HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BloodDonor

PostSubject: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Hey, just wondering why there hasnt been much conversation on Mindy Minhas' tweet after they beat Tamanawis. He tweeted, "Best in BC my ass" He's referring to Sukhjot Bains, the highly touted player out of Tamanawis secondary. Sukhjot is a wonderful kid from what I hear and is very quite. Mindy Minhas shows a lack of respect for his opponents with that tweet and Mindy decided to delete it before anyone could see, but he was too slow for me. Mindy should apologize or atleast ackknowledge that he tweeted that and it was wrong instead of not commenting on it when he gets called out on it. Mindy Minhas deleting his tweet shows that he does not stand by what he says and shows a lack of strong values and morals. There is no need to take a jab at anyone after they have just realised that their dreams of winning a provincial title have been taken away, Sukhjot Bains must have been at his lowest moment and Mindy Minhas stepped on him when he was already down, truly disrespectful. Mindy Minhas is a bully.

Howard Tsumura released The Province's Super 25 list last night and Sukhjot Bains got ranked #1 for the class of 2013-2014. "The Province sent out a total of 17 independent and confidential ballots to coaches at the Single, Double, Triple and Quad A tiers in different geographic regions, as well as the CCAA college ranks, requesting them to rank their top 15 Grade 12 players based on their seasons of play." It is undeniable that Sukhjot Bains is the best that BC has to offer and Tsumura even acknowledges the controversial call on Sukhjot Bain's that fouled him out against Churchill and sent his provincial title hopes away. This ranking done by The Province not only further cements Sukhjot Bains as BC's Elite player, it also diminishes Mindy Minhas' claim that Sukhjot Bains is not the best in BC inferred from his tweet after the Tamanawis vs Churchill game at the 4A provincials. I leave you with Mindy Minhas' tweet once more "Best in BC my ass"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr.Plow

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Apparently Jadon Cohee tweeted something after the province announced Bains was the best player in the class, but deleted it shortly after.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hooplife

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:50 pm

Yes Jadon Cohee had tweeted saying " Talk to me when buddy gets a D1 offer" which he is also referring to Sukhjot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Mindy also tweeted and deleted after beating Tammy.."""Atha..what""? Taking jab at Athelite club for whom Bain is playing since grade 7.

FYI, I am great fan of Churchill this season and as a matter of fact, I am the first one in this forum predicted way early in January that Churchill will win the banner. I like clean basketball and humble kids. That is it. No team or player affiliation.

Last edited by JLivingston on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BloodDonor

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:17 pm

WOW show's what great players Drive basketball raises. Jadon Cohee is delusional if he doesn't think Sukhjot Bains has recieved Div 1 offers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:09 pm

In this day and age of social-media kids tend to tweet before they think, what was tweeted out was out of line and deleting the tweet does show some sort of remorse but in the heat of competition things can be said that upon further thought would not be said otherwise. Kids continue to learn to live in this age of up to the minute updates and this new social world we live in, it's not an excuse for bad behavior but just an understanding that this is a new age all of us adults and kids especially are still learning to live in and the implications that what we put out into the world can be seen by all and can never truly be erased and will live on in the virtual universe forever.

But I do find it a little hypocritical to call a 'kid' a 'class D act' for some tweets. If you found the tweets to have been morally wrong as this thread suggests, isn't this thread knocking a kids integrity, morals and calling him names just as morally wrong as the tweets you reference? What moral high ground can you stand on when you do basically the same thing you are trying to persecute?

Just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:09 pm

That game spoke for itself. I don't think anyone watching could say Bains is not clearly the better prospect going forward. If Mindy leaves UBC hanging in search of a D1 offer, he's going to be sorely disappointed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BloodDonor

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:46 pm

I am not calling Mindy Minhas any names, I am just simply stating the implications that that tweet could have on his reputation. Other's are percieving him the way I described and I believe that is te type of kid he is. I also believe that very little remorse was shown from Mindy Minhas and Jadon Cohee deleting their tweets, they were probably told by Drive basketball and/or their parents and/or role models in their lives to delete the tweets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Very well stated Mark! It was a contraversial and emotional loss for Tammy and I'm certain a difficult pill to swallow for Sukjot, Tamanawis and their supporters. But let's paint a clear picture of the setting - Tamanawis supporters including family members behaving despicably behind Churchill's bench by bombarding them with profane and intimidating language especially towards Mindy. And let's just take it a step further, Tammy supporters and even players following Churchill out to the parking lot after the game and instigating a fight and vandalism to their vehicles. Coach McKay had to grab his players and return them into the arena. There was obviously a lot of emotion, but if you're tossing daggers then Tammy's actions are a lot more egregious than a deleted tweet from an upset teenager.

