HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Girls Provincial Final

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hooped

PostSubject: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:44 am

Chinook vs Raymond for the Provincial title. Both teams are great and the outcome could go either way. Raymond has played together for years and it shows, but Chinook is a team of athletes whose starting line-up is the same set of girls who won the Volleyball Provincials. To pull off both provincials would be impressive so that could give them the drive to "dig" in and do it! Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Agreed. Any one who has a little money to bet should keep it in their pocket. Raymond destroyed Spruce Grove last night while Chinook had a tougher match with what appeared to be a "way better than Spruce Grove" team but maybe it was just Raymond being Raymond. I can say that if you wanted to make some hay, take Sachs to beat Spruce Grove today. SG barely got by Cardston yesterday and really, should have lost that one. I was expecting way more out of the number one seed from Edmonton with two Provincial members. Sachs, on the other hand has played very well with on of their stars (and provincial team member) out with a concussion.

One thing for sure, Calgary better figure out what is going on as they performed rather dismally here.

Back to the final. Interesting that the 4A Provincial final has a 2A and a 3A school in it and one of the semi finalists was also 3A. Is Spruce grove legit 4A in numbers? No doubt the two best teams in the Province will meet up with a vengeance for their fourth meeting of the year. The first went to Chinook, the second to Raymond and the Zone Final to Chinook again. Raymond victory occurred when Bosch had a concussion and Chinooks first victory happened when Sunder missed some time in the fourth with an ankle sprain.West and Bosch are two freakish athletes.

A factor tonight could be the way the game is officiated. Chinook and Raymond are not overly physical but I would have to give the "hack" nod to Raymond. If they call the fouls I worry Raymond could be in some trouble. The officiating has been pretty good at Provincials so far although I would encourage any one to watch the last 30 second of the Chinook SACHS game on line and explain how three officials who have earned the right to get the semi final could miss back to back Sachs travelling calls, the last one clearly an "up and down" with a Provincial final in the offing. One thing for sure, these two teams are a treat to watch.

That being said....I am picking Raymond by 20...no wait Chinook by 20...no wait...either team in double overtime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hooped

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Bosch played the game they lost with a concussion? Wow! Some things are more important than winning...but that just shows her incredible skill. Bosch and West get a lot of the limelight/pressure, but even these amazing athletes couldn't do what they do without the girls they play with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:09 am

I'm curious what you mean by getting it together, I think most teams finished where their seed would suggest. There is no doubt both Edmonton and the South were stronger zones this year but as we all know basketball is a cycle. Calgary teams finished around their preseason projections with the exception of Aberhart where I think their coach was able to accomplish a lot based on what they had on their roster, young team little experience at the senior level. I think as for next year most teams lose a lot making it a two or three team race. I do agree though Calgary as a zone needs to perform better against the better teams in Alberta.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:21 am

Fair enough. I apologise for my earlier comment about calgary hs basketball. This game is a cycle and they just happen to be in a downward turn. I will be the first one here stating otherwise when it changes but, as of today, the last thing we should talk about is calgary and the city's lack of basketball and the fact that the club program there is hurting rather than helping due to politics and on, and on, and on. Feel free to call me on it if I am wrong.

On to important matters. I love girls' basketball and have been a supporter forever. I travel to catch games and simply support these kids in their games and now I offer, a truly unbiased opinion of last nights championship game between Raymond and Chinook. Again, feel free to challenge me at any time.

Final score, Raymond 61 Chinook 55. The score really matters not as it could have been, as I posted earlier, twenty points either way and it is sad that either of these two had to lose.

Sunder West and Kacie Bosch are the best two girls bb players I have seen forever. Not this year... but forever. Say what you want about those who have come before but please.... other than previous bigs who possess a height advantage, these two are special.

Now for the final. Congrats to Raymond for winning. Too bad for Chinook losing but....someone has to lose.

First Half - Chinook starts quick and Raymond answers. Chinook is up 10-8 and then raymond goes on a 17-2 run to go up 25-12. That run is punctuated by some great shooting by Raymond and missed free throws by Chinook, wide open (and I mean wide open) put backs missed by Chinook, and some fortuitous bounces that went in the hoop for the Raymond side. West and Bosch were huge factors in the half assist wise, but neither had to score. The difference was raymond finished and Chinook's finish was woeful. Raymond up twenty.

Second half - Raymond is held scoreless for the first 7 or 8 minutes in the third q but Chinook can only score five due to a continuation of their first half shooting drought. Chinook does come back to within 1 with 20 seconds left and is called for travelling with an open path for the go ahead layup. Fouls then lead to a 5 point win for Raymond. Bosch and West were remarkable down the stretch, both answering when it was needed. There is a reason those two are hyped like they are... Sunder had two huge "and ones" and Bosch overcame double teams and collapsing triples to score pivotal baskets down the stretch.

