HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2014-2015 SEASON

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: 2014-2015 SEASON   Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:48 pm

Ok, I know its early but who has the scoop on the most talented teams at the 4A level this year. Who should be early favorites and what cities have the top teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Calgary High School Girls:

1. Centennial - with Meghan & Emma coming back as Grade 12's and a couple of strong Grade 11 players (Keara & Zoe) coming up from Junior girls, they will be strong.  However, their coach Ken has taken a year off so coaching will be a factor.  Meghan coming off BA U17 as a first Team All-Star would be considered one of the best (if not the best) Grade 12 player out of Calgary

2.  St. Francis - A lot of return players including Brooklyn and a few big posts.  More importantly a strong Junior team (City Champions Jr Div 1) coming up with Summer, Ema and the twins.  They have good coaching and I think the talent on that team could get them to be the top team out of Calgary by the time March comes around.

3. Aberhart - Sarah and Erin are back again for another year with Grade 11 player Marnie.  These girls are the same ones that upset both EP Scarlett and Manning in last year's play-offs and got to the City Championship.  They were out matched last year in the final but with a little bit more experience and maturity, you can't count them out.

4. Bishop Grandin - The Junior team has strong players coming up and a cast of Grade 12 players who, if can stay focused, can do some damage.  The team will have a deep bench but with a shortness of "franchise" players.  Erin, the post from the Jr Team will be their go to player and is one of the top Grade 11 players for her position. They will probably get off to a slow start but they could be one of the most improved teams as the season goes on.

5. EP Scarlett - As long as Hillary is still playing basketball, this team is a threat.  One of the best players in Calgary, and only a Grade 11, she is a game changer.  Will Scarlett have a point guard that can get her the ball is the big question.  Gabe is back again as a Grade 12 but I'm not sure if that's enough.  Hillary can carry a team on her back however when you look at the top 4 teams, it may be too much for her to handle.

6. Ernest Manning - Manning has lost their coaches but still has four strong players.  Andie, Sarah and Amy are all now in Grade 12 and with Madison who played on the senior team last year in Grade 10, they will have 4 talented players on the team.  The biggest issue for Manning is that they will not have the size to compete with players like Summer (Francis), Erin (Grandin), Ema (Centennial), Hillary (Scarlett) and Sarah (Aberhart).  I wouldn't take them lightly but I don't think they'll be a threat for top 3 in Calgary

7. Western - Probably the youngest team in the city.  Last year they called up 4 Grade 10 players (Megan, Ema, Jessica, Claire) onto the Senior team and only had 1 Grade 11 player last year.  This means it is very possible they may not have a single Grade 12 player on their team.   They have a very strong Grade 10 class coming in with Kamsi, Claire and Jordan but will they play on the Junior team or be called up. They will need at least a year of experience to play at this level.  Like last year, Western will upset a few teams but they are still in rebuild mode.

8.  St. Mary's - Malieah is gone so they just got real short.  Alexa is back and will carry the team.  A couple other Grade 12 players will be great role players.  St. Mary's will bring up their best Grade 10 players but their Grade 10 class coming in doesn't bring with them size which is what St. Mary's is looking for.  Coaching seems to always be strong.

9. Bishop Carroll - Losing 3 players from last year (Nathania, Jenna and Vladka) Bishop Carroll is in a rebuild year.  They had a reasonably good Jr Team however I wouldn't expect great things from them.  They need at least 1 more year of rebuild but should be alot stronger next year.

These are my thoughts and opinions on the landscape of High School girls in Calgary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 pm

Girlballer - Great breakdown and well explained, hard to disagree. I really think it will be a 3 team race between Centennial, Abe, and Francis.... where they finish your guess is a good as mine. I agree Centennial wont be as strong as they would have been if Coach Ken was there. Having said that though they do still have a good starting 5 but wont have much of a bench. I have to also agree with you on your comments on Abe. I do think Abe has more players than the ones you mentioned plus they're well coached so I wouldn't be surprised if they made it back to Crescent Heights. Francis could very well be the #1 seed at higher hoops as everything you mentioned is accurate. The goal for both Francis and Abe will be to win the north so they avoid centennial in a playoff semifinal.

