HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Provincials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Old & Grey

PostSubject: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:42 pm

So the field is set....let's hear about the Medicine Hat's win in the South final as well as Bishop McNally's victory in Calgary. Good games?

Any predictions on the seeds for Provs and when do they get released?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big red

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:52 pm

From an interested third party observer that wanted a Med Hat win, this is what I saw.

Med Hat played a complete game and contributions came from all the usual suspects if the Sparks kid doesn't win the south MVP I would be sorely disappointed..

They are a consistently good shooting team that defended well, and forced a bad game out of Gibb/Westrop who probably combined for no more than 12 or 15 points. I can't comment much more on Med hat other than that cause they are so far out there I just don't see them play much

Whether Gibb folded like a previous poster mentioned I can't say but I think he did shoot un characteristically bad. Westrop also struggled with Med Hat height and size. It seemed like he couldn't "create" his usual space like he does against the rest of the South leagues smaller defenders. Overwater however almost seemed to get his will against Med Hat, his ability last night in getting to the rim, outside shooting, and rebounding were the only things that kept LCI as close as they were. He most likely had some where north of 30.

I will say that if Med Hat plays next week like they did last night they will be stiff competition for anybody. Having seen Ross Shep, Harry Ainley, Bev Facey and McNally play this year, I also dare say that there will be another provincial banner hanging in a south gym after next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 pm

I must say that I am slightly bias as an Ainlay follower but i would strongle disagree with you big red. This Ainlay team in legit. they have the best shooter in alberta if not western canada in Andriy, a complete beast in Aher (his progression this year is really something, comparatively speaking from reb to city finals there isnt much competition), Marvin has gained a ton of experience with Barento being out, Devon is back and shooting well, Awaks inconsistency is a bit of a question mark but whne he is there they are untouchable.. I might add Barento is back! This team took down oleary by 15 without him what will they do with him?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:11 pm

Ainlay takes the provincial title. I just don't see anyone matching up. Thought O'Leary could but no. Hoped Med Hat could but I don't see it happening. McNally has the best player in Alberta but it won't be enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old & Grey

PostSubject: Seeds????   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:25 pm

1) Ainlay
2) Med Hat
3) O'Leary
4) Bishop McNally
5) Facey
6) LCI
7) Ross Shep
Cool Father Lacombe

Thoughts?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
localhoopfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Missed the Calgary final but have heard (and seen on Facebook!) it was a great game and an even better scene. Packed house, McNally guard hit a 3 with 1 second left to send it to OT and ended up with a 96-91 win over Lacombe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:13 pm

The Stage is set. Any Predictions?

1.Harry Ainlay
16.Grand Prairie

8.LCI
9.Ernest Manning

5.Bev Facey
12.Foothills

4.Medicine Hat
13.Cresent Heights

2.O'Leary
15.Lloydminister

7.Father Lacombe
10.Cardston

6.Ross Sheppard
11.Magrath

3.Bishop McNally
14.Hunting Hills

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:06 pm

Looking forward to a great provincial tourney and I expect quite a bit of parody. First round, I think manning can upset LCI but that one could go either way. Cardston and Lacombe should be a good game with lots of speed. Cardston has the potential to upset lacombe but again should be a tough game either way. Ross Shep should beat magrath but magrath does have potential to win this game in their own gym with their own fans. Should be a fun one. I don't see any other upsets happening. Hat high looked quite good against LCI in the south zone final and they appear to have a team that could go deep it's just too bad ainlay is on their side cause that would've been a good final. The way hat finished the season I'm a bit surprised they stayed at 4 but McNally and o Leary are obviously contenders as well. Should be a great tourney.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big red

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:00 pm

I guess we shall see Friday night
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:40 pm

i think a lot of people are underestimating lloydminster they are a very talented team that has gone under the radar because they have not been in any high profile tournaments but they have 4 absolute studs who are in the top 10 players in the province just nobody has seen them play, they will have more than one upset this weekend and make a run for the title, watch out. you heard it here first!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 pm

I think there is 1 team in the tournament they could beat which puts their seeding placement about right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GT3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 pm

12345….as awesome as that would be to have the #15 seed knock off #2 seed and make a "run for the title". I really hope that post was a joke, because that is not realistic at all. 4 players in the top 10? C'mon thats ridiculous! Thats all I'm gonna say about that. Hahaha.

