HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3A final rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: 3A final rankings   Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

The games are getting fun and a big weekend ahead. Chestermere seems to be a lock at #1 but after that its wide open. Every other team in the top 10 has had some hiccups including #3 WC who tanked the 4th Q in a loss to Raymond. #2 WR Myers dropping a game to 2A Immanuel Christian and #5 Ponoka losing to 2A West Island at the WCIT. #4 Edmonton Christian dropping a key game to HM St. Albert. #6 McCoy losing to #10 HTA, #7 Canmore appears to have only lost to #3 WC recently in the final here and will probably move up. #8 Cochrane seems to be on the rise as does #9 Wetaskiwin and #10 HTA. HM St Albert had a big win over Edmonton Christian and then turned around and lost to HM St Peter the Apostle who lost to HM Fort Mac who lost to off the map 3A Westwood. HM Sturgeon still looks interesting and could make a run for a provincial berth out of the Edmonton Zone as does HM George MacDougall in a strong SC zone sporting 4 of the top 10.

Key tournament in Wetaskiwin starting Friday with a lot of cross zone match ups. The winner here should jump to the #2 spot for the next ranking period assuming they hold serve afterward.

Match ups:
Westaskiwin vs Canmore
WC vs CHHS Med Hat
Ponoka vs St Albert
McCoy vs Cochrane

Predictions anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm

My guess:

Semis
Wetaskiwin over Winston Churchill
St Albert over McCoy

Final
St Albert over Wetaskiwin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: results    Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:52 am

hey how have things been so far any body know the scores
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: winston    Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:44 pm

so found out that winston churchill won the tourment big that no one touched them don't know any other results
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:45 am

I wasn't there so I don't know how the entire weekend went and not many scores are up on the site but I got the important details and I know WC didn't have a close game all weekend. The CHHS game was a 60 pt difference, Canmore was a blowout and the final against McCoy was less than competitive. It sounds like 5 teams (McCoy, Canmore, Cochrane, Wetaskiwin, Ponoka) are basically inter-changable in the rankings and would get pick 'em odds against each other. St Albert is a step back of those 5 but a few big steps up from CHHS who is quite a bit behind.

This weekend has to put WC at #2 in the next ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:23 pm

I was there. Wetaskiwin consistently has the worst officiating in the province and this year was no exception. I don't know why teams bother to go to this tournament. It is the same way year after year. All it becomes is an exercise in frustration with a bad call followed by a bad call followed by an even worse call. That St Alberta Ponoka game was one of the most pathetic attempts to control a game that I've ever seen. The game before it was even worse and I'm sure the game after was just as bad. I didn't bother going back Saturday as any kind of flow in the games was destroyed and any enjoyment for the fans is sucked out of the gym by the rotating hacks in black and white. The officials that work that tournament desperately need training outside of rural alberta. Getting in 50 different 1A Jr High girls games a year just isn't going to help them. Better yet they should just hang up the sneaks and take up something else like bag man at the No Frills or fry cook at the big M. I'm positive the quality of the officiating in that town will never change. Teams are better off going somewhere else with your free weekend in February. I know every person that attended that tournament agrees with me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:08 pm

@ For Three

I agree. Almost everyone I've talked to about that Wetaskiwin tournament over the years says the exact same thing - inexperienced refs that just aren't good enough to be officiating high school. I think the draw for teams is the cross 3A zone matchups and that rankers are always there. Probably not considered is the fact that an influential ranker is always getting the calls in the key match ups right before the final ranking. Bottom line is that someone needs to organize a top 10 calibre 3A tournament that same weekend somewhere else that has better officiating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:27 pm

With the final rankings coming out Monday a lot of 3A schools have not entered their losses. This is like a broken record of teams trying to cheat the system to get a better ranking. There has to be some kind of consequence. ASAA might as well ditch the ranking system if they aren't going to enforce this.

