HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Ref Blows Game!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CalBall

PostSubject: Ref Blows Game!   Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:37 am

JP Vs Bishop Grandin
With final seconds for a ref to decide a game that important was just astonishing. Congratulations to the ghosts but I myself was in disbelief after watching the ref run out of the gym after the game and im from Calgary and was cheering for Bishop Grandin! Never before have i seen it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:20 am

i want to agree with you i honestly do but jp gave up too many points in the second half(the two that tied and won may be in question if a few calls had of been different, can't change the past) grandin earned that win

if jp had of kept up their stellar first half pace grandin wouldn't have scored 60 so credit to grandin's coaching staff and players
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fatman

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:30 pm

There is no way the ref had anything to do with blowing that game. As runninred has already stated if JP would have shown up in the second half they would have never been in the position to loose.

Firstly how is it the refs fault that JP could not even inbounds the ball with 1.9 seconds left in the game? Just get the ball in play.

Secondly from my vantage point the ref had to make that call. There was definitely a foul on the play and it happened 5 feet away from him. It is nice to see a ref that has the guts to call a game the same in the last minute as he would in he first minute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:17 pm

as much as it wasn't the refs fault, they weren't the greatest maybe you saw the trip on seb or not but there was one key call missed

i don't want to blame it on the refs cause that's not a fair thing to do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
High Flyer

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:06 pm

Having watched the game online, and then spoken to some people that were there, it's impossible to blame the refs. The refs did not throw the ball away with less than 2 seconds on the clock, and the refs did not carelessly foul a player that was likely never going to hit the as the horn went. The big question is, how did Jasper Place blow such a lead, and why did they take their foot off the gas pedal? They were clearly the better team! Did Grandin make a great comeback?....Yes. Did the better team win the game?....No. JP basically gift wrapped the game in the end and handed it over to Grandin. Could JP have beaten Western in the final?.....Absolutely. It's a tough loss to end your High School season on, and you can't blame JP for not showing up in the Bronze game. They probably had no emotion left to play their rival St. FX and just mailed it in. That's my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
canuck

PostSubject: c'est la vie...   Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Like any game/tournament, many games were smudged with questionable calls although, overall, the officiating was pretty fair (not necessarily right, but fair). The game between JP and Grandin isn't the one with the worst call (in fact the last foul was clearly a foul, ref had no choice - too bad JP had dug themselves a hole).

I feel for JP, that's a tough pill to swallow, and Grandin - well, the stars aligned and they were in the right place, battled back and finished a most unlikely upset - congratulations!!

St. FX on the other hand, also came off a disappointing loss, however they chose to play like champions, crushing JP from tip-off to final buzzer, good job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
runninred

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:19 pm

High Flyer wrote:
Having watched the game online, and then spoken to some people that were there, it's impossible to blame the refs. The refs did not throw the ball away with less than 2 seconds on the clock, and the refs did not carelessly foul a player that was likely never going to hit the as the horn went. The big question is, how did Jasper Place blow such a lead, and why did they take their foot off the gas pedal? They were clearly the better team! Did Grandin make a great comeback?....Yes. Did the better team win the game?....No. JP basically gift wrapped the game in the end and handed it over to Grandin. Could JP have beaten Western in the final?.....Absolutely. It's a tough loss to end your High School season on, and you can't blame JP for not showing up in the Bronze game. They probably had no emotion left to play their rival St. FX and just mailed it in. That's my 2 cents.

i agree with pretty much everything you said except you bought up the call(well noncall) that was in question, the noncall in question was where seb got tripped just before the brin threw the ball in, if that had of gotten called would have ended the game, but it is what it is
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cow-town

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 am

The amusement of watching JP's coach go CRAZY on the sideline was definitly worth the botched call. Instead of waiting until the locker room, or pulling the ref to the side, or taking the individual player aside, he just loses it on everything and everyone. I was watching it on the livestream (and whoever was videoing the livestream, thankyou for leaving the camera on him for his entire tantrum), and whatever he was saying to his players couldn't have set well with these 16-17 year old kids or their parents. That was proven by their 36 point effort for the 3rd/4th place game, which was probably more of an embarrasment than the way they lost the semi-final game. Hopefully JP coach apologizes to a few of the players, parents, women and children that were by the bench, and everyone who is a fan of highschool basketball, as he is an Edmonton rep on the Alberta ranking committee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops Ref

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:09 pm

runninred wrote:
High Flyer wrote:

i agree with pretty much everything you said except you bought up the call(well noncall) that was in question, the noncall in question was where seb got tripped just before the brin threw the ball in, if that had of gotten called would have ended the game, but it is what it is

I watched the game online and yes, Sebastian (# 8 for JP) did get knocked down (or possibly tripped), but it did not seem to be intentional. According to the FIBA rules, if the ball is out of bounds in the hands of the person inbounding the ball, if a foul (any foul) is called in this situation, IT MUST BE RULED AS A FLAGRANT OR UNSPORTSMANLIKE FOUL. So if the ref calls a foul at this point, JP shoots 2 free throws and then gets the ball again at center. Can you imagine how the Grandin coach would have reacted? We would all be reading about how the refs screwed Grandin out of the game etc. The refs would have been hung by the referee evaluators for making THAT call in THAT situation. The player throwing the ball in still had plenty of time to choose another option, so he chose to throw the ball away! Too bad, so sad, get over it. Good no call by the refs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ref Blows Game!   Today at 4:36 am

Back to top Go down

Ref Blows Game!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1