HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top 10 teams for next year

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Bigdawg2013

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Rumour has it, Bennet Boires back in BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bigdawg2013

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:10 am

Looks like Yale will be in the top 10 this year with JBB. It's official!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoopfan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:16 am

Isn't he at holy Cross?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bigdawg2013

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:27 am

I was told his family moved back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sirslamalot

PostSubject: JBB   Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:56 am

Are there not rules about where you can play your senior year if you are switching schools? I know he could go back to Holy Cross, but can he just switch without going through the BC school eligibility system? If he can just switch, then a lot of players would have played their senior year elsewhere. Also, is the time frame not too close. Just asking? Anybody in the "know" have any answers?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bigdawg2013

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:51 am

You have to play in the area where you live. I believe he went to Yale for both grade 9 and 10. I found out his family moved back to that neighbourhood. He should be eligible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sirslamalot

PostSubject: Eligibility   Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:30 am

Bigdawg2013 wrote:
You have to play in the area where you live.  I believe he went to Yale for both grade 9 and 10. I found out his family moved back to that neighbourhood. He should be eligible.

Years ago, my son was going to a private school and wanted to switch to the public school in our area. We lived in the catchment area of the public school and had for years. We still had to fill out forms and have it go before the BC School Sports board before he could play. The rules seem quite complex.
I wish him luck and he will succeed no matter where he plays
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:31 am

I thought JBB could not play at Yale (a couple of years back) and that is why he moved - perhaps something has changed. JBB and Kongbo chose to transfer to HC last year in large part because they thought that would give them best chance to win championship. HC still very good but not as strong this year as they lost all of their height and Kongbo. Optics are never good when bouncing from team to team but should wait for confirmation and facts to be assessed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sirslamalot

PostSubject: Yale   Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 am

PressThis wrote:
I thought JBB could not play at Yale (a couple of years back) and that is why he moved - perhaps something has changed. JBB and Kongbo chose to transfer to HC last year in large part because they thought that would give them best chance to win championship.  HC still very good but not as strong this year as they lost all of their height and Kongbo.   Optics are never good when bouncing from team to team but should wait for confirmation and facts to be assessed.      

He is enrolled at Yale for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldschoolball23

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:13 pm

How good do you think yale is now with the addition of JBB?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sirslamalot

PostSubject: How will Yale do?   Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:40 pm

oldschoolball23 wrote:

I think not well. They are pretty one dimensional, both guards JBB and Briach are scorers only, they have no inside game, only two seniors, maybe three. The coaching is suspect. JBB had a big team and a lot of talent at HC and could not win.
He seems to go to a different prep school each year and nothing ever comes of it. They will be a better scoring team with him, but there is a shortage of playmakers. Last year they had a small blonde kid in juniors who I saw play provincial ball a couple of years back who can pass and a big kid who played juniors and seniors last year, but they are thin for depth.
I do not see them getting out of the valley. I just go to games to watch, I have no vested interest because I do not have kids that play.
Watch out for Mouat, they will be better this year, more balance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bigdawg2013

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:57 am

If you think JBB has no inside game, you have not really watched him play. When it comes time for provincials, make sure you have a front row seat so you can get a good look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sirslamalot

PostSubject: Game   Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 am

Bigdawg2013 wrote:
If you think JBB has no inside game, you have not really watched him play. When it comes time for provincials, make sure you have a front row seat so you can get a good look.

I saw him play every game at Yale and most at HC. I never said he dud not have an inside game, but that he is not a playmaker, but a scorer. He wont make provincials with Yale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller2sk

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Sirslamalot wrote:
oldschoolball23 wrote:

I think not well. They are pretty one dimensional, both guards JBB and Briach are scorers only, they have no inside game, only two seniors, maybe three. The coaching is suspect. JBB had a big team and a lot of talent at HC and could not win.  
He seems to go to a different prep school each year and nothing ever comes of it. They will be a better scoring team with him, but there is a shortage of playmakers. Last year they had a small blonde kid in juniors who I saw play provincial ball a couple of years back who can pass and a big kid who played juniors and seniors last year, but they are thin for depth.
I do not see them getting out of the valley. I just go to games to watch, I have no vested interest because I do not have kids that play.
Watch out for Mouat, they will be better this year, more balance.
One of my favourite posts of all time!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth2.0