My Predictions for this Weekend.

1st Round

HA Stomps Grand Prairie
LCI over Ernest Manning

Bev Facey over Foothills
Medicine Hat over Crescent Heights

O'Leary Stomps Lloydminister Wink
Cardston over Father Lacombe - Cardston Fans will be packed in the Gym that is only 20 minutes away. And they will be very Loud and annoying as they usually are, which will give Cardston the edge.

Magrath over Ross Sheppard - This one is very risky. But Magrath will have a HUGE advantage with the atmosphere that their home town fans will create. Not to mention they are a very solid team and have the capabilities of knocking off any opponent. They lost to Medicine Hat by 1 in the last seconds of their final Home game, and have other solid performances. But whichever way this game goes it won't be a walk for either team. I expect this to be the best game of the 1st Round.

McNally over HH

Q-Finals

HA over LCI - LCI will come to play but it won't be enough for the best team in the Province

Medicine Hat over Bev Facey - will be a tough, physical game. They match up well, Big, strong posts and quick guards that can shoot. But the Hat will come out ontop.

O'Leary over Cardston - O'Leary is just too good and will knock off the Defending Provincial Champions.

McNally over Magrath - Once again Magrath will have the overwhelming Home Court Advantage. And it will be a very good game. Could go either way depending on who wants it more.

Semis

Medicine Hat Upsets Harry Ainlay - After Watching Medicine Hat win the Zone final. There is no team that is as unselfish, talented, deep, and well coached as they are. They are both quick and Strong. They can shoot the lights out from beyond the Three point line and they all work their butts off for rebounds. Ainlay is also a very good team. But I'm betting on the Mohawks to win.

Bishop McNally Over O'Leary - Tough one to call, I honestly don't know who would win this one so I just flipped a coin.

FINAL

Medicine Hat Prevails over Bishop McNally - The Banner will be stay in the South for the 4th Year in a row and 5th time in 6. Medicine Hat is just too good. And they have very IN YOUR FACE fans that will throw weak minded players off their game.

I'd love to hear some more predictions on this. The Province is a toss up and it gonna depend on who shows up to play. Cant wait for this weekend! will be exciting Basketball!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Quarter Finals
Harry Ainlay over LCI
Medicine Hat over Bev Facey
O'Leary over Cardston
Magrath over Bishop McNally

Semi Finals
Medicine Hat over Harry Ainlay
O'Leary over Magrath

Finals
Medicine Hat over O'Leary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 am

I will give it a whirl. Edmonton dominance continues:
Ainlay
LCI

Facey
Med Hat

Oleary
Cardston

Shep
Bishop McNally

Then:

A inlay
Facey

Oleary
Shep

Final:

Ainlay over oleary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:08 pm

I know many will disagree with me but I think as a whole the Edmonton zone was over ranked going into provincials. I understand it's not an exact science and it is difficult to know who is going to show up and perform at provincials and who isn't. I would say facey looked like a very weak 5 seed and o Leary was definitely not a clear number 2 based on a near loss to number 10 Cardston and the hat high lopsided victory over Ross shep in the bronze game. In my opinion, and I'm not from med hat, but med hat should have been the number 2 or 3 seed. I don't know who they played and who they won or lost against outside of their zone but I think they would have gone to the final if they had been on the opposite side of ainlay. Med hat is better than o Leary. I believe they lost to them in December. December games in this league mean next to nothing. Rankers need to consider that in my opinion. Lci was also under ranked I think. They lost big in their zone final but against a very good team in med hat. They played ainlay close, and their victory over facey looked like a bit of a walk in the park as they used players that routinely sit the bench for a full 40 minutes in tough games. Lci wasn't afraid to roll their players against a very average looking facey team. Lacombe ended up getting beat by the 10 seed, and the 9 seed then Lci was the 8 seed with lacombe at 7? Either they underperformed big time or rankers just missed that boat completely. Oh well it was a fun tourney to watch, obviously this is bias but I would have liked to see a south team in the final. I think most will agree that hat is better than o Leary but now if they go out and win tonight against ainlay then I guess ill shut my mouth. I expect ainlay to be victorious in any case so I suppose it doesn't matter who the opponent is cause no one remembers second place anyway. Ainlay was the best team this year and I expect they'll prove that once again tonight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stopnpop

