they've won three tournaments but they were thumped by a bunch of AAAA teams at the Silver Fox and Pinky Lewis. Have they played basil's this year?

I do not think Basil's have played Timmins. We played Timmins on Saturday and lost by 14. It was a close game (by 5) until the end when free throws took over. Ducharme was injured in the game (knee on knee (he was called for the charge) - I hope that he is alright by OFSAA). I hear that Chippewa wants to go "AA" and up against St. Basils.

Who is going to be the "AAA" reps from North Bay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:35 am

I would be surprised if Basils beats Chippewa especially if what Chongo posted earlier is true that the star player for Basils is out for the season. Even still, I would predict Chippewa to represent the north at AA ofsaa.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:41 am

coachc wrote:
I would be surprised if Basils beats Chippewa especially if what Chongo posted earlier is true that the star player for Basils is out for the season. Even still, I would predict Chippewa to represent the north at AA ofsaa.

Matt B. is supposed to be back a week from this Saturday for the Soo sity finals. He might not be in game shape but should be there! Also, Mario Bruni has played well in his place! Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthernFan2010

PostSubject: Basils vs Chippewa   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:45 am

I would respectfully suggest that Basil's lost a good player, a very good player, but not their star, that clearly is Campana. Tom can hold his own against Isaac of Chippewa and my money is on Basil's. Both teams are well coached but Basil's has a bit more depth from what I can see. Too bad about Ducharme, he's a great player. Will Timmins do well without him if he doesn't make it back in time for OFSAA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthernFan2010

PostSubject: Matt B.   Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:46 am

Good to hear about Matt - Basil's is definitely a better team with him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:16 pm

NorthernFan2010 wrote:
I would respectfully suggest that Basil's lost a good player, a very good player, but not their star, that clearly is Campana. Tom can hold his own against Isaac of Chippewa and my money is on Basil's. Both teams are well coached but Basil's has a bit more depth from what I can see. Too bad about Ducharme, he's a great player. Will Timmins do well without him if he doesn't make it back in time for OFSAA?

We have played him four times this season and I will need to disagree with you on Campana being the best player on Basil's.. He at best is the third best player on Basil's, behing Bertolissi and Hamilton. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthernFan2010

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm

interesting ... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthernFan2010

PostSubject: Final top teams in the north?   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:19 am

Just for discussion purposes ...

Timmins - TH&VS
Sudbury - Lasalle
North Bay - West Ferris or Chippewa
SSM - Basils
TBay - St Ignatius
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chongo

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:44 am

NorthernFan2010 wrote:
Just for discussion purposes ...

Timmins - TH&VS
Sudbury - Lasalle
North Bay - West Ferris or Chippewa
SSM - Basils
TBay - St Ignatius

Is this meant for city reps for "AA" or for city champs? I believe that LaSalle is "AAA" so even if they win cities they will have to go "AAA". The loser of the Soo city finals (SJD or Marys) will be going to "AAA". Mary's beat LaSalle at the Vetrie quite easily so who will be the two North Bay reps at NOSSA AAA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Start of a new season in the North   Today at 9:57 pm

Back to top Go down

Start of a new season in the North
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1