HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Single A Talk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:18 pm

Every student at RNS has been recruited either directly or indirectly. They are a private school. That's the only way they get students. Same goes for FCA (Devon Park), Sussex Christian School, Moncton Christian Academy, etc. RNS has had out-of-province players on their basketball teams for years. It would appear it is only an issue if they are winning. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Captain

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Hardfouls wrote:
Every student at RNS has been recruited either directly or indirectly. They are a private school. That's the only way they get students. Same goes for FCA (Devon Park), Sussex Christian School, Moncton Christian Academy, etc. RNS has had out-of-province players on their basketball teams for years. It would appear it is only an issue if they are winning. Interesting.
Uh, Yes and maybe  they are not the only school in the Rothesay ( or other area's) "recruiting". Guess it may all depend on how you go about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Recruiting/transfers happens in basketball all the time in high school, AAU, club teams, etc. Chat with some of the Miracle or Millrats players and ask them how many times they were recruited in high school. I applaud RNS for stepping up their game and it will no doubt make their competition better in the long run as well. It will get quite interesting if/when they start landing top N.B. "recruits" from established programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:28 pm

Red Auerbach wrote:
Recruiting/transfers happens in basketball all the time in high school, AAU, club teams, etc.  Chat with some of the Miracle or Millrats players and ask them how many times they were recruited in high school.  I applaud RNS for stepping up their game and it will no doubt make their competition better in the long run as well.  It will get quite interesting if/when they start landing top N.B. "recruits" from established programs.  

That is the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard in my life. You can't be serious. "Applaud RNS for stepping up their game"? They didn't step up their game, they stepped up their recruiting. They in no way developed their own program, they brought it in from somewhere that did....Good luck Harvey, Grand Manan and others in stepping up your game by recruiting players....Comparing the Miracles and the Millrats to high school basketball in NB? C'mon Man! That is lame.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Hardfouls wrote:

Hardfouls haul your head out of the sand......we are not talking the same language .....yes FCA, SCS and MCA etc may recruit "students" who wish to study at their schools and further their education but that is not the same as recruiting "athlete-students" so that you can try and dominate a basketball league predominately made up of small schools by offering "scholarships" to these athletes.This is exactly why NBIAA has rules against "recruiting" and my guess is that they will be looking into it at RNS.

BTW Hardfouls how many of the other players on that team do you think are receiving large scholarships based solely on their athletic ability?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:40 pm

I have to agree that it really hurts what we are trying to do with ball her in NB. Thousands of hours are spent in puppy, mini, middle, jv and then Varsity to build a strong program and includes literally hundred of people and players thru the process. Obviously, the largest goal in this process is to obtain varsity championships and build a program that is competitive year after year like tams as Harvey, GF, and Hartland have done both in boys and girls. To see a private school "buy" players so to speak from out of province hinders what NB as a whole have been trying to accomplish. I don't agree with it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:25 pm

I don't think RNS's goal is to win 'A' banners. As was mentioned on here already, they will be moving up through the NBIAA classifications as they improve the program. In fact, they've already made inquiries about getting into some of the top 'AAA' tournaments next year. Eventually they'll be like Halifax Grammar School...small private school competing against the tops programs in the region. I hope they succeed. If they do it will mean we'll have another strong program in our conference and perhaps another high calibre tournament to attend right in our back yard. Good problems to have in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:53 pm

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
ballnut wrote:
It happens all the time in AAA  but there not called imports they are simply transfers and if they bitched about transfers these pages would be flooded with them.

These kids are not "transfers" from another local school like you are referring to , I get that some kids at a small school may want to go play for a big AAA school but the rules also still say that coaches/schools are not to "recruit".

These two players are from another province and played at the highest level and they just decided on their own that they would leave home to go to a school that they probably never knew existed until they were contacted about playing for them? ..........and you think it is "simply a transfer"? I know what side of the fence you stand on.

