HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Boys basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
brady12

PostSubject: Boys basketball   Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:16 am

What's happening throughout NB, I don't see much boys action. Thinking Leo Hayes will be strong, hear Val Nelson attending Leo if he can be academically eligible will make them even stronger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoop dreamer

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:37 pm

This is tough to call...top 3 or 4 are solid bottom six are distant from top 4...

1) KVHS - led by Tilley they will be hard to stop
2) LHHS - everyone back and added Nelson
3) FHS - lost Nelson but still have Myambo and young but talented supporting staff
4) SJHS - with the big kid back they will be tough.
5) MVHS - constantly improving , work hard and well coached
6) RHS - were good last year with talented big ( from u-17team) back and improved
7) MHS - have some talented shooters
Cool Simonds - did some damage last year and played in summer.
9) BMHS - some young talent coming up
10) SRHS - don't know much about this team , but it's Sussex, they are never terrible
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:54 am

All the Fredericton boys have done the last number of years at high school and JV is win. Their JV team last year was thumping top level AA teams and A teams by 40-50. I'm ok with debating that with Nelson and a returning cast LHHS could be right there with them again.

I would say LHHS and FHS at 1-2. KVHS a close 3rd. Not disrespecting KV they've just yet to get over the top when it matters vs either of these teams.

SJHS probably 4th.

After that you've probably got 8+ AA and AAA teams that are an any given night sort of situation vs each other for the but 30+ points worse then the top 3/4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:22 pm

It looks as though the west will the more dominant division this coming season. I follow the girls more so than the guys so when it comes to the west especially i'm a bit out of touch other than what I see at guys/girls tournaments and when the west plays locally. But i'll still throw my 2 cents in.

1) Leo Hayes - Sorry Fredericton, going to give the northside boys the edge this year. I think the loss at Harbour Station just made the lion that much more hungry.

2) Fredericton - Always going to be either 1 or 2 from start to finish.

3) KVHS - They're going to be near the top, but have to beat Leo or the Cats to move.

4) Riverview - The beasts of the East. Need to fill a couple holes in their roster. Good size in the front court and lots of energy. Lots of players working their game in the off season. Should give any team a good run for their money.

5) SJHS - I'm going to put the harbour city boys here, just because I don't know them and the consensus is that they will be a strong team.

T-6) BMHS - Young team with talented guards. Front court could be a concern as well as depth of bench.

T-6) WHS - Seen the Bordertown boys play a couple games last year and was impressed with how they played at Fredericton Tourney.

T-Cool MHS - had some presence on summer teams. Going to be tough to move up the ladder especially vs. the west.

T-Cool Simonds - probably should rank these guys a bit higher, but just didn't see much of them last year

T-Cool Carleton North - Played AAA teams last year in tournaments, play well and I'll give them credit like WHS and put them in the top 10

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:24 pm

Leo Hayes is definitely the team to beat. No one will be able to touch them. Shouldn't be close. I think the only question that remains is will Hickey wear a shirt and tie or a golf shirt at Harbour Station this spring? Maybe he'll break out the old Bill Belichick hoodie with the cut off sleeves?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:36 am

Hardfouls wrote:
Leo Hayes is definitely the team to beat. No one will be able to touch them. Shouldn't be close. I think the only question that remains is will Hickey wear a shirt and tie or a golf shirt at Harbour Station this spring? Maybe he'll break out the old Bill Belichick hoodie with the cut off sleeves?

Golf shirt for sure. Better question, will the beard be intact?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:03 pm

As others have suggested, I think it is a four horse race.

1. LHHS - Most are back and key FHS transfer (Val) should get them over the top so long as they don't implode due to grades, behavior, etc.

2. SJHS - Didn't lose much to graduation. They have a strong grade 12 lineup, nice mix of guard play, inside presence, and outside shooters. This group historically folds like a cheap tent when they play Fredericton teams so will need to overcome that to win it all.

