HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

NBIAA Web Site/High School Sport Coverage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sou_by_Souwest

PostSubject: NBIAA Web Site/High School Sport Coverage   Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:29 am

OK, I admit it I love sports. I love high school sports of all kinds and like peaking in on results of various sports I am not intimately in touch with. I would love to know the standings for the 12 man football league and try to figure out who has a chance at qualifying for provincials for girls field hockey. This is easy information to find, right? Just turn to the NBIAA website and everything is there , wrong!!

NBIAA rolled out a new web site this fall, and lets just say things are in the state of chaos. Click on the 12 man football results and ranking link and you go to the W.S. Ritchie award winners page from last year. Could you have a more premiere sport than 12 man football !! I think you might want to get this one right. If I has a child that played football , I may be able to source the standings from the unofficial network of underground score keepers.

Thanks goodness for a passionate independent fan who has developed a great site: (http://www.gridironnewbrunswick.org/highschool.html). I know this is a lot of work and there have been a few of these attempted for NB basketball. Is anyone aware of someone doing this for basketball this upcoming year?

Click on field hockey and soccer result pages and find some teams have all their future games listed as 0-0 draws, so good luck tabulating a standing that means anything. Poor old Peticodiac has been promoted to AAA girls southwest soccer zone. Unfortunately for the non-premiere sports where a rabid fan has not taken the initiative to pull everything together, we are left flying blind.

Just a short drive south of us is Bangor. That part of Maine is a very sparsely populated area similar to New Brunswick. Peak in on their sports page on any given day (http://bangordailynews.com/sports/) and you will see it littered with high school sports stories about soccer, football and even field hockey!! Not just an occasional score, but full blown stories with scoring information and quotes from athletes and coaches.

So as New Brunswick sports fans shouldn't we demand more? As a starter the NBIAA needs to do its job and get the schedules out to the media organizations and present an organized and coherent web site. Then we need to challenge anyone we know in the media to change how they cover sports. We can read about NHL, MLB etc on many, many media sites. Lighten up on the coverage of major league sports. Tell us what's happening in our local community.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA Web Site/High School Sport Coverage   Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:50 am

We should demand and expect more. It would be great if we had a culture that could grow more competitive and demanding. Lets make sure though that we are comparing apples and apples. I dig Maine's high school basketball culture but you are talking about coaches and AD's that are both paid to do those jobs. Maybe not full time salaries but still compensated.

If NB coaches and AD's were paid and part of the job description was keeping stuff updated it would happen. When you rely on volunteers with different levels of priority and interest in their sports, comeptitiveness, and things like recording/reporting there is a lot less accountability to be had.

Not sure why there are so many glitches with NBIAA site this year (typos, redirects, etc). I don't think anyone wants to run a bad site.

From a basketball perspective: THe fact is the most concerned coaches, AD's and players don't use the NBIAA site to find out info they use the Gale Jeffrey mailing list or just communicate with coaches/players/commishners directly. If the most invested stakeholders aren't using your site that is a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA Web Site/High School Sport Coverage   Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Who needs the NBIAA..when we have DJR?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA Web Site/High School Sport Coverage   Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Metta Peace wrote:
Who needs the NBIAA..when we have DJR?

I group of passionate paid proffesionals has to be better then part time volunteer who can't teach kids to make free throws Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NBIAA Web Site/High School Sport Coverage   Today at 8:51 pm

Back to top Go down

NBIAA Web Site/High School Sport Coverage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1