HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Single A Talk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
WaterBoy

PostSubject: Single A Talk   Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:49 am

Lets hear what people have to say about the Single A teams this year.. Has anybody heard if any teams are gaining/losing key players.. Is Hartland going to be such an unstoppable force this year without Caleb?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:22 pm

Harvey will win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:45 am

Doug I think you have been hacked........seriously though I think this year will be pretty open. I would put Harvey , Hartland , Caledonia and John Caldwell in the top four spots in no particular order and after that I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HisAirness

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:06 pm

I think you guys need to start talking about RNS. They have hired a coach and are giving out basketball, oh sorry I meant academic scholarships. You just don't know who they landed into that program and who they will be adding now and in years to come. It may not all be in place yet but they'll will soon start rising the ranks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Recruiting and scholarships at RNS .  I hardly doubt it.  NbIaa would not stand for it...where do these rumours start.  Someone must be bored?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Not really that hard to believe. They already recruit for hockey. That team plays against AAA teams and american college prep teams I believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:57 am

I agree about the hockey but their program is no under the NBIAA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HisAirness

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:35 am

We need to remember that the hockey program was in NbIAA, recruiting for a few years until it was moved out. I have had parents and kids who have been contacted about going to RNS to play Ball. I think it's great they want to develop a prep program but we need to be watchful about what goes on in the early years of this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 am

I am not sure what people have against RNS developing a strong program. It would be great for basketball in New Brunswick. Dream a little dream. Imagine if they developed into a AAA program. Going up against KV and SJHS in the southern conference. Everyone gets better since you have two more tough games on your conference schedule!! There are too many soft games on conference schedules today. (more on the girls than boys side)

If if means one year RNS wins single A as they grow the program, so be it. RNS has always been very fair about reclassing. 4-5 years back when they had the strong girls teams they reclassed as AA.

It would be great if they recruit some basketball talent from outside the province. Help add depth to our basketball community. Let's celebrate a program moving in the right direction!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:03 pm

RNS is actively trying to build their basketball program. It's not as well funded as the hockey program but its a start. This year they will have two Nova Scotia players who played BNS U15 this summer. Both are in grade 10 but should be solid players at the A level despite being young. I'm really encouraged by what they're doing. I've talked to their head coach several times and I think he's got a great vision for the program. As Sou_by_Souwest says, it can only help improve the level of basketball in the Southern conference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Perhaps we should be going to a completely club based system. Allowing RHS to recruit kids when other schools are not allowed is a slippery slope in my mind. And not so sure there would be much pride in claiming a single A banner if your team comes from outside of your community.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:45 pm

sorry meant RNS not RHS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:23 pm

If your narrow focus is about winning a banner one year in one community then I guess you see RNS recruiting as a bad thing. If your bigger perspective is watching strong athletes play great basketball on any given night throughout New Brunswick, then a revived basketball program at RNS is a great thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I think its a great thing. I guarantee if they are doing this it isnt to win an A banner. Anything that can take a serious basketball player to the next level is a great thing. The more exposure they can get the better off they are. A lot of these guys are focusing on basketball after high school and its just one more tool for them to accomplish it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:40 pm

I had a discussion on the Rns fit within Nbiaa objectives when they won A championship several years ago and my conclusion then and remains, there Is no good fit. You can't expect a program which can openly recruit student athletes, has deep pockets and can set its own guidelines to remain satisfied with restraints imposed upon public schools operating in the current NB fiscal environment. It is much bigger issue than developing athletes, citizens and programs and winning banners. Nbiaa should not be a policing agency, seems they have to spend scarce resources now monitoring messes in other sports, eg hockey. The admin leadership in NB at both departmental level and locally needs to step up clearly define the learning objectives from athletics provide sufficient resources and not be bound by the notion that what happens on the field, rink outside of school is of any consequence. To those who want to perform to a national standard get organized and move forward, both have legitimate goals, just not complimentary .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:26 am

HisAirness wrote:
I think you guys need to start talking about RNS. They have hired a coach and are giving out basketball, oh sorry I meant academic scholarships. You just don't know who they landed into that program and who they will be adding now and in years to come. It may not all be in place yet but they'll will soon start rising the ranks.

They hired a coach? They pay someone to coach, really?
All you high school coaches on here, how much do you get paid to coach your team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:03 pm

They didn't hire a basketball coach. The current coach was hired as a teacher four years ago. The previous coach was hired as a teacher as well and he also tried his hand at "recruiting" with mixed results. I believe most RNS teachers are expected to be involved in extracurricular activities and a large majority of them live on campus. The current coach is no different than any other teacher at that school. RNS hockey...now that's a different story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:11 am

I actually get paid a $500/month stipend...doesn't everybody?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:52 am

coach12 wrote:
I actually get paid a $500/month stipend...doesn't everybody?

I would make more if we started taking bids on how much people would pay to not have me coaching Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:15 am

Any "A" tournaments or significant games this weekend? I know Harvey is playing in a tournament in Woodstock against Hartland , Woodstock and Sussex.....should be a good barometer for these teams to start the season.....Ball on!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:46 am

Anyone have results from the Woodstock tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Results from Woodstock   Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:55 am

Only one varsity game last night - Woodstock thumped Hartland by about 30 - not sure of the exact score. Harvey and Hartland play later today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:57 am

Keep them scores a comin..thx
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Harvey pounded Hartland...not sure of final but close to 30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachBuckets

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:01 am

I was unable to make any of the games on the weekend in Woodstock but from reliable sources Hartland is having trouble in the back court. Any pressure at all and the crumble. Harvey has strong guards who can d up on any guards in single A. I won't be surprised if they are the top dog all the way through.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Today at 7:15 pm

Back to top Go down

Single A Talk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next