HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2015 Girls Top 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Playoffs are going to be a crap shoot. For the first time in the last few years, seven of the eight teams that go to the second weekend in AAA all have a shot at upsetting each other. It is a shame the system is setup the way it is to let a soft team like Moncton take part in the second weekend. Winning the Southwest essentially gets you a free ride to the sectional final. If they were not in the mix , all eight teams would be in the running!!!

Fredericton has to the be the favourite only losing once in NB this season. Can Sussex get their big healthy for playoff time? Can KV keep evolving and improving (and can their kids rack up big minutes with a short bench)? Can anyone overcome MacNaughton zone? Will Newman have a big game for Riverview and help take them to the next level? Will Leo Hayes be allowed by the refs to play physical tough basketball that they need to win. Can MVHS get the game into defensive grind mode and eke out an upset. Can SJHS get the game into run and gun mode and drop enough outside shots.

Lets see Sussex only team to beat Freddy. KV beats Sussex, SJHS. MVHS beats Riverview, SJHS. SJHS beats MacNaughton and Sussex. Riverview downs Sussex and MacNaughton. Coach DJR ratings computer will be working overtime tomorrow morning.

Its also cold/flu season so one or two key players getting a cold playoff weekend could be costly with all the teams so close.

Too early to make predictions in this pool. Have to see if there are any significant injuries to any of the teams going into the sectionals. With the pack being so tight , one sprained ankle could make the difference on a team getting to Harbour Station. I think Fredericton has enough talent to deal with adversity and make it through to Harbour Station. That can not be said for the other six teams in the mix!!!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy15

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:57 am

In Girls action: Freddie is still the team to beat for sure. Losing to Sussex by 5 was an anomaly to be honest, as evidenced by the more realistic thrashing delivered to Sussex by FHS the next day. That being said, Sussex is likely the only team that can compete with FHS at this point. BMHS looks athletic and has truck loads of talent, but they simply cannot get it done for the whole game against FHS who are the best closing team in the province.

Riverview is inconsistent, KV is the same. LHHS isn't even in the same league due to being so undisciplined most games. No control. [refs should certainly allow girls teams to compete the way they let boys].

MVHS and SJHS suffer from inconsistency as well. They compete effectively for certain Quarters, they just cannot seem to string enough of them together against the bigger programs.

We are at a point in the season however where it comes down to a game, which means a key player being sick, injured or in foul trouble has huge implications with little room for recovery. Regionals and Sectionals can be unforgiving, even for those programs that prepare all year, in the end, it sometimes comes down to a single factor or two in a given game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:52 pm

I am not quite sure I agree with you Tommy on Sussex defeating Fredericton being an anomaly!! Sussex shot very well the first quarter and this was a big part of the win. If their outside shooters get going they are capable of nailing the 3 ball and going on obscene runs.

The anomaly was the final game the next afternoon. This game needs the asterisk. Sussex most effective interior defender (her name escapes me) took an elbow to the face and went down out cold in the second half of the round robin game and left the gym under the care of paramedics. She is a tough gritty defender/rebounder who competes hard!! They need her to be able to slow down the Fredericton bigs down the middle.

If she is back 100% for playoffs , then Sussex can give Fredericton a run. If she is not back, then the Kitty will roll over Sussex.

There are a lot of surprising scores this year that people need to get the back story on. How did Miramichi blow out Woodstock? Carr girl missing. MVHS over SJHS in Potato Barrel final , SJHS two starters missing . Sussex rolls over KV...KV missing two starters. SJHS over Sussex, Sussex internal defender missing. Stay tuned ...going to be an exciting finish!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy15

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:01 am

Fair point Sou...i'll agree with you...will be an exciting finish.

Saw WHS for the first time tonight and the Kitty had a tough time to honest. Carr girl is a load and one of the best all around players i've seen this year, scoring 27 against Kats.

FHS and WHS tied in 4th until Kats' Eva took over and they won by 10 in the final 5 minutes to maintain overall number 1 spot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:11 am

Carr girl was the biggest surprise play of the year for me. If you let her post up low and do not get the double team on her in time, she has a deadly little turn around jumper. If you have a slow big that cant get around her and front her fast enough , she is going to put up big numbers against you. If you have an post player that is fast on her feet and can jump, then you can take her out of the game. One or two blocked shots on her and she changes her game (Saw it at the Potato Barrel Classic).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Jan 30   Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:10 am

End of Jan Top 10:

1) Fredericton - Kitty still has only 1 loss and keeps finishing strong. Someone is going to have to shoot well and out play them early, middle and late. Regionals at Black Kat HQ looks like a tall order if someone else wants to host.