We can all hang our hats on the 12 man random survey in the Province article, but I read what media, players and supporters said about Cohee and his achievements over the past 3 years (factually no player is close to his resume). And Minhas has twice led his team to the Provincials (Sukhjot was unable to last year) and was crowned MVP for the Quad A champion Bulldogs, same accomplishment that Cohee garnered the year before and was a last 2nd shot away in 2012. You can all have your opinions about whose the best, but any unbias individual would agree they are all great HS players with great resumes and well deserving of any accolades. But to say that it is clear that Bains is the better prospect going forward is very subjective with so many factors to consider, like positions they play, where they will play and what there willing to do to become the best they can be. Some of these comments are incendiary to push personal agendas.

I'm certain UBC and Seattle University are looking real forward to having Minhas and Cohee as will the team where Bains ultimately attends. Bains has been playing AAU for many years I haven't heard any commitment form him yet regarding prospective schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BloodDonor

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:14 pm

The churchill fans or players, not sure which, but could be both, tried to run over tamanawis players/parents; Now that is dangerous.Trying to hit them with a car is not a joke, someone could have seriously been injured and/or killed I applaud the players standing up for themselves and their parents. What churchill fans did is way worse than what any tamanawis fans did, endangering innocent parents and children as they are walking by, what is that? Churchill supporters instigated the fight. Emotions would obviously be running high after that loss and to even joke, maybe even purposely hit tamanawis parents/players with a car is not right, it would obviously provoke a huge response.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:20 pm

Aristotle wrote:
But to say that it is clear that Bains is the better prospect going forward is very subjective with so many factors to consider, like positions they play, where they will play and what there willing to do to become the best they can be. Some of these comments are incendiary to push personal agendas.  

I have no horse in this race. They are both shooting guards and Bains might be able to play some 3 going forward if we are talking about potential in the States. Objectively, Mindy is too slow and lacks the explosion to make an impact at either wing position. You could see it every time Bains was guarding him; Mindy was getting turned on all of his drives. Please spare us the trite remarks about "best they can be", because at some point, there is only so much they can improve on their natural gifts. Like height, elite footspeed is something you either have, or don't.

Outstanding high school player, no doubt, and he should have a good CIS career, but I think it would be a mistake for him to forego UBC's offer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Mindy is a solid player but I don't see a thing he does better than Sukh as a guard... Sukh shoots it better, handles it better, defends better, is faster... goes on and on. There was a reason that Mindy wasn't guarding Sukh yet Sukh was guarding him and doing a good job until refs were bailing him out but thats another story.. Fact is that if you're talking about who is the best player there is absolutely no discussion, it is Sukh.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:42 pm

BloodDonor wrote:
I am not calling Mindy Minhas any names, I am just simply stating the implications that that tweet could have on his reputation. Other's are percieving him the way I described and I believe that is te type of kid he is. I also believe that very little remorse was shown from Mindy Minhas and Jadon Cohee deleting their tweets, they were probably told by Drive basketball and/or their parents and/or role models in their lives to delete the tweets.

Not calling Mindy Minhas names? Read the title of your thread again, and answer that question again, because I don't believe you even know what you wrote or understand the concept of the topic you brought up. The HoopLife forums are for intelligent, friendly basketball talk, please try to keep out personal attacks from the board when possible.

BloodDonor wrote:
The churchill fans or players, not sure which, but could be both, tried to run over tamanawis players/parents; Now that is dangerous.Trying to hit them with a car is not a joke, someone could have seriously been injured and/or killed I applaud the players standing up for themselves and their parents. What churchill fans did is way worse than what any tamanawis fans did, endangering innocent parents and children as they are walking by, what is that? Churchill supporters instigated the fight. Emotions would obviously be running high after that loss and to even joke, maybe even purposely hit tamanawis parents/players with a car is not right, it would obviously provoke a huge response.

This is an incendiary statement if I ever saw one, accusing parents of trying to run over players? If true please contact the police asap, but if it's pure hyperbole it is completely improper to make such accusations.

