HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2015 Girls Top 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: 2015 Girls Top 10   Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Coach DJR isn't it  time to roll out the girls top 10 for 2015 list;)

To recap where we finished of last year.

1. BMHS
2. KV
3. Woodstock
T-4. FHS
T-4. Sussex
6. LHHS
7.Riverview
8. MVHS
9. Rothesay
10. JCS

I will start with the first list. There are a couple teams I am not overly familiar with so may not be in touch with how many girls  exited with graduation.

1. BMHS -- until someone cracks the 1-3-1 zone (zone should be banned in girls basketball!!!) when it counts they get the benefit of the doubt. Lots of players on the court playing provincial or club this summer.
2. FHS - 5 girls played together this summer on U17. They did not do great...but they at least played and that may be good enough for NB.
3. Sussex - Lot's of girls on the court this summer playing club or provincial. Ton of players coming up of talented JV team.
T-4. Woodstock -- Always in the mix. Not a lot of the visibility on the club or provincial team scene this summer, so they may drop fast. Well coached, so keeping them up near the top until tip off.
T-4. Riverview - Newman and Murphy hard at work in U17 this summer. Rest of the team played club all summer.
T-6. LHHS -- Two club teams on  the court all summer working hard. Several players in provincial program. They play hard and physical every game.
T-6 KV - lost lots of seniors. Very little representation on provincial teams this summer. Well coached. Lack any substantial size.
T-8 MVHS - Young team last year. Had girls playing and working on their game in U15 and U16 this summer. May be getting much needed big back from knee injury.
T-8 SJHS - Everyone back.  Several girls worked hard on their game in U15 and U16 this summer. Large group of JV girls moving to varsity. Will have decent talent all the way to player 12.
10 Harbourview - Strong JV team is rolling into varsity this year.

Looking in:
Rothesay ( Heard that Flood is doing another exchange year. Higher if she is back)
JCS (defeated by SJHS last year in juvenile age class so they get bumped).
Fundy - Bantam AA champions from 3 years ago are now in grade 11 and 10. Can they translate middle school success to high school.

It is going to be a great year in the Southern conference AAA this year with four teams being competitive. I give the nod to Sussex as being the cream of the crop. But after that there is going to be a battle for seeds 2 through 4. No matter who finishes fourth, it will not be a cake walk game for Number 1 out the West this year in the regionals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Great start up djr, thx going to respond with several questions, help needed
1 Bmhs assuming their coaches are back, should be strong; congrats to Haley Oblenis, walk on at Mun
2 Fhs, lots of players, good size, who is coaching heard K.Daley stepping down? Congrats Olivia Hazlett playing at Laurentian
3 Sussex, lots of young players, how they handle pressure will be key, hear head coach out, will Maclenan coach?
4Riverview, they may surprise ,depends on coach, will Gould reappear, or help?
5 Kvhs, look for Jensen to emerge as leader will be difficult replacing Macdonald at Dal, Mctague, walk on at X.
6 Lhhs, not certain they can replace graduates, might be one more year before Daley can make it his
7 SJhs, Mayberry been there long enough to show that they can compete
8Woodstock, giving them this spot, maybe higher, based on history and coaching, Alexander at Dal will be missed
9 Rothesay, they will be around, feeder system is solid in Kv, Flood in Costa Rica will be missed
That's all I got, should be fun. AAA champions will be Fhs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoop dreamer

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Can't argue with the rankings...top 5 are solid , bottom 5 interchangeable ...will likely be lots of movement up and down as season progresses

Just some things

BMHS coaches are back

Sussex does have a coaching change , as of last week ,new coaches have not yet been named . Whoever it is will have a lot of last minute scheduling to do

SJHS will be dark horse as they graduated nobody,but despite great coaching , they do little summer work

FHS ( aka NB U17 girls) will be tough as usual but not much coming from A JV team that struggled last year. So will they have the depth they accustomed to. Tumwine will be / is best player in province right now and will be highly recruited by next level teams.

Also according to NBIAA web page Rothesay High is registered in AAA south conference....is that for real or a typo?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Great time to start this topic up again.