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:10 am

I would have to agree Ball456. The south definitely looked strong this weekend. Med Hat is a very strong team. They are the most unselfish team I've ever witnessed! The Sparkes kid is a fantastic player and a great leader. Ainlay had a lot of fear in their eyes as Med Hat lead that game right until the end last night. LCI has a couple of studs in Overwater and Westrop and have been a real force. What can you say about Cardston. Even though they lacked size this year they played a great system and were all heart. No quit in Cardston basketball. Hats off to Ainlay for a great weekend and provincial title. They were the best team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:32 am

Edmonton finishes 1, 2 and 4. Don't know how they could be considered over ranked?

Edmonton's 4 teams go 10 and 4

South's 4 teams go 8 and 6

Calgary's teams go 7 and 7

Med Hat gives up 100 in a provincial semifinal loses to Ainlay by 7
Oleary gives up 82 in a provincial final loses to Ainlay by 11.

I think Edmonton was the strongest zone and south a distant 2nd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:46 am

2 of Edmonton zones wins came against Grand Prairie and lloydminster. No offense to them but most strong Jv teams in the province could beat those two teams so I'm not sure we should be factoring in those wins to calculate strength. Med hat did give up 100 in the semi but only giving up 82 doesn't make o Leary better. Hat also scored 93 on ainlay while o Leary managed 71...o Leary managed to get by shep by putting up 65 while med hat put up 90 on them also. Still no explanation why facey was ranked 5 though. Again, Lci and hat were the two best south teams and shouldn't have been on the same side. It was fairly clear I think that ainlay was going to win that side. I maintain that either Lci or med hat would have won the bottom side of the bracket and been in the final against ainlay. Ultimately it doesn't matter cause ainlay was the best and they won. But to say the south was a distant second is a far cry from the truth. Both Lci and med hat put up a stronger game against ainlay than o Leary did in the final or in the Edmonton city championship. I'm not trying to take anything away from o Leary, they are a very good team also but they wouldn't have been in the final if they had to go through either of Lci or med hat. In any case, congrats to all teams and players and to Ainlay on a hard earned victory beating 3 very good teams to take the title. I really believe the field was 10 deep and this makes it really tough to give an accurate ranking going in. There were some great games that were very fun as a fan to watch. How wild was that finish between Shep and McNally? Great basketball this weekend Can't wait till next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:12 am

Edmonton only had 2 losses to teams outside there zone.

Because 2 of there losses were vs. each other.

I think Med Hat was a legitimate bronze medallist but I don't see LCI as better than Shep or Oleary.

LCI had so many losses this year (12 total) 2 to Magrath, 1 to Shep, 2 to Sir Winston Churchill, 1 to Harry Ainlay, 3 to Medicine Hat, 1 to Bishop McNally and 1 to Cardston.

Shep had 8 losses this year 3 to Oleary, 1 to Ainlay, 1 to St. FX, 1 to Cardston, 1 to Facey, 1 to Med Hat

Med Hat had 4 losses 1 to Oleary, Bishop McNally, Jasper Place and Harry Ainlay

Oleary had 3 losses this year all to Ainlay.

Ainlay had 2 losses one to LCI 1 to Ross Shep

Here are my final rankings:
1- Ainlay
2- Oleary
3- Med Hat
4- Shep
5- LCI
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:28 am

You're kidding right ?