Great job ladies. I am off to church but when I return I may take some time to devote some writing to the truly unfortunate incident that marred this great final by two great teams... the officiating. Sad to say but....stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:21 am

Fair enough. I apologise for my earlier comment about calgary hs basketball. This game is a cycle and they just happen to be in a downward turn. I will be the first one here stating otherwise when it changes but, as of today, the last thing we should talk about is calgary and the city's lack of basketball and the fact that the club program there is hurting rather than helping due to politics and on, and on, and on. Feel free to call me on it if I am wrong.

On to important matters. I love girls' basketball and have been a supporter forever. I travel to catch games and simply support these kids in their games and now I offer, a truly unbiased opinion of last nights championship game between Raymond and Chinook. Again, feel free to challenge me at any time.

Final score, Raymond 61 Chinook 55. The score really matters not as it could have been, as I posted earlier, twenty points either way and it is sad that either of these two had to lose.

Sunder West and Kacie Bosch are the best two girls bb players I have seen forever. Not this year... but forever. Say what you want about those who have come before but please.... other than previous bigs who possess a height advantage, these two are special.

Now for the final. Congrats to Raymond for winning. Too bad for Chinook losing but....someone has to lose.

First Half - Chinook starts quick and Raymond answers. Chinook is up 10-8 and then raymond goes on a 17-2 run to go up 25-12. That run is punctuated by some great shooting by Raymond and missed free throws by Chinook, wide open (and I mean wide open) put backs missed by Chinook, and some fortuitous bounces that went in the hoop for the Raymond side. West and Bosch were huge factors in the half assist wise, but neither had to score. The difference was raymond finished and Chinook's finish was woeful. Raymond up twenty.

Second half - Raymond is held scoreless for the first 7 or 8 minutes in the third q but Chinook can only score five due to a continuation of their first half shooting drought. Chinook does come back to within 1 with 20 seconds left and is called for travelling with an open path for the go ahead layup. Fouls then lead to a 5 point win for Raymond. Bosch and West were remarkable down the stretch, both answering when it was needed. There is a reason those two are hyped like they are... Sunder had two huge "and ones" and Bosch overcame double teams and collapsing triples to score pivotal baskets down the stretch.

Great job ladies. I am off to church but when I return I may take some time to devote some writing to the truly unfortunate incident that marred this great final by two great teams... the officiating. Sad to say but....stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Some comments on a great weekend of basketball - first congrats to Raymond. If you cancel out Bosch/Sunder, I thought the shere size of Chinook might wear Raymond down. I love the tempo Raymond plays and respect the heck out of how relentless they are for their size. A question for other coaches - would you have diamond & 1 Sunder after playing a 2-3 zone all year? How comfortable did it look? I listened to the game on the bus ride home:lol: Just curious..
I thought the top 4 teams were in the right spots - we kept changing spots with Spruce Grove and in the end battled to a SACHS 3rd place Bronze (Spruce beat us in our League final - both games spread was 5pts). Raymond & Chinook split 2-2 over the season. Chinook wins zone title, Raymond responds with provincial gold. Like previously, mentioned flip a coin to crown an outstanding champion.
I'd like to think we battled Chinook as best we could minus our provincial team player (a big...who would have helped for sure). Lots of mismatches against us - who knows, maybe having to play a shorter bench against us caused a little fatigue in Chinook.
Spruce struggled against Raymond but had to play a tough game vs Cardson, who back down from no-one. Foul trouble hurt Spruce vs Cardston and kids who might not normally play big minutes - had to. Turn around time between quarter games for Spruce/Raymond was also smaller. As for Calgary, there are teams on the rise who were quite young or did not have a lot of provincial play experience. People forget that these are young ladies under pressure and even coaches who aren't familiar with routines. I know for us, moving from 3A where we often got a 1st round bye to playing a good Calgary team was "different". Many of the top teams lose a lot of significant players (Chinook & Raymond lose 6-7, we lose 2, Spruce loses 3, Centennial loses 3 starters but returns their top 2 etc...). The landscape will change slightly as I believe Calgary may be stronger as whole than Edmonton and possibly the South.
All in all, I know rankers and most coaches knew that Chinook and Raymond were 1/2 all year with the remaining 10 top teams capable of beating each other at any time. The opportunity to take a crack at Chinook and give it a 1-game shot is all we could ask for and what march is all about!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:45 pm

As far as the diamond and one goes I don't think it hurt as much as it probably helped. I am sure their goal was to shut Sunder down and, for the most part it worked. Sunder came up big in other ways but she did not beat teams like she beat them last year when teams played her straight up.