No I don't think you do. My son transferred for education period. Yes it was to a AAA school that's just where the best education was. If it was all about a banner to hang in a gym I probably would have left him where he was. It is and will be about the next level for him. Nbiaa will sort it out im sure. But rns has no desire to win A banners.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:55 pm

Hardfouls wrote:
I don't think RNS's goal is to win 'A' banners. As was mentioned on here already, they will be moving up through the NBIAA classifications as they improve the program. In fact, they've already made inquiries about getting into some of the top 'AAA' tournaments next year. Eventually they'll be like Halifax Grammar School...small private school competing against the tops programs in the region. I hope they succeed. If they do it will mean we'll have another strong program in our conference and perhaps another high calibre tournament to attend right in our back yard. Good problems to have in my opinion.

I wonder if your backhanded insults of single A schools and teams offend any of the hardworking athletes and coaches at the A schools around the province? Or their fans?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:23 pm

I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Sorry if you took it that way. I know lots coaches, players and parents involved with 'A' programs throughout the province. I've also coached of few 'A' players last couple of summers on BNB teams so I know first hand how much passion they have for the sport. All I'm saying is the RNS isn't recruiting players to win banners. It's about building a program. I happen to like what he's doing and would like to think I'll feel the same way when they move up and we have to compete against them. Besides, if winning banners is the measure of success then lots of us are doing a poor job.
Back to top Go down
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Well said
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:15 pm

If RNS is not interested in winning a single A banner and is only interested in building a strong program could someone explain to me why they are not playing AA or AAA . If there sole purpose is to build would AA be a better fit ?? Saying that they have no interest in winning a single A banner is probably one of if not the most uneducated and flat out dumbest statements I have seen on here !!! It is a insult to single A schools to say they are not interested . What a crop of crap !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AA Fan

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:20 pm

And by the way winning a banner as the best school in your class is a great measure of success... And if you are not string to be the best then your right ... you are doing a poor job!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:54 pm

Hardfouls wrote:
I wasn't trying to insult anyone. Sorry if you took it that way. I know lots coaches, players and parents involved with 'A' programs throughout the province. I've also coached of few 'A' players last couple of summers on BNB teams so I know first hand how much passion they have for the sport. All I'm saying is the RNS isn't recruiting players to win banners. It's about building a program. I happen to like what he's doing and would like to think I'll feel the same way when they move up and we have to compete against them. Besides, if winning banners is the measure of success then lots of us are doing a poor job.

Here is a question for you .....why do we have different levels of school teams  A,AA,AAA ? Why not just one big league where schools with 100 kids would compete against schools with 1,000 kids .....what would be your answer?

I have no problem with a private school wanting to build a program of their own but not at the expense and detriment of small schools who can't compete with the lure of huge scholarships and manufacturing of a team.....if the want to run as an exhibition team then fill your boots....as you said it's not about the banners anyway right.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:11 pm

So things that upset us this week:

1) CNHS varsity boys falling apart while JV's dominant. Moral outrage because kids should want to play against the best kids possible to be at the top of their game?

2) 2nd place team in the south in A boys beats first place team in the south in A boys in their home game. Moral outrage that team can get more talented players differently so having to play against teams/players who have a marked advantage is not right?

Wait . . . Do we want people playing against the best competition that they can or not? Kids choose not to play against top competition and thats not right, but top competition is available in your league to play and kids in that league having to play against it is not right either?

1) The only people who playing against these kids could be seen as "unfair" too is kids or teams who now will not win as a result of those players being there. Its the exact same attitude that would say: We don't have the money, size, resources as big provinces there should be a seperate nationals for provinces and NB plays somewhere else. We put our kids up against the best and ask them perform. When does it stop. They can recruit we can't we shouldn't play them. OUr school will invest in a bus, but there's won't so they can't travel to games and tournaments because they are a have not community in a have not province. They need there own league too. That school has a bunch of multi sport athletes and that one has kids who ball year round. That's not fair better build a different league. That school has a fair play policy for equal playing time in middle level sports, they have bantam clubs that run year round. Those teams shouldn't have to play each other should they. That's not fair.