Edmonton is
By far the most
Dominant zone in the province

Lci was not very strong at all

Very weak guard play

Medicine Hat is good
But they did lose to bishop McNally and oleary this year

Regardless of when it was

They were loses - not wins

Oleary didn't lose a game all year to anyone except the provincial champ - so I don't know how it could be said that they aren't #2

Med hat win over shep wasn't as "convincing " as everyone makes it appear

Sheps best player was fouled out when it was A 4 pt game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:30 am

Facey didn't have a great provincials

Cardston played great vs lacombe and oleary

They weren't same after depressing loss vs oleary

Lci

Was ok

Bishop McNally was up and down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooker12

PostSubject: Ernest Manning   Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 am

Ernest Manning won the consolation final. Why didn't Ross Crichton play during the weekend? Isn't he a legit 6-7 and their best player. Would he have helped them get a better result.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:36 pm

I'm not sure why Sheps best player fouling out means it wasn't a convincing win. Ummm fouls are a part of the game. Something tells me he wouldn't have fouled out against a weaker opponent. I'll concede that Lci has losses that are too great to justify moving them up into the top group. Maybe 8 was appropriate based on how their season went, but I think most would have agreed that Lci would probably end up better than lacombe or facey. But yes they had a lot of losses. I still think med hat would have beat o Leary in this tourney. If they couldn't be ranked ahead of them because of earlier losses then well that's fine but after watching all these teams play my opinion is that med hat is a better team than o Leary. There needs to be a stronger emphasis on late season performance if possible. For example last year Lci wasn't given a sniff at a 1 seed until they beat cardston in the zone final, the rankers had to make them 1 and cardston 2. I think most people still thought cardston was the better team having beat Lci 3 or 4 other times that season, but it's about performance heading into zones. Tough to tell between zones yes and I'm happy to concede that overall record and head to head means that o Leary has to be ahead of hat, but I just think it's short sighted to simply say that Edmonton was miles ahead of the south this year because there were many close games and Edmonton teams, including ainlay certainly didn't walk away with anything. O Leary barely barely beat cardston and the hat had ainlay pretty dang worried for much of their game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:07 pm

The placings were indicative of the year, not just the tournament. Clearly Harry Ainlay was the best team and deserve the championship banner. I have to eat my words at the beginning of the season when I said that grade 10s wouldn't have that big of an impact. Those 2 Ainlay players did have an impact. Considering that they'll be back for 2 more years means good things for that program.

The fact that Med Hat had to play Ainlay in the semi final may have cost them a silver rather than a bronze but their seeding was based on what they did over the course of the year. Bottom line is that Olearly had a great start and deserved the #2. The ranking system is flawed in many ways but its as good as its going to get. The same goes for LCI who lost Overwater for a big chunk of the season and dropped to the point where they had to play Ainlay early. They were better off dropping further and getting on the opposite side.

Between the 3A at WC and the 4A games, it was a great weekend of basketball for southern alberta. The organizers did an amazing job. I wish we could have these 2 tournaments here every year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steamrolled

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Also you can't just say Medicine Hat deserved 2 seed or 3 seed
They lost to BOTH
And I repeat BOTH Oleary and McNally

So why would you say they are "better " because of losing to them ?

Because of barely losing to ainlay ? Well that's still a loss in my books
Because oleary "barely" beat cardston ? That's still a win in my books ?

Why don't you mention med hat "barely" beating

Cardston in OT? That sounds pretty close to me ?
How bout their nail bitters against those powerhouse magrath and chinook teams ?

How about that awesome game vs catholic central where they won by like 7
And catholic central was terrible

Bottom line

Medicine Hat had like 5-6 losses this year to a variety of teams in Alberta (from top teams to unranked teams - like Jp ) so 3rd is very good for them

Oleary 2nd very good year for them
Only loss to ainlay (who is #1)

Ainlay is just the strongest team and rightfully at #1

Shep rightfully at 4
Lci is not better than them
Shep beat them WITHOUT their post #14

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Today at 3:19 pm

Back to top Go down

4A Provincials