2) BMHS - For about the next 8 spots things could go anyway. BMHS gets the nod as they take pole position in NE with big win over RHS. Now you have to be able to go there in two weekends to crack the defending champs. Might be getting some of that mojo back.

3) Riverivew - Up and down all year even as the likely 2 seed in the NE would not have an easy game at sectionals. Defend well have found ways to score. Going to be scrappy and physical all night.

4) Sussex - Who the heck knows. Argument could be made this is too high and too low. When they can run and make shots they look like world beaters. Lack of interior presence hurts them 5 on 5 defensively. If you take care of the ball and they have a human shooting night maybe most beatable in the top 5. Problem is that if they start making shots and get energy ramped up on D they've got a best talent to beat anyone in the top 5.

5) KV - Looks like a team that is relying on young players to play big everynight. As a result a little inconsistent. Need the score of games to be way down and need to grind out extra points. Don't have the night in night out fire power to score a ton.

6) MVHS - Keeping them here ahead of SJHS only because we know they are moving on to sectionals weekend. Have some shooters and need to turn you over to protect their rim. If you can handle the chaos they don't have rim protectors. Tough game for them to win in the first 1 at sectionals no matter who they get. Needs to be low scoring and they need to bang shots.

7) SJHS - They can beat teams ahead of them but need their game. THey need lots of posessions (probably 80 plus) they also need to get shots up. If they are allowed to play at pace and start drilling threes they have enough fire power to stay in games and beat good teams. Kitty is terrible matchup for them as they can dictate pace with ball skills and length, but everyone else they can hang with.

Cool WHS - Front runner in AA. Hosting regionals. Playing much tougher competition and getting ready for another deep playoff run. INside they've got size who can finish and make shots. Outside they've got young, long defenders on the perimeter. Have potential to bang shots. Matchup well with Kitty but have struggled with teams ahead of them in the win/loss column all year.

9) LHHS - Pretty sure these kids and coach must be tired of feeling like bridesmaids. So many tough games this year, as rugged and physical as any girls team out there. Game vs SJHS in Freddy for regionals might play into their favour. Tough that 1 of these two has to be on the outside looking in sectionals weekend.

10) Fundy - Currently first in the AA south. Have beaten everyone they've played in AA except Woodstock. Have a date in Rothesay to settle 1st in the south that keeps getting moved. Battle tested early in the year playing a number of top 10 teams. January schedule/weather has been brutal but the 1 game played was a big win over Rothesay to put them here.

Next 5 - Rothesay, Moncton, JMH, JCS, CNHS/SVHS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:07 am

Any chance you would ever consider the Harvey Lady Lakers in even your "Next 5" ? They will finish a strong season tonight going 10-0 in league play as well as 17-4 in exhibition games for a 27-4 record. Their losses included 2 to JCS early in the season but since then they have been pretty strong.

From stats on NBIAA as follows
Harvey 27-4
James M Hill 14-7
John Caldwell 13-6
CNHS 5-5 ( not sure why they only list 10 games)
SVHS 14-8

I realize they are a "lowly" A team but they did go 4-2 against "AA" teams and 23-2 against "A"

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:29 am

Definitely in the mix. Haven't been looking at overall record as much as competition amongst the top teams. I know that teams like JMH, JCS and Rothesay have had single digit games with other teams in the top 10.

Other then results of JCS games how have they faired against any other teams in the Top 10?

I find the NBIAA site incredibly difficult to navigate. Teams don't put games up, games get put up in strange places, you know teams are playing more games. Have to search by date . .  .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:36 pm

I think you need to recalibrate your ratings computer a bit Coach.

5 beats 3 and gets moved to 2.
7 beats 2 and stays at 7? 7 has also beat 2 in their only meeting this year?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:22 pm

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
I think you need to recalibrate your ratings computer a bit Coach.

5 beats 3 and gets moved to 2.
7 beats 2 and stays at 7? 7 has also beat 2 in their only meeting this year?

