HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Age Class Games for Basketball NB?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bev Sinclair

PostSubject: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 am

Did anyone take in the age class basketball scrimmages or games in Fredericton on the weekend? Maybe it was only Sunday. If there are reports, it would be nice to read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:12 pm

I only got to see the senior boys play.

There were a total of 11 teams playing, meaning around 70-80 kids total. There were 3l from my region (and I assume other regions) that missed the event because of volleyball. If I had to guess, I would say that the numbers were fairly even across the board for grade representation.

I was very pleased to see all the teams were made mostly equal from each region, making every game competitive (most games were within 1-2 points). A team from the South came out on top when it came to playoffs, beating a team from the East by 2-3 points.

I heard the junior boys showed very well, a lot of strong grade 8 players (who are Canada Games age) that could potentially make either U15 or U15 dev.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Girls side was very also solid 12 teams. Games were mostly competitive. Different regions had vastly different numbers of players involved so some had mixed teams, some 1 team just made up of whoever they had, some had to combine with other regions to make teams and others were divided by age. So in some cases matchups created problems in games with very young or very inexperienced regions but if was actually a good show case for younger or less known players to show how they handle themselves vs superior competition.

Thought the games were well played and everyone played hard. Location was LHHS going cross court which allowed teams of 5/ 6 players to go hard all day in 5 on 5 settings for 12 min at a time. Though the narrow courts caused some spacing confusion that kids had to overcome.

70 + players in the gym and 12 + coaches throughout the day giving feedback and taking notes. Coaching staff members and selection commitee members for the provincial teams selection process were in attendance and making notes. The players involved in EDP are definitely got an extra kick at the can to give coaches a feel for who they are, and the skills they were showing were the sorts of things BNB is looking to grow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Any update on bnb u 16/17 teams? I hear u 17 girls is loaded with Fhs players !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Thu May 08, 2014 12:21 pm

Now posted on bnb website, 5 girls from Fhs on u17, just seems like yesterday someone posted the demise of Fhs program, predicting few would play bnb team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Thu May 08, 2014 7:29 pm

Fredericton coach and 5 Fredericton high girls on the U17 team. He obviously did not watch the performance (or lack thereof) of some of those kids on the national stage last year and the high school stage this year!! I had a call from a very knowledgeable female basketball coach tonight that was totally puzzled by some of the selections.

Not a lot of Fredericton High girls on U16 team (gee coach is not from Fredericton) and when the U15 team list comes out, there will be very little Fredericton High representation on that team.

Based on the matchups at the age class competition day, the U17 girls did not dominate over their U15 and U16 counterparts.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Fri May 09, 2014 11:03 am

Normally I would be agreeing with you on this one SBS but not this time. I watched some of the U16/17 girls try outs and I would say that the top kids were selected for the most part. I guess you could always argue that a few could be interchanged but I am sure the head coach has his reasons for who he selected. If you remember, FHS girls were only a couple of hoops away from being at HS in Feb so they do have some kids that can play. I expect with their size they will be right there again when high school season kicks off in the fall. They don't have RC though so....  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Fri May 09, 2014 12:17 pm

The 5 Fredericton girls selected to play U17 look to be FHS's starting lineup for the most part for the 2014-15 season (if I was a betting man). These girls are all very talented players in their own right. Playing together for the summer will only make these girls that much better for the fall season.

Is it a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. We'll have to see how their coach plays them together over the summer.

Does this team have the best talent in the province for that age group? Probably not entirely, but they should be the best available players for the program. These are the all very dedicated players on a team that should do well together. For most of them this is the 2nd and in some cases the 3rd summer playing together, so I assume they will do fairly well especially against Atlantic teams.

