HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Culture Questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Culture Questions   Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:03 am

Just a number of basketball culture questions I've been thinking about in regards to basketball in NB:

1 - Fan culture. I know that because its school sports things like fair play and sportsmanship have to be encouraged both in policy and practice. I think thats fine. However when I go watch high school sports or university sports in larger venues and centres the fans are much more passionate and engaged/exctiing then at most high school games in NB. Does cheering/chanting during free throws really show a lack or class/ respect or is it just building rivalry and competitive energy at a sporting event? Even at Harbour Station this year in the AAA finals kids are waving and screaming during free throws and at the AA and A finals people are calling each other out for making noise during them. Its not just the free throws. I get that crowds can't be aggressive and talking to or attacking verbally/physically kids on the floor and need to be respectful of the game and officials. But I would love to walk into more gyms like Woodstock, Friday night in GM,  Sussex during the Dairytown, or sectionals type atmosphere;s all the time. When generally i feel like I've walked into Middle School games being played by older kids where everyone's parents are cheering for their kid and their kids team, and the refs are engaged with banter with the crowd/players. Not sure how we get a more intense, professional?, big game, home crowd, hostile type like atmosphere in more gyms for more games.

2 - Official consistency/uniformity. I'm not going to rail against officials. Like anything you get a mixed bag and overall I thought most if not all officials we got this year called the same game from the jump ball to the final horn. That is really all I can ask of officials on a given night. I think I got vocally and demonstratively upset once this year and that was more an accumluation of ongoing issues game to game then it was that game. So I don't really have much beef with the offcials who walk into the gym on a given night. What I do find frustrating is overall officiating in NB's seeming inability to agree concepts like  what constitutes game management, levels of contact that are excessive, footwork, etc. You walk into some gyms and game management means officiating the game in front of you to try to allow both teams to compete, in others it means calling any and everything so the game never gets hotly contested or contact ever reaches a competitive edge, in others again it means letting anything you can avoid calling go to keep the game going and the best players on the floor. You walk in and some officials tell you they are going to do there best to keep kids in the game (its called like that), others will tell you they don't want kids reaching at all and they then expect the kids to adjust (and its called like that). I'm actually pretty ok with whatever definition is applied so long as I don't have to guess night to night and train my kids to play multiple ways. I get that things like defensive/offensive contact can have differing results on the  impact of the play so it has to be a judgement call, but things like travels, unsporting acts, excessive types contact leading to rough play seem to me to be things you can just have a universal standard for. Again I really can't think of an instance where any official or pair of officals we had in a game did a disservice, but we do have games with even the same two teams involved playing the same way that take 1:15 minutes to play and over 2 hours. I have players playing the same way that get warned for being dirty or get called for unsporting fouls some nights and for the exact same behaviour get compliments directed towards me and them for playing tough and teaching kids to play hard. Even at Harbour station you noticed distinct differences in how physical games were allowed to get and how much players were allowed to sort things out on their own vs being asked to adjust to officiating.

3 - Feeder programs. I don't understand how places like KV, Fredericton, Woodstock, etc can have successful minor programs and middle school programs that clearly feed high schools programs with the sort of players that they want, but then programs in Saint John/Moncton can have great minor programs and middle school programs but can't seem to get them organized or tied into high school programs. I get the students and parents get to choose move etc, but it would seem really easy to me to get high school coaches/middle school coaches tied into a specfic region or organization and have kids working towards coming to play in their area or for that coach at some point.

4 - Decline in coach communication. I haven't got the data from the Gale Jeffrey site but I think I can safely say that less coaches then in previous years are communicating scores, games, touraments or setting up schedules using those services then in the past. The coaches association meetings are normally only 10 -15 people many familiar faces. I just wonder if there are ways to encourage mroe coaches to use these services, schedule and communicate scores together, help grow the game/sport collaboratively as opposed to working on our own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Culture Questions   Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:02 pm

With regards to 3, places like Woodstock (1 High School), Fredericton (1 High School per association) and KV (2 High Schools) have an easier time staying competitive than Moncton/SJ.