In terms of questions:

Rothesay is listed in AAA boys and Girls for basketball on the NBIAA website but is listed as AA sized school in the classification section. Not sure which is the typo or if they finally approved RHS to play up.

Sussex coaches are still unknown and will need games fast.

My earliest preseason top 10:

1. BMHS - I'm not sure that this will hold but I'm big believer in you are the champ until you beat the champ. Last year no one prepared? expected? to have to beat them and they took care of buisness. They can reload everyear and have some great players coming back so they should be tough.

2. FHS - While the lack of pity for the Kitty is pretty evident on this board and in general I still think they have arguably the best dpeth at talent and if not talent at least talented size in the province this year. 2nd year with new coaching staff and all player who've played for these coaches for a number of years seem could be poised to breakout. FHS is always in the position where everyone wants to see Goliath lose but when they go down they've underachieved. We'll see how they respond to those expectations this season.

3. Sussex* - Sussex on paper has the probably the best 1-12 depth of skilled basketball players in the province. The asterix is because who the coach is will have a big say in who those 12 are, how they are played and how much continuity and success they have. They can basically roll the ball out and beat most conference opponents so how much competition they find and how they respond are big question marks.

4. LHHS - I'm going to bump they up into this catgeory. Solid coaching that can prepare them for big games and moments. Built on gritty kids that spend time in the gym like few other programs have. Can beat anyone on a given night and just might this year.

5. Riverview - They are another gritty defensive team. Size and consistent scoring are issues but will defend tough.

6. SJHS - I think this is their year to grow. They have the returning talent to be the 2nd best team in the south which is important because at regionals time you avoid FHS/LHHS. Their young kids who've been playing have improved and ton and the supporting case of athletes and shooters gives them a lot more fire power. Then teams 've got them ahead of.

7. Woodstock - Big drop for the champs. When you lose 4 of 5 starters who are CIS or ACAA players or calibre players though that is huge hole. Injuries to players have limited them in the offseason and what does a change in expectation for AA competition mean year two with less players who've been in the trenches in AAA. Younger but still tough and talented odds on favorite in AA until someone shows otherwise.

8. Rothesay - So much athleticism and talent so many questions. We don't even know if they are AA or AAA right now but they have a large group of seniors and multiple former provincial team players. Now are they all healthy? Are they all in the gym trying to get ready to win a title? Are they all going to stay in the country for an entire season? Top level talent can their coaching keep them focused and all players available and ready to compete.

9. KVHS - Such a drop? But look at what they lost. Some talent left but will once again not be real deep and missing a bunch of offensive fire power. They looked frustrated with one star down in the final what will they look like missing numerous ones.

10. MVHS - Strong program could challenge for 2nd in the east. Young but maturing talent.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:34 am

Here's my take on the preseason top 10 right now:

1) Fredericton - Had the benefit of 1/2 their potential team playing together all summer on U17 team, also other players playing provincial ball. Lots of talented players, Great size and good guards, also like the coaching. Only question is how the bench will blend with the starters. Right now #1 until opening weekend then things might change.

T-2) Bernice MacNaughton - Ranked low all last year and walked away the Champs. Coaches are back for another year which is a big plus for the team. Lots of young eager players looking to make the jump to Varsity from JV. Most of the potential roster played either club or provincial ball so expect a challenge out of the gate with the Highlanders. Major drawbacks are that they lost at least 4 key senior players off their roster. Will this year's seniors be healthy and will team chemistry play a roll in MacNaughton's success or failure? The talent is definitely there, will have to wait and see.

T-2) Leo Hayes - Seen these girls play over the summer as a unit. Not a big team but gritty and balanced with the appearance of good team chemistry. Good coaching and strong support from their local minor association (NMBA) that is deeply dedicated to player development, expect strong fan support at home games. I think they deserve to be in the top 3, but time will tell.

4) Sussex - Team did well at BNB Age Class in March. There were a lot of kids playing club for the summer and representation on all BNB summer squads. Loads of talent, but uncertainty with no known coach in place. We know these kids can play, but can the players all adapt to the transition of a coaching change smoothly? The overall success rests solely on who the new coach will be.