I was at the game and in the arena so i don't know first-hand what happened out in the parking lot, but from my personal account I did see some Tamanawis supporters to be extremely belligerent that Friday night, I witnessed a few young adults who appeared to be under the influence to be vulgar and inappropriate in there behavior and some of those 'fans' directed most of their in-game hate for Mindy Minhas trying to directly antagonize him in a very negative way from my vantage point. I also spoke with several supporters from another school all together and was told that they were pushed and verbally abused by Tamanawis supporters thinking they were Churchill fans. This is my personal experience of the night, I did not personally encounter any trouble from Churchill fans, but did see a very increased presence from the Police following the game, and was told by a Churchill player that they were told not to leave the arena until the police could make sure that those 'threatening individuals' were removed from the premises.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BloodDonor

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:55 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:

This is an incendiary statement if I ever saw one, accusing parents of trying to run over players? If true please contact the police asap, but if it's pure hyperbole it is completely improper to make such accusations.

I clearly said "The churchill fans or players, not sure which, but could be both, tried to run over tamanawis players/parents" By churchill fans I meant the 16 year olds+ to 18 year olds that go to Winston Churchill secondary. I never said anything about the CHURCHILL PARENTS trying to runover tamanawis players/parents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:58 pm

Well Jesus it may look like an incendiary statement when you're on the outside looking in but if you were actually there you would no that there is no exaggeration to that comment and it is completely accurate. There were three guys driving, smiling at Tamanawis kids and than they pushed the gas. They struck one of the dads in the leg but he was okay. It is not clear whether or not they were Churchill fans or whatever, but it is likely. Tamanawis kids wouldn't be running around the parking lot like mad men just because they were emotional from the loss, there was a clear reason for what happened. The perpetrators fled before the cops arrived and the case is yet to be solved.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:08 pm

coach russ wrote:
Well Jesus it may look like an incendiary statement when you're on the outside looking in but if you were actually there you would no that there is no exaggeration to that comment and it is completely accurate. There were three guys driving, smiling at Tamanawis kids and than they pushed the gas. They struck one of the dads in the leg but he was okay. It is not clear whether or not they were Churchill fans or whatever, but it is likely. Tamanawis kids wouldn't be running around the parking lot like mad men just because they were emotional from the loss, there was a clear reason for what happened. The perpetrators fled before the cops arrived and the case is yet to be solved.

Thanks for putting a little clarification on that situation, like I said I was in the arena and stated what I personally witnessed and not in the parking lot, so if you did witness these hit and runs I do hope the perpetrators are caught and prosecuted because reckless driving is inexcusable, but like you said "it is not clear whether or not they were Churchill fans" if you can't be positive it is highly irresponsible to openly accuse in an open forum Churchill players/fans as ''BloodDonor" is doing. This is not the proper forum to make accusations, if you have any information take it to the proper authorities to be dealt with. this is a basketball forum, and I hope we can keep it to basketball talk as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:16 pm

I too was seated at the game and observed firsthand that the deportment of the fans/supporters of Tamanawis was dispicable. LEC event staff must do a better job to protect teams and players from these thug like actions. I was very tempted to intervene. There is no place in the game for it and Tammy isn't the only one guilty of such unappropriate behavior. There is a line and it often is crossed especially with the better players. School bodies should be taking measures to ensure good sportmanship is exercised by students and supporters. It seems that there are varying opinions of what occurred outside the arena, but since I was not there and only related what I've been told I will comment no further on the matter. The argument was one sided so I was only trying to show that the Tammy supporters were inflaming situations during the game that maybe led to the deleted tweet.

I can recall that Phil Scrubb wasn't as explosive, quick-footed or dynamic as Emerson Murray, but I can tell you that Phil has had an explosive career. Everyone has the chance to be very, very good at the next level no matter what their physical attributes are says Larry Bird, Sam Cassel, Grant Hill, Andre Miller, Kelly Olynyk and Doug McDermott. You can present whose better Mindy vs Sukhjot, but I'll stay out of that argument never thought there was a place for this. In my my opinion they're all very good players and are setting themselves up for continued success at the next level. For now let Mindy be allowed to enjoy his well earned MVP, it hasn't even been a week and the critics are out.

Last edited by Aristotle on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr.Plow

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:20 pm

coach russ wrote:
Mindy is a solid player but I don't see a thing he does better than Sukh as a guard... Sukh shoots it better, handles it better, defends better, is faster... goes on and on. There was a reason that Mindy wasn't guarding Sukh yet Sukh was guarding him and doing a good job until refs were bailing him out but thats another story.. Fact is that if you're talking about who is the best player there is absolutely no discussion, it is Sukh.