2) Historical issues: Who should play where and who shouldn't. Woodstock girls for years choose to play up in AAA then decided not too despite little drop in talent. Woodstock boys only played AAA the years they had to. Dalhousie boys choose to play AAA when they could have been winning AA titles. Grand Manan spent 2-3 years as the top team in A before going up to AA for one year. That lets one hard working program get to play in a A final that wouldn't, and takes one traditional AA program had been building out of a final. Better/worse? FHS JV boys spent the better part of the last decade playing JV and beating people by triple digits routinely without any inclination of just playing exhibition and not playing teams they clearly hammer. Tantramar ends up with top NS players living in coaches house for a couple of years and start winning boys titles and being relevant in AA. NBIAA moves to JV leagues because A and AA schools are concerned about 2nd teams at larger schools winning too much and teams making their 2nd teams stronger to win titles. How many more examples . . . So there's 25 years of competitive history in the province where there is imbalance and some schools choose to play up, others choose to stay where they are. No one makes anyone do anything. YOu just compete the best the can. Every year schools make different choices for different reasons which lead to more and less competitive leagues.

THis is the same outrage we saw the year that 8 kids from Bathurst won AA final vs a tough group of kids from Campo. IT was an short term issue that resolved itself. R-E-L-A-X RNS specific: Same pattern took place with their boys hockey team and they quickly moved up through divisions and evenutally out of NBIAA play to match their competitive needs.

3) How is having more better players, teams, and kids to compete against bad for basketball in NB. I can see how its bad for a team or teams who now may not reach wins and losses goals they had. I don't see how more better players, more stronger teams, more competition in NB is worse for basketball. Kids, programs, and teams having to reach increased standards of talent can't be bad for basketball can it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:15 pm

[quote="BeeBall4Lifee"]
Hardfouls wrote:

Here is a question for you .....why do we have different levels of school teams  A,AA,AAA ? Why not just one big league where schools with 100 kids would compete against schools with 1,000 kids .....what would be your answer?

I like it. Now kids who ball would definitely be balling with a focus on process first. Much less focus on titles. If you did it right now you would have "A" sized schools in the top 10-15 teams of all teams in the province. Worked for the state of Indiana for a long time. I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:19 am

CoachDJR wrote:
BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
Hardfouls wrote:

I like it.  Now kids who ball would definitely be balling with a focus on process first. Much less focus on titles. If you did it right now you would have "A" sized schools in the top 10-15 teams of all teams in the province. Worked for the state of Indiana for a long time. I like it.

You know what I find rather interesting and ironic about a couple of arguments here is that they are coming from AAA schools who this will never affect....schools that are a couple of the largest in the province and should be competing for a AAA title every year...so when you say championships aren't important and we should only focus on the process, why exactly are the kids playing?  So they can be the 0.02% that play on a provincial team to reprsent their province or go play at a university or small college or better yet to prepare them to be the best Men's league player in the city?  You want to see what's important? Go to McAdam on a Friday night or Harvey....that is the fabric of  high school basketball - it's not about going to your empty gyms on a Saturday afternoon because that's where the "best" players are.  Stop making yourself sound so elitist - 98% of the people in the province don't give a rip about that.

Also, I have a couple of questions - how many kids who are technically supposed to go to Rothesay High end up going to KV as opposed to the other way around?  What if it was the other way around? Secondly, how many times did key players flip flop back and forth from Bathurst - Dalhousie - Bathurst chasing a title?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 am

CoachDJR wrote:
So things that upset us this week:
3) How is having more better players, teams, and kids to compete against bad for basketball in NB. I can see how its bad for a team or teams who now may not reach wins and losses goals they had. I don't see how more better players, more stronger teams, more competition in NB is worse for basketball. Kids, programs, and teams having to  reach increased standards of talent can't be bad for basketball can it?

Ask that to a 17 year old from Harvey / Hartland / JCS who has been playing for the last 8 years in NB competitively, battling against the same kids year after year. Only to have his grade 12 year of winning a title potentially taken away because a team decided to buy themselves a title, rather than build it up through the mini/bantam program like 99.99% of the province.

Note: This can apply to any school/player, I mentioned those 3 schools because they seem to be the schools being affected by RNS' recruitment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Solution   Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:05 am

How about the teams that are not playing for a banner just register with BNB. You are elite in your opinion just like BNB thinks it is, seems like a great fit.

Then let all other teams playing for their community battle it out for the final 12.

Better yet let BNB run elite level teams year around for kids who wanna go that route.

RNS can bring in kids on scholarships from out of province and that's ok? But a kid who transfers schools to play ball on his own will has to sit out 30 days??????

