HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2014-2015 Predictions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BallisLife6

PostSubject: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:42 pm

I realize the season has just come to a close, but does anyone have any predictions going into next years season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer24

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Top 5 teams in my opinion:
1. Canterbury
2. Hartland
3. Harvey
4. John Caldwell
5. Devon Park
What's your top five?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer24

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:56 pm

Grand manan at # 4 the. John Caldwell at 5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisLife6

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:57 pm

Well i don't follow much of A ball AAA for me is
1. Leo Hayes
2. FHS
3. KV
4.Riverview
5. Unsure
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballer24

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:58 pm

Leo Hayes do not lose any players, they have a great chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:06 pm

It is definitely too early to talk about these things.

At this point transfers, who returns to coach, injuries/recovery from play too big a factor.

Also this is the 3rd year of alignment issues/numbers so that the very least the NBIAA has to rejig the teams/ school size in three divisions at the other end of the spectrum you could in theory have a move to a total reshaping of divisions 2, 4 etc.

We don't even know yet for sure what teams would be in an A, AA, AAA league or those leagues will even exist as we know them.

Lots of time to talk about front runners once we know who and what we're talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:41 pm

AAA boys Fhs and Leo back toHarbour St
AAA girls look for FHS to return likely vs KV
AA girls Rothesay
AA boys CNHs and Woodstock rematch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:09 am

Brady12 I think you are missing the cow town crew in the girls AAA division.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 pm

Brady 12, you might want to do a bit of research on AAA girls. KV,FHS, BMHS, LHHS had a significant number of key players that were seniors. FHS is on the downward trend. Instead of 3-4 girls on every BNB age class team, they are only getting 1-2 girls max on the various age class teams. In fact their JV team did not even make it past the first round this year. May be a long while before they see Harbour Station.

I believe Sussex only graduated 2 girls. They had two girls in grade 9 who are both strong players (one in the Canadian Cadette Identification program). They also have a small army of girls in JV who would have been playing varsity in most programs around the province. They beat teams like FHS with a young team this year. They won the championship in JV. Have a bunch of girls moving up to varsity from JV to Varsity with only a couple seniors leaving. They have to be the top contender.

SJHS and MVHS also have very young teams and had several girls in grade 9 who played considerable minutes this year and will probably spend the summer playing BNB U15 and going to Nationals . Riverview was also playing with a small number of seniors this year.

And if BMHS plays the 1-3-1 and no coach steps up and puts some significant minutes in practice into cracking it, they will always be in the mix.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NBhoops

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:37 am

Think you are confused on FHS. They only lost 4 players and 2 played provincial. Out of the 7-8 returning players 5 played BNB last year. Most of the kids who will likely move up will be BNB also. They are good next year the it may be more difficult.

Sussex will be strong again next season as well as riverview. Agree with the rest said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:17 am

The one 2 things you need to keep in mind with any of these predictions in regards to AAA girls are:

1) Growing programs and moving teams forward tends to be more of a step by step process then leaps and bounds. Young teams that struggle to beat teams, tend to learn to compete with teams 1 year later, then the next find ways to win the next, etc. Same with playoffs. Qaulifying for sectionals and winning a sectional game are two different levels, as are winning a sectional final, and going to Harbour vs competing there. Even great coaches can talk about what those experiences are like but until kids are in them a time or two they don't always respond well.

LHHS and KV probably drop a little bit next year because most of their scoring at that level graduates. Sussex moves in and FHS is still strong. I get the obvious view that FHS isn't what they once were, but they still will have the majority of that team returning and 1-2 provincial team players still means a varsity team that has 5-8 provincial team players which is more then most other rosters can boast. BMHS, Riverivew and MHVS will still be strong in the NE. SJHS has a chance to overtake KV and slide into the 2nd spot in the south which should be enough to get them to at least a sectional.