Completely agree, even comparing Sukh to Cohee it favors Sukh. The thing that impressed me the most watching him play this year was he never really forced a difficult shot trying to get himself involved, almost all his shots come to him naturally out of the offense. The game comes easy to him, and to think he hasn't even filled out his frame yet he could be even better. A gifted scorer, unselfish and an elite defender. He has all the tools to be the next great player out of British Columbia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:05 pm

I read what Jesus wrote in another forum and apparently Bains doesn't possess any D1 offers. Coach Russ and Mr. Plow I 've been told that you are either his coaches or related to the coaches so explain why he hasn't he had any offers when he has been playing AAU with Athelite for years and will now be playing this summer when other are committed? As well, it is reported that he is possibly considering prep school? Why? I guess he can open up many doors this summer if he plays well on a good team.

Tammy's offense was often isolating him on top and him going 1 on 1 and using his size against smaller defenders or pulling up for long contested threes. He has demonstrated a good ability of shooting with people in his face. You negate to state that in BC HS with his size and length at the guard position Bains has no equals, but at the next level if he plays D1 he will face defenders with same size/length and probably more speed and athleticism. Bains was surrounded by a very talented team whereas Cohee and Minhas led largely young and inexperienced teams. As we witnessed in Fraser Valley and Provincials Cohee had every defense thrown against him. I wonder what the coaches rationales and philosophies were for this? May have something to do with his perfomances.

I love it when people think they are Doug Gottlieb, Jay Bilas or Fran Fraschilla and can give expert opinion on local players. Playing D1 for any BC player has not been anything but difficult. It's going to be bumpy ride just ask recent BC HS players who've gone down South, and they'll either overcome and succeed or find themselves returning to CIS. The road ahead for Etienne, Cohee, Bains, Gailbraith,Minhas, Sparks-Guest etc will be challenging and demanding so where and how they end falls on them and their respective coaching staffs and then when their university careers are complete we can evaluate, banter and judge who was the best or more impactful. We can argue who is best, but it is always purely subjective. I call it the way I see and it's not based on opinion nor hyperbole, but fact, so who of the graduating 2014 class has had more success or achievements in their Senior years than....(your critical thinking goes here)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:17 pm

Heard from who? I made this account today ... I'm nor his coach or related to his coach. I am a former Wildcat who decided to come watch the games and I've watched the Fraser Valley and Provincial tournament and in my eyes he was clearly the best player. Just because he hasn't gotten the same exposure and gotten these offers it doesn't mean that they are better players then he is. He has high interest and it is very likely that he will be getting an offer from one of the teams interested in him. By the way, I thought you were done with this argument?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:24 pm

And to the last thing you said, no one is arguing about who had the most success. Just simply which player is most talented. Some of your arguments are irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
Aristotle

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 pm

I was done with the "tweeting" issue, but was just trying to gauge your rationale and decision making regarding the evaluation of talent. I see you make this assessment by watching the Provincials. Did you see every game including the opening games (don't need an answer). I can tell you who I think is the most talented/best but it's irrevelant as it's based on my opinion by watching numerous games over the years and evaluating the players achievements, production and impact on the game and I'm know guru. Talking about whose best or most talented is one thing, but making statements or judgements such as the next great one from BC is a little over the top. I'm for all these players Bains, Etienne, Minhas, Votsgad, Cohee...and yes Berrios. They love the game and I hope they can all reach their full potential and have tremendous post-secondary careers and we can all grow to support and motivate them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Lol your opinion on who is the best isn't irrelevant, everything else you said is. Mindy is upset about Sukh being ranked the best player and we are giving our insight on who is actually the best.
Back to top Go down
PressThis

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:33 pm

I saw a number of very aggressive fans from both teams who were confronting other each during the semi (in response to various crowd chants etc.).  This was unfortunate and it seemed like security didn't quite know how to deal with it. Intense rivalries are fine but should not cross the line.  Personally I like fans from schools who have evolved to a more sophisticated, witty and fun form of poking the other team (which of course is far more difficult than just hurling insults and making threats).  

There were some very emotional games in this tourney but I am thinking there is some underlying rivalry issues between the two club teams that is also at play here.  

Players do need to watch what they tweet (on multiple fronts) as recruiters do take notice. Fair or not, others will judge you on what you tweet / re-tweet as provides an insight into who you are and what you stand for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
insider

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:05 am

hahaha, wow! Can the moderator please delete this thread before someone calls up their cousin who's related to bindi johal to come beat everyone up? Or is hoop life just happy with the 50 new accounts that got signed up today by the same people...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura   Today at 8:54 pm

Back to top Go down

MINDY MINHAS class D act & Super 25 rankings released by Howard Tsumura
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next