Something is wrong who has the balls to fix it? Here's an idea, how about Harvey, Hartland, John Caldwell and one other team drop out of the Nbiaa rent the currie centre and have your own single a championship. A true championship. Let's see how many people show up to watch the single a final at harbour then. Now that would prove a point!!!!! Hit the NBIAA in the pocket book and they may listen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:56 am

I think there are two separate issues at stake here. The first issue is a philosophical one about what is best for basketball in New Brunswick. Clearly there is a separation in how this is viewed between the small schools and large schools. This is a debate that could go on forever with no resolution.

The real issue to me is that the NBIAA has a definite rule that prohibits schools from recruiting athletes and RNS is clearly violating this rule. They can hide behind the fact that they are a private school and are recruiting "students" but I think everyone can see past that. Regardless of whether you agree with the premise behind it, the rule is in place and school competing at the NBIAA level should have to follow the rule. We can't just start ignoring rules because we don't agree with them without going through the proper process to have the rule reviewed. A coach who does not agree with the change to the rule of awarding only 1 foul shot for a technical foul can not just decide his team will shoot two shots because that is what they believe the rule should be.

Until the rule is changed RNS, and all other schools, should follow the rule or be faced with the consequences outlined in the association guidelines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:24 am

The excerpt below is taken from the N.B.I.A.A 2014-2015 Handbook

O.R. 3 - ELIGIBILITY & RECRUITMENT

3.4 The NBIAA strongly condemns any attempt to recruit a student-athlete into a member school. A recruiting prohibition discourages exploitation of students: prevents over-emphasis of athletics; gives average student-athletes more opportunity to participate; discourages adults from jeopardizing a student’s eligibility and prevents misuse of athletic programs.
1.  Definition: recruiting is defined as a representative of a school, either directly or through another party, encouraging a student to attend a school other than that in whose catchment area he or she resides, for the purpose of being involved in extracurricular sport. The school representative could be a teacher, administrator, school district employee, school employee, student, parent, alumnus or any person representing themselves as a school
contact.
2.  Indicators of Recruiting: there are many legitimate times that a school representative and/or coach of a school team will be in contact with students from another school. Therefore, indicators of recruiting have been developed to provide parameters of behaviour expectations for coaches and other school representative(s). For brevity, the term “coach” is used, but the policy applies equally to coaches or any other school representatives as listed above.
a) a coach shall not initiate contact with any student who does not attend, or does not directly feed into the coach’s school, in order to suggest, encourage or explain a transfer to a different school.
b) a coach shall not encourage any other person, including past and present players, to contact any student to suggest, encourage or explain a transfer to a different school.
d) a coach shall not permit a student who is not currently enrolled at the coach’s school, or whose present school does not directly feed into the coach’s school, to attend “open gym” at the coach’s school or attend spring or summer practices, games or camps specifically designated for enrolled students.
e) a coach shall not entice a student who is not currently enrolled at the coach’s school, or whose present school does not directly feed into the coach’s school, into transferring to the coach’s school. Examples of the applicable situations are listed below, but are not limited to:
i. Providing particular inducements such a preferential accommodation, reduced fees or employment at any camp program
ii. allowing the non-enrolled student to accompany the team to a school or team function, or by offering a discounted or special admission to any school function, including team games
iii. providing a non-enrolled student with team plans, practice outlines or game plans
iv. providing transportation, equipment, clothing/footwear or financial inducement in order to facilitate a non-enrolled student’s involvement in out-of-season contests, leagues, camps, clinics or related programs
v. inviting or allowing a student who is transferring to the coach’s school to reside with the coach (and/or coach’s family) who is not the student’s parent or legal guardian or being financially supported in anyway by a coach or institution
vi. a coach shall not use an evaluation process from an out-of-season program or camp to suggest that a student transfer to any other school other than the one at which he or she is currently enrolled or into which they will directly feed
g) offering monetary or transportation assistance to a student, parent or guardian (including fees, tuition, bus passes or other allowances or waivers). Provided however, that for the purposes of these regulations,waiver or any fee ordinarily charge to an international student by a school, shall not necessarily be considered undue influence or recruitment. Provided further that, when determining whether undue influence or recruitment exists, the NBIAA Executive shall be entitled to consider whether such fees are waived for students not involved in athletic activities.