The top 10 teams/HM that appear to have complete scores:
Chestermere
WR Myers
WC
Ponoka
Canmore
Cochrane
Wetaskiwin
St Albert
Sturgeon Composite
Fort McMurray

Teams that are missing losses:
Edmonton Christian
McCoy
Holy Trinity Okotoks
St Peter The Apostle
George McDougall High
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:10 pm

I agree with 12321, the ranking system is very inaccurate without ALL scores entered by ALL teams who have a desire to be ranked. Teams who leave out any scores shouldn't be ranked at all. This MAY put an end to teams leaving scores off EXNET, but maybe not. I think a team like Edmonton Christian doesn't care to enter all their results as they are very confident year to year that they will win their weaker 3A Edmonton Zone and will get a top 4 seed in the province no matter what. I would still leave them off the first 3 rankings if it was up to me and make them come out of their zone at the end for their first ranking.
Winston Churchill is also missing a few losses that are posted on their league website www.southhoops.ca but they refuse to enter online. Again, maybe they don't care to enter all their results as they will be at provincials no matter what as the host school, but seems very greasy they would only leave out a few bad losses.
Teams that enter wins right after the games but do not enter losses or only enter them during the 11th hour of the ranking period look very fishy and if I was an evaluator I would make them pay for it. I guess the message to all teams in the province is to leave off any bad loss that your team may have experienced so that your team's body of work looks better and the rankers won't find out and even if they do, there is no consequence. The result of all this sneaky business leads to teams being over-ranked, some teams being under-ranked, a terrible provincial ranking system, and a large blemish on Alberta basketball. I think the accurate posting of results needs to be addressed for next year, but maybe I'm alone with wanting an honest ranking system?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ramfan

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:01 pm

Its the same old thing every year, I would say more so in 3A ball than other levels of play. Nothing has ever been done about it so don't expect anything to change. Teams have gotten away with misleading the rankers for years and nothing has been done. Its up to the integrity/morality of the coaches to enter all scores and to me it just makes those coaches look bad, and we all know who coaches each team so its not a secret whose being "greasy"!

My shot at final 3A ranking;
1. Chestermere - strongest schedule, only have a couple losses all year, one to Western by a single point in a hostile gym and one to WR Myers but was too early in season to knock them out of top seed
2. WR Myers - only have couple losses all year, loss vs Immanuel Christian in overtime and IC is the top talent at 2A who would beat most ranked 3A teams this year, other loss to Medicine Hat who is a top team at 4A
3. Winston Churchill - a few bad losses in February, most notably to Raymond, but a few win's over lower ranked 3A teams in tournaments which keeps them in the top 4, unless they are left off for hiding losses
4. Canmore - inconsistent play but have pulled out a few nice W's lately
5. Edmonton Christian - inconsistent play but will stay in the mid-rankings somewhere unless they are left off for hiding losses
6. Holy Trinity (Okotoks) - have been playing better as season has gone on but weak schedule
7. McCoy - has come on strong recently beating Ponoka, Cochrane, and Canmore but dropped a close one to Holy Trinity
8. St. Albert Catholic - nice W vs Edmonton Christian
9. Wetaskewin
10. Cochrane
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:08 pm

I don't think that Chestermere is a lock for #1. From what I know it sounds like Winston Churchill, WR Myers, and Chestermere are the clear top 3 in province and they could be in any order. Earlier in the year there were 2 games b/w these 3 teams, Chestermere beat Churchill by only a basket or two and Myers beat Chestermere by only a basket or two, both games were a battle down to the end. Tough to say what the order will be but doesn't really matter. All 3 should be ranked in the top 4 for provincials in a few weeks. Chestermere will win their zone by 20+ and the South Central zone should get a wildcard which would likely send Canmore or Holy Trinity (Okotoks) to provincials as well. Myers and Churchill will be a dog fight in the South final, and the south should get a wildcard which would likely send McCoy to provincials as well. Wetaskewin and Ponoka should be the Central final and will be a battle, both teams are top 10 quality. Edmonton Christian should win the Edmonton Zone in a scrap over St. Albert Catholic, and this zone should get the third wildcard which would likely send both teams to provincials. Fort McMurray is solid once again this year and will come out of their zone as they do every year, I think most teams would not want to face this team in the first round at provincials. The #4-#10 spots in province are really up in the air in my opinion.
My top 10;
1. Myers
2. Chestermere
3. Churchill
4. St Albert Catholic
5. Canmore
6. Edmonton Christian
7. Holy Trinity Okotoks
8. McCoy
9. Wetaskewin
10. Fort McMurray
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:49 pm

The only missing scores for WC missing that I can see are from this weekend. I think there are a number of games from this weekend that are understandably not posted yet but they should be since rankings come out tomorrow.