Chinook was down 20 twice in this game and battled back only to fall short. It is a long game of events but here is a breakdown of how one Cardston fan sees the officiating playing too big a role in this game. The goal of every official should be to not be noticed but the three that earned this game were not that fortunate.

Call 1: Raymond has a wide open path to the hoop and Chinook catches her from behind, gets along side of her and grabs the ball as raymond is about to pull it up for the layup. Great play by Chinook, maybe a foul...probably a foul... but the referees, under direct direction from the Raymond coach, call a clear path foul and give Raymond two shots (which they make) plus the ball. They score a three on the possession. Simply baffling.

Call 2: less than a minute later, Chinook has a wide open path for a layup and the Raymond girl clips her foot from behind. maybe a foul, probably a foul, refs called it a foul but did not call it a clear path foul. raymond girl was clearly behind the Chinook kid when the trip occurred, accidental or not. Quite interesting considering the recent call the other way.

Call 3: Chinook steals and heads up the court with two Raymond pursuers. One in front and one behind. This kid is one of the most sound fundamental basketball players I have ever seen. She does a stutter kind of move to shirk the defenders and the referee, totally outmatched by the move, calls her for a carry. It was not a carry but it was an awful call on a skilled player.

Call 4: Chinook's travel on the inbounds play with less than twenty left in the game and the game on the line. I have now watched the film and if that was a travel then there were probably 600 travels in that game. As someone who was there I think it is safe to say that the ref who made the call may have been the only one who saw it that way. Why someone would call it at that time is simply shocking but it happened. Too bad but the role the officials played was an important one in the outcome.

All this being said, these are two great teams. I have no doubt that Chinook beats them 6 or 7 of ten but in the gold medal game they just were a victim of giving up a run and going cold. Now I have to live out here for a whole year and listen to how amazing the town of raymond is....

Finally, I have to say that the cheap shot the winning Raymond coach took at a Chinook player in the newspaper was a classless act. I would even go a step further and say that the writer should have saved the coach from his own disgraceful comment and not printed it. Coaches, please, on behalf of every one who realizes what is important in high school sports, learn how to win and lose with class. After all, these are kids we are cheering for...

Congrats to Raymond and Chinook for a memorable year. I will miss you both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Don't anyone be fooled!!
"Coogarsrule" is not a Cardston fan! But a Chinook fan, all you have to do is read prior posts.
Just a sour Chinook fan, player, or parent!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Slow down Southfan. This is a basketball forum. If you have something other than what you just posted that has something to do with basketball please continue to post. If not, thanks for playing.

By the way, the exclamation point is like yelling. Intelligent people don't use that anymore when they write. Just a tip.

Go Cougars. Next year we will rise again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:41 pm

Coogarsrule, well is that right? Well maybe I was yelling, cause it is not proper for anymore to pretend you are a Cardston fan when you are really a Chinooker. And by the way Chinook is done! (yes I am yelling again) and Cardston is not on the rise, they don't have enough heart to win the big games. Raymond will surprise everyone next season with the addition of some great grade 10's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coogarsrule

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Still not a very mature response but let's just agree that is the best you can muster. I have to say part of me hopes you are a young kid but I am very concerned you are probably raising your own. Ahh, the cycle of life.

If you would like to start a new thread regarding next year I would be glad to engage but please, for everyone, don't question the heart of kids. I think just twelve short months ago there was double provincial gold in Cardston. My parting two cents about next year in the south league. Here are my predictions.

1. Medicine Hat - some good kids and a big that will be hard to contend with maturity.
1A. Cardston - yet again JV champs and they play it hard. Almost earned a medal again this year when everyone counted them out.
2. Chinook - finalist in JV and some returning players who were big contributors
3. Myers - some key returnees and they were successful this year in the league.
4. Winston- See Myers above only with a little less success this year.
5. CCH - Lots to work on but some of the pieces are there. Confidence and teamwork will go miles.
6. LCI - Maybe this is just a hope of mine as an alum.
7. Raymond - Just can't give a higher nod to a team that loses all five starters. They could surprise but wont contend.
8. Magrath - may finish higher but are up against it here.
9. Kate Andrews - Loses some key players and had a tough go of it this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Well Coogarsrule, you do know your girls basketball. Raymond does return Haley Ralph so I think they will contend but I do respect all that you just said. It will be another interesting season in the south come next season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:13 pm

Great insight on whats to come from the South next season. I'd love to hear from the other Zones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 am

what did the coach say about a chinook player? Didn't see any southern ab papers here. that shouldnt happen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 pm

Coogarsrule, What did Raymond coach say in paper about Chinook player??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Provincial Final   Today at 7:13 pm

Back to top Go down

4A Girls Provincial Final
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1