You didn't mention Riverview but since I'm from there I'll use us as an example. 9 times out of 10, the same group of kids who play together in mini are playing with pretty much the same kids 6-7 years later in Varsity which builds chemistry and trust in each other.

When you look at Moncton schools, I'm watching Varsity/JV games and seeing kids I never saw playing on Moncton Bantam teams. Not saying everyone has to play mini/bantam with associations but there's normally where players get their exposure to competitive basketball.

#4, I coach minor ball and I check the BNB daily to see if other teams have posted scores, sometimes weeks go by until anyone posts a score. Meanwhile when I have a game finished I'm on their website posting scores. I completely agree there isn't as much communication as there should be between coaches (in the same regions and province wide).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Culture Questions   Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Coach.Red wrote:
With regards to 3, places like Woodstock (1 High School), Fredericton (1 High School per association) and KV (2 High Schools) have an easier time staying competitive than Moncton/SJ.

You didn't mention Riverview but since I'm from there I'll use us as an example. 9 times out of 10, the same group of kids who play together in mini are playing with pretty much the same kids 6-7 years later in Varsity which builds chemistry and trust in each other.

When you look at Moncton schools, I'm watching Varsity/JV games and seeing kids I never saw playing on Moncton Bantam teams. Not saying everyone has to play mini/bantam with associations but there's normally where players get their exposure to competitive basketball.

#4, I coach minor ball and I check the BNB daily to see if other teams have posted scores, sometimes weeks go by until anyone posts a score. Meanwhile when I have a game finished I'm on their website posting scores. I completely agree there isn't as much communication as there should be between coaches (in the same regions and province wide).

I agree the 1 school/2 schools per association is much easier organizationally as those schools just get those players regardless. I guess Moncton is more difficult with only 1 association, but with a pace like SJ it has ESJ, Lancaster, River Valley, etc. Its got 3-4 really strong minor systems in place and basically 4 high schools. It would seem real easy for an association or region to create an associaion that dealt with 1 set of entrappment area kids and followed them through the same way. The long term goal of the Woodstock kids, and Rvierview kids etc. is to eventually play on those high school teams. I guess in the Moncton area and SJ areas schools its not the same focus. Just seems like those larger centres with mulitple schools and associations could be stronger if the feeder programs and those area schools became connected. And to be fair I'm not sure if that's on the local schools and coaches or if thats on the associations wanting that seperation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Culture Questions   Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:18 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:

I agree the 1 school/2 schools per association is much easier organizationally as those schools just get those players regardless. I guess Moncton is more difficult with only 1 association, but with a pace like SJ it has ESJ, Lancaster, River Valley, etc. Its got 3-4 really strong minor systems in place and basically 4 high schools. It would seem real easy for an association or region to create an associaion that dealt with 1 set of entrappment area kids and followed them through the same way. The long term goal of the Woodstock kids, and Rvierview kids etc. is to eventually play on those high school teams. I guess in the Moncton area and SJ areas schools its not the same focus. Just seems like those larger centres with mulitple schools and associations could be stronger if the feeder programs and those area schools became connected. And to be fair I'm not sure if that's on the local schools and coaches or if thats on the associations wanting that seperation.

Residency has been a hot topic at least for the 4 years I've been coaching. Kids go and play for who's good rather than their own association. Northside Fredericton had to cancel their bantam program one year because half their kids went to play for YCBC Capitals (Freddy South).

When I played about 10 years ago for RMBA, we had 3 teams per age group, per gender. Now we're lucky to scrap together enough kids for a B team. Now in Riverview having 2 teams going is great, that's 22 kids per gender playing in each age group, which is more than enough to sustain our high school program. For Moncton however, they've only had an A and B team for the last 3 years (this year they have 1 A and 2 B teams) which makes it tough to feed 4 schools with only 22 kids. Hopefully they are able to sustain having 1 A and 2 B teams for the next few years as that's another 11 or 12 kids playing basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Culture Questions   Today at 3:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Culture Questions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1