Fair but in a season where 2-7/8/9 everyone can beat everyone it all sort of comes out in the wash. 7 does beat 2 but with 2 short handed and in an exh game. 2 won the league games that mattered. That mattered. 1 and 2 have put themselves in the drivers seats to host sectionals next 4 spots because of what they've done will also be there. 7 is good but also first team on the list who might not be there sectionals weekend. Have a good showing at regionals get a high seed you will fly up. Host a sectional and we'll put you at the top of the charts.

In terms of moving BMHS up to 2. They are the defending champs have won the right to host sectionals. Last year I had them too low and got burned, if I'm getting burned this year it won't be for the same reason.

If I'm shaky on anything its the whole 4-5-7 situation of the south. Expected a clearer picture at this point. Help a guy out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Post REgionals TOp 10   Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:01 am

In the words of classic 1986 Aliens movie "There's movement all over the place"

1. Sussex - Big wins at regionals. Looked real tough on the road. Hosting sectionals at the Dome is enough to get them to the number 1 spot going into Sectionals. Though clearly just 1 of 7 teams with a shot in AAA but only one who gets an easier sectional matchup in game 1 vs a Moncton team that the top teams have handled easily all year.

2. BMHS - Leaving them at #2 just because hosting sectionals should make you a favorite but under real pressure to get it done at home with their first game being against an SJHS team that is playing well and has beaten them in that gym already this year and with KV and MVHS there too. My guess is you'll see some 1-3-1

3. KV - Young kids and role player stepping up. Teams youth isn't looking all that young right now. Can play small or big and defend either way too. Tough out. Can they win back to back big games? Earned their way to this spot with a #2 SW finish.

4. Fredericton - Feels a bit like the NCAA football rankings with just waiting for a reason to drop them. 2 losses to NB schools now. Beat up and struggling to make shots at a bad time of year. I still expect them to be in the Sectional final vs Sussex but now its a much longer road to HS.

5. SJHS - Looking good at the right time of year. Definitely still beatable in games where people take care of the ball and finish in games when they aren't making shots. They must be making host BMHS nervous.

6. Riverview - Probably their turn to be disrespected and this may be too low. But #2 in NE means you get a motivated Fredericton in the first round. Not what they thought they were earning. Tough matchup for undersized defensive minded team. Should be a great game.

7. MVHS - Great season so far. Hopefully they can make a big splash at Sectionals. Time to beat big teams when it is on the line.

8. Woodstock - Looking like the front runner in AA girls with solid wins at home vs two other top contenders. Still at home through sectionals. Should be at HS unless Rothesay can find a way to get stops.

9. LHHS - Disappointment for lots of reasons. Not moving on, losing quality coach, lots of work put in last offseason for worse finish this season. Keeping them here because they are clearly a top 10 team with wins and great competition vs rest of top 10.

10. Fundy - Finished number 2 in AA SW. Battled with WHS in their gym for 3 quarters.

Next 5: Rothesay, JMH, Harvey, SVHS, Moncton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:04 am

Coach Djr up early and doing some very good writing, Thx.
Agree Sussex looked very good on weekend and will be tough at home, must be folks shining up cow bells as we speak. They can shoot and run great combo, tad weak on rebounding. Certainly had swagger to go with it
Bernice, another year under the radar, like their coaching, they will be ready.
Going to move Fhs up to 3rd, did not have the weekend they planned and will have to jump back on the road to get to the show. Will have to defend better but their strength is size and rebounding so match with Sussex will be interesting. Not certain about banged up did have one playing hit head on floor??
Moving SJHs up liked their grit, first time seen and they can shoot. Might be the biggest surprise. Hung in there with Fhs and with couple plays, calls might have got it done.
Sorry Kv, been a Cinderella weekend but think the ball is over. Lost a starter vs Sussex to ankle injury, will need good recuperation power as their bench is thin, by my count down to 9 players. Similar to last year in final.. Nice team really like their energy, have two bigs that should be dominant next year. Well coached.
Riverview, what will they be, can they hold it together or implode from coach on down? Team that can make it interesting.
MVHs, having good year, may move up before all is said and done.
Woodstock will win it all in AA and when they do most in the know will heep praise on David Daye, he is the developer at jv level and when he hands off to players to varsity they can play. Hear Leah Corby Bowers has joined with Daye should be good future.
Leo, what can you say that wouldn't be considered piling on. Seem to be in disarray . They worked all summer so must be disappointed , do see bright future as the feeder system is likely best in province and population continues to grow. School from principal to AD to whoever coaches have to give these girls consistent support, hard working, bunch, need leadership.
Fundy, got nothing to say have not seen them, good luck, nice to see new teams getting noticed, someone must be working hard.
In summary one of the mot interesting years in girls AAA/AA ever, thx to coaches, players and parents, play well. Moments to last a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:59 am

Cant argue much with the top 10. I think coach DJR needs to give props to Harbourview and drop a single A school or Moncton out. HVHS went into Kitty's house and got  within 15. They battled all year in the south conference and gave the top 3 teams tough games all year. It is starting to look like the South was the home of the tough battles this year.