The top 3 are clear and they won't change.

1. Chesteremere
2. WR Myers
3. Winston Churchill

After that its a mess.

Just going from hoopfan123 I think St Albert moving ahead of Edmonton Christian is way off. They beat them but they also lost to Cochrane, Ponoka and St Peter the Apostle recently. They shouldn't break the top 10. I see that Edmonton Christian lost 2 games to 3A HM teams and a handful of games to top 4A teams but I've seen them play and they are clearly a top team and I see those 2 3A losses as an aberration since both those teams that beat them have lost multiple games to teams ranked in the last half of the top 10 or lower. I'll put them behind Canmore but not lower as I think 6-10 are interchangeable. The HMs are all a step back of that. Canmore will be ahead of Ponoka, Holy Trinity ahead of McCoy, McCoy ahead of Ponoka, Ponoka ahead of Wetaskiwin who is ahead of Cochrane who is ahead of St Albert, Fort Mac ahead of St Peter. I'll go with:

4. Canmore
5. Edmonton Christian
6. Holy Trinity
7. McCoy
8. Ponoka
9. Wetaskiwin
10. Cochrane

HM Fort MacMurray
HM St Albert
HM George MacDougall
HM St Peter the Apostle
HM Sturgeon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 am

I get most of your logic and agree on a few points. McCoy is clearly much better than Ponoka having watched them go head to head and if Holy Trinity beat McCoy then they should definitely be ahead of them. You'd have to be an idiot not to put that logic together. Edmonton Christian is clearly the best team out of Edmonton and I know that when St Albert beat them it was an off night for them but it shows that it is possible and that they won't walk away with the Edmonton berth. I get that Cochrane beat St Albert in a double digit game and that they should be below Cochrane but they have to be a top 10 team. Leaving them out of the top 10 would be just plain wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 am

So you agree that the top 8 are basically a lock? Its hard to put them in any other order without completely disregarding some key match ups against each other.

9, 10 HM could be changed around a bit but I don't see who you bump out to put St Albert as 10.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:46 pm

Its a really tough call for the exact order, even the top teams could all move around. Churchill, Myers, and Chestermere have all done enough to be #1. The 4 and 5 spots should be Edmonton Christian and Canmore in either order. 6-10 is a toss up. Should be interesting this evening when ranks come out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:48 pm

And I think St. Albert has to be ranked somewhere 6-10 and Cochrane as an HM. Or both ranked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Why is a Ponoka a top 10 at all. The only team they've beaten is Wetaskiwin. They've lost to almost every other team in the top 10 or HM that they've played (1-6 not including Wetaskiwin?). Ponoka lost 2 out of 3 at the Wetaskiwin tournament. Both those teams should be nothing more than HMs for the final ranking.

It should be:

1. Chestermere
2. Winston Churchill
3. WR Myers
4. Canmore
5. Edmonton Christian
6. Holy Trinity
7. McCoy
8. Fort McMurray
9. Cochrane
10. St Albert
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:06 pm

2013-14 Final Ranking

1 Chestermere High
2 Winston Churchill High
3 W.R. Myers High
4 Canmore Collegiate
5 Ponoka Secondary Campus
6 Edmonton Christian
7 Holy Trinity Academy (Okotoks)
8 Monsignor McCoy
9 Fort McMurray Composite
10 St. Peter the Apostle

HM Cochrane High School
HM George McDougall High
HM St. Albert Catholic High
HM Westwood Community
HM Wetaskiwin Composite
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:19 pm

Wow! So Ponoka – who goes 1-2 in their last tournament, is 0-4 against current top 10 teams, has a 16 point loss to an unranked/un-HM 2A school this ranking period – doesn't drop despite teams below them beating them?!?!?!!?!?

Who in their right mind would possibly think that was a reasonable placement? Let me guess – a certain ranker thinks that if they beat a 5th ranked team in their zone play down to earn a provincial berth, they'll get that ranking at provincials. Disgraceful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:40 pm

@For Three

I highly doubt Wetaskiwin would jump up to 5 in the rankings if they win their zone although I do admit that the logic of that last ranking escapes me. But it is what it is. Now lets see who comes through when the pressure is on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3A final rankings   Today at 3:16 am

Back to top Go down

3A final rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1