5) Riverview - A good balance of players playing BNB provincial ball over the summer with the rest playing club ball. Strong defensively, speedy and a projected deep bench. Their program looks to have stabilized with a good coaching staff in place at both JV and Varsity levels. Consistency and injuries were a major issues last year, need to shake those demons and beat one of the above teams to move up the list.

6) Saint John High - Expect a breakout season coming for these girls. Can't wait to see what this team brings to the court. A young determined team that keeps getting better. Will have to play some good teams and get into some quality tournaments to show they can compete with the top of the list.

7) KVHS - Lost key players, and only a few girls out playing summer ball that I seen. They'll have new blood moving up from a talented JV squad, but team is in rebuilding mode. I expect a drop before a gain in placement.

Cool MVHS - Moving up the ladder. Beat Riverview and MacNaughton last year to show they can play in the top half of the list, will the trend continue? Small fast team overall but can shoot and play defense, can also get gritty when they need to. Expect them to climb but like Saint John will have to play some of the top 5 or 6 teams.

9) Rothesay - too many questions to place them any higher. Are they healthy, how deep will their roster be and will key players return? Are they ready to play AAA? .....Woodstock was last year no questioning that, maybe Rothesay will be the next team to pick off the AAA giants?

10) Woodstock - Still have some good talent kicking around but did lose the core. Younger and will need to gain experience. Still top of the AA division as long as Rothesay plays AAA.

Honourable mention to both Fundy and Harbourview who could crack the list with a win over any of the above teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Updates that may or may not impact list.

Rothesay girls - AA and Flood away for the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Do not mistake not being visible in the summer tournaments with a club team as not doing summer work. If memory serves me right you get better by practicing. Having scrimmages against current and former university level athletes can also help your game improve!!

I would also not over rate the Fredericton High group that played U17 too much. The spent the summer laying back in a zone playing what I can best describe as the least athletic brand of girls basketball I have seen in a long time. This resulted in them placing 9th at Nationals. They will benefit by being very familiar with each other, but as some of these other teams gel over the course of the year the Kitty is vulnerable on the athletic level. They have
1) Issues putting the ball on the deck and getting to the basket.
2) Tiny point guard that can easily be double teamed into trap situations.
3) Need to find a perimeter shooter to take the pressure of constantly going to Eva on the post.
4) A JV team the struggled to put a team on the floor last year and had very little participation on the BNB summer squads from the young athletes.

I was very impressed with the club teams out of Moncton this summer. They were running hard and playing aggressive man to man defenses. Those girls were upping their athletic quotient.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: End of November Things Should be in Focus   Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 pm

NB girls are hopping over the Confederation Bridge to PEI the last weekend in November.

7 out of top 10 preseason favourites are in the house for the Colonel Gray Classic.

McNaughton
Fredericton
Leo Hayes
Woodstock
KV
Saint John High
Sussex

Guaranteed round robin matches between SJ and Fredericton, McNaughton and Sussex, KV and Leo Hayes and then many more intra-NB games during the cross over action.

Schedule play of Fredericton High versus Leo Hayes, Sussex versus Harbourview (my pick for dark horse team this year), Saint John High and McNaughton is all happening before the end of November. The reshuffling of the top 10 should happen pretty quickly this year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Who will end up coaching Varsity girls in Sussex , did they undergo a change?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Good question for everyone's benefit Peter Mac better be on the bench in some capacity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoop dreamer

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:12 pm

Mark Flemming is the new head coach of Sussex and rumour has it P Mac is assisting .

Won't have to wait for Colonal grey tourney to adjust ranking. Early tourney in Freddy ( at LHHS) has Riverview ,BMHS , FHS ,KVHS , LHHS and Moncton High along with AA Powers WHS and Rothesay high...