If a person has knowledge of undue influence or recruitment, as defined herein and allegedly committed by any other student, coach, teacher, school staff, or administrative personnel connected with an NBIAA member school, he/she shall provide written notice of the allegation of undue influence or recruitment to the Executive Director.

Sanctions and Penalties: Upon reporting of a recruiting violation in writing to the NBIAA, the Executive Director shall initiate an investigation of the allegations contained in the written notice. The Executive Director will present the written complaint to the school involved and require a written response from the Principal by 4:00 PM of the next business day.
Any school staff or administrative personnel of the school involved, who fails or refuses to cooperate with and assist in the investigation conducted by the Executive Director, may result in the team being excluded from all competition or subject to alternative penalties as determined by the NBIAA Executive Committee.

Should the investigation result in confirmation of recruiting, the NBIAA Executive committee will review the infraction and sanctions may range from:
1. The player and / or team may be ineligible for participation in NBIAA provincial playoffs within the same season of play.
2. Be fined up to $1000.00
3. Have the head coach ruled ineligible for participation within the CURRENT and NEXT season of play.
4. Be subject to any or all of the above mentioned penalties or to alternative penalties as determined by the NBIAA Executive Committee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 am

Maybe if I'm a little more direct and less mitigating I can make my points clearer.

1)COmpetitive Issue:

I understand that it is difficult on programs when they face issues or obstacles that seem beyond their control. I coach at a small school and have sat on the bench while we've lost to some of the smallest of A schools by 70 points. I've also been on the bench where teams in our league beat up by 100+. I also help us get to points where we can take on the best AAA schools in the province and be in that game. I can totally understand schools/coaches/players who would rather not have to play against certain schools or kids because they have value disagreements, talent disparity, etc. I'm as competitive a guy as you will meet and want to win regardless of who we line up against BUT. . . there is a lot more to basketball then just winning titles. If you look at the list of schools who've won titles in NB and the list of schools who register teams and who's kids sweat, battle, come through programs and put in time. The first list is not all that representative of the 2nd list. Someone, for a variety of reasons is always up against it. Their lessons and memories are not trips to finals and championships their memories are team time, regular trips and the life lessons about grinding they learn.
In this case its A schools who have to battle top level kids from NS who selected to play at this school (not arguing that they weren't recruited but I will deal with that in another bullet). Ever year AAA schools have to overcome FHS, LHHS, KV, McaNaughton . . . if you look at athletes that should be playing places, were are all the best kids in Moncton or the Valley really zoned for just KV or BMHS. Everyone has challenges and problems. If as Hardfouls suggests they keep growing then it just becomes another team's' leagues issue. Are we saying it is more fair if it happens to a AA program or AAA program. When teams move up and down leagues because they are trying to be in a more competitive league, you need to look at teams who competitively it impacts. In the league they are leaving teams get more competitive opporuntities, the league they enter some get more some gets less. Lets look at the GM example. After a couple of years of dominating the A league with a strong starting lineup and a CIS center (that no one in any league had those years) they moved up to AA. Great for their kids, great for the kids in A, but someone who had building a program to compete or even just get into playoffs that year had there hard work invalidated by getting bumped out of playoffs all together or losing out on an Aitken Centre berth. I don't recall anyone being that upset about it. No one made any moves or changes to get AAA jv teams from getting beaten by 100 every year. Someone is always up against it, moving them away from you or making it someone elses problem is not a solution in life or basketball. Everyone has to compete at some point.

2) THe recruiting issue.

I understand the frustration for RNS recruiting situation vs NBIAA schools. My feeling is that ship has sailed. IF this was an issue then they never would have been allowed in the NBIAA nor would any other private school. They would never play in competitive NBIAA leagues. IF changing that application of rules is they way the NBIAA wants to go (though why a radical change would happen now after years of letting it go I have no idea) then that would happen in an offseason and not impact the teams playing this year anyway. I'm pretty sure the NBIAA is not writing policy based on what they read here. They have a policy and have clearly decided that after review what Private schools they allow in their leagues need to do does not violate the spirit or intent of their recruitment rules (probably because they are private schools and everyone acknoeldges this is how they get sutdents). If this wasn't the case any number of sanctions would have been levied every year against them.