Sectional predictions (with spread):

Round 1
Sussex vs Moncton (Sussex favoured by 35)
Fredericton vs Riverview (Fredericton favoured by 5)
BMHS vs SJHS (pick em)
KVHS vs MVHS - KV by 8

I know its a cop out but BMHS v SJHS is too close to call.  I can think of 2 or 3 reasons SJHS has the edge and I can come back with 2 or 3 reasons MacNaughton has the edge. May come down to whom ever has the 3 ball dropping Friday evening. Great to see a 1 versus 4 game being this caliber of game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:41 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
Cant argue much with the top 10. I think coach DJR needs to give props to Harbourview and drop a single A school or Moncton out. HVHS went into Kitty's house and got  within 15. They battled all year in the south conference and gave the top 3 teams tough games all year. It is starting to look like the South was the home of the tough battles this year.

Sectional predictions (with spread):

Round 1
Sussex vs Moncton (Sussex favoured by 35)
Fredericton vs Riverview (Fredericton favoured by 5)
BMHS vs SJHS (pick em)
KVHS vs MVHS - KV by 8

I know its a cop out but BMHS v SJHS is too close to call.  I can think of 2 or 3 reasons SJHS has the edge and I can come back with 2 or 3 reasons MacNaughton has the edge. May come down to whom ever has the 3 ball dropping Friday evening. Great to see a 1 versus 4 game being this caliber of game.

I'm glad Harbourview battled hard all year but I don't think a 15 point loss propels them past teams that actually won games this weekend......glad to see Coach DJR added Harvey to the list after their close victory against JC in Grand Falls on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:34 am

No disrespect to to single A ball BBallforLife, but there is a massive gap between girls Single A ball and the Triple A ball in the province this year. Losing by 15 to a team that had 4 girls on the U17 provincial team and have lived and breathed basketball for the last 2 years of their life is a major feat and puts you in the next 5. I have seen a couple of the single A teams in the province this year. Yes they have one or two decent players on each team, but they are not used to playing at the physicality and intensity of the AAA girls (and the top several AA programs). The top 10 and the next 5 gives props to the best teams in the province, not to the teams who win a lot against weak competition. Been in the gym this year and seen every team on Coach DJR's top 10 and next 5 list play. I can tell you unequivocally that HVHS deserves to be in the next 5. They made teams like Sussex, SJHS, Fredericton and KV work hard to beat them all year.

I had a chat with a well respected coach several years back. Their daughter was a very good player and her team had moved up from single A to double AA that year. At mid year the daughter was beat to pieces and black and blue. As the girl explained it -- "In Single A if you beat the good athlete that is defending you , there does not tend to be another strong physical athlete coming on help to bang into you and slow you down, in double AA there are more athletes coming to stop you". That was just the jump to AA. In AAA there are 4 more girls coming to shut you down if you beat the first defender. And they usually have another 3-5 athletes that sub in of the bench who are strong athletes.

There is a rare athlete like Jessica Brown from Grand Manan that comes out of single A that can play at any level. Jessica worked hard at her game and made it a point to play against the guys from the island so she would get the physical toughness to play at a high level. I had the privilege of seeing Jessica play high school ball several years ago and you could tell she had the grit to play at a higher level (and has proven it with her university play).

If you look at the history of the BNB U15 and U15 dev girls teams the last few years, the girls from the top AAA JV and varsity teams are the vast majority of the players (I give Woodstock honorary AAA status because of the way they approach girls basketball). The girls who do make these teams from the AA and A schools tend to fade to the end of the bench as the summer goes along. Girls from these programs are not used to showing up to workouts and competing against 11 other highly motivated and physical athletes on a routine basis. There are rare exceptions to this rule(Taylor Cooke from Fundy was a big contributor on the 2013 U15 team - but she also played for coaches that demanded intensity), but in general if you practice daily against 11 other highly motivated athletes you are going to become a better player.