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:00 pm

With a great season closing and the weather warming up you have to think the grade 11s of this years class are wanting to get better for their senior year. I know it is a little early but lets spark up the debate! After all, basketball is a 12 month sport. Im going to take a crack at it and crown the AAAA Island and Provincial Championship to the Kelowna Owls. This has to be the best Kelowna team I have ever seen. They were VERY underrated coming into this year and I would invest all of my money into them. Their will not be a team that gives them any trouble sleeping at night next year. Anyone care to differ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:15 pm

JesusShuttlesworth2.0 wrote:
With a great season closing and the weather warming up you have to think the grade 11s of this years class are wanting to get better for their senior year. I know it is a little early but lets spark up the debate! After all, basketball is a 12 month sport. Im going to take a crack at it and crown the AAAA Island and Provincial Championship to the Kelowna Owls. This has to be the best Kelowna team I have ever seen. They were VERY underrated coming into this year and I would invest all of my money into them. Their will not be a team that gives them any trouble sleeping at night next year. Anyone care to differ?

FYI, Kelowna cannot be the AAAA Island champion since they are from the Okanagan and NOT the Island and IMO the 2011/2012 Kelowna Owls team was the best KSS team I've seen, had better top end talent (Goodwin and Bunce were better than any player on the current KSS roster) than this years KSS team, not arguing they're not the team to beat next season but the fact that this KSS team is the best in recent memory.

**Also "JesusShuttlesworth2.0" is NOT my account, no posts written under that username are from me or connected with me whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Just to get things straight, it's always good to see support for the OKanagan teams(jesusshuttlesworth2). There is so many talented AAAA teams in BC, we need to get as many supporters believing in an Okanagan team.

And want to let real Jesusshuttleworth that the OKanagan did in fact annex the Island schools just last week. So now the Owls can win the Provincials and Island Championships.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth2.0

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:57 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

FYI, Kelowna cannot be the AAAA Island champion since they are from the Okanagan and NOT the Island and IMO the 2011/2012 Kelowna Owls team was the best KSS team I've seen, had better top end talent (Goodwin and Bunce were better than any player on the current KSS roster) than this years KSS team, not arguing they're not the team to beat next season but the fact that this KSS team is the best in recent memory.

**Also "JesusShuttlesworth2.0" is NOT my account, no posts written under that username are from me or connected with me whatsoever.

If my memory is correct, the Bunce and Goodwin duo lost in the quarter finals in their final year. Two terrific players in their own, no doubt, but any basketball mind would see that this Kelowna team is much better. Their guard play is unmatched and their big man will be the best in big man in the province for the next two years. They could be a very good team for the next two years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVRox

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:40 pm

I have to partially agree with 2.0, Sheppard will be much better than Bunce, but Mitch Goodwin might have been the best guard in BC (at that time). The 4 guard combo led by Simson & Lafontaine is indeed unmatched, & better overall than the 2012 KSS group.

I like the 2015-16 version.

Even with the 3 SWC stars, & the evolving Walnut Grove group, they'll (KSS) be hard to beat. Although it's still 7 months to the start of the season, WGSS seems to have been very lucky the last few years with pretty good players transferring into their catchment. Mayorga (2013- ONT), Rowell (2014 - from MEI), & possibly Cowley (2015 - Delta...?).

Maybe their "luck" will continue:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:49 pm

KSS is the favorite next year by the large majority including myself, a great team with depth and very good at all positions on the court, Sheppard is a good C prospect but too soon to say he'll be better than Bunce who was dominant, I personally think Cowley is the best C prospect in HS ball ahead of Sheppard who is great in his own right. KSS guards also very good and have good depth but don't sleep on some other excellent backcourts at Churchill, Kitsilano, Tamanawis, Walnut Grove, Oak Bay, Holy Cross, St. George's all teams with backcourts just as good as KSS on any given night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunnyok

PostSubject: KSS guards and depth   Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 pm

I need to chime in, there is so Much skill,depth and overall talent with KSS next yr is crazy. The jr group moving up to compliment is so much more talented than the gr12 group that they replaceable as gr 10s.
No need to compare players of past, this current squad of players are very deep from the 2012 yr. In every aspect of the game.

bunce and Goodwin were awesome. But this group will have 6-8 Elite players to support each other

Not to say there are other talented programs in the province. Just to speak of this KSS group.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth2.0

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:14 pm

KSS is the favorite next year by the large majority including myself, a great team with depth and very good at all positions on the court, Sheppard is a good C prospect but too soon to say he'll be better than Bunce who was dominant, I personally think Cowley is the best C prospect in HS ball ahead of Sheppard who is great in his own right. KSS guards also very good and have good depth but don't sleep on some other excellent backcourts at Churchill, Kitsilano, Tamanawis, Walnut Grove, Oak Bay, Holy Cross, St. George's all teams with backcourts just as good as KSS on any given night.

