HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Boys basketball

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
HisAirness

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:47 am

Should be an interesting weekend for AA with a 12 team tourney in Rothesay with Woodstock, Fundy, Tantramar, Carlton North, St. Stephen, Sugarloaf all in the running. Still looks like it Fundy with the edge in till proven otherwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
likemike113

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:58 am

If Woodstock beats MMHS, they will play fundy next. Should be a good game to watch. Would also like to see fundy play tantramar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
likemike113

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Fundy beat Woodstock 89-80. Great game to watch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:37 am

likemike113 wrote:
Fundy beat Woodstock 89-80. Great game to watch

Can someone update us on the rest of the scores at that Tourney? Lot of top teams there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: AA Rankings   Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:43 am

I can't comment too much on AAA or A rankings because I don't know all the results from the island this past weekend, but I can tell you that from what I saw, AA is as follows:

1.  Tantramar - way out in front; demolished competition at Rothesay tournament
2.  Carleton North - beat Fundy but lost to Tantramar
3.  Fundy - beat Woodstock but lost to CN
4.  Woodstock - Beat Sugarloaf but lost to Fundy
5.  Sugarloaf - beat St. Stephen but lost to Woodstock
6.  St. Stephen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Rcotter Classic, day3 now wrapped up and if you caught some of it you saw some very exciting games, many high end athletes and some teams that are going home with a lengthy home work list if they plan to be around Harbour Station. Sunday finals features Fhs vs Lhhs, best rivalry in Nb. Mbball games featured very high scores and while def wasn't always present great shooting was evident. Teams who could score survived. Both finalists played tough teams, Fhs def Horton by 8, Leo won by 8 over de boeuf from Quebec. Should great final.AA schools got separated from their AAA rivals quite soundly. Anyone thinking KV was the best needs to reset, completely outclassed by Fhs and Horton, did def Wdsk but not by much. Lots to think about in the valley and Sj city as Sjhs not quite ready for prime either. Lots of talent on display for university recruiters from Carleton, Unb, Acadia etc. Cream rose to top as Mr Matumbo showed why he is best in Nb, Fhs will go as far as he can carry them. I leave the next rankings for some else once it wraps up, if you can catch final Sunday at 3pm Fhs gym should be fun to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:04 pm

LHHS by 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:09 am

It's a two team race now with LHHS in the lead as they have won twice in the FHS gym. KV totally out classed this weekend and SJHS's odd rotations and missing players make it difficult to understand what they are trying to accomplish. Unless there is some power in the west, it looks like we're headed for another Freddy showdown in the finals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:51 pm

I don't think its quite as big a gap as everyone thinks. Shut down a couple players and anything is possible. Ncnaugton lost to Leo Hayes by 3 a couple of weeks ago on the island. Anything can happen if you shut down a couple of guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Fhs boys def SJhs by 25 + pts at Currie Center today. Lhhs playing Riverview?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:32 am

Ok...let's try this again...post Christmas Break rankings:

1- KVHS - Just won the Dairytown and the 35 pt smackdown of Leo Hayes prior to Christmas has KV back on track and the #1 team in the province.

2- Leo Hayes - This team is most definitely the most unpredictable team in the province. Can beat the best, but can lose(or come very close) to just about anybody on any given day. Have fun trying to predict where they'll finish, she's a coin flip.

3- FHS - You can rank these 3 teams in any order...any/all could be 1st-3rd...FHS here because they haven't beaten Leo yet, I suspect that'll change during the Mike Fitz game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a difference between 1-3 and 4-rest.

4- Saint John High - Would have previously had Riverview here, but SJHS just beat them handily in Fredericton. Can score a lot of points, but usually give up just as many.

5- Riverview - Easily the biggest team in the province...if they use their size and are able to slow the game down, they can play with anyone.

This is where it gets a little bit tougher to separate the teams...everyone's beaten everyone.

6- MacNaughton - Win over SJHS and lost to Leo by 3 pts(yet to play RHS in league...should be good)

7- MVHS - Beat Leo early, but bad losses in Sussex and Woodstock over the break. Will finish 1st in the North...the regional weekend will be the key for this team. (haven't played a lot of the top teams yet)

Not really sure if anyone else is making a play at the top teams in guys basketball.

Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trailblazer

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 am

CoachDJR wrote:
I'm not sure what people are so concerned about the size issue at FHS and LHHS.