But RNS and other private schools do play in our leagues and they have with recruited student-athletes/ athlete-students for a while now. Its not like there are banners littering RNS from dumping all over programs year after year. They have a pretty good track record (in my opinion) if recognizing where they are at and registering or changing their level accordingly year in and year out to make sure that happens. Do you think that they recruited these two players and said good we'll win A this year and then get some more players and win A by more? THey felt like with the players they had this was the right fit for them. And to be fair when this same team was losing to SJDA there wasn't the outrage that there is now. Its not like they can change classifications in a month. They've clearly gotten better/healtheir and are now competitive at the top of that league. If they win and get more talent they will likely move themselves up to AA or even AAA. When they play well they are capable of beating Harvey, but are also capable of losing to marginal A schools so the same problem would exist in any league. In A they can be top 3, in AA they could be top 4, in AAA they wouldn't be as strong because of the depth of teams in the SW but in AA and AAA on nights they put in SJDA level performances they would be getting smashed.

I'm not downplaying anyone's plight or frustration. Kids and high school basketball provide lots of outlets for kids and not just for kids in communities where they are defending the communities reputations/traditions winning titles. PRograms have sweat equity invested in programs and players all over the province. For my two cents me and my kids and our progam can control controllables. We will do what we can to be the best we can. If we become the best team and players in the province then we will beat everyone we play and wins/titles would accompany that as a by prodcut. If we don't  . .  .then we won't beat everyone, so we clearly need to get better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 am

Powerball wrote:
How about the teams that are not playing for a banner just register with BNB. You are elite in your opinion just like BNB thinks it is, seems like a great fit.

I agree with Powerball here. If playing for championships is not important and its all about the development, then let's just run club teams. Moncton can have a team, Saint John, Fredericton, maybe Carleton North/Woodstock/Hartland can combine, We The North can have a team, all good. We will have 6-8 teams of the best players and they will compete. Now saying that, it could probably be held at a local school because it will not be feasible to hold it at Harbour Station or Currie Center or anywhere like that..

Or another option as it was suggested is just have one league...and we can hold it in Fredericton so FHS won't have as far to travel every year to get their banner...because it sure isn't going anywhere else (Leo Hayes is in Fredericton too)...and it could probably be held at the local YMCA for the 75 people who go watch the AAA final every year anyway....see how many groups bid on that next time around.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BAM

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 am

I think the A division needs to stay the way it is. I have been at a game in Harvey where you see community support and student body support because in Harvey basketball is " The Sport". That atmosphere is awesome. Not the same at most AAA schools. I have also been at a game in Fredericton and seen Parent support and some student body support because basketball at FHS is "A sport". Hockey at FHS is "The Sport" that gets the bulk of the community and student body support. Not trying to offend but it is a fact. Wasn't "A" dropped a few years back at the Aitken Centre and that did not work out so well.
As for the issue of recruiting it should not happen but it does. Yes you can quote NBIAA scripture but what is being done to police it whether it is the private school recruiting or transfers. Which I could easily name you kids in the Moncton area who were very good athletes who did not play for the team that fell in the zone where they lived but for another team. This has been to the detriment of other programs in the area. I do not think they were necessarily recruited by coaches or the school directly but they did not switch schools for education reasons they switched to play basketball. School transfers should be made for education or safety reasons not to play on a better basketball team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:44 am

Here is a little more fuel for the fire regarding "if" RNS is recruiting players. I was told by a reliable source that at least 4 of last years Basketball New Brunswick U15 boys were approached by RNS school representative ( this school representative could be a teacher, administrator, school district employee, school employee, student, parent, alumnus or any person representing themselves as a school contact.) and asked if they would be interested in attending their school to play basketball (oh and of course receive an "education") and they would receive a "discount" or "scholarship" of 50% off their $34,680 tuition.......please try and explain if these actions do not constitute breaking one if not all of the NBIAA rules.

NBIAA should be looking at this problem now before it totally gets out of hand!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Single A Talk   Today at 5:01 pm

Back to top Go down

Single A Talk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next