The biggest question I would have is how many girls tried out for the U16 and U17 teams? Also, was there any AA or A girls that were trying out for spots? Did the mandatory EDP sessions keep away some potential players as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Fri May 09, 2014 2:38 pm

I can only speak for the boys side of the selection process, but the mandatory "strongly recommended" EDP sessions didn't seem to keep any players from attending tryouts. For the most the province's top prospects attended the tryouts with only a few exceptions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Fri May 09, 2014 5:13 pm

I watched girls a bit interested in who wasn't there, 2 obvious mias bulman and colpitts, otherwise good turn out, tryout looked to be well run and obviously several coaches watching to get a good look. In case anyone following this thread doesn't know Dan Goguen u 17 coach is asst coach Unb men's program and has no affiliation with Fhs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Sat May 10, 2014 12:18 pm

rivhoops wrote:
The 5 Fredericton girls selected to play U17 look to be FHS's starting lineup for the most part for the 2014-15 season (if I was a betting man). These girls are all very talented players in their own right. Playing together for the summer will only make these girls that much better for the fall season.

Is it a coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. We'll have to see how their coach plays them together over the summer.

Does this team have the best talent in the province for that age group? Probably not entirely, but they should be the best available players for the program. These are the all very dedicated players on a team that should do well together. For most of them this is the 2nd and in some cases the 3rd summer playing together, so I assume they will do fairly well especially against Atlantic teams.

The biggest question I would have is how many girls tried out for the U16 and U17 teams? Also, was there any AA or A girls that were trying out for spots? Did the mandatory EDP sessions keep away some potential players as well?

1) COach Goggin is from the Fredericton area but works with the UNB teams. He's not connected with FHS directly though obviously through EDP, camps etc. Would see a number of the central kids more regularly. I can speak from first hand experience that Coach Goggin contacted coaches and traveled around the province during EDP to get first hand looks at kids beyond training day.

2) The selection process is not done by the coach exclusively. They have input as a part of a commitee so if there is a conspiracy theorist out there then the conspiracy would have to involve the the u17 coach, u16 coach, BNB leadership and the current and retired coaches from high schools/clubs from around the province who make up the commitee . I'm not sure Dan Brown writes stuff that complicated.

3) I wasn't at tryouts and only got my information from coaches that were there and 2nd hand the same way most posters here would have. I do have the advantage of haivng worked with or coached almost all the kids involved in some capacity. Speaking as a former coach and my work this year through EDP. If you had asked me to create a depth chart of who should be on the u17 team of the kids in NB. Everyone on this team would have been on my preliminary list in the top 20. 3 Kids I would have had in the top ten didn't attend tryouts. So that means in this guys opinion the 12 spots went to 12 of the 17 top candidates. Which seems then reasonable for some to have had a good tryout vs bad, or gotten bumped out by age or depth at a particular position when constructing the team. A better player may not make a great 9-12th option for either their development or team chemistry and you've also got to look at position depth on the roster. I can't see a real problem with the team selected.

4) In terms of the A and AA issue. Molly Gulliver is AA (u17) as are Taylor Cooke and Hannah Oland (u16). Taylor Forsythe (u16) attended LHHS this year and played JV but previously was an A player. The biggest obstacle to A and AA players at this level is the overall high school development experience. Through mini and bantam it is pretty easy for players and coaches to play as much or similar amounts of basketball so through Bantam Elite and even u15 players from a lot of locations are going to similar. Once they get to high school and there is a limitation on how much time they can have access to coaches or gyms as well how many sports teams need them you run into a lot of real advantages for larger centre kids:

A - They are surronded by competition if they don't grow their game spend time conditioning and improving their game then they can be passed. At smaller schools if you are the best player or best athlete chances someone becomes better then you are small but even if they do it might be 1 or 2 someones not enough someone's to get you put off the team or take away your starting job/playing time. So those kids in larger centres have more external motivations.

B - If you have access to a weight room or gym outside your school, club teams, spring leagues or etc etc. Then you get coaching, training, and experience or competition other kids don't get. If you are at an A/AA school and were a good athlete or basketball player you probably spent the spring playing jv/varsity volleyball or another spring sport. Kids in larger centres don't always get spots on those teams so they are in the weight room, shooting and playing in spring leagues OR playing spring sports for their school and still doing all those things. Over 2 or 3 years of highs chool this time in the gym creates seperaton. If you are at a school with k-12 or 7-12 in one building or only have 1 gym for the entire community you might only get access to your high school gymnasium during basketball season.

C/D - The level of competition they play against in season also makes a difference and the reduced amount of travel for things like EDP and summer teams reduces costs and obstacles.

