HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

STU Women Win Silver at Nationals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AA Fan

PostSubject: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:11 am

How about them STU women !!! Silver at nationals. Played for a medal in the last 4 nationals. Vass from Moncton & Goodine from Plaster Rock both named first team all-stars. Lost by 5 in the final against a stacked Montmercy Quebec team. Great job !!!!Vass and Goodine both products of BNB teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am

I heard a rumor ( and that's all it was , so feel free to ignore) that the STu rugby team is dropping from the CIS . In order for STU to have CIS hockey, they need 3 CIS teams at the school. So someone has to move up. Womens basketball being the most logical candidate. Do you think that could happen? What a great cross town rivalry that would be for basketball...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:46 am

Congrats to stu w bball they are a hard working crew essentially running a Cis type program. There success at nationals is being hampered by lack of league competition. However they are not Cis ready, suggest they are 20-30 points behind cross town rivals and we know how they have faired recently (although getting better). This topic arises periodically for both stu men and women's bball teams and it's fun to speculate, certainly being able to play home games at Unb pit helps with recruiting and fan support. Hope they both win nationals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballjones

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Did STU women play UNB in basketball this year?

Maybe Brady12 knows something I don't but from what I saw from both basketball teams this year, STU would likely be the one coming out on top. I would even say they would win by 10 to 20 points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:19 am

"STU would likely be the one coming out on top. I would even say they would win by 10 to 20 points."

Seriously?

The STU women have a great program and with a few bounces going their way could have been CCAA national champs.

Competing in the CIS is another story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spartan

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 am

Is there a max number of games teams can play at AUS and CCAA? If not, why not have an early season exhibition game? Same thing is done in NCAA. That game could have the most local interest of any UNB game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:45 pm

Wasn't there a mini tournament a couple of years ago that had a mixture of CIS teams and other teams? Not sure if they had full rosters or not....but, I seem to remember the STU women beat UPEI. I think UPEI was quite terrible at the time....back when I played at STU, there was talk that the girls would eventually go AUAA.....20+ years later, it still hasn't happened....it seems they are caught in between. Too good for their league, but cannot compete at the CIS level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:44 pm

a great team. their defence is amazing to watch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 am

The STU Women are a very good team. A Very good, small college team.

If UNB and STU were to play this year, I would take UNB +15. UNB was second in points allowed in the AUS this year with SMU being ahead of them. They are deeper, have more height and would out rebound the STU women's team.

The only players on the STU roster who could play CIS are Bawn and Vass. Bawn would have been a great roll player compareable to Alicia Sterling who played a few years back for UNB and Vass, well, she would be a decent back up point guard. Weaknesses are exploited at the CIS level, Vass is a great defender, and is fast enough to compensate for her inability to use her left hand. She would be eaten alive in both the CIS and against UNB.

Position by position, the UNB Varsity Reds are better than STU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballjones

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:58 am

Both Hilary Goodine and Lindy McDonald from STU could play AUS. Also, I don't know if I saw UNB "eat up" anybody this year.

They were not very good. If we were talking about STU playing Saint Mary's, that would be a much different story. But we aren't.

It would be an interesting game, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Again it is like who can play at next level question, certainly Stu has women who can play Cis, however, only way to tell is step up. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a relationship with Cis schools and stu as there is in other provinces so no one ever seems to be available or encouraged to step up. I suggest
That another university that should consider Cis is Mta. Granted they are behind stu women in terms of being Competitive having lost some key players to injury and academic choices but they were once a Cis basketball school both men and women. Mta men are currently more competitive. Either school Stu or Mta would eventually bring a natural rivalry to Unb and give players another option.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:35 pm

we can sure celebrate stu women and there success. they have no unb matchups in several yrs but I did hear that the team they played in the final has 6 players going div 1 ncaa next yr. it's worth a look at the archived games if you haven't actually watched them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STU Women Win Silver at Nationals   Today at 1:08 pm

Back to top Go down

STU Women Win Silver at Nationals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1