Year starting off with a bang .... Lots of top bball in Nov
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HisAirness

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:40 am

I'm not sure we are going to call Rothesay High a AA powerhouse anymore....... Flood is out for this season, Sophie the grade 12 point guard has transferred to SJHS. Their JV girls team just folded due to lack of participation and the varsity girls started with only eight players. Along with a coaching staff that has been successful at the middle school level but Is unproven at the varsity level. It could be a long season for these girls with no relief in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:28 am

I agree with His Airness re: Rothesay. I can not see them staying in the top 10 conversation. I think KVHS is also in a down cycle this year. KVHS may be as low as 3rd in Southwest AAA by the end of the year.

The move of Sophie from Rothesay over to SJHS adds even more depth to a team that people were expecting to be on the rise this year. SJHS vs. McNaughton on Nov. 11 to start the season should be a pretty good indicator on the spread between top several teams in the province and the teams starting the season ranked 6-8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 am

Can someone share dates for early season tournaments, ie Lions den, Fhs etc thx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:57 am

Pretty sure the following might be close to somehow being near correct:

Lions Den Nov, 14-16
Fredericton Dec. 12-13
Thunder Valley Dec. 27-29
DTC Dec. 31 - Jan 3????
Riverboat ?????

Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:06 am

Here are some of the major AAA girls tournaments I'm aware of:

1. Lion's Den Northside Fredericton -- Nov 14/15
2. Halifax Grammar -- Nov 21/22
3. C.P. Allen Halifax -- Nov 28/29
4. Colonel Grey -- End of Nov (unsure of the dates)
5. Moncton Ladies Hoop Classic -- Dec 3-6
6. Rick Cotter Classic -- Dec 12/13
7. Dairytown Classic Sussex -- Jan 1-3
8. C.E.C. Truro -- Jan 9/10
9. River Boat -- Jan (unsure of dates)
10. Riverview NB -- Jan 31 - Feb 1st
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Notable ommissions may make changes to lots of teams. The rumour mill flys this time of year but in the end teams with enough talent, drive and leadership will reach their potential.

Absences or changes that impact girls basketball in NB this year (others can feel free to add to the list if they feel like - Also make changes if I'm incorrect). There are obivously going to be injuries that account for lots of things but I'm just focused on key permanent changes or shifts on rosters.

Colipitts and Wilson not playing at Freddy.
Flood not at Rothesay all year studying abroad.
Leonard transfers from Rothesay to SJHS.
Dufrense not playing for JCS all year medical.
. . .

Someone else may have more info on NE schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: What is wrong with Dufrense? She played soccer all year   Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:01 am

CoachDJR wrote:
Notable ommissions may make changes to lots of teams. The rumour mill flys this time of year but in the end teams with enough talent, drive and leadership will reach their potential.

Absences or changes that impact girls basketball in NB this year (others can feel free to add to the list if they feel like - Also make changes if I'm incorrect). There are obivously going to be injuries that account for lots of things but I'm just focused on key permanent changes or shifts on rosters.

Colipitts and Wilson not playing at Freddy.
Flood not at Rothesay all year studying abroad.
Leonard transfers from Rothesay to SJHS.
Dufrense not playing for JCS all year medical.
. . .

Someone else may have more info on NE schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Not made aware of specifics of condition. Just made aware based on a social media announcement she made that other players saw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:54 pm

LHHS 81- JMH 47
Fredericton 85 - MVHS 40
Sussex 71 - Fundy 42

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoop dreamer

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:06 am

Lions Den schedule for anyone interested

Lions Den Tournament

Girls Divisions​ Boys Divisions

Leo Hayes​ Fredericton ​ Leo Hayes​ Fredericton
BMHS​ KVHS​ Saint John High​ KVHS
Woodstock. ​Riverview​ Auburn​ Prince Andrew​
Moncton High​ Rothesay​

Friday, November 14th

@ Leo Hayes​ @ Fredericton High
(G) 1:00pm Woodstock​v Leo Hayes. (G) 2:45pm Rothesay​v Riverview​(
(B) 4:30pm Fredericton​ vs KVHS
(G) 6:15pm Moncton ​v BMHS​​ (G) 6:00pm ​KVHS​ vs. Fredericton
(B) 8:00pm SJHS​ ​v Leo Hayes

