HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2010 Girls provincials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rareair

PostSubject: 2010 Girls provincials   Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:29 pm

Thought I would start a new thread for the girls provincials. I am mostly aware of the 4A, so if anyone has information on the others please add.
Teams qualified-
St. Francis
Centennial
St. Mary's
Western
Harry Ainlay
Spruce Grove
Archbishop O'leary
Jasper Place
Raymond
Cardston
LCI
Medicine Hat

I am not sure of the other 4 teams, but they will come from Red Deer, South Central Zone, North east, and North west. The draw will be done tomorrow and posted Monday I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:10 am

i'd like to see another spruce grove/ainley match up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:38 am

Ok girls what are your predictions?
I predict no upsets in the first round. Maybe a couple of upsets the second round. I thought the seeding was pretty well done.
As for anyone knocking off Ainlay, I dont think so. Lets watch the battles to get there, should be good. Raymond is going to have to rebound from their zone loss to Cardston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:00 am

Heres my analysis (guess..) of the top 8

1) Ainlay
2) Spruce Grove
3) Cardston (home team advantage over O'L)
4) O'Leary (if injuries can be overcome to beat Raymond for the 4th time this season otherwise O'L heads down to 7 )
5) LCI (home team advantage)
6)St Marys
7)St Francis
8)Raymond

Always wonder why losing the second game on the A side sends 4 top 8 seeds to battle for 7th & 8th when the first round losers on the B side (likely all or 7of 8 of the bottom seeds) can play for 5th & 6th. Sure they go 3-1 but the competition is weak.

-Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:46 am

What injuries do O leary need to overcome. Also, LCI has some major injuries from this weekend they will have to overcome.
Also ,I have to agree about placings in the tournament, how can you lose your 1st game and play for 5th and 6th when the top 8 teams just moved to the other side of the tournament?
Even if you finish 3 and 1, who did you beat? Not a single top 8 team, on the other hand the team who finishes "7 th" went 3 and 1 also. But they had to beat 2 top 8 teams to get there, looks like a no brainer to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SlowPoke

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Lycurgus1011 wrote:

Always wonder why losing the second game on the A side sends 4 top 8 seeds to battle for 7th & 8th when the first round losers on the B side (likely all or 7of 8 of the bottom seeds) can play for 5th & 6th. Sure they go 3-1 but the competition is weak.

-Gus

Has been an issue for ever. So here's the rub. AOL and Ray will battle in the second round and St.F and Card as well. The best the loser of those games can do is 7th. That is your 3rd through 6th top teams. However, Cent or LCI and JP or St.M will cruise on to battle for the 5th/6th place. That is your 7th through 10th place teams. Which ever of these team wins the first game will not fair well in the second game, making the best they can do is 9th or 10th. I don't think any team will lose intentionally but you have to admit that with little chance of going past the 2nd round, having a chance at 5th by losing the first game sound pretty good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Well it was an great tournament despite a predictable 1 - 2 end result.
I suspect the Raymond fans had the most excitement having watched 2 one point wins. I knew they'd play tough against O'Leary and would work to get #12 into foul trouble asap. The lead changed hands back & forth through all four quarters and in the end Raymond was on top by one. O'Leary injuries (#5 fractured foot early March, #12 separated shoulder end of Feb, #22 sprained ankle) were a factor, but not an excuse for losing to Raymond who played strong. I didn't see Raymonds third game but I'm sure it was a classic showdown versus Cardston.

(Southfan - you didnt expect me to spell out the injuries before the games did you? Smile )

The O'Leary girls were disappointed in the loss but bounced back to beat Centennial by 4 in another close game. Saturdays noon game against St FX was lopsided. I expected more from Calgarys top seed.
Anyway, theres always next year. Spartan Ladies will be back almost intact as they've only one senior graduating out.

-Gus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:17 am

Well Gus I tryed!
Ya! Another great year!
O leary will be tough next year! Will they keep the 11's or get rid of them like they have in the past and start with a new group!
Congrats on a great season girls!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballspirit

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm

Interesting point Southfan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:15 am

AFAIK only the one Senior won't be back :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:59 pm

sorry for being abbrev. illiterate! What the heck does that mean? :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lycurgus1011

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:43 am

AFAIK = As Far As I Know
I bet you don't text either...

Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2010 Girls provincials   Today at 7:28 pm

Back to top Go down