HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Which school?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 pm

oldtymeballer wrote:

Louis Riel accumulates elite athletes in basketball, volleyball, soccer, and hockey from around Eastern Ontario and they should always play up to reflect this. If you don't think the designation makes a difference, look at how often they were contenders at National Capitals in any level before that time. The answer is zero.

I think you are trying to fix a problem before it has become a problem, but the fact is it may never become a problem and to assume it will is just plain unfair to the students playing at the current time. If you are suggesting that Louis Riel should have to play up because their "advantage" of playing in any designation that they want to allows them to be competitive, then you have completely lost me. What is the harm in fielding a competitive team? Everyone wins in that situation. Louis Riel kids have a chance to win and the teams they play have a team that is competitive with them and thus makes them better as well. If Louis Riel was dominating, and you seem to agree that they are not dominating, but if they were, then perhaps there would need to be some discussion on this. Even then, however, I don't think that they have done anything to harm the game and thus should not be penalized for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:02 pm

coachjazz wrote:

Yes the league got it wrong, there no way Louis-riel should had been allowed to plays Single A, let me repeat it Louis-Riel has more than 499 students between grade 8 and 12,.There no way they would have 415 grade 7 and 8. I have been to Louis-Riel recently and I can assure you that the ratio of grade 7 and 8 (compare to grade 9-12) is not 4/5 or 0.8/1. I would says its more 0.2/1

Clearly the league did not get this one wrong. You have admitted that there was an investigation and unless you are accusing the league convenors of purposely overlooking this then how could they have gotten it wrong. Not to be too bold, but I am going to take the word of the people who have documentation as to how many people attend Louis Riel in grades 9-12 over your assumptions that the school is so big that there is no way they have less than 500 kids! Just because you have been to the school does not mean that you know how many students they currently have. Perhaps you know more than you are sharing or did you walk the halls and count the number of students???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fh21

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:54 pm

I have a friend who plays for deslaurier
and he to said that louis riel allowed two players to play although they were
fouled..
whether or not this is true, it does not matter because its over and done with,
and lous riel did not make it to ofsaa anyways so even if they cheated other teams
they still didnt get to far with that
and hopefully deslaurier will again show that they are a changed team and there athleticism next year and come out victorious
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Why is louis riel such a conservesial school?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:26 pm

how can you have 499.25 students? how is it possible to have a quarter of a student?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:27 pm

If a person is not full time, they would have less classes so if you have one person at half time and another at 3/4 time then you would have 1.25 students.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm

oh ok, so like a victory lap student for example?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:51 pm

I think louis riel playing single a this year was really cheap there's only 3 teams in single. Do u think that it would be possible for ofsaa to start a divisinal ofsaa instead of classifications I mean what we did for juniors this year can divived teams into 4 tiers so that school size issent a conserverisal topic anymore. And it will eliminate the problem with only 4 teams in single a
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 pm

And if ofsaa won't change it can't ncsaa just send like winner of tier 1 to qaud a winner of tier 2 to tripple and winner of tier 3 to double and winner of tier 4 to single? There is a problem with tripple and qaud a schools playing in tier 4 in this method but can ofsaa make a exception
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachc

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 am

I am still trying to figure out what is broken here that we are trying to fix???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raps and Wildcats

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 pm

School classifications is a hot topic across the province. I have a number of partial thoughts:

1) Part of me thinks that any school with an elite sports program should automatically go the highest calibre i.e schools with specialized hockey programs should have to compete in AAAA (not sure if specialized basketball program schools exist)

2. With declining enrollment a theme across the province, should OFSAA simply move from 4 classications to 2? i.e "A" would be schools under 750. and "AA" would be schools over 750. Doubt this would ever happen but it is something to think about

3. I also think the urban centre of the school should also factor in to school classifactions. Students in towns outside major centres may not have the same sort of opportunities to play club ball...obviously I am biased here

4. School hockey rules suggest that Junior A and B players are not allowed to compete. Do you think we will get to that point in basketball? Meaning if you played Club Basketball you cannot compete for your high school. I heard rumblings of some sort rule in volleyball that if a team had so many club players, the team had to compete in the higher classification. I think this would be nearly impossible to police however.

Anyway, just wanted to pipe in on this issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NOS

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:24 pm

you have some extremely good points there. but with hockey the junior A and B players aren't allowed to play because their team won't let them so they can't risk an injury. other than that you prove some pretty good points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller29

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:15 pm

The thing about hockey is that hockey is really advance in our country most junior b & a players are fulltime hockey players that it interferes with school. other sports in the otherhand is mostly school based and club is for futhur development. Most coaches of club are also involed In school someway and most clubs I believe are started by educators like for volleyball our Ottawa club ottawa maveriks was founded by a OCDDB teacher and also many of the coaches are educators too. Basketball is really linked to school but hockey is differnt it's already part of canadas heritage and it's not somthing a school can really offer as a program.

The main purpose of school sport is education & fair competition. For hockey if all clubs players play on hs team it defeats the purpose of education through sports and will not give chance to others of the school that is intersted to participate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which school?   Today at 7:14 am

Back to top Go down

Which school?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2