Saturday, November 15th

(G) 9:00am ​Woodstock​ vs. Moncton.
(B) 10:45am ​Prince Andrew​v KVHS​ ​(B) 10:45am​Auburn​ vs. SJHS
(G) 12:30pm ​KVHS​v Rothesay​ (G) 12:30pm ​Fredericton​v Riverview
(G) 2:30pm​Leo Hayes​v Moncton. ​(G) 2:30pm ​Woodstock​v BMHS
(G) 4:15pm​Riverview​v KVHS​​ (B) 4:15pm​Fredericton​v Prince And.​
(B) 6:00pm​Leo Hayes​v Auburn​​ (G) 6:00pm​Rothesay​v Fredericton
(G) 8:00pm​BMHS​​v Leo Hayes​

Sunday, November 16th

(B) 9:00am​Crossover​ (B) 9:00am​Crossover
(G) 10:45am​Crossover​ (G) 10:45am​Crossover
(B) 12:30pm​3 A​v​3 B​
(B) 2:15pm​FINALS
(G) 4:15pm​FINALS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:12 pm

After the first weekend not much movement on the girls side should see more this weekend at Lion's Den to create seperation.

LHHS, FHS and Sussex all beat teams they were supposed to beat. LHHS game vs MVHS was a little tighter then I would have expected but still a solid win.

No other scores of note that I've seen on the girls side in terms of top 10 teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Well it did not take for number 1 to topple. Bernice MacNaughton loses their opener to Saint John High 51-43. Deep bench for Saint John pays off. Get MacNaughton in foul trouble. Three starters foul out (Buckingham, Boyce ). Saint John's Stewart on the inside and Magee's outside shot did the damage.

If things play out in Miramichi tournament this weekend, will probably see Sussex and Saint John High in final. Tell the tale on whether Saint John is legit , or if MacNaughton was was over hyped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Hm. Not to take anything from sj but I recall bmhs struggling much of last yr and then as was so well put in a comment regarding lhhs, it's all about winning the last 3 games, which if memory serves, bmhs did last yr. if bmhs has their coaches back they will get better and losing to a school out of conf. Will speed things along. How could anyone be overhyped?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:06 am

Pre Lions Den Top 10 - Nov. 12

1 - Fredericton - Really took care of buisness in their one opportunity. Dominated an opponent wire to wire with 40 pt win vs top 10 MVHS. Look like a favorite at the Lions Den as far as NB teams go.

2. Sussex - Out ran and out worked only opponent so far beating Fundy by 28. Deep, talented and playing fast. Struggled when the game slowed down but execution is always rough in Nov.

3. LHHS - Got two wins last weekend easily over JMH and less impressively but solid against MVHS. Haven't done anything to deserve a drop yet. Lions Den should show if this is too high.

4. SJHS - Moving them up. Nov wins don't mean a lot in the grand scheme of things, but since this is a weekly top 10 and you beat the team I previously had #1 up they come. Will be deep and talented will have to see how they shake out as teams other teams have to start game planning for them. Hopefully they'll see Sussex and a couple of other strong teams in Mirarmichi to sort it all out.

5. BMHS - Big drop but only one game to judge. Tough when kids have to play varsity games for the first time and your fall programs go on deep playoff runs. Seems to me they struggled early last year and even disappeared for a while to come roaring back late. Maybe that's the plan again.

6. RIverview - No movement. No news. Can challenge in the east but nothing to report so only bumped down 1 by movement past them.

7. Woodstock - No new no movement.

8. MVHS - I'll probably take some heat for moving a team that lost 2 games up 2 spots but they are out playing and competing even short handed. THis will make them tougher later. More accurate reading once the tourney is done this weekend.

9. KVHS - Nothing new. Nothing to add except it looks like they are clearly starting the year in the 3rd spot in the south unless they can take down SJHS or Sussex.

10. Rothesay - Less and less Red Hawk love. Loss of two key seniors (Centre and PG) creates lots of questions about how they will respond. Dropping JV program could help depth for 1 year but spells real problems for program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Today at 11:00 am

Back to top Go down

2015 Girls Top 10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next