3. KVHS - Lost a great scorer (Sanford) but had some high end players out injured last season to fill that gap. It's a deep team with several representatives on summer teams and should therefore make noise. They have the talent. The question is are the valley boys mentally tough enough to win it all?

4. FHS - First time I can remember FHS only having one player on the U17 team. Lucky for them that he's the best player in province (Mayambo). Grade 11's are solid but overall this team will be challenged by lack of size which is why I ranked them fourth.

After these four team there is a significant drop off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:07 am

1- KVHS- The program with the most provincial team players in the province. Last year they were riddled with injuries and this year it's an "us against the world mentality". They'll be there when it counts.

2- LHHS- Looking at last year's team , you would assume that the Lions would be the team to beat. Students transferring out, players not playing, along with a slew of other issues will give the Lions some trouble. Should be there in the end, but not as easy as one would think.

3- FHS- They don't return a ton of players, but the grade 11 players coming up are as good as most grade 12s in the province. They breed winners and all have winning habits. That carries a lot of weight and they'll still be very tough to beat.

4- SJHS- Return a lot of players from last year. Played KVHS tough, but for whatever reason struggled against FHS and LHHS. Will they be able to get over the hump?

5- MVHS- They will be the top team this year out of the East. They're in tough with their schedule against the Northern teams, but they'll be hosting Regionals, which will make them very tough in the playoffs.

6- Riverview- The only team truly able to play "above the rim", and that's because of Gbemi. Their post play will be good, but will their guard play be consistent enough to play with the top teams.

7- MacNaughton- This will be the surprise team. They're sneaky good and will have a balanced attack. Well coached and will be there in the end.

8- Moncton High- Probably the most disciplined team in the province. Have some kids who can shoot it. Their discipline always allows them to stay in games. Not sure if they'll be able to keep up with the top teams, but will never be an easy out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Boys Rankings   Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:51 am

Top AAA Team:
1. Leo Hayes - if they can keep it together, good luck getting it over half
2. KVHS
3. FHS
4. SJHS
Leo Hayes wins their first; you could see team like MVHS sneak into the top 4

Top AA Teams:
1. Fundy - if you haven't seen this team, they are legit; everyone back from last year
2. Tantramar
3. Woodstock
4. Carleton North
There will be a changing of the guard in AA Boys

Top A Boys:
1. Hartland High - still have a lot of size back; no one in A to handle Foster; may be better "team" than last year
2. Harvey High - will be right there
3. John Caldwell - maybe a year or two away but right there
4. ? I'll leave this one up to the A experts to pick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Common Sense wrote:
Top AAA Team:
2. KVHS
3. FHS
4. SJHS

Top AA Teams:
1. Fundy - if you haven't seen this team, they are legit; everyone back from last year
2. Tantramar
3. Woodstock
4. Carleton North

Top A Boys:
1. Hartland High - still have a lot of size back; no one in A to handle Foster; may be better "team" than last year
2.  Harvey High - will be right there
3.  John Caldwell - maybe a year or two away but right there
4.  ? I'll leave this one up to the A experts to pick

'AA' - If this is indeed true.....the world is surely coming to an end. I'd have to see it, to believe it. But, I would have said the same about McAdam many moons ago....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HisAirness

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:49 am

I would agree with this Fundy has a good core of kids returning and a couple stud players in the mix. After that I think there are three teams right there. Woodstock will go as far as Keegan (best AA player to lace up this year) can take them. They will have a few supporting players but it will be a very short bench for jones this year. Tantramar has the Becker kid crazy athlete can jump out of the gym and a good cast around him they will struggle with playing a tough schedule. They will win every league game by 30 so they need to get out and play tough games. CN is CN a ton of tough hard working kids they will play a tough schedule and will be as ready as anyone come February. The usual strong teams in the South all look to be down St. Stephen will be ok should finish two in the south but it is unclear if they can run with the top four. Rothesay High returns only four with a weak crop of grade 11's incoming they will need big things from the six underagers on the squad it's a rebuild there for sure. They could make some noise but they probably a year or two away. It Should be Fundy vs whoever finishes first in the west when the dust clears. Sugarloaf can round out this group with a few good young players they will struggle like Tantramar to play a tough schedule this year. All eight of these team will be in the Rothesay Tourney first week of Dec so we should have a good feel from there.