Is your concern that FHS and LHHS will not be able to guard bigger kids? Do we really doubt both these programs and coaches ability to gameplan for a season long issue of playing, defending and rebounding with small lineups? Or do we think the big players in these other programs so are great defensively they will be able to guard the dynamic perimeter players on the other team.

The only way the bigs make a difference is if all things are equal or relatively equal. If you tell me that one team has more shooting, scoring, athletic ability, defensive ability and dynamic play makers and the other team isn't as good but is bigger who do you think I'm taking?

WIth the exception of KV who may have the best of both worlds size and talent wise (not sure about depth of both as I'm not as familiar with their roster as I should be) I'm probably taking the pools of talented, tough athletes and LHHS and FHS over the rest.

I would say size was a factor for RHS having a 6 foot 6 guy at the top of their zone and the two bigs at the back kept scores down all through playoff rounds. You're not totally wrong about dynamic athletic guards though. You seem to have slept on Aram Currie and Jordan Rose though. Been saving this reply for a long time !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:26 am

Size certainly was a factor. If O'Neill plays for KVHS he nullifies the size and they win by 10+.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:32 am

breakercoach wrote:
Size certainly was a factor. If O'Neill plays for KVHS he nullifies the size and they win by 10+.

I get a chuckle when excuses are made because a player was missing, yet no one brings up Riverview missing one of their key rotation players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
#builtnotbought

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:34 am

breakercoach wrote:

....could have , would have , should have.......doesn't matter , take the loss with a little pride and tip your hats to the team that won.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:51 am

Riverview won that game.

Did KV have all its weapons? Nope. Did Riverview? Nope.

Riverview coaching staff tactically did a great job of using multiple zone looks to be able to play their big guys and not get eaten up by athletic wings and perimeters. Made KV jump shooters vs contested shots.

Riverivew has a couple of nice complimentary pieces in their athletic and dynamic guard play too.

Making whatever arguments you want, RHS coaching staff was able to maximize the value of their length. Demi dominated offensively and their guard play gave them enough offense for their defensive tactics to allow them to win that game.

In terms of most individual skills at both ends (ability to defend your own, ability to create your own shot, handle the ball, make plays for your teammates) I felt like KV had more skilled players then Riverview. Riverview though domianted the boards when it mattered, their athletic players and skilled kids made plays when they had to, and their length and tactics got the game at a point where they had a chance to make plays late.

Hats off to Riverview who gave themself a chance to win and took advantage. Unless I'm misinformed that makes two weekends in a row they are down by at least 2 possesions in the final minute and won in regulation. Congrats to the coaching staff for coming up with plans to let them play games they can win, and to their kids for making big plays down the stretch.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Trailblazer

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:07 am

Exactly thats my point
Games could have went either way throughout playoffs for many teams Im sure FHS would change a few things against KV if they got to play it again.
My point is there are different ways to win and your right RHS maximized what they had (size) and got it done. You can win big in NB
They got written off early and I think thats why it was so sweet for them in the end
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 am

I look back at the last post on this topic before this morning; and it was my own. I don't think anyone in their right mind would've counted Riverview out or dismissed them.

Beside Riverview I wrote, "Easily the biggest team in the province...if they can find a way to slow the game down, they can play with anyone."

I think that's a pretty accurate description of what happened. I now look back on myself at Christmas and say that I should've put money down, because even as big as they are, they were still considered the underdog(and that was a very fair evaluation, because they hadn't beaten any of the "big 3" at the time) and I would've made a good chunk of change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cashmoneybusiness

PostSubject: Watch out for esn    Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:18 pm

brady12 wrote:
What's happening throughout NB, I don't see much boys action. Thinking Leo Hayes will be strong, hear Val Nelson attending Leo if he can be academically eligible will make them even stronger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coaching for Development

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:31 am

Cashmoneybusiness wrote:
brady12 wrote:
What's happening throughout NB, I don't see much boys action. Thinking Leo Hayes will be strong, hear Val Nelson attending Leo if he can be academically eligible will make them even stronger.

It would be pretty hard for Val to play for both LHHS and Holland College.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:29 am

Cashmoneybusiness wrote:
brady12 wrote:

This is a comment from last September 2014 that "Cashmoneybusiness" decided to troll with.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boys basketball   Today at 5:27 am

Back to top Go down

Boys basketball
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3