None of this means smaller schools can't have kids who excell or get to these levels but it does require and passion and commitment to overcome obstacles in their way that aren't in others and overcome advantages others have built in that they don't.

5) EDP is an advantage to kids. Coaches get more looks and reports. Kids get terminology, footwork and teaching points ?imbedded? that the other kids don't. GLad other kids tryout in case someone who can't travel for EDP or because of their school size can't afford the time away from their involvement with their school activities to do EDP, but its definitely something this kids have to show phsyically or skill wise when they show up at tryouts doesn't seperate them.

If there is a concern (and I think its universal not just BNB basketball but basketball/sports at all levels) I'm noticing its the number of players who make a summer team 1 year and then aren't back again the next and next. Just looking at the girls side: Too many reasons for any 1 factor to be identified, but the fact that the player who was the best player on the u15 team when this u17 team was at that age group, and two players from last years Canada games team that are eligible didn't tryout is a concern. Also between a u15 team last year and developmental team there should be 21 players u16 age who played for Team NB at tryouts. 1 made the u17 team 10 are playing u16 which is great but I don't think the other 11 even tried out. If someone can solve the player retention issue in youth sports there is a world wide demand for figuring out how to keep kids involed if you've got a million dollar idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Sun May 11, 2014 6:01 pm

Do I dare ask how u 15 tryouts went? I thought the comments on u17 were informative thx to those who took time to explain process and realities, keeping players involved is the challenge, NB is small pop. we need everyone if we want to compete with larger provinces.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Sun May 11, 2014 7:01 pm

Both tryouts seemed to role along pretty smoothly. Both groups seemed pretty undersized even for NB. Lots of underagers at the boys side, not so many on the girls side.

Think both groups seemed to get most everyone who they should get. I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions out there but you can never get em all.

Lots of coaches in the gym 10+ in the gyms each session.

Girls only had 37 trying for 24 spots.

All in all seemed to be well embraced as a process by parents and players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballmax

PostSubject: Certain kind of players?   Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 am

I sometimes wonder, when I go to tryouts, whether the players aren't encouraged to play a very selfish type of game? Do the coaches / evaluators look for other skills such as leadership, teamwork, etc? Are the players told about this beforehand? Seems like a scrimmage style tryout leads very much a "dribble-drive" style of game, which I suppose is natural when they haven't played together much...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Mon May 12, 2014 10:28 am

I sometimes wonder, when I go to tryouts, whether the players aren't encouraged to play a very selfish type of game? Do the coaches / evaluators look for other skills such as leadership, teamwork, etc? Are the players told about this beforehand? Seems like a scrimmage style tryout leads very much a "dribble-drive" style of game, which I suppose is natural when they haven't played together much...

I can't speak for each tryout but I know specifically at the U15 girls tryouts they were addressed and had re-enforced a number of times that coaches were looking in this for in this order:

1) Who you can defend at national level?
2) How many positions you can defend or play at that level?
3) How can you help a team without a ball in your hand?
4) What your offensive role/contribution would be?

They also were several times and put in several drills and scrimmages asked to put emphasis on communication, leadership, rebounding and defense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 pm

CoachDJR wrote:

I can't speak for each tryout but I know specifically at the U15 girls tryouts they were addressed and had re-enforced a number of times that coaches were looking in this for in this order:

1) Who you can defend at national level?
2) How many positions you can defend or play at that level?
3) How can you help a team without a ball in your hand?
4) What your offensive role/contribution would be?

They also were several times and put in several drills and scrimmages asked to put emphasis on communication, leadership, rebounding and defense.

Same 2 points were made with the boys (about defending).

I didn't hear anything about leadership, teamwork or team play but in my opinion it wasn't necessary to bring up. I saw a lot of guys talking on and off the court, high fives between team mates during scrimmage, and between each team after games. I also saw great ball movement in the half court and rarely ever saw someone pass up an easy headmanned pass for a layup in transition.

Overall good 2 sessions for the boys group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Age Class Games for Basketball NB?   Today at 5:27 am

Back to top Go down

Age Class Games for Basketball NB?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1