1 Fundy
2 Woodstock
3 Tantramar
4 Carlton North
5 St. Stephen
6 Rothesay
7 Sugarloaf
8 James M. Hill
9 JMA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
likemike113

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:26 am

Becker kid jumping out of the gym on Tantramar is crazy athletic, should be expected seeing as how he's a senior, Fundy's Blair Hawkins matches his vertical inch for inch and get this, he's a sophomore. Also having all-star alex Wilkins and another great player ryley Anthony. fundy also has 6-7 other good players making this this a force to reckin with in AA

Last edited by likemike113 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachBuckets

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:03 am

Common Sense wrote:
Top AAA Team:
2. KVHS
3. FHS
4. SJHS

Top AA Teams:
2. Tantramar
3. Woodstock
4. Carleton North

Top A Boys:
2.  Harvey High - will be right there
3.  John Caldwell - maybe a year or two away but right there
4.  ? I'll leave this one up to the A experts to pick

From watching a lot of ball throughout the years at A and AA you can't throw teams at the top of the list that didn't do anything the year before. Fundy and Tantramar look to me like they should have a good roster coming back but they have to win a few games before I put them at the top of my list. Woodstock has arguably the best player in the Province who can take over a game, and in AA that's basically all you need. We will see if Becker and Hawkins can handle him. For A I think John Caldwell will upset a few teams, looking at scores from last year, I am surprised it didn't happen then. Hartland should be at the top but they lost some talent from last year. Leo Hayes getting all their players back plus Val from FHS will be a very strong team, if they can play with each other like they did at Harbour should be a very fun team to watch.

Top A:
1. Hartland
2. John Caldwell
3. Harvey
4. Canterbury

Top AA:
1. Woodstock
2. Fundy
3. Carleton North
4. Tantramar

Top AAA:
1. Leo Hayes (should be competing for top in the Maritimes)
2. Fredericton High (will always play good against Leo)
3. KVHS
4. SJHS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisLife6

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:48 pm

The one problem I see with leo hayes is do they have any size? I've heard their one post player moved to oromocto. Are they going to be able defend the paint at all against bigger teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachBuckets

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 am

Who's got size in AAA in the Province? Basketball is becoming a guard game. There aren't a lot of "great natural" big men in the Province. For what Leo is going to have to guard in the paint shouldn't be hard for Val and Leo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BallisLife6

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:19 am

Well Riverview High School, KV and Saint John High should all have a fair amount of size
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:57 am

I'm not sure what people are so concerned about the size issue at FHS and LHHS.

Is your concern that FHS and LHHS will not be able to guard bigger kids? Do we really doubt both these programs and coaches ability to gameplan for a season long issue of playing, defending and rebounding with small lineups? Or do we think the big players in these other programs so are great defensively they will be able to guard the dynamic perimeter players on the other team.

The only way the bigs make a difference is if all things are equal or relatively equal. If you tell me that one team has more shooting, scoring, athletic ability, defensive ability and dynamic play makers and the other team isn't as good but is bigger who do you think I'm taking?

WIth the exception of KV who may have the best of both worlds size and talent wise (not sure about depth of both as I'm not as familiar with their roster as I should be) I'm probably taking the pools of talented, tough athletes and LHHS and FHS over the rest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachBuckets

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:31 pm

CoachDJR wrote:
I'm not sure what people are so concerned about the size issue at FHS and LHHS.

Is your concern that FHS and LHHS will not be able to guard bigger kids? Do we really doubt both these programs and coaches ability to gameplan for a season long issue of playing, defending and rebounding with small lineups? Or do we think the big players in these other programs so are great defensively they will be able to guard the dynamic perimeter players on the other team.