In the boys game there seems to be a difference. The single A and AA boys who want to play at the next level tend to go looking for better competition to play against. They have men's leagues etc that they can play in to give them the additional level of toughness to play at the higher level. At the boys level there has been a pleasant breakthrough the last few years of kids from smaller programs making the U15 team (Harvey and Fundy players)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Not to get us riled up or off topic. I had Harbour View there for a lot of the year, then got done waiting for them to play people. Moncton, Harvey, JCS, SVHS, RHS, JMH . .. they at least went looking for games and competed against top 10 teams. HVHS may have played people tough in league games, all ew have is scores most of which aren't close and clearly played a good game vs Fredericton. Its very difficult to manage to find everyone's scores from every game with the NBIAA website format but based on tournaments I saw, read about, etc. DId HVHS play anyone outside of the their league? or league area. Moncton might not be getting a lot of credit in terms of a 4 seed but they at least are getting games vs top 10 teams and competiing in them outside of their league. Harvey plays whatever top teams they can get games with being willing to travel to places like Carleton NOrth or to AA calibre tournaments to get games. No doubt if Harbour View went on the court with one or some of these teams in the next 5 or even the top 10 they might beat 1 or some of them. But until you do or are playing in the last two weekends of basketball season I don't see me putting them there. Play people, beat people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:50 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
Not to get us riled up or off topic. I had Harbour View there for a lot of the year, then got done waiting for them to play people. Moncton, Harvey, JCS, SVHS, RHS, JMH  . .. they at least went looking for games and competed against top 10 teams. HVHS may have played people tough in league games, all ew have is scores most of which aren't close and clearly played a good game vs Fredericton. Its very difficult to manage to find everyone's scores from every game with the NBIAA website format but based on tournaments I saw, read about, etc. DId HVHS play anyone outside of the their league? or league area. Moncton might not be getting a lot of credit in terms of a 4 seed but they at least are getting games vs top 10 teams and competiing in them outside of their league. Harvey plays whatever top teams they can get games with being willing to travel to places like Carleton NOrth or to AA calibre tournaments to get games. No doubt if Harbour View went on the court with one or some of these teams in the next 5 or even the top 10 they might beat 1 or some of them. But until you do or are playing in the last two weekends of basketball season I don't see me putting them there. Play people, beat people.

Thanks you saved me a bunch of typing...... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:15 pm

Bernice def MVHs 76-57 in final league game girls
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:00 pm

Post Sectionals Top 10:

1. Sussex - Still in control of their destiny after two solid performances and off to Harbour. Have no reason to move them but not sure they should be favored over BMHS.

2. BMHS - Took care of buisness. Back to the Station for the 3rd year in a row, defending champs, might be the favorite at this point.

3. Riverview - Showed the can play with and beat anyone. Came up short but defended hard all year and have the ability to make big shots. Not in the final but clearly a top 4.

4. KVHS - Surprised at the speed of their youth's development. Won big games all year and earned their way to this spot.

5. Fredericton - While there is never any pity for the Kitty, this must be a disappointment. Not the way these girls wanted to go out I'm sure. Bad time to lose 2 of 3 games.

6. SJHS - Improved all year. Proved they could compete with anyone, just need to learn how to win the big ones. Lots of returning talent with a chance to do so.

7. MVHS - Great season for them. Should be very tough in years to come.

8. WHS - Way out in front in AA. Two years back and yet to lose to a AA school. Won a sectional final by 50 over a team that had beaten their upcoming opponent at HS by 2. They didn't beat as many AAA teams as last year but on a similar level program and talent wise as any team on this list.

9. LHHS - Tough year all around. Settled in here after some great play. Need to figure out how to move forwaard.

10. JMH - Wild AA season with with 4 teams (RHS, JMH, Fundy, TRHS) growing and battling and beating each other up all year. JMH stays healthy to the end and protects home court. Deserving of a spot on the chart going into HS.

Next 5:
Fundy, RHS, TRHS, SVHS, HVHS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:06 am

No disagreements with you on the top 10 or the next 5 this week CoachDJR;) I think you have the top 15 programs in the province covered. (Putting Moncton in there last week!!)

Sussex and MacNaughton should be a great game for AAA final. Can Sussex handle the extended 1-3-1 that MacNaughton plays so well.