Great insight - keep posting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:34 pm

Asked around to get some 4A Boys info and the consensus was that the top three in the strong zones would be:

South- LCI, Med Hat, Cardston
Calgary- Churchill, McNally, O'Byrne
Edmonton- Ainlay, O'Leary, Ross Shep

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bball101

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:37 am

What about female teams in 3A?
Any thoughts on the teams that made it to provincials last year?
Also, what are your predictions for the female north central, central and east zones?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am

Any changes to preseason rankings as we close in on the 2014/15 season??
Are any draws out yet for early season tournaments or does anyone know whos playing in what tournaments??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:54 pm

Jasper Place REB Tournament teams:

Senior Women

Jasper Place Rebels - Edmonton Alberta

Harry Ainlay Titans - Edmonton, Alberta

TBA (appears that Riverside California team has dropped out)

Paul Kane Blues - St Albert, Alberta

St Albert Catholic Skyhawks - St Albert, Alberta

Spruce Grove Panthers - Spruce Grove, Alberta

William Aberhart Orange - Calgary, Alberta

Western Canada Redmen - Calgary, Alberta

Lethbridge Collegiate Institute Rams - Lethbridge, Alberta

Evan Hardy Collegiate Souls - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Holy Cross Crusaders - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

St Joseph Guardians - Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

Thanks for the information.
Looks like SG and St Albert will be the teams to beat.
It'll be interesting to see the schedule when it comes out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:16 pm

SACHS is easily the strongest of the AB teams in the tournament, but don't sleep on Sask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 2014-2015 SEASON   Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:01 pm

That is a very solid field for the REB tournament - Bev Facey has been added to replace Riverside. As for top teams in the Edmonton area, and contenders for the REB tourney title, I think the top Edmonton teams are there.
While we return 8 of 10 players, I can't understate the importance of Kayla Ivicak who is playing decent minutes this year for GMAC in the CIS. SACHS will have size and experience but may have to play PG by committee as both Kayla and Izabelle (playing at OLDS) were our primary PGs last year. We return Brielle Wise and Marinya Marcichiw who played on the U17 provincial team along with a number of former provincial team players (U15/U16). We have a good group of grade 10's looking to work their way onto the team.
Spruce Grove will be easily as tough picking up one of the best grade 10's in the province at a guard spot in Jenna Harpe - she is a tough defender and can score inside/out. Having coached her in club, she will make an impact on a very deep SG team. They have 4 players who were on the U of A PEBL team and a U17 Provincial team player in Kathryn Sutherland. Vanessa Wild was too old by a week or so, otherwise she would have played U17 as well - they don't have a dominant "big" but are athletic, well coached and will run.
Harry Ainley seems to be forgotten in people's minds and I don't understand why... Mackenzie Cook (6'0) is committed to the Pandas and they had 2 other girls playing on PEBL team. They had a very good junior team with a number of girls playing CP or attending Oldhams/Dedrick Panthawk academy. They have a new/old coach as Kristi Marsh is taking over so I would not count they out as both league and provincial contenders.
Paul Kane rounds out the top 4 with a solid group returning from a 4A provincial run last year. Had Sydney Hurlburt not suffered a concussion prior to provincials (she was used sparingly), their results might have been different. Coach Hurlburt has been doing a ton of extra stuff with this team and this is the year it may pay off. They have talented players at the guard and wing spots - but are generally undersized inside. Ashley Thomas was a Shooting All-stars 4A rookie POY. There's not a chance I would underestimate on these ladies.
DARK HORSE in Edmonton is JP - they have some young talent with 2 U15 provincial team players who can really play. They return some shooters and athletes. I cannot remember if they have size to go with their perimeter play. I know my club team played them in the spring and they were tough for sure.
Those would be my top 5
After the top 5, it's anyones guess as there has been coaching turnovers;
New coaches in Scona, St. FX, O'Leary may have new coach or be playing in lower tier (rumor only...)

Other programs that are solid just might not have the depth to compete with the top teams - FX still has Sophia, ABJ is solid, Bev Facey will have some solid returning players as well although Stu Carr may not be back as his daughter has graduated to GMAC.

Just a few thoughts on the Edmonton area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JF1914

PostSubject: REB   Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:34 pm

We should have the REB tourney draw out soon, likely next week. Check the website for updates and teams taking part should get an email! With 12 teams this year instead of 8, and a variety from Edmonton, Sask, and Southern Alberta it makes it tough to have a fair draw but so that familiar teams don't see each other early in games that matter. I always really try to have it so the best 4 teams end up in the semi-finals so that it's a competitive, exciting tournament! I think we've got it figured out, and all in all, should be exciting!

I agree with the posts so far about how the girls teams can be predicted. SG, SACHS and Ainlay are definitely the favourites in Edmonton. Things could go all over the place this year too with the rest of the teams with how much new coaching and young talented players there are out there. Looking forward to fully getting started! I'm sure there's a lot of people out there as anxious as me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: REB draw   Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:00 pm

REB draw for Senior girls:

Top of the draw
Bev Facey vs. St. Joseph's (Saskatoon). Winner plays Spruce Grove
Jasper Place vs. Western Canada. Winner plays Holy Cross

Bottom of the draw

Paul Kane vs. Aberhart. Winner plays Harry Ainlay
Evan Hardy vs. LCI. Winner plays SACHS
Back to top Go down