The only way the bigs make a difference is if all things are equal or relatively equal. If you tell me that one team has more shooting, scoring, athletic ability, defensive ability and dynamic play makers and the other team isn't as good but is bigger who do you think I'm taking?

WIth the exception of KV who may have the best of both worlds size and talent wise (not sure about depth of both as I'm not as familiar with their roster as I should be) I'm probably taking the pools of talented, tough athletes and LHHS and FHS over the rest.

I agree with CoachDJR, sure they might have a little bit of size but no one who can take over a game. They shouldn't have a problem guarding them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Size matters in basketball. Good guards are exciting and can take you a long way in the regular season but playoff victories smile on those teams who can defend and rebound. Matt Brown of SJHS can take over a game as can Gbemi of Riverview so to say that there are no dominate bigs isn't correct. FHS will be very good but aren't big enough this year to go all the way. LHHS isn't big either but make up for it with above the rim athletes who will have no trouble rebounding so long as they are properly motivated to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:17 pm

Nbiaa banner will hang in a Fred gym at end of year and coaching will be the difference not size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: opening weekend games   Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:26 am

Leo Hayes, Riverview, Simonds, MVHS ,Harrison Trimble. James M Hill play games Nov 7 8 in Miramichi. Should be a good time watching some of those games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:22 pm

LHHS are there cracks starting to show, hear Brittany and Urqhart not playing this year . By the time teams roll into HS will be many ups and downs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Chinks in armour aside the advantage to the south and west leagues in AAA vs the N and E/ NE. Is that the best two teams in the West and best two in the south are generally better then everyone in their leagues and don't risk getting eliminated in the regional cross over by virtue of finishing 1-2.

Let me use LHHS as the example since everyone seems so concerned over who they have or don't. Regardless of their roster in Nov, Dec, Jan there is almost no chance they lose to Oromocto. So their 26+ of their games in those three monthes are just preparation work. Even if they lose to FHS in their league games finishing #2 means they avoid SJHS and KVHS (based on predictions) and probably get Simonds or Sussex. Regardless of who plays and who doesn't right now I don't think based on talent and what they've accomplished as a group LHHS loses that game.

So now LHHS just has to have their full compliment, be firing on all cylinders and have a plan to win 3 games in the last two weekends of Feb. You know they will be motivated and they've basically got 3 monthes to prepare.

On the flip side in the NE or North and East the depth of competitive teams is so much more balanced that league games (Even when not interlocked) will play a huge impact on who makes it to sectionals. THey've got to be at the tier best multiple nights a year.

LLHS needs to beat OHS twice and win a 2 vs 3 game. Everything else is house money and a chance to get ready for the playoffs. Now the same could be said about Fredericton, KVHS and SJHS as well though the southern teams have more games that may not be helping them improve.

Everyone wants to win everytime out but you just need to be there in the end. Any team can have its up and downs but in the case of the SW the top 4 teams don't have to be up until the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: South   Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:56 pm

I would like to say first that I think that FHS and LHHS are perenial powerhouses. Saying that I also  think that it is unfair that FHS LHHS and OHS are allowed to play with only three in their South division. I think they should be made to interlock with the west. It is alot easier for them to plan for tournaments and the tough games you want because you have alot more flexability on your calendar. I know that  NBIAA rules allow to operate with three in a division but I think that it should be four. It is not fair for teams like Riverview or KV or SJ or BMHS to have a large amount of league games and still try to schedule Quality tournaments .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:20 am

Congrats to FHS on being named to North Pole Hoops top 25 national rankings (#23). I wonder how LHHS, SJHS, and KV feels about this? Since FHS wins almost every year, perhaps it makes sense.
http://northpolehoops.com/2014/11/05/rankings/#.VFt0jvnF_4s
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Today at 3:17 am

Back to top Go down

Boys basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next