Woodstock vs JMH in AA will be done about 5 minutes after tip off. Woodstock is by far the class of AA this year. Not quite deep enough to beat the top 6 or so AAA teams, but way too much power for AA and A opponents.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Since we are essentially only waiting to see how 1 and 2 switch on this list. Thoughts begin to turn to 2016. I will wait until the game at Harbour Station this weekend before I start cranking up that debate in its completeness. But big picture, Sussex, BMHS stay strong. Kitty drops like a rock. SJHS, KV, MV and Riverview have some sorting out to do. Any mystery teams out there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Leo Hayes will have talent. Will have to see what shakes out with the coaching change
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:11 pm

Next year!
Sussex will be stronger
Bernice will fly under radar with a goal of winning when it matters and coaching does matter
Kv will have size and coaching
Riverview will be a wild card
Fhs something not quite right here, too much talent to fall so far after back to back championships. Missing Jv development for certain, Cotter mystic.
Sshs, Mayberry will have them ready
Whs feeder system keeps replenishing, community comittment to bball
Mvhs, should be good , build on this year
LHHS just don't know, so many coaching turn overs, feeder system strong, need more skill less brawn
Rest don't see enough to offer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Not sure I am with you Observer on Leo Hayes. They were not geared to keep up with the speed of the rest of the teams this year. Not sure what is in the JV hopper for them, but they need an infusion of speed and athleticism to get back into a top 5 conversation. Yes you need one or two tough post players willing to bang and work hard in the girls NB game, but the rest of your team better be a bunch of rabbits who can play transition offense and close out on three point shooters. They could get close to FHS because they were also geared for a more traditional post game, but could not play with the Sussex, MacNaughton, SJHS track meet style offenses.

Sussex is dropping four seniors including Baird and their tough inside defender/rebounder. MacNaughton keeps majority of their talent (is Bulman a senior?) . Riverview drops Newman and Murphy. KV will lose the leadership of Jensen but has great young talent. Fredericton loses 4 seniors who played BNB U17 and I do not believe they had a girl on BNB U16 and only one girl on BNB U15. SJHS loses 6 seniors but retain all of their BNB talent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:14 am

Sou_by_Souwest wrote:
Not sure I am with you Observer on Leo Hayes. They were not geared to keep up with the speed of the rest of the teams this year. Not sure what is in the JV hopper for them, but they need an infusion of speed and athleticism to get back into a top 5 conversation. Yes you need one or two tough post players willing to bang and work hard in the girls NB game, but the rest of your team better be a bunch of rabbits who can play transition offense and close out on three point shooters. They could get close to FHS because they were also geared for a more traditional post game, but could not play with the Sussex, MacNaughton, SJHS track meet style offenses.

Sussex is dropping four seniors including Baird and their tough inside defender/rebounder. MacNaughton keeps majority of their talent (is Bulman a senior?) . Riverview drops Newman and Murphy. KV will lose the leadership of Jensen but has great young talent. Fredericton loses 4 seniors who played BNB U17 and I do not believe they had a girl on BNB U16 and only one girl on BNB U15. SJHS loses 6 seniors but retain all of their BNB talent.

Sussex and BMHS are both in the mid of cycles where they are just going to reload every year.
KV's young talent will get older.

If Riverview keep combining BNB summer programs and their own club program they should be able to stay at a similar level.

Fredericton does lose their seniors but still have U17, U16 and u15 players from this year on the roster plus an infusion of young talent that will likely play on BNB and club teams this summer. They will be young next year no doubt.

SJHS will hace young talented kids getting older. Will not be able to be as deep as they played this year unless JV produces something to help them out.

I actually like some of Leo Haye's talent. Believe with another strong coach they can defend anyone at that level but do either need some sort of infusion to find ways to score. Now in most of NB that seems to be race cars to get into the paint to get layups in transition or rewarded with trips to the free throw line, but there's more then 1 way to skin a cat. LHHS needs to find their own way to generate offense with the personelle they have.

MVHS should keep getting better with their best talent still coming back just need to be a little deeper to be able to keep their defensive energy up all game and still have enough in the tank for the offensive end.

Best teams in AA WHS, RHS, FHS, JMH, and TRHS - all lose some key seniors but also bring back large portions of their roster.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Girls Top 10   Today at 1:06 am

Back to top Go down

2015 Girls Top 10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next