2) Changing demogrpahics can impact leagues. If the AAA league is expanded or teams get moved into AAA then it impacts seasons. For instance if the AAA NE had to play two seperate schedules that hurts MVHS in terms of quality games they get. If a Woodstock, Rothesay or CN were back in AAA again then suddenly its not just LHHS and FHS you have to worry about in the W and the south gets that much deeper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:47 am

Thx for your opinion southwest, it just isn't one that I share. Fhs will have lots of players including girls from Jv team that went 39-0 2yrs ago. Do need to get coaching organized not certain they need 4 coaches, 3 from one family. I like Sussex, once they show me that they can win, not just compete, May like them more. Kv has good feeder school and I think Emma Jensen will be best in Nb. Bmhs with Bulman and co plus solid coaching will compete, not convinced Riverview will. Anyway time will tell and thx for the education
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 pm

39-0 as a JV stat is very misleading. It certainly means you had the best JV team that year and that was an impressive JV Team so no disrespect to them at all, but does not mean you had the best JV Eligible kids as a lot of them would have been in varsity that same year. I agree with Coach DJR to early for predictions but going to go there anyway.
Sussex is the early front runner no question they are ahead of the rest. After that in no particular order I see Riverview(only graduate 2 players), FHS( still a lot of talent), BMHS(May be a coaching change here as this coach has followed his daughter since mini and she graduates and good chance he is taking a break on top but still a good core there who know how to win the big game) I agree SJHS I think only loses one player and going to surprise a lot of people. KV I agree Emma Jensen a top player not sure on the supporting cast. Not saying they wont compete I just don't know that group as well. Same as Leo Hayes only saw them once last year. So to Recap 1. Sussex battling to meet them at HS. Riverview, BMHS, FHS and SJHS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:33 pm

39-0 these girls beat everyone in that age group and now many are playing varsity, some played significant minutes last year, they are good and if they continue to develop over summer will be solid. Also Fhs girls won back to back and 2 girls who played on last championship are still there. Never too early to predict what else is there until we can second guess Bnb, this summer all Nationals are in boys and girls u 15/17 Edmonton and I hear it is a NCAA sanctioned event meaning coaches from USA can watch, previously it was held in their quiet time and they could not attend, should be fun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm

That is where we disagree they did not beat everyone in that age group they beat every one in JV. That is the only point I am making.
That same year BMHS had players JV Eligible playing Varsity. KV the same thing. Riverview had 4 JV Eligible kids playing Varsity that year.
Not saying FHS will not be competitive next year just saying 39-0 in JV is not against the best JV aged kids it is against the kids who happened to play JV that year and there is a difference. The Year before that Riverview went something like 38-2 in JV and easily beat FHS but never read a lot into it because at the time JV eligible kids like Eva, Sarah McGeachy and Katie Daley were all playing varsity. So it was not comparing apples to apples. We do agree on this FHS will be in the mix again next year I 100% agree but I do not think they are going to duplicate their 39-0 JV year in Varsity as the other teams will have the same age equivalent lineups with Sussex being at the top of the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heatles

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 am

These are my top 4 teams that will compete with each other next year, no set standings just my guess on the top teams.

A
1.Harvey
2.Hartland
3.John Caldwell
4.Canterbury

AA
Not really sure where to go here, most teams are losing players.
1.Tantramar
2.Woodstock
3.Carleton North
4.Fundy?

AAA
1.Leo Hayes (Going to be a fun team to watch)
2.FHS (losing a few seniors but will still be decent)
3.Saint John
4.KV
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 pm

heatles wrote:
These are my top 4 teams that will compete with each other next year, no set standings just my guess on the top teams.

A
1.Harvey
2.Hartland
3.John Caldwell
4.Canterbury

AA
Not really sure where to go here, most teams are losing players.
1.Tantramar
2.Woodstock
3.Carleton North
4.Fundy?

AAA
1.Leo Hayes (Going to be a fun team to watch)
2.FHS (losing a few seniors but will still be decent)
3.Saint John
4.KV

Boys or girls?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heatles

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Sorry, that was for the boys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 Predictions   Today at 9:58 pm