I have been a fan of this site for a long while. With all of the many people who post absurd things, I still come back to read. JesusShuttlesworth -- You are terrific at getting the scores of games out to the Basketball BC community but many of the predictions you have made are abysmal! I think it is time to stop defending Holy Cross. Even with one of the top twenty-five players in BC in Taylor Browne they still failed to make AAAA provincials. Holy Cross should move down to a lower tier while they still are able. The two teams you mentioned that are worth the mention are Walnut Grove and Tamanawis in regard to guard play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:28 pm

I have been a fan of this site for a long while. With all of the many people who post absurd things, I still come back to read. JesusShuttlesworth -- You are terrific at getting the scores of games out to the Basketball BC community but many of the predictions you have made are abysmal! I think it is time to stop defending Holy Cross. Even with one of the top twenty-five players in BC in Taylor Browne they still failed to make AAAA provincials. Holy Cross should move down to a lower tier while they still are able. The two teams you mentioned that are worth the mention are Walnut Grove and Tamanawis in regard to guard play.

Churchill has Pajayon and Virk, Kits has Bayne and Lizdek, Tammy has Tomley and Dulay, Grove has Rowell and Woods, OB has Touchie and Blumenshein, HC has Asperin and Konn, Saints has Dewar and Graham all Teams ranked in the Top 8 of Howards Pre-Pre Season Top 10, not just my opinion, but also the opinion of BCs most renowned HS journalist, seriously "2.0" how many times have you seen these other backcourts play? I can say I've seen them all play well over a dozen times, and on any given night there play can win games outright no matter the opponent.

I'm open to talking hoops with anyone, always have been and I'm at almost every gym in the Lower Mainalnd and Fraser Valley during the HS season to watch hoops and talk basketball with anyone willing, but I don't like people who hide behind a computer and ratchet off negative talk and try to belittle teams without a face to back it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVRox

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:17 pm

My first thought is we all should appreciate the work JesusShuttlesworth does for this forum, & his twitter feed. Without his updates, & insight - this forum would slowly whither away. Everyone has opinions, their favorites, & in some cases their own agenda for being part of these discussions. Let's just respect each others opinions. Let's also try to be positive & know some of these kids are likely listening in.

PS I thought Taylor Browne & HC did well considering all the new (& very young) players. I would also say Taylor is a top 5 player in BC (not Top 25). Maybe HC was a little over-rated in the rankings, but it's not easy in the FV.

Back to the guard discussion, for most of the teams (& names) the original Jesus listed, there is one thing in common. LOTS of underclassmen.

Rowell, Touchie, Lizdek, Dewar, Tomley are all going into Gr 10 or 11 (I think). Whereas all 4 KSS guards are seniors. The one SR guard outside of KSS that stands out to me is Lambert Pajayon from SWC. I really don't think he gets the credit he deserves, likely because he plays with Virk, Lui etc. Plays solid man defense, makes good decisions, doesn't turn the ball over, can get to the rim & hit the 3. Unafraid to take the big shots (& makes them). Doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective, plays a team game. Impressive.

PS Interesting that you (JS) think Cowley is a better C prospect than Sheppard. Will be a fun match-up:)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:30 pm

FVRox wrote:

Rowell, Touchie, Lizdek, Dewar, Tomley are all going into Gr 10 or 11 (I think). Whereas all 4 KSS guards are seniors. The one SR guard outside of KSS that stands out to me is Lambert Pajayon from SWC. I really don't think he gets the credit he deserves, likely because he plays with Virk, Lui etc. Plays solid man defense, makes good decisions, doesn't turn the ball over, can get to the rim & hit the 3. Unafraid to take the big shots (& makes them). Doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective, plays a team game. Impressive.

very much agreed, KSS has the best guard combo in the Province especially with there depth, but its not outside the realm of possibility and would not be a surprise to see any one of the other great guard combos in BC to win 1 game vs. KSS that's all that I was trying to point out. And regarding Lambert Pajayon I agree with you wholeheartedly, he is the engine of that SWC team, so good at his position and was probably SWCs best overall player throughout the Provincial tournament this year, Pajayon may be the best PG in BC next season, if not the top dog in the conversation for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 teams for next year   Today at 1:12 pm

Back to top Go